Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
da20valve
Starter Motor

Default Ecoboost dumping/leaking petrol

Hi

I have a 2011 Mondeo EcoBoost and the other day I got petrol, the next day I was driving home and I noticed it said 111km to empty, then I noticed the gauge going down, it was dropping 1km every 2 seconds, when I got home about 7 km away it was at 40km till empty, I am wondering if its actually leaking or its a mis reading, I can smell petrol but I can see any leaking (had it running on the driveway for 5 minutes and nothing was coming out) the problem is I am scared to drive it (encase it catches fire)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Also what oil does it take, I cant seem to find what viscosity would be acceptable. ie 10-40 etc.

Thanks for taking the time.
da20valve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:14 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Ecoboost dumping/leaking petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by da20valve View Post
Hi

I have a 2011 Mondeo EcoBoost and the other day I got petrol
<snip>
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS Also what oil does it take, I cant seem to find what viscosity would be acceptable. ie 10-40 etc.

Thanks for taking the time.
open the fuel cover and look/smell for any fuel spilling signs.

get underneath the rear and with a torch smell/look for signs of leakage (tank/fuel lines ect..), wouldn't hurt to remove the rear seat or carpet in the boot to inspect the tank/pump area access cover. (where ever it is)

Lift the Bonnet and do the same. smells/visual along the fuel system and surrounding areas.

Last check is a simply one, because you've just filled up go to a servo and fill up again. If it takes bugger all fuel then there's a problem with what's being displayed obviously, if it takes near a full tank (or not what you'd expect after recently filling) then there is a problem perhaps internal use.

Could be as simple as a leak, or fuel pump float having a hole and not floating, worse still electrical issues. In any case do what you can and if no good seek a workshop if you can't do anything else. Just be careful/sensible with fuel vapors is all.

and Engine oil will be 5W30 but check your Owners Manual for specifics, there's also Nulon & Penrite to find the right oil product.

Last edited by cobrin; 01-08-2015 at 08:31 PM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post