Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Chopped
as in chopped

Default 2018 SS (VXR) Commodore (slower than an Aurion...)

Ok, maybe not slower but what a backwards step. Just show the Commodore name some respect and kill it off. This new thing doesn't deserve the nameplate.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/568754/2...rending&slot=0

" Holden has officially revealed its replacement for the SS Commodore, the new 2018 Holden Commodore VXR, set to go on sale as part of Holden’s Insignia-based Commodore line-up.

Due for release in 2018, the Commodore VXR boasts a naturally aspirated 3.6-litre petrol V6 engine that produces 235kW of power and 381Nm of torque, mated to a nine-speed automatic transmission and all-wheel drive....

...Holden isn’t talking 0-100km/h times, but we’d expect this vehicle to sit within the 6-7 second territory, making it around a second slower than the current V8 powered SS Commodore.... "

Commodore going to be beat by a KIA
Old 20-07-2017, 06:50 PM   #2
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2018 SS (VXR) Commodore (slower than an Aurion...)

Ouch, although i'm sure there will be holden supporters who will talk it up
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

This is almost comical! Holden's flagship models go's from an engaging, V8 powered muscle car to a wheezy V6 hatch covered in plasti-chrome. Its laughable to think the general public, let alone car enthusiasts and Holden fans, should care about the new Commodore. Put it this way, how much attention does a new Passat, Superb, Optima, Sonata or any other mid-large sedan get upon release? Very little.

So Ford fans get a Mustang as a performance car flagship. Holden fans get this! Hahahahahahahahahahha....................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #4
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Who cares.

The Koreans will take over the space vacated by Commodore and Falcon
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 07:14 PM   #5
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
Who cares.

The Koreans will take over the space vacated by Commodore and Falcon
^^^ - This good-looking chap knows

Commondore will quietly disappear from GM price list a couple of years from launch and go the way of other Opel products.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

"the next-generation Commodore is expected to weigh around 300kg less than the rear-driven Commodore and the Twinster all-wheel drive system used in the Commodore VXR isn’t too dissimilar to the one used in the manic Ford Focus RS"

I'm open to this being one of the best Commodores ever. It's not all about big V8s and blistering 0-100 times... How fast does a street car need to be 0-100?
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

The Kia Stinger looks better and better by the day
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeadFoot81 View Post
"the next-generation Commodore is expected to weigh around 300kg less than the rear-driven Commodore and the Twinster all-wheel drive system used in the Commodore VXR isn’t too dissimilar to the one used in the manic Ford Focus RS"

I'm open to this being one of the best Commodores ever. It's not all about big V8s and blistering 0-100 times... How fast does a street car need to be 0-100?
There you go eh rest easy petrol heads nothing to worry about.
Old 20-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:

0-100 is largely ****, I'll give you that. But I think 80-120 is fairly important /drive outside the city. In that regard, this Commodore is going to struggle (compared to the outgoing model, that is). That said, the most popular cars sold are mostly death traps as far as overtaking goes, I don't think Joe public cares anymore.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #10
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

So about the power of an b series xr6t with a 9 speed auto and it'll be lighter. But 6/7 second 0-100....even after it's death the media still overate the ss.

Wish it came in a manual then I would be interested.
Old 20-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I'm interested... my VF Calais V was an excellent package, only sold it so I could get a Sprint.

I'll probably get one, it ticks most of my boxes.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #12
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just call it the sv6
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #13
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Holden should go old school attach some wires running into a black box that does nothing and call it a Brock special,be a waiting list a mile long...seriously.
Old 20-07-2017, 09:43 PM   #14
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ignore the badge, this is a good looking car and should go alright.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

doubt it. it's a sedan and nobody's buying sedans, unless its got a Camry badge.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
0-100 is largely ****, I'll give you that. But I think 80-120 is fairly important /drive outside the city. In that regard, this Commodore is going to struggle (compared to the outgoing model, that is). That said, the most popular cars sold are mostly death traps as far as overtaking goes, I don't think Joe public cares anymore.
Why would a V6 AWD capable of 0-100 in 6 ish seconds struggle when overtaking? Current (and past) Falcadores with slower times haven't had any issues?
Old 21-07-2017, 12:29 AM   #17
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
This is almost comical! Holden's flagship models go's from an engaging, V8 powered muscle car to a wheezy V6 hatch covered in plasti-chrome. Its laughable to think the general public, let alone car enthusiasts and Holden fans, should care about the new Commodore. Put it this way, how much attention does a new Passat, Superb, Optima, Sonata or any other mid-large sedan get upon release? Very little.

So Ford fans get a Mustang as a performance car flagship. Holden fans get this! Hahahahahahahahahahha....................

This looks ok.
And should certainly have better interior plastics and a 2 star safety rating like the Deathtrapang.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 02:25 AM   #18
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
So Ford fans get a Mustang as a performance car flagship. Holden fans get ...................
.......room for a family.

Holden have always said this car is not aimed at the performance market or SS owners.

Personally I think it doesn't look too bad but it'll be a hard to impossible sell.

I wouldn't buy one even if they fitted it with the twin turbo V6 engine the Cadillac can be optioned with as I'm tragically nothing but a V8 man.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 07:08 AM   #19
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a sad world that all these cars are coming out with no manual.. The Kia Stinger & this are automatically off the list because of no manual..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #20
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
This looks ok.
And should certainly have better interior plastics and a 2 star safety rating like the Deathtrapang.
im sure it will be superior in all ways than the legendary name thats been around since 1964 and made countless performance models

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #21
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Might see some future SS potential buyers turning to the 4 cylinder Ecoboost Mustang - (231kW) and more torque (433Nm).
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #22
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Why would a V6 AWD capable of 0-100 in 6 ish seconds struggle when overtaking? Current (and past) Falcadores with slower times haven't had any issues?
"Compared to the outgoing model, that is".

Buyers who are used to the overtaking performance of the current V8s are going to be very disappointed. I also don't consider the current V6 Commodores particularly good in overtaking performance (again all relative), they haul a reasonable amount of *** to 100 but really don't have the legs of an I6 Falcon above 100. Not sure how this new model will fare but again, clearly not many people care these days.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #23
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

Buyers who are used to the overtaking performance of the current V8s are going to be very disappointed. I also don't consider the current V6 Commodores particularly good in overtaking performance (again all relative), they haul a reasonable amount of *** to 100 but really don't have the legs of an I6 Falcon above 100. Not sure how this new model will fare but again, clearly not many people care these days.
Really? My Calais V went fine from 80 - 120 and the fuel economy killed any Falcon I've ever owned.
Old 21-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #24
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
doubt it. it's a sedan and nobody's buying sedans, unless its got a Camry badge.
Tissue box & bowling hat on rear parcel shelf. It will sell like donuts in a cop shop.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #25
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
Just call it the sv6
That's what I think. Why are they calling it an SS replacement? SS means it's a V8, there is no such thing as an SS 6. So at best it's an SV6 replacement.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 10:12 AM   #26
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was about 18 or 19, I was driving my dads HSV Grange and got beaten by a Magna 3.5 lol. We were conditioned to think Fords and GMs were so good! Haha.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #27
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
That's what I think. Why are they calling it an SS replacement? SS means it's a V8, there is no such thing as an SS 6. So at best it's an SV6 replacement.
Didnt a L67 version come out in VT SS guise? I think so, but i agree drop the SS nomenclature for something more appropriate.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2017, 10:27 AM   #28
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:

We'll have to wait for the reviews to roll in and see what the 80-120 etc times are...but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Adrenaline.
Old 21-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
Didnt a L67 version come out in VT SS guise? I think so, but i agree drop the SS nomenclature for something more appropriate.

cheers, Maka
Yes... You could also buy a VP SS 3.8 back in the day. Don't know how many they sold, probably none but no doubt they would have built a few.

Wonder how many people will badge it as an SS...
Old 21-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We'll have to wait for the reviews to roll in and see what the 80-120 etc times are...but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Adrenaline.
Its 300 kgs lighter (supposedly) and has an extra 25 kw plus AWD system over the current model.

It wont be no slouch at any speed.
2 users like this post: