Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #1
thearrow

Angry Aircon compressor.....

Has anyone had to replace their aircon compressor on their Cougar???

I am having trouble finding a replacement.

Does anyone know the correct part no. for a 2000 model??

As usual my investigation have shown that Ford used a variety of different manufacturers over the life of Cougars.

Good to own but "High Maintenance"

2000 Model Eibach Cougar (Auto) - Now dead & buried
thearrow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2014, 11:12 PM   #2
REDDYZ

Default Re: Aircon compressor.....

Sorry to hear about your aircon.

I have been through all this and I can tell its not easy to find a replacement.

Best and easy option is wreckers. I can give you part number in Jan. I have a spare a/c compressor that I bought for $450 or $500 from wreckers few years back. The thread housing for that bolt from a/c hoses that bolts on to the compressor is cracked I think.

I kept it as spare in Melbourne at my sister's place. I am going to Melbourne on Jan 1st and then I can give you exact part number.

Meanwhile this might help.

http://fordaccompressors.blogspot.co...croll-pv6.html

If you see any compressor that has different hose location then its wrong one. The one listed in the link definitely fits our Cougars.

What happened to your compressor anyway? Reason am asking is, mine was leaking gas which later I found that its from a fine crack at the hose joint and not the compressor. Few couple of a/c repairers couldn't spot this. Even die test, pressure test couldn't didn't help. Just a wiggle did the magic though.

Finding the hose was another epic that eventually ended sourcing from Wreckers.

Cheers
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-12-2014, 12:05 AM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Approach an auto electrician who deals with A/C stuff, or check out Ashdowns as they're a A/C component distributor.

Also any workshop which does A/C should be able to make up new A/C hoses if you have any issues.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
thearrow

Spoke to my auto electrician yesterday and he is going to drop the unit down and see if he can get the part no. off it his advice is that it is just not pressuring the system. According to Ford it is XS7H19497AC however I would be more comfortable knowing it exactly.

I am reluctant to buy one from a wrecker because the unit will be at least 14 years old and you only get a 3 month warranty anyway.

The units are available in the UK as they were the same units used on the old Mondeo's in the UK and there were 1000's of them sold during their production run so there are plenty of new OEM ones around.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:12 PM   #5
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I purchased an mondeo scroll compressor from UK. when I was chasing a clutch asm for a FORD HALLA compressor verion.

the scoll pump with low temperature pressure temperature control valve It was to suit the mondeo and MG engine.

the ports on the front- I kept it as I had planed to use it on the last AU--but it never died before the car did.

compressor cost a few pounds to buy from a clearance sale and 60 GBP for DHL. It wa confiscated by customs for a short time as it was prohibited import with out a lience. that I had.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2014, 01:45 PM   #6
thearrow

Dave if it's not to much trouble and you still have it.....what is the part no.?

Old 11-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #7
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

has ford ports on the side not on top.
manifold type with alinement stud.

Ford scroll yellow label-sanden style type pump with control valve.

2002sept03
V64N-190629-AB
P2

under lined number could be a letter as its smudged.
1198 will be the sanden number,

has Focus as well written on tag.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #8
thearrow

A pity it is not the right one as the Cougar compressor has the ports on the top.

Old 12-12-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have worked on a few. the hassle wasn't getting the a/c to work but getting a clutch bearing and pulley to line up with the belt. The compressor was available at the time but the owners didn't want to pay.

Halla or Visteon compressor you can use the casing and fit in a cheap internals as long as the bearing hasn't destroyed the compressor nose. the sanden [ford scroll] you can swap the internals into the original housing but clearances are critical.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-MONDE...item23457aecf9

the photo has part number on it. new part.
similar advertised for double price jag X type and MG.
Old 26-12-2014, 09:36 AM   #11
Thunderbird

A while back the place in Wollongong had sourced these out correctly and landed 6 brand new out of Taiwan (not china).. who directly or indirectly were the supplier or aftermarket supplier of them for the EU & UK market. Apparently the cost was up around A$600 and for that they made around $50 after import and taxes..but they did find the 100% correct units.., then as people also wanted endless warranties nationwide... but in fitting them would cut corners and not replace filters/ switches... it was not viable to warrant or maintain more inbound. You get no warranty realistically on a ebay sale out of the UK on something like this after what.. 4 weeks after it would arrive if your lucky.... Ford once had them for around $2300 if I recall....more then many of the cars are now worth.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #12
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A supplier for my last employer sourced components from singapore/malaysia and often tiawan via singapore. then supply factory parts supply chain-so they could claim local content. Most of these gents have retired ans sold out to multinationals following the last government logics.

often they dump 20 liter buckets of seconds for us that had been incorectly supplied-metric treads-or silly stuff like semi assembled for a production line.

depending of what the cause of a visteon compressor failure you need to do a full rebuild of the system as they a fragile. the scroll pump spins at high speed and is known for oil starvation-hence the control equalisation valve in the rear on the expencive versions.

most of the replacments I have done are due to wet weather and pulley/clutch coil failures. the bearing destroys the alloy nose.
Old 27-12-2014, 10:41 PM   #13
thearrow

I think I am on the right track now. As these units were used in Jaguars, Mondeos and Mazda's then you would think were plenty of them around. In the UK they were used on Mondeos and X-type Jags and there 1000"s of them sold in Europe so you would have to think they were available.

It seems to me that when Ford USA sent the Cougars to Europe to be Europeanised Ford Eorope changed the fuel pumps (cos the yanks were already having problems) and the aircon compressors (probably for the same reason).

Anyway I am not worried about warranty because it's a bit hard to claim it from a company in the UK that is just a risk I have to take.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:18 AM   #14
thearrow

Received my new compressor on Friday and will get it fitted this week as I am also in the process of getting my timing chain cover gasket repaired a common fault on the Duratec 2.5 motors.

Apparently this is a huge job.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
REDDYZ

You might want to get rocker cover gaskets replaced as well. I changed timing cover gaskets on mine and personally I recommend to have sump gasket handy. Because timing cover sits on sump and when you take timing cover off it peels off rubber seals from sump gasket. You will then have to use silicone to seal it.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
REDDYZ

UIM, rocker covers, mount, power steering pump, mount bracket and many more bits and pieces has to come off. (Maybe LIM as well, don't remember).

Old 13-01-2015, 11:03 AM   #17
thearrow

Yes I think I got everything from Rockauto a while ago but my mechanic will get what ever I have missed. Just hope it all goes back together OK.

I am also replacing the chain guides.

I recently replaced the throttle position sensor and jeez it has made a big difference much better economy and throttle response.

Old 20-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #18
thearrow

Back on the road after a major overhaul, new aircon compressor went straight on (which was a relief ).....however new water pump, new power steering pump new engine mounts a complete clean of the UIM & LIM and throttle body new timing chain tensioners and now I am about $2000 poorer but worth it I think.

The timing chain cover leak is now fixed so it won't be ****ing oil out now. I already had a lot of the gaskets and parts from Rockauto so that kept the price down.

All up about 10 hours of labour.

Old 20-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #19
REDDYZ

Nice. Good to see you back on road. Yes its definitely worth.

Old 22-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #20
thearrow

Took it for a "burn" the other night and man-o-man it has so much more power and strangely it is a LOT louder.

Old 23-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #21
BC1000stars

That's great to hear! Literally I'm sure! Haha
Cleaning the uim and probably more importantly the lim on our motors is essential, especially for the smooth operation of the IMRC.
Have you blanked off the EGR? This keeps the manifolds nice and clean.
On mine, the v6 Mondeo, Ford actually deleted the egr system from about June 2000. I think they finally realized it was doing more harm than good!
Old 23-01-2015, 08:51 AM   #22
REDDYZ

This is interesting. I never thought of blocking EGR. EBlocking it gives a bit more acceleration as well. At the moment I have an oil catch can. Which is perfectly doing its job. However the lengthy hoses creates a bit of vacuum lag. I compromised on power to keep manifolds clean. I am interested to see how they blocked off the hoses.

Old 23-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #23
BC1000stars

The pipes from the exhaust manifold are no longer there, the DPFE sensor is gone, the egr valve and solenoid are gone too and there is a simple blanking plate over where the egr enters the uim. Plus they deleted it from the ecu.
A simple blanking plate over the holes to the uim will keep your manifolds in a much healthier state. The car will throw a code (for restricted egr flow) but is no issue cos there's no check engine light on the ST24.
An essential mod on our engines imho.
I blanked mine when I fitted the st200 (SVT) manifolds about a year ago and don't regret it for a second.
Old 23-01-2015, 11:42 AM   #24
BC1000stars

I'm unaware if the Cougar has check engine lights on the dash i meant to say, was just pointing out it wasn'ta big issue for me with my car. Different car, same engine.
Old 25-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #25
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

English sold cars used different fuel to Europe and during the unleaded changeover loads of vehicles had rough idle issue due to carbon in the exhaust [cold short trips]. Worldwide made Gm vehicles I worked on, and ford like transit often had EGR valve issues. Lots of reasons given for this most of the time a blocking plate would solve the cold start, air flow and idle problem. American cars are often different tune. I worked on a holden that had been reprogramed under warranty to suit Darwin and required to be reprogramed for NSW when they moved back here.

Few different cases to get tuning ideas from.

1 Rodeo would come in with the air conditioning clutch not working. the egr valve was a step motor and if it out of calibration it will emissions limp home mode-without the warning light. it is a step motor you cant remove it without an ECU fix.

2 Brand new Hino O5 Truck over Christmas had a blocked EGR as it is uses to patch roads [very slowly]-the ECU warning flashes for 32 hours then derates the engine. The code is a canbus communication fault. Often owners have no idea this has occurred. until you drive up a hill.

3 Navara with DPF. The ecu has a routine of DPF burn as it drives along the ecu will derate if it obtains the wrong sencor imputs.

4 old engines sold in OZ, often the same engine from japan etc without the EGR. at cruise throttle the ECU/ Carby thinks the engine is under higher engine loads running lots of unburnt fuel. my charade required exhaust cleaning when E10 was used as cat would not fire up.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #26
thearrow

I am having a few problems now since the overhaul.....when it cold starts it runs rough as guts for a few minutes until it warms up a bit and it has stalled on me a few times at low revs.

My mechanic has checked everything but can't find the problem or at least it is nothing obvious. He is thinking maybe the plugs have fouled even though they are relatively new.

Me thinks a process of elimination may be called for.

Old 27-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #27
REDDYZ

Sounds more like sticky IMRC bypass valve. Get it cleaned and lubed before thinking of other expensive bits.

Old 31-01-2015, 12:52 PM   #28
thearrow

Have been doing a bit of research and it would appear that the likely candidate is a faulty ERG valve because the problem is occurring at low revs. The IMRC only operates in the higher rev range.

Maybe ! ! !

My mechanic is going to have another look at it next week.

Old 31-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #29
REDDYZ

Sorry if I didn't get it right, I was referring to Idle air bypass valve. The one that opens while idling with foot off accelerator And closes upon acceleration. It's an electronic solenoid valve that builds up carbon and gets sticky when cold.

Old 31-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #30
REDDYZ

This one...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11270389