Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-06-2021, 01:39 AM   #1471
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

It's such a scarey environment out there.....golly gosh...the CBA announced interest rates would climb by a stratospheric 1.25% in twelve months or so.

There will be blood on the streets...LOL......I guess if you budgetted for 2% it's a show stopper....

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 02:40 PM   #1472
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
It's such a scarey environment out there.....golly gosh...the CBA announced interest rates would climb by a stratospheric 1.25% in twelve months or so.

There will be blood on the streets...LOL......I guess if you budgetted for 2% it's a show stopper....
Banks won't want to cause a run on mum and dad lenders. That would be catastrophic for everyone, including the banks. The rate rises will be managed, it may squeeze a few people who have been borrowing on the edge.

Of course, unforseen external market forces could always change everything, but hopefully we've learnt from the past and have enough measures in place.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #1473
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the start of pandemic, a banker mate of mine said that the average borrower had an 18 month cushion before they would run into default. If that is true, any sudden rate rises should be manageable, and allow people to get out in an orderly fashion. Hopeful thinking.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 25-06-2021, 08:49 PM   #1474
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last weekend one of the houses in my mum's street went up for auction. So naturally she was curious what it would go for since it's basically the same plan as hers. A bit nicer inside but not much different.

It went for the better part of $800k! To put this in perspective she paid $40k back in the early 80's and it is a suburb which by Canberra's standards has traditionally been a bit rough.

People are flocking to the big lots down south here it seems. Her lot is bigger. She said her heart was pumping after the hammer!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 10:06 PM   #1475
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Where (which provider) are NSW people here going for title searches? Just need a couple of one-offs to find possible mortgagors without being on the radar.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 09:12 AM   #1476
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What seems weird to me is, area I am looking to buy in Adelaide's north east, I could get an "acceptable" 30 year old house with either 3 or 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for about $580-$620k but then need to put about $50-$70k into it to redo the old bathrooms and kitchens etc...so looking at mid to high $600k's to have a freshened up but still fundamentally 30 year old house with 30 year old pluming and still slightly smaller rooms as was the norm back in 80s and 90s.

Or I could spend low to mid $400k's to buy one of the ****tier houses in same area, still on large block but only 1 bathroom, carport instead of garage and not much going for it - knock it down, spend $220-$250k building a brand new 5 bedroom 2 bathroom 2 living areas house, cost would be about high $600ks to $700k.

I don't understand why more wouldn't spend the extra $20-$50k to end up with a much better, bigger modern house with brand new plumbing and electrical etc.

Is it the cost and inconvenience of having to rent while building? Because what you end up with versus what you spend, building you'd end up with a house that you could easily sell for more than what it cost you; buying establishing you end up with something that is worth what you paid (or in current market you probably pay slightly overs but within months that should/could be the market price).

What am I missing?
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 09:15 AM   #1477
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Where (which provider) are NSW people here going for title searches? Just need a couple of one-offs to find possible mortgagors without being on the radar.
You used to be able to do it online but last time I tried I needed to visit land titles office in the city to get ownership details of a property.

If you know a real estate agent they can look it up on their RP Data account.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 09:19 AM   #1478
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A private individual can't order LTO searches any more - you need to be a registered LTO "agent". I'd suggest a local solicitor/conveyancer might be the best avenue.
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #1479
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
What seems weird to me is, area I am looking to buy in Adelaide's north east, I could get an "acceptable" 30 year old house with either 3 or 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms for about $580-$620k but then need to put about $50-$70k into it to redo the old bathrooms and kitchens etc...so looking at mid to high $600k's to have a freshened up but still fundamentally 30 year old house with 30 year old pluming and still slightly smaller rooms as was the norm back in 80s and 90s.

Or I could spend low to mid $400k's to buy one of the ****tier houses in same area, still on large block but only 1 bathroom, carport instead of garage and not much going for it - knock it down, spend $220-$250k building a brand new 5 bedroom 2 bathroom 2 living areas house, cost would be about high $600ks to $700k.

I don't understand why more wouldn't spend the extra $20-$50k to end up with a much better, bigger modern house with brand new plumbing and electrical etc.

Is it the cost and inconvenience of having to rent while building? Because what you end up with versus what you spend, building you'd end up with a house that you could easily sell for more than what it cost you; buying establishing you end up with something that is worth what you paid (or in current market you probably pay slightly overs but within months that should/could be the market price).

What am I missing?
Right now there is a huge supply issue with building materials.

I would think that to build a decent 5br 2 bath 2 living area house you would need at least $320-380k once you include landscaping, driveway and all the usual extras you add to the base price of the house.

3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #1480
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a Statemans Homes 'Adelaide Alfresco Mark II' with the walk-in pantry and shower niche options priced up at just over $220k including floor coverings and all appliances like ovens and cooktops and dishwashers and reverse cycle ducted etc, with $25k allowance for footings. Inside would just be up for window coverings; outside definitely up for landscaping and driveway etc (but comes with metre paths and no need to pave an outdoor entertaining area as the Alfresco under main roof would be good enough for our needs.

So yeah, probably more looking at or just over $700k, but the end result would be worth so much more than if I spent same money on one of the established houses in same area.

Have heard re the shortage of materials from all builders - apparently big shortage of wood for frames that will not be ending anytime soon due deal signed to supply America with wood before our local market. This has seen a lot of people switch to steel-frame builders, and 2 builders said they expect steel shortage in 2 to 3 months at which point Govco will panic as they reckon 80% of the domestic home building industry could nearly grind to a halt (including all the tradies)
Old 28-06-2021, 09:56 AM   #1481
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B - CV8 View Post
A private individual can't order LTO searches any more - you need to be a registered LTO "agent". I'd suggest a local solicitor/conveyancer might be the best avenue.
I know it changed substantially, found out the hard way (inconvenienced) - but several agencies offer a service with search results like this sample:
I’d assume the title search result they want $35-odd to furnish, includes mortagor details. Is this assumption now wrong in NSW?
Old 28-06-2021, 10:00 AM   #1482
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Et…
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva
Have heard re the shortage of materials from all builders - apparently big shortage of wood for frames that will not be ending anytime soon due deal signed to supply America with wood before our local market. This has seen a lot of people switch to steel-frame builders, and 2 builders said they expect steel shortage in 2 to 3 months at which point Govco will panic as they reckon 80% of the domestic home building industry could nearly grind to a halt (including all the tradies)
I can almost guarantee that every skerrick of every house demolished around my area (and it is the urban planning Wild West; see my other thread) all materials will be crushed to a powder or fibres - nil recycling as a whole.
Old 28-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #1483
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I know it changed substantially, found out the hard way (inconvenienced) - but several agencies offer a service with search results like this sample:

I’d assume the title search result they want $35-odd to furnish, includes mortagor details. Is this assumption now wrong in NSW?
Around 2 years ago it was $14 over the counter in the Land titles office in the city.

I can't remember what the printout showed but I was only after ownership details.

This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2021, 10:13 AM   #1484
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Exactly. Back a few years it was cheap and easy.

I just don’t want to show my cards to anyone yet, prefer to do homework by myself. Have been generally disappointed by ethics of agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Around 2 years ago it was $14 over the counter in the Land titles office in the city.

I can't remember what the printout showed but I was only after ownership details.

Old 28-06-2021, 10:26 AM   #1485
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Exactly. Back a few years it was cheap and easy.

I just don’t want to show my cards to anyone yet, prefer to do homework by myself. Have been generally disappointed by ethics of agents.
Just looked it up. Still possible, they bumped up the price to $15 now.

https://www.nswlrs.com.au/Fees

Old 28-06-2021, 10:40 PM   #1486
Trendseeker

Quote:

What am I missing?
You’re right. A lot of people don’t want to rent, would rather move straight into another house and don’t want to deal with the hassles and small risks of rebuilding.

The difference in cost of major renovations on an older house and demolishing and building a new one is not a great deal more.

We did it, quite a few years ago now, and it’s worth the hassle.

Quote:
Have been generally disappointed by ethics of agents.
They rarely fail to disappoint.
Old 29-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #1487
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
...The difference in cost of major renovations on an older house and demolishing and building a new one is not a great deal more.
This really does seem to be the case - particularly if going further than gut and refurb of kitchens and bathrooms or removing/moving a few internal walls etc...if bumping out (or particularly if trying to build up) it quickly approaches or exceeds cost to rebuild. Have also been told it is generally quicker or similar time to build than do major renno (in times when there are no shortages of materials and trades).

And that is based on quotes for best case scenario - they are quick to add "but costs could blow out as we don't know what the plumbing and electrical is like or what other surprises are lurking in the walls from the original builder in the 70s or 80s".

We're looking at everything right now - established homes that are move-in ready, established homes that need a reno, established homes that need reno and build on/up, established homes that could be knocked down and rebuilt, and vacant blocks of land.

Still looking at one block but is scary...block slopes away from the road, first half of the block is level, back half has been cut away so there is 3m drop to rear of block. Plan is build single level at front that then drops to 2 story at the rear where the 3m cut-out is, but I'm seriously spooked by footing and retaining costs - waiting on a builder to look at it to get an indicative price, which I am then going to double their quote for footings and retaining as have heard so many horror stories. Fairly certain what they quote will see me walk way from this one.
Old 29-06-2021, 12:17 PM   #1488
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Quote:
Try Citec confirm CB - Infotrack are expensive, citec are $17.44, with a downloadable certificate of title pdf.
https://www.confirm.com.au/
Just need the lot and DP of course.
https://www.confirm.com.au/products/land/

Amazing what you find - I still had a mortgage registered that was paid out 20yrs ago.
Let me know if you need help - I have a citec acct.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #1489
Trendseeker

Quote:
Still looking at one block but is scary...block slopes away from the road.
Yes, the costs will increase significantly if the block requires more work than the standard slab construction included in the project home price. Anything you save on the price for a block with a substantial drop will be spent on the extra planning and building costs.
Old 29-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #1490
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Thanks Snap!
Old 29-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #1491
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Let us know how you get on.
If you don't want to gin around creating an acct(you need to add $$$ to your acct for the searches), I can do the searches for you, and just reimburse me.

Do it soon of course, prices rise 01Jul.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #1492
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was a report on the other day, showing how auctions go through the roof after every lock down. Agents were saying its due to FOMO during lock down. If that is true, expect to see another spike soon!

Have noticed a few brokers upgrading their valuation on stocks that are heavily linked to interest rates, could be a sign of things to come.

Also everyone should shop around more often on their lenders! Just completed a refinance and moved to a new lender. Went through a broker and the entire process was absolutely seamless....why haven't I been doing this more often?!?! Saved 0.7% on a couple of loans and over 1% on another. Been with the previous lender for over 15 years.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 05:05 PM   #1493
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
There was a report on the other day, showing how auctions go through the roof after every lock down. Agents were saying its due to FOMO during lock down. If that is true, expect to see another spike soon!

Have noticed a few brokers upgrading their valuation on stocks that are heavily linked to interest rates, could be a sign of things to come.

Also everyone should shop around more often on their lenders! Just completed a refinance and moved to a new lender. Went through a broker and the entire process was absolutely seamless....why haven't I been doing this more often?!?! Saved 0.7% on a couple of loans and over 1% on another. Been with the previous lender for over 15 years.
I wish the c**t of an industry would crash already.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 05:06 PM   #1494
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post

[QUOTE=Charliewool]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Not encouraging violence or "how to man up"

Regardless of topic, Can’t resist a crack,eh Germaine?
I feel that way too sometimes. it wont be long though

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2021, 05:12 PM   #1495
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for. A crash will have flow on effect, and likely also impact people who don't hold property.

Or are you trying to get in Poyal?

Rides (past and present)

Old 23-07-2021, 05:13 PM   #1496
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
fairly broad and **** comment
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2021, 07:30 AM   #1497
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
fairly broad and **** comment
Learning from the best

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator
Be careful what you wish for. A crash will have flow on effect, and likely also impact people who don't hold property.

Or are you trying to get in Poyal?
Know full well what it means, real estate is used to mask a lot of underhanded write offs and fake wealth in this country...the one thing that we should be giving a "fair go" for is a roof over peoples heads.

Im all ready to go, have been for years, but to transient to bother to buy something as its not worth the hassle..but been waiting for the "adjustment" which even Covid didnt deliver...yet..the industry is so heavily backed by Govco its almost bulletproof; thats my issue with it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #1498
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Agreed; I think government of nearly any stripe here would defend real estate investment with their dying breaths. Certainly east coast including Tasmania.
Old 26-07-2021, 08:14 AM   #1499
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Agreed; I think government of nearly any stripe here would defend real estate investment with their dying breaths. Certainly east coast including Tasmania.
And by extension defending the banks I suppose... home loans are their bread and butter are they not?

I think its in a nearly 100 year old hansard somewhere.. protect the banks at all costs.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #1500
leesa

Quote:
Yeah there's no way the government are going to let real estate be subject to natural fluctuations. The manufacturing industry in this country has gone, the housing industry is like a big ol' profitable vehicle and they will drive it as long as they can.

I think I said it earlier but incase I didn't, the country is lazy and needs to stop exploiting the limited resource of a basic need like shelter.

Manufacturing needs to come back. For that to happen, housing needs to a relevant price so that even factory workers can buy a house.

Farming needs to stay in the country and feed the australian population first; export the EXCESS if need be but a lot of our best quality stuff if sent overseas and aussies get what's left. The farmers don't mind putting their hands out to the australian people during times of drought though.

Housing needs to be a closed system, no foreign investment and no government manipulation. We will never have australian jobs being enough to buy australian housing when people from other countries can buy up real estate and leave it empty. They're just contributing to limiting the supply.
How can the industry ever find equilibrium when there is so much leverage from other forces? It never will and the government like it that way because it's incredibly profitable.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: