Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 31-10-2016, 02:56 AM   #1
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Red face Washer Jets - performance issues

I've been having performance issues (lol now now settle down, washer jets) lately till it's to the point that I need to look at it. Bloody missus never told me anything but I noticed the rear wiper had been operated (dry mind you) and smeared the dust/dirt a full sweep frakin A luv, well done.

I originally thought the worse case scenario - tube come off a connector in the cabin area and as this isn't my first time playing around with the jets (plenty of times I've adjusted them) I finally had a use for my Toledo Washer Nozzle Tool.

The fronts were a little under performing and now I know why crud build up the worst being the passenger side. Now I don't have to aim high and let the force of the wind push it down to the right spot, there's that much pressure I can hit it where I want. Low flow rate saw the wind passing over the bonnet and jets push the fluid far to low, so now with full flow it's not affected.

The rear was completely blocked and that's where I thought it were emptying the fluid into the cabin and sparked off this whole job. Well now I know why others were saying you can't adjust them ha ah ha you can't fixed nozzle. Out with the trusty ole tool and a few sprays later its clear and putting out more fluid than I've seen since buying it.

Frustratingly it's a feathered spray pattern which hits far to high up on the rear glass and looks like a dribble. Makes me wonder if it be partly because of air flow and at speed would hamper it. Just glad it's all sorted with minimal effort and better than before.

I hate looking for a safety pin these days as they're spot on for size and getting rare as hens teeth in my household so the the purchasing of the tool was vindicated. ~$8

Last edited by cobrin; 31-10-2016 at 03:02 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Washer Jets - performance issues

When I had my MC's I changed the crappy washer jets to the "Fan Style" jets; Front heated Windscreen Washer Jets (Fan Style) – 1708797 (BM51-17666-BB)
Old 04-09-2021, 11:39 PM   #3
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

FF 5 years and the windscreen washers are weak and if left unused for any period of time nothing happens till pressure is up and only then they will still dribble. The pump sounds strong, and you can hear it load up as pressure must be building.

So I take off the front bottom lip cover on the passenger side to reveal the pump. I take the pump out of the reservoir bottle and clean water is draining. That's a good sign, I poke my finger inside and feel the rubber seal, there's almost no opening that I can feel (but water did empty from it) so I push my finger a little more into it and i can feel I've widened the hole/split. I hope this makes it easier on the pump to draw water, even with what little head pressure it may have.

I put the pump back into the reservoir and put 2L into it and test. Nope pump works as it did, it loads up a bit, but nothing is coming from the jets about 10 seconds have passed, and I get the typical dribble as before.Back to the diagnosis board.

Next in line is the non-return valve on the line to the windscreen washers, (wasn't one for the rear hose). This is accessible by taking the LH headlight out. On the Chassis arm you can see the two washer hoses and the mount, you can then see the non-return valve and the hose continues alongside the quarter panel and up to the bonnet.

I remove the hose from the mount and take off the hose on the bottom of the valve. You have some length to test out the line, so I blow into it hard (I've got about 15psi ability, so a tyre pressure gauge once said lol) and nope nothing is getting through. It must be blocked, so I remove the non-return valve and blow into the hose and water blows onto the windscreen easy as, verifying a clear hose all the way to the end.

I test the check-valve (shorter than typing NRV) and nothing is getting past in either direction. Yay, reckon I've found the problem, but still need to test it after replacing the check-valve. Some people have said replacing the check-valve didn't fix their problem and had to replace the pump in the end. So I'm not out of the woods yet.

To cut a long story short, I'm not happy with just a straight joiner and lose the check valve, rendering the action of the jets delayed till the line has filled. That's the extent of Supercheap Autos assistance. I thought about going to Bunnings and check out what they have to offer. As it is, I just happen to have Autobarn in the same location of Bunnings, so I'll go there first before walking across the car park.

I don't know what but my local Autobarn is always empty, and the workers are scratching for someone to darken the door, it's slightly uncomfortable, every time I've been there (this is the second time this year lol). Anyway I'm greeted by a young man and after the spiel I say windscreen washer non-return valve 5mm. To which an older guy behind the counter hears, and the younger guy walks up to him muttering the same thing, the older guy turns to some bits on the side of the racking and pulls off a packet and hands it to the young whipper-snapper.

I'm shocked they had one, one that fits 5mm hoses....pleasantries were said, and I'm off to the front counter. $5 and I'm out of there.

Quick fit, turn the key and test.......

Sprays so hard it turns to mist after hitting the windscreen, shoots out like your favourite Adult movie stars happy ending, pressure shoots like.....well you get my drift lol...

If you have weak jets look under the headlight first and change that nor-return valve, it's only $5 and is easier than the lower lip of the bumper.

Part:
Nice Products NRV513 (non-return valve)

I'll get pics in the morning...
3 users like this post:
Old 06-09-2021, 07:33 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

This user likes this post: