Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2022, 01:27 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Car parks. Why so hard.

The photos in this thread remind me of this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodes View Post
Mate, one morning on my way to work down McIntyre turning into Main North, I've seen some douche tailgate aggressively, cut others off, etc. Then the next set of lights, I see this guy readjust his dash cam. Seemed to me he may have been trying to get shots to edit for Dashcams Australia.

Sorry for the Segway.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Half the DCOA monthly compilation clips the person submitting the clip could have avoided the issue if they just slowed down rather than tried to cut someone off, or sped up on pedestrians crossing the road

The April 'Special' one they released was the people with the cameras being knobs.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 03:50 PM   #32
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately owning and driving a car is seen as a RIGHT in this country, and one that most believe is conferred by default. The notion that you should know how to use it, and demonstrate some ability, is just completely foreign.

Growing up, my mother didn't drive. Pretty typical household, we had one car. Mum had a licence, she just didn't use it. In the 70's Dad bought her a car.
Mum went out and got lessons, so that she would be a capable driver. That was the attitude of her generation. She didn't just drive because she could.

Most today see "learning to drive" as an inconvenience to be immediately forgotten. They have no idea how a car works, nor even the most basic grasp of physics or spatial-awareness. Moreover they don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.
And, at the risk of being labelled misogynist, women in a particular age bracket are the worst. "Narcissism" doesn't begin to describe it. They live in their own little bubble, concerned with nothing but their "right" to do as they please.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 03:54 PM   #33
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Unfortunately owning and driving a car is seen as a RIGHT in this country, and one that most believe is conferred by default. The notion that you should know how to use it, and demonstrate some ability, is just completely foreign.

Growing up, my mother didn't drive. Pretty typical household, we had one car. Mum had a licence, she just didn't use it. In the 70's Dad bought her a car.
Mum went out and got lessons, so that she would be a capable driver. That was the attitude of her generation. She didn't just drive because she could.

Most today see "learning to drive" as an inconvenience to be immediately forgotten. They have no idea how a car works, nor even the most basic grasp of physics or spatial-awareness. Moreover they don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.
And, at the risk of being labelled misogynist, women in a particular age bracket are the worst. "Narcissism" doesn't begin to describe it. They live in their own little bubble, concerned with nothing but their "right" to do as they please.
Take it easy Grandpa, you'll have a heart attack if you keep this up

I'm pretty sure Australia's road toll in the 1970s was 1000+ with nowhere near the amount of people on our roads and people getting wasted and driving was a common occurrence.

I'm calling bull**** on decades ago attitudes being better towards behaviour on the roads. You just didn't have a 24/7 news cycle and social media keeping stuff in your face all the time.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 05:55 PM   #34
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
This couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s definitely not just women, it’s a significant amount of road users.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:53 PM   #35
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I don’t have a choice I’ll always park between 2 cars already parked. This way I’ve reduced the chance of a door knock by 50%.

If I have a choice I’ll find a spot close to a column, like at the far end of Penrith Station, which gives a bit more clearance on other side.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #36
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I had my brand new Mustang less than a week before some idiot at the supermarket dinged my left rear wheel arch. Was a case of parking carefully with no one around to being boxed in by a couple Karen's.

Luckily it was taken care of by my PDR guy, but was pretty deflating at the time.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:13 PM   #37
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
If I don’t have a choice I’ll always park between 2 cars already parked. This way I’ve reduced the chance of a door knock by 50%.
dunno how you figured that one out ..... as your presuming only one car will damage yours. i've had one behind run into me [thankfully slowly] & one beside me hit my mirror. thankfully i was long gone before the car on my drivers side came back . . . ..... parking between means either no one ding's you, both ding you or only one ding's you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534
If I have a choice I’ll find a spot close to a column, like at the far end of Penrith Station, which gives a bit more clearance on other side.
this i can understand.
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:24 PM   #38
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Who else photographs their car as they walk away from parking it, to capture adjacent vehicles?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2022, 08:25 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Who else photographs their car as they walk away from parking it, to capture adjacent vehicles?
My cars are all ****boxes, so its probably you guys taking photos of me parking next to you

I've never been concerned about if someone bashes their door into my cars, I come back once and part of the hatch on my Focus was dented in, I'd say someone with a tray had reversed into my car, no note of course, meh worse things will happen in my life.

Though even when it was new, It still didn't bother me, its inevitable and you won't keep it immaculate forever.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:34 PM   #40
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
One of my sister-in-laws explained that she always parks next to another car as she finds it to hard to see and park between the lines and its easier to align her car with another vehicle. Yes; I was aghast. Edit: and yes she tries to park next to the cars looking the best as she figures the are less likely to open their doors on her car.
I am not surprised at all.

Pre COVID, I was always the first one in at work, and I noticed how everyone would park sequentially in the next spots, in the same row, after I had parked. Maybe 1 in 6 cars would find parking in other rows

Now if I parked beside the door, I could understand people parking as close as possible, but I’m parking 4 rows back, as it’s the shadiest spot in the arvo. The other shady spots are the end of each row, so it’s not like everyone parking where I start, is seeking the shade.

Talking to a colleague one day (who parks in the same shady spot, but one or 2 rows over) he said he’d noticed the same thing - after he parked, the next 4 or 5 cars coming in would park sequentially in that row.

After a bit of head scratching, we came up with a plan for ****s & giggles. The next morning I parked crooked. Not like 5 degrees off straight. I was like diagonally opposite wheels almost on each line. I actually found it quite difficult to do it how I had pictured it in my mind, but after several corrections I got it right. Whaddaya know, the entire row followed the same angle I set!

The next day, my colleague deliberately parked about 3 feet too far forward. The whole row of cars that parked after him, also parked too far forward, with each car down the line a little less further forward than the next.

After that little “experiment” we both concluded that more than half the drivers on the road simply cannot park without lining themselves up with the car beside them.

The more I park far away from the doors, in and empty row, and come back to find a car parked right beside me, the more I’m convinced of this.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2022, 09:17 PM   #41
Moo Man

I hate when it's a relatively full carpark and the only spot available is between two badly parked cars (at odd angles or right up against the lines) and you park accordingly to allow adequate space for exit/entry for all drivers.

Come back 5 mins later and they've both p****d off and you're left looking like the numpty that can't park!
Old 10-04-2022, 10:46 PM   #42
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
dunno how you figured that one out ..... as your presuming only one car will damage yours. i've had one behind run into me [thankfully slowly] & one beside me hit my mirror. thankfully i was long gone before the car on my drivers side came back . . . ..... parking between means either no one ding's you, both ding you or only one ding's you.
I figured it this way - if I park first I can get a hit from either car. If they leave before me I can get a hit from either car. I’ve removed one of those as I park after they’ve both parked.

Getting hit from behind is not a risk as most car parks I use have those vehicle stops.

I usually take a photo if someone behind has parked the nose of their car over the line.

Cheers
Old 10-04-2022, 11:18 PM   #43
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Take it easy Grandpa, you'll have a heart attack if you keep this up

I'm pretty sure Australia's road toll in the 1970s was 1000+ with nowhere near the amount of people on our roads and people getting wasted and driving was a common occurrence.

I'm calling bull**** on decades ago attitudes being better towards behaviour on the roads. You just didn't have a 24/7 news cycle and social media keeping stuff in your face all the time.
Actually the Victorian road toll got up to 1034 in 1969,that was why there was a campaign to lower the toll.In 2021 the whole of Australia road toll was just under 1200
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 12:40 AM   #44
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always park away from others, I can’t say that I return to an empty car park with someone next to me very often though.

What annoys me is when someone parks in the end park next to a garden or some other non parking area, then they park well away from the end.
I will have my wheel as close to the garden or end line as often as possible.
I came back to my car at work recently, the person in the end park was parked close to the line near my car. There was a huge gap between their car and the end line which was nothing but free space.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 06:12 AM   #45
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:

And then it turns out they are totally drunk and pee all over you. Don't laugh it happened to me and the culprit was a colleague at the time at a work party. He was so drunk he thought it was funny and laughed. Although there were numerous profuse apologies the next day, I have never totally forgiven him. He was also lawyer so it didn't do that profession's reputation any good either.

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-04-2022 at 06:19 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 08:50 AM   #46
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At Bunnings on Saturday I was a couple unloading their trolley into the back of their car. the car was reversed in for starters and the Trolly was hard up against the Nissan patrol next to it..

I had parked well away from everyone , not at the back just an unobvious spot, had to walk a fair bit which I don't mind.
sure enough a car was parked right next to me on my return.

why? I think its the nice car theory.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 08:55 AM   #47
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS Vans are the worst to park next to the doors need to open wide and they have that pointy edge perfect fir denting cars.

For those that have owned a low 2 door car they will know you need a bit of space to open the Door, like a Mustang. the GT4 I used to own lucky had pillar less doors Ive needed to open the car and put the window down to gain access because people have parked so close.

a Prado etc is probably the easiest to get out of you don't need to open the door much and use the step.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #48
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Your picture equally applies to freecamping in Australia.

On the odd occasion when I find (forced to) myself at Bunnings, I take the truck and always park inside the trade areas.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 10:11 AM   #49
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Your picture equally applies to freecamping in Australia.

On the odd occasion when I find (forced to) myself at Bunnings, I take the truck and always park inside the trade areas.
At my Bunnings I park with the workers cars and never have issues, same for my local Mitre10.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 11:07 AM   #50
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This thread is just a wind-up, isn't it?
I me, even a self-absorbed, elitist tosser from Adelaide can't be serious with ****e like this.
By your own admission, you're the one that can't park properly. Then, the thesis that people use an existing car to line up their park is self-refuted by the fact that the next car manages (somehow....it is hard) to park correctly.
Next thing is you Adelaide people will want clean water flowing down the Murray ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 11:08 AM   #51
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Schweppes, where did I leave my flame suit?
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #52
Honest Gaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
A couple of the most common grievances of many people that are into cars, and some that aren't.
While I agree with your frustration on the first one (I do the same), I don't agree with your response. She parked legally and well within her lines...so not for you to question her choice (as a total stranger).

The second one is total disregard for what's right.
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 01:58 PM   #53
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Gaza View Post
While I agree with your frustration on the first one (I do the same), I don't agree with your response. She parked legally and well within her lines...so not for you to question her choice (as a total stranger).
To be fair, it was just a question. I wasn't rude with my tone or anything. I was just curious as to why people do it, and this opportunity presented where I could actually ask. I wasn't having a go at her or abusing her for parking there.
Old 11-04-2022, 02:21 PM   #54
.:4:.
Kicking back

Now my gripe is off the original topic, but still car park related. Disability permits.
So my ex mother in law, she is properly eligable for one. Mobility issues that arent due to morbid obesity or poor lifestyle choices. She chooses not to apply because she feels there are worse off people then herself. If she did have a permit, no issue there.
So, heres my gripe.
Both my mum and her boyfriend have disability tags. Mums is for my mid 90 year old grandparents, her boyfriends is for his wife who has been a vegatable (im not being rude) who hasnt left 24/7 care in years.
Mum and her boyfriend boast about how convenient disabled parking is. That really gets up my goat, as think of say a person who is independent but paralysed from the waist down so needs the wider parking space to facilitate sorting out their wheelchair situation, has to park in a normal spot, no one beside them. They come back to their car and there is a car close beside them.
Anyhow, my gripe is misuse of disabled parking permits.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 02:46 PM   #55
xb74_black

I bought a crappy old xf pano as a daily driver because i was tired of people opening doors into my classic cars.
xb74_black is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #56
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be fair, it was just a question. I wasn't rude with my tone or anything. I was just curious as to why people do it, and this opportunity presented where I could actually ask. I wasn't having a go at her or abusing her for parking there.
Well it baffles me too, worth a shot in the dark question no expectation.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 03:10 PM   #57
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb74_black View Post
I bought a crappy old xf pano as a daily driver because i was tired of people opening doors into my classic cars.
Most I looked at had the dents as standard equipment.
Next best thing is a truck with a maximum width tray, and yet doopeys still want to park next to you until they realise they can't exit their own door.

Old 11-04-2022, 03:41 PM   #58
Honest Gaza

Quote:
I would also like to get into the minds of others to see why they make these choices...but would find it difficult initiating the conversation like you did. Not saying you were rude, but raising the question with them probably took her by surprise.

I parked at the Airport a couple of weeks ago (in a vacant area), only to have someone park next to me. I saw how blissfully unaware they were of how close their door was to my car as they loaded their bags and stuff.
I politely, said "excuse me, would you mind being careful with the door on the car next to you". She looked at me like I had no right to even show concern....even clapped her hands at me as she drove away.
Honest Gaza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2022, 03:42 PM   #59
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Next best thing is a truck with a maximum width tray, and yet doopeys still want to park next to you until they realise they can't exit their own door.
Even Povo Ute, with an 1800 wide tray, does this well.

I prefer to reverse into parking spots, believing it’s safer both when entering and departing. (Ever noticed how the people who squash kids do it almost exclusively by reversing out at the commencement of an intended mission?) So the too-tight situation above is a fun and common occurrence in the car parks of Colesworths.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Even Povo Ute, with an 1800 wide tray, does this well.

I prefer to reverse into parking spots, believing it’s safer both when entering and departing. (Ever noticed how the people who squash kids do it almost exclusively by reversing out at the commencement of an intended mission?) So the too-tight situation above is a fun and common occurrence in the car parks of Colesworths.
2400mm's better. Yep always reverse in with the PV too. I like the NSW country towns where you reverse angle park as opposed to front in.