Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 11-07-2015, 11:26 AM   #1
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Diesel mondeo towing capabilities

Hi guys I'm very keen on picking my missus up a 09/10 mondeo zetec diesel, just a quick question they rated at towing ,1600 kg I got a pop up camper that weights 1200 empty, would I be asking too much of the lil 2 litre to tow that? I have a car I can use but just curious as there is times my missus would be going away and setting up before me, plus if it will do it the fuel savings on a trip might make it worth while using? It's a pity there isn't many or any diesel wagons that arnt base model I want the zetec or if I find the right one a titanium but I think that's out of my price range,
Cheers Craig

EL XR8 daily

67 XR fairmont, the toy!!
provked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Binny

Default Re: Diesel mondeo towing capabilities

I think you will be surprised how well it does. If you are going to tow it a lot I would consider something more suitable but occasional use would be fine.

My Mondeo tows better than my AUIII Wagon did. It may be rated at a higher weight but even with a box trailer with 2 motorbikes the coon really struggled up hills and the brakes were *****. I wouldn't tow maximum rated weight with either though. SUVs are popular tow vehicles for a reason.

I occasionally tow our CUB camper with our MC Mondeo which is more like 600kg and it does it with such ease. Averaged 7L/100km on a 600km trip to Yamba and back and held 6th up all the hills without breaking a sweat.

I also towed an 8x5 cage trailer full of rubble and garbage to the tip thinking how easy it was doing it. The weighbridge showed a combined weight of 2650kg. It amazes me how such a little engine can move that much weight so well.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #3
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I got a 2010 territory, which obviously would be the primary tow car, I was just more curious than anything else, cheers for that bud

EL XR8 daily

Old 18-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
Deo

Don't dismiss the liftback without seeing it. It has almost as much usable luggage space as the wagon and is more common to find in the higher trim levels. I think the engine in the Titanium is higher output too? Or maybe that's going from MB to MC.

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
provked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been driving a petrol hatch as a company car, but time to move on, a wagon would be nice but as you say much more base models around, I've found a nice 2011 diesel zetec, with full service history, and 80k, kms gunna look into that one, being the update it has a bit more power,

EL XR8 daily