Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Oils keep changing

Time for an oil change again - doesn't seem like a year! I bought this:

This uses the latest Fuchs XTL technology, whatever that is. It meets ACEA C3 and also improves fuel economy.

Fuchs make a huge range of oils, including a specific oil for Ford diesels where M2C913-x is specified (Supersyn F Eco-DT). Interesting. It's probably what I should have bought for the Mondeo, but I'd rather have an oil that protects the engine better (ACEA C3) instead of a minor improvement in fuel economy.
Old 26-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Oils keep changing

their calculator suggests TITAN Supersyn F Eco-DT SAE 5W-30 and change at 20K kms. Which would be as far as I'd push it. I wonder how much that costs over Nulon's.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 11:29 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

20k is the service interval in the rest of the world. I did intend to get the Ford oil, but the parts guy said the Pro Flex can be used in almost any engine, hence the name, and is their latest technology. It meets SN, ACEA C3, Dexos 2, etc. Fuchs sell an ACEA C2/C3 XTL oil in Europe but it's not listed on the AU website.

Retail here (Auckland) is about the same as Nulon, but I can get Fuchs at trade.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

Last edited by NZ XR6; 26-09-2016 at 11:37 PM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2016, 06:27 PM   #4
bundybear75

https://www.nulon.com.au/products/Nu...gine_Oil#intro

Spotted this at Costco today. I have been using the Nulon 5W-30 full synthetic diesel oil in the yellow bottle for the last few services and have been happy with it. Downside is I've needed to get the 10L bottles ($120) to do the service.

These other ones are 6L bottles and were about $60. Seems an ideal size and about $2 per litre cheaper.

Anyone used this or have any opinions?
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Others here may be more familiar with the Nulon range, but you can't really go wrong using a C3 oil in the diesel Mondeo (as long as it's out of warranty).

Old 30-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

my last four Nulon 10L drums at supercheap have been:
$104
$98
$78-(I think there was club credit used on this and it was on a sale at the time)
$109

I had to stop as I've got enough.
Old 01-10-2016, 12:47 AM   #7
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
my last four Nulon 10L drums at supercheap have been:
$104
$98
$78-(I think there was club credit used on this and it was on a sale at the time)
$109

I had to stop as I've got enough.
I brought a couple of 10l drums a couple of weeks ago when they had a 25% off for club members sale plus I had a $50 voucher from fathers day. With what I've got left from the last 2 drums I brought I should have enough for the next 6 months or so.

I just like the sizing of these, 6l which should just leave enough for a top up mid service and also easier to pour from.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2016, 01:56 AM   #8
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish more oil was available in 6l containers. Even if 5l is enough for the oil change, it can leave nothing for top ups.

I haven't seen the green Nulon in NZ.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:46 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took me a couple of months before I changed the oil, but I'd only done about 10,000 km in the previous 12 months. I used the trick of letting the oil filter drain after partially unscrewing it, and not a single oil drop!

Fuchs make some fairly outrageous claims for this oil about improved fuel economy. Their XTL brochure states an improvement of 2.2% compared to some baseline 5W-30 fuel economy oil.

Well, to my surprise, I did see an improvement during a 150 km journey that I drive regularly. The MB usually does 5.8 - 6 l/100km travelling most of the way at 100 - 110 km/h in light traffic. But on the way there the average was 5.4, despite being stuck in very slow traffic on the motorway for about 20 minutes. I did travel slower than normal due to heavier than usual traffic, so thought that might be the reason for the lower figure.

Coming back, I used back roads for about half of the journey to avoid the Friday afternoon traffic. There was generally light traffic and I travelled at my usual speeds. The result was ... 5.5 l/100km.

I can't believe that's just down to the oil change. I have a long trip next week, but no baseline for this one.
Old 03-12-2016, 03:32 PM   #10
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

5.4L/100km is what I got back in Jan on a trip form Cairns to Airlie Beach. If I could resist overtaking everything in front of me I reckon I could have gotten slightly better. Sitting on 105kph. My folks in their MD ecoboost got 5.6L/100km. Temps were 39-41degC.

Serviced the engine before I left Nulon 5W30 euro. Folks said they could see with every overtake I made the puff of soot out the exhaust was less till it all was gone after the 5th vehicle.