Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-08-2020, 01:52 PM   #721
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Its not the max power output of the inverter but the continuous rating it supplies which is important and be careful of powerpack inverters advertised as sinewave as a few I have come across will do more harm than good.
Oh? Thats interesting. I was hoping to get a unit that would charge laptop battery ok with something like this https://itechworld.com.au/collection...ging-itech300p

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #722
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Oh? Thats interesting. I was hoping to get a unit that would charge laptop battery ok with something like this https://itechworld.com.au/collection...ging-itech300p
I bought one like that from Jaycar (as I have a trade card) its a pure sinewave which will not damage the electronics in a laptop as thats exactly what I use it for.
I live offgrid and have found you can normally get everything which will power 12 24v devices. But my ASUS eep has this weird 18v power supply with a unique power plug no one sells so use this for said duties.

Powering a frig is the hardest thing to reasonably achieve with solar/battery unless to are moving most days.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2020, 03:09 PM   #723
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I bought one like that from Jaycar (as I have a trade card) its a pure sinewave which will not damage the electronics in a laptop as thats exactly what I use it for.
I live offgrid and have found you can normally get everything which will power 12 24v devices. But my ASUS eep has this weird 18v power supply with a unique power plug no one sells so use this for said duties.

Powering a frig is the hardest thing to reasonably achieve with solar/battery unless to are moving most days.
Laptops are normally 19v
Old 13-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #724
Trevor 57
is now there

hahaha, I got banned from Caravaners Forum for a month Prydey - too political apparently
Old 13-08-2020, 03:25 PM   #725
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Laptops are normally 19v
Yes and why its hard to find the odd square plug adaptor, Its technically not a laptop, 18v mate.

Old 13-08-2020, 03:36 PM   #726
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:

Ok thats good to know. Am I better off getting a unit like this then?

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/last-c...power-station/

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-08-2020, 03:43 PM   #727
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Ok thats good to know. Am I better off getting a unit like this then?

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/last-c...power-station/
Actually there is a great comparison between the different models on youtube somewhere I view recently.
What the Yanks call Jackery's, shows the ones you linked here just gotta watch what you use them for.
The biggest problem with them is recharging them as via power they are slower to recharge than via a larger solar panel due to a panel supplying a much higher boost rate (with no controller) than the regulated power coming in from AC.
I can recharge mine in a couple of hours using an unregulated 64W Canon solar panel, where as I have used a 240v regulated socket (at a motel) to recharge, with it taking something like 6 hours.

Note.. the MPPT built in controller can regulate the boost charge from a unregulated solar panel, hence why they are more efficient at recharging than mains power. Normally for anything else, never use a unregulated solar panel over 40W.

Last edited by roKWiz; 13-08-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 13-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #728
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Well the laptop is an occasional item, the battery will mainly power a small waeco fridge, camera batteries and phone and a usb light. But getting the right unit is the thing Im having trouble with. I dont want to overkill the spend but I dont want to underdo it either.

I do intend on getting a portable solar setup though. So if Im off grid I dont mind setting that up and charging during the day while I still use the battery.

My laptop is a 17" HP unit. Im assuming its 18V. So I was hoping either the Goal Zero unit or can I get away with a smaller unit like this? https://itechworld.com.au/collection...-power-station

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 13-08-2020 at 03:58 PM.
Old 13-08-2020, 04:14 PM   #729
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Well the laptop is an occasional item, it will mainly power a small waeco fridge, camera batteries and phone and a usb light. But getting the right unit is the thing Im having trouble with. I dont want to overkill the spend but I dont want to underdo it either.

I do intend on getting a portable solar setup though. So if Im off grid I dont mind setting that up and charging during the day while I still use the battery.

My laptop is a 17" HP unit. Im assuming its 18V. So I was hoping either the Goal Zero unit or can I get away with a smaller unit like this? https://itechworld.com.au/collection...-power-station
Refrigeration is the hardest thing to achieve offgrid, all depends what type of current draw and how often the frig cycles. part of the reason why offgrid homes rarely have solar/battery powered refrigeration (gas frig)
Just an example....Some of those little camping frigs might consume 5 amps per hour, cycle on and off for upto 16 hours a day/night depend on ambient temps.
At 80amp/h from 100amp/h deep cycle LiPo 80% discharge and that just the frig. Something not possible with a lead acid battery bank.

Like others have said, you need to work out exactly what you might use and base your battery bank/ solar array to be capable to recharge the storage capacity then allow extra for cloudy wet days when the panels are deeply shaded.
Most appliances have there power ratings listed.

NB your laptop is probably like Pyrdey said a 19V unless its a goofy 12V, 18V EEpc or there is a 21V one floating around I've seen.

Old 13-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #730
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Refrigeration is the hardest thing to achieve offgrid, all depends what type of current draw and how often the frig cycles. part of the reason why offgrid homes rarely have solar/battery powered refrigeration (gas frig)
Just an example....Some of those little camping frigs might consume 5 amps per hour, cycle on and off for upto 16 hours a day/night depend on ambient temps.
At 80amp/h from 100amp/h deep cycle LiPo 80% discharge and that just the frig. Something not possible with a lead acid battery bank.

Like others have said, you need to work out exactly what you might use and base your battery bank/ solar array to be capable to recharge the storage capacity then allow extra for cloudy wet days when the panels are deeply shaded.

NB your laptop is probably like Pyrdey said a 19V unless its a goofy 12V, 18V EEpc or there is a 21V one floating around I've seen.
Gotcha. The unit I have is a cooler type. Non refrigerator style from Aldi. Was told that will chew power as the fan is constantly on compared to a proper fridge which uses power only to maintain temp when needed.

I will probably get a small Dometic type fridge for the types of off grid camping I do. Probably better off getting that first then working out all my appliances and getting a battery to suit.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-08-2020, 04:27 PM   #731
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Gotcha. The unit I have is a cooler type. Non refrigerator style from Aldi. Was told that will chew power as the fan is constantly on compared to a proper fridge which uses power only to maintain temp when needed.

I will probably get a small Dometic type fridge for the types of off grid camping I do. Probably better off getting that first then working out all my appliances and getting a battery to suit.
Last 12v frig I bought for the motorhome, first thing I did was check it power consumption on the back but this is an 90lts upright built in unit.....and its still crap.
yep work out your power consumerables (is that a word) first.

Old 13-08-2020, 04:28 PM   #732
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
hahaha, I got banned from Caravaners Forum for a month Prydey - too political apparently
Haha, really? Not that you'll miss much
Old 13-08-2020, 06:21 PM   #733
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Been reading up on the Wacaco Nespresso pod coffee unit Rob and the reviews arent great. Can you provide your review on it? Need to know if its worth getting or not. Anaconda are selling them for $56 at club prices.

Otherwise I'll just use the ROK unit Ive had.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #734
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Been reading up on the Wacaco Nespresso pod coffee unit Rob and the reviews arent great. Can you provide your review on it? Need to know if its worth getting or not. Anaconda are selling them for $56 at club prices.

Otherwise I'll just use the ROK unit Ive had.

Stick with the ROK.

I'm happy with my nanopresso, and have bought the pod adapter as well, but it's not as solid as what you already have. The downside is ones like yours need a bench of some sort.

What I have is very fiddly as well. There is one that is rechargeable and has a motor instead of a pump but I can't remember the name of it. Brother just bought a Flair one. Similar process to the Rok.

If I had my time again I wouldn't have bought the nanopresso... Not saying it's bad, just not as cheap as first thought once all the extras were bought (bigger baskets, water container, tamp, pod adapter...)
Old 13-08-2020, 07:41 PM   #735
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Early tech here in Aus atm, but there is a lot of noise about 48V battery systems in caravans etc now...

https://www.safiery.com/mega-240v-power-RV-48V-lithium
Old 13-08-2020, 09:53 PM   #736
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Stick with the ROK.

I'm happy with my nanopresso, and have bought the pod adapter as well, but it's not as solid as what you already have. The downside is ones like yours need a bench of some sort.

What I have is very fiddly as well. There is one that is rechargeable and has a motor instead of a pump but I can't remember the name of it. Brother just bought a Flair one. Similar process to the Rok.

If I had my time again I wouldn't have bought the nanopresso... Not saying it's bad, just not as cheap as first thought once all the extras were bought (bigger baskets, water container, tamp, pod adapter...)
I read that the Nanopress has burnt a number of people due to the hot water segment not being able to full seal under pressure. Also, I have weak hands, and someone mentioned that it would be a double handed job to get the pressure up.

I think I'll stick with the ROK. Ive had it for years just never used it much.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 13-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #737
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I read that the Nanopress has burnt a number of people due to the hot water segment not being able to full seal under pressure. Also, I have weak hands, and someone mentioned that it would be a double handed job to get the pressure up.

I think I'll stick with the ROK. Ive had it for years just never used it much.
Never had those issues and the pump doesn't physically create the pressure...

The pumping action is pretty good. If it's too hard you just grind the beans slightly more coarse.

But yeah, don't buy one if you have a Rok already.
Old 14-08-2020, 02:31 AM   #738
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I cant fathom a discussion about coffee machines in the camping thread, harden the **** up ladies and grab yourselves a billy and jar of Nescafe..

As for the fridge, considered a 3way which will run on LPG?

The key to maintaining appliances on 12v isn't about how much reserves you have, its about how much generation you need to bring it back up as quick as possible.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 05:46 AM   #739
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Haha, really? Not that you'll miss much
in the Victorian COVID thread, idiots from interstate were posting what I thought was inappropriate stuff abut Victoria so I climbed into them - nek minit BANNED

I am debating whether I will actually go back - it doesn't add much value to my life
Old 14-08-2020, 05:48 AM   #740
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I cant fathom a discussion about coffee machines in the camping thread, harden the **** up ladies and grab yourselves a billy and jar of Nescafe..

The key to maintaining appliances on 12v isn't about how much reserves you have, its about how much generation you need to bring it back up as quick as possible.
3 ways are the best, just don't sleep in a tent or camper without it being properly vented to the outside, and I mean PROPERLY vented. There has been deaths relating to them not being. A bloke died at Bathurst a few years ago, he slept in the back of his wagon with his fridge on gas
Old 14-08-2020, 05:50 AM   #741
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:

we bush camp 2 weeks at a time, in a caravan though, fridge is a 3 way, they use bugger all LPG when running on gas, it saves your batteries big time

I do have a 40ltr Engel in the back of the Ranger, I plug in a portable 250w solar panel to keep the battery at its peak
Old 14-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #742
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Was thinking the same thing.
1st world problem.
Gas or Kero frigs are they only real way to achieve true offgrid food storage. LONG TERM. Unless you are prepared to lug around huge solar arrays with matching banks.
Little top loading frigs in the back of your car are impossible to live with full time.

Old 14-08-2020, 08:29 AM   #743
prydey
Rob

Quote:
To each their own. My taste buds still work so what you suggest will never cut it

Not relevant to off grid discussion but this comes with me whenever I have access to power. I don't care what other people think is right or wrong or 'proper' camping.
Old 14-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #744
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:

Nescafe??? WTF? You're an animal

May as well fill the billy with dirt and sift the remains through a sock!

As for the fridge and battery setup. Been talking to the mrs on what we want and need. Plan is to get a Avan camper (the A frame units) with kitchenette etc all built in. If thats the case, they come with AGM battery, a/c, lpg and HWS built in, negating the need for a portable setup.

So I may hold off for now if that is the direction we will take in the next few months.

The information in this thread has educated me a lot though.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 14-08-2020 at 12:21 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #745
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To each their own. My taste buds still work so what you suggest will never cut it

Not relevant to off grid discussion but this comes with me whenever I have access to power. I don't care what other people think is right or wrong or 'proper' camping.
Well as far as I am concerned( which I,m not) parking your caravan or trailer next to a 240 v power outlet is NOT camping.Camping is parking way way from civilisation and lighting a camp fire to cook and boil water for your coffee.If you want machine coffee go to the cafe or servo.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #746
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well as far as I am concerned( which I,m not) parking your caravan or trailer next to a 240 v power outlet is NOT camping.Camping is parking way way from civilisation and lighting a camp fire to cook and boil water for your coffee.If you want machine coffee go to the cafe or servo.
to some significant others, this style of caravaning is all they will entertain if we are to get them out. My mrs is the same, but I prefer to go off grid. But having the option to go to a CP is good too.

To each their own.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #747
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The beauty of choice

Camping to me isn't some competition as to who is more genuine or authentic. Just get out and enjoy the country.

And to clarify, never camped in a caravan park except in halls gap, and plenty of space there with no neighbours.

Last edited by prydey; 14-08-2020 at 12:39 PM.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #748
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Ah, the Aussie resort er caravan park, nothing like looking at the vans next door crammed in like sardines with their outside awning light and A/C left running all night.

Hows that serenity.

Old 14-08-2020, 12:37 PM   #749
prydey
Rob

Quote:
As for the fridge and battery setup. Been talking to the mrs on what we want and need. Plan is to get a Avan camper (the A frame units) with kitchenette etc all built in. If thats the case, they come with AGM battery, a/c, lpg and HWS built in, negating the need for a portable setup.

So I may hold off for now if that is the direction we will take in the next few months.

The information in this thread has educated me a lot though.
Don't rush in to buying anything. Some caravan rental places may even have a small avan type van to try so you can see if it's for you.

Not sure if you are planning to tow with your subie (if you still have it) but some cars are limited with how much they can have on the ball so check that out too... I know avans don't weigh much so should be ok on that front but always cheaper to check everything out first.
Old 14-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #750
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Don't rush in to buying anything. Some caravan rental places may even have a small avan type van to try so you can see if it's for you.

Not sure if you are planning to tow with your subie (if you still have it) but some cars are limited with how much they can have on the ball so check that out too... I know avans don't weigh much so should be ok on that front but always cheaper to check everything out first.
He might have to rush in as its a sellers market ATM according to other threads. With the limited travel Australian's are going to enjoy for quite a while I don't reckon there will be much of a choice.