Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
rovelord
Starter Motor

Default 2013 Diesel Mondeo DASH CAM INSTALL Aux Wiring Question

Hi I am trying to install a dash cam to my wife's 2013 Mondeo Diesel.
The problem I have is I want to permanently wire the power supply for the camera in so it will power up camera when she drives the car.
I need to find a find a power source that only comes on when the key is on.
So far everything seems to have permanent power supplied to it, ie cigarette lighter plug, power plug in centre console cubby box. The under dash fuse board ( under glove box ) have all constant power to all circuits.
Any suggestions on where to find an AUX power source?
rovelord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 12:09 AM   #2
Mondaveo

Default Re: 2013 Diesel Mondeo DASH CAM INSTALL Aux Wiring Question

In my Mondeo the cigarette lighter/12V socket etc seem to be on a timer just like the interior lights. They come on when a door is opened, and remain powered for a few minutes only when the engine isn't running. Are you sure yours isn't the same and it's just tricking you?

I have a dashcam plugged into the 12V socket and it works ok (albeit the camera might start and stop repeatedly when I'm loading for a trip away, opening and closing doors). The biggest issue (which may or may not be specific to my setup) is that the power cuts momentarily when the engine is started, and I invariably have to manually cycle the camera before I set off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Omega-T
Starter Motor

My Mondeo behaves similarly to Mondaveo's with the front 12V sockets. That's a Titanium and an LX, so yours would likely be similar. If you have a 12V device with an indicator light, try plugging it in, closing and locking the car and waiting a couple of minutes - you should be able to see it go off. I leave a Bluetooth adapter in mine for audio - it fires up when I unlock the car and remains on for a minute or two after I lock it.

However, I don't think all of the 12V sockets are like that. From memory, while the dashboard and centre console ports are timed, I believe the rear footwell and boot sockets are always on.
Omega-T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
The biggest issue (which may or may not be specific to my setup) is that the power cuts momentarily when the engine is started, and I invariably have to manually cycle the camera before I set off.
One feature I like about the StreetGuardian SG9665 is that you can delay startup and shutdown, I've set it to 30s to eliminate exactly that behaviour Mondaveo cause it is annoying as you know, funny enough, it's not a problem with my Mini0803 but I'd say the internal battery is why.

I do have to get started in a permanent fixture, having a cable blows.

Soon™
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
rovelord
Starter Motor

Thanks all that replied, Yes will have a look to see if the sockets are tricking me and are times. I know the radio stays on until I open the door then turns off. Not having a decent wiring diagram makes it difficult to I.D wires. I did think that the centre console cubby box power supply was a possibility and thought it was ignition dependant, but then I checked it again and it was live. So maybe it is on a delay.
I tried to access the wiring from the centre console but can't work oput how to unclip the panel.
rovelord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2016, 01:27 PM   #6
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A less elegant alternative might be a switched cigarette lighter plug wired to a line socket stowed in the ash tray space. That's what I'm thinking to do, as the gps lights up whenever the door is opened. Not a big deal maybe but might be if camping or car battery is low.

http://www.narva.com.au/products/bro...-plugs-sockets

A difference between getting the usb plug inserted the right way up after removing, having a plug dangling or throwing a switch.

Last edited by rondeo; 04-11-2016 at 01:35 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #7
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a Narva switched plug and a line socket from a local auto electrician: Narva 81010BL or 81012BL. I cut the cable down to a few inches and soldered the wires to the line socket. With the socket in the ashtray bay it works fine.

Would still be interesting to know about a suitable point in the car wiring, the electrician's comment was 'it's getting harder to find one'. I presume he meant on later model cars . . .
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 PM   #8
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovelord View Post
Thanks all that replied, Yes will have a look to see if the sockets are tricking me and are times. I know the radio stays on until I open the door then turns off. Not having a decent wiring diagram makes it difficult to I.D wires. I did think that the centre console cubby box power supply was a possibility and thought it was ignition dependant, but then I checked it again and it was live. So maybe it is on a delay.
I tried to access the wiring from the centre console but can't work oput how to unclip the panel.

I used a 12V supply from the outlet in the centre console to power my phone cradle mounted to the dash. It stays on for a few minutes after turning off the key, but the door must be closed. If you leave the door open the 12V supply stays on. I couldn't work out how to get the console apart so I took out the cup holders and reached under and unplugged the wires into the bottom of the socket to access them to join in the cradle supply.

Another possibility would be the 12V outlet supply tapped into at the fuse panel behind the glove box, then up the passenger trim into the headlining and across to the camera.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 07:30 PM   #9
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking at the cup holders I decided I didn't see how to get them out, so you're a step ahead there Bundybear.

Still, aren't you in the same boat as plugging into the aux socket? I guess it frees up a socket though. As for the Gem, the question is where exactly?
Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
Scoobth
Starter Motor

I have the mc Zetec TDCi and next to the mirror mount under the plastic shield is a power connector for use with an electric mirror. Im thinking of putting a usb 5v transformer connector in the plastic shield and connecting it to the spare loom. Makes for a short power run.

Ideally it would be great to find the opposite female plug for that connector for easy wiring.
Scoobth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobth View Post
I have the mc Zetec TDCi and next to the mirror mount under the plastic shield is a power connector for use with an electric mirror. Im thinking of putting a usb 5v transformer connector in the plastic shield and connecting it to the spare loom. Makes for a short power run.

Ideally it would be great to find the opposite female plug for that connector for easy wiring.
Try a wreckers for the female plug, or maybe even jaycar (take a pic of the plug)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2016, 11:58 PM   #12
sailaway

Quote:
Interesting to know. A picture would be appreciated.

Isn't it already hooked into power?

TIA
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 01:17 AM   #13
Mondaveo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Interesting to know. A picture would be appreciated.

Isn't it already hooked into power?
The Titanium has powered folding mirrors, does the Zetec have that also? The unused connector might be for the folding function if not.

I know my car has unused connectors all through the floor for the powered/heated/cooled/memory seats that were an option in other markets but absent in Aus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 10:27 AM   #14
Scoobth
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
The Titanium has powered folding mirrors, does the Zetec have that also? The unused connector might be for the folding function if not.
I am referring to the centre mirror. In the Zetec it is manual anti glare, where the Titanium has an electronic anti glare mirror. Having said that, Zetec also does not have folding mirrors on the side so there may well be spare connectors there as well.

I will grab a photo of the connector tonight.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:41 PM   #15
Scoobth
Starter Motor

Photos attached of MC 2013 TDCi Mondeo centre interior mirror and mounts.

You can see the cable going to the rain sensor, but there is a spare cable with a three female prong white male plug and wires coloured (Blue, Black/White, Brown)
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2016, 07:28 AM   #16
Scoobth
Starter Motor

So, from the above photos, does anyone have/know a wiring diagram? Anywhere to buy the other side of the connector?
Old 11-11-2016, 11:15 AM   #17
sailaway

Quote:
So, from the above photos, does anyone have/know a wiring diagram? Anywhere to buy the other side of the connector?
Are you getting power there?

Maybe try Jaycar for the connector.
https://www.jaycar.com.au/
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interior electrical equipment is controlled by the GEM, not by the ignition switch. All live wires in the cabin will either be permanently high, sometimes high or digitally modulated as with the LIN bus. Get a DVM and oscilloscope?

If you want 12v when ignition on only, my guess would be somewhere on the GEM, but don't know where, or maybe the supply to the rain sensor.

The Haynes manual lacks detail. Ford Etis in UK has it all. A proxy UK IP address and account with Ford Etis? Call yourself DASHCAM inc. maybe. I'm up for it but busy, anyone interested?

Anyway, will be very interesting to see if there's an answer here.

Last edited by rondeo; 11-11-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: addition