Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-09-2016, 11:54 AM   #1
Gazzzaa

Default MC Mondeo dual clutch automatic problems

It looks as if the Ford wet clutch transmission develops a similar problem to the dry clutch, sadly. My car is an October 2012 MC Mondeo Titanium, 2.0L turbo petrol with the dual clutch automatic. I bought it as a demo in July 2013, with 8000 km on the clock and it’s currently showing 67,000. About 6 weeks ago, driving home from work in peak hour, it developed a hesitance and jerkiness, eventually going into a sort of ‘limp home mode’ as I turned into my home street, only 300 metres from home.

Since then, it has surged when I have been slowing down and also developed a 1 to 2 second flat spot sometimes when accelerating. The dealer has diagnosed it as a faulty input shaft, which will necessitate the car being ‘taken away’ and the transmission being removed to rectify. I’m told that I will be without the car for a couple of weeks and that the cost will be $3000 to $5000. The advice from the service advisor is to trade it out, which sounds ominously like sage advice from someone who is experienced with these things.

I am really sad as a dedicated Ford fan to have to part with what has been the best car I have ever owned, apart from the transmission. From recent research on the net, the whole dual clutch automatic / mechatronics saga has been a disaster for Ford and VW, but one which neither manufacturer has taken full responsibility for.
Old 01-09-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: MC Mondeo dual clutch automatic problems

Sorry to hear m8, you might want to read another users (Mondaveo) experience on such an issue and how it turned out for him...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...64#post5684364
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2016, 05:10 PM   #3
Mondaveo

Hey Gazza,

Really sorry to hear that you are experiencing Powershift woes in your Mondeo. We are hearing of an increasing number of these in the forums, yours marks the fifth I've become aware of in 2016 (that number includes my own car). The lucky ones have been able to get theirs fixed under warranty (generally not Ford but a used car dealer's statutory warranty).

I'm not convinced it's the entirely same durability issue as the dry clutch; as far as I'm aware the occurrences in the 6DCT450 (wet clutch) have all been electronic in nature due to a faulty gearbox input shaft speed sensor (GISS). The 6DCT250 (dry clutch) probably experiences a similar electronic fault in some proportion, but it also has other points of failure including clutch plate contamination and overheating, which combine to the widely known higher rate of failure.

Of course there is the widely publicised class action lawsuit involving Focus, Fiesta and Ecosport owners but they aren't including Mondeo (yet).

I hope you aren't planning to pay that $3K-$5K repair charge. In my view it's not good enough for a vehicle properly maintained, just five years old and under 100,000 lifetime km to experience an expensive failure like this. A properly engineered drivetrain should last the life of the vehicle; a sensor is clearly not a wear-and-tear part but would have to have been defective from the day it left the factory. This falls foul of Australian Consumer Law (reasonable quality, durability and fitness for purpose) and qualifies as a 'major failure' since it affects your ability to drive the car safely.

I have written to Ford Australia outlining the above and exhorting them to fix my car for free, or at least make a generous contribution to my costs. Currently awaiting their response but I'm hopeful they'll be sympathetic. I'd recommend you at least try your luck doing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-09-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
Gazzzaa

Thanks Cobrin and Mondaveo. I'm trying to digest the information in the thread, but work keeps getting in the way!!!

I might grab a nice single malt and sit down for a nice quiet read when I get home later.

Not a bad idea to begin some correspondence with Ford as I still love the car and trading it in will throw a spanner in the works of my retirement plans in about 7 years time.
Old 22-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #5
Nolife
Starter Motor

Well, I think I have joined the club. Erratic gear changing, occasional neutral, jerky.........still running but for how long ???

2011 TD wagon, 90,000km. Bought used June 2016, you guessed it...issues started a couple of months after the three month statutory warranty ran out !!!!!!

Looks like an expensive start to 2017 !!!!

NoLife (Frank)

PS... Do those error codes come up on dash or do I need a reader of some sort to see if they have been happening ???
Nolife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you're going to get involved with it yourself you need a scanner that can access the Mondeo TCM.

'Forscan' for android and PC is brilliant.

You need an adapter:

https://australianrobotics.com.au/pr...ooth-scan-tool

or cheaper from Hong Kong?

Is the way to go in my opinion, good quality, auto power saving, accessible anywhere any time on the phone, and while driving.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2016, 12:32 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It would be interesting to know what percentage of MC Mondeos have had this problem. Maybe a poll?

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 24-12-2016, 11:22 PM   #8
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolife View Post
PS... Do those error codes come up on dash or do I need a reader of some sort to see if they have been happening ???
One helpful feature of the Mondeo is to either not log any fault code or clear them as soon as the car is switched off. Genius!!

I had ford fail to find any code a day after transmission fault/limp mode and was told the any code probably cleared after restarting car. The next week I had RACV man fail to read while still in limp mode, before I'd switched off engine.

So you can try a scanner but it may not show anything.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #9
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

you might (or at least) be able to get error codes from the speedo/gauge diagnostic test, one of those test actually gives DTC rolling codes if there are any logged.

Press and hold the right 'ok' button on the steering wheel whilst key on engine off.
Old 25-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
One helpful feature of the Mondeo is to either not log any fault code or clear them as soon as the car is switched off. Genius!!

I had ford fail to find any code a day after transmission fault/limp mode and was told the any code probably cleared after restarting car. The next week I had RACV man fail to read while still in limp mode, before I'd switched off engine.

So you can try a scanner but it may not show anything.
Yes, can't remember details but codes disappearing can be an issue.
Still worth it though.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post