Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 19-01-2023, 12:59 PM   #1
AlanM

Default Premium Diesel.

Hi everyone, new to the forum, and fairly new to owning a Mondeo TDCI.

Just wondering if anyone has used premium diesel enough to notice any difference.

The price difference is usually not much, and sometimes, especially recently, my fuel price app is showing premium diesel a fair bit cheaper than regular diesel.
Of course when premium is cheaper or virtually the same it's a no-brainer, but is it worth paying extra for?

Thanks!
AlanM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2023, 04:41 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Premium Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
Hi everyone, new to the forum, and fairly new to owning a Mondeo TDCI.

Just wondering if anyone has used premium diesel enough to notice any difference.

The price difference is usually not much, and sometimes, especially recently, my fuel price app is showing premium diesel a fair bit cheaper than regular diesel.
Of course when premium is cheaper or virtually the same it's a no-brainer, but is it worth paying extra for?

Thanks!
Still trying to work out what Premium diesel is.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2023, 05:06 PM   #3
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Still trying to work out what Premium diesel is.
Yeah, I've read it has a higher cetane rating, which would produce more complete combustion so should be cleaner, possibly more power and/or economy, up to 5% better.

And I've also read it doesn't.

They claim it has additives to clean injectors etc, which it might do.

It generally seems to cost about 2c/litre more from stations that sell ordinary as well as premium, which is only about 1%, so if there's any benefit at all, it's probably worth it.

I haven't owned a diesel for about 25 years, so was wondering if anyone had found any benefit from using premium.
Old 19-01-2023, 05:35 PM   #4
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

I was doing 650+ a week, mostly highway driving, and didn’t notice any difference.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 05:44 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
Yeah, I've read it has a higher cetane rating, which would produce more complete combustion so should be cleaner, possibly more power and/or economy, up to 5% better.

And I've also read it doesn't.

They claim it has additives to clean injectors etc, which it might do.

It generally seems to cost about 2c/litre more from stations that sell ordinary as well as premium, which is only about 1%, so if there's any benefit at all, it's probably worth it.

I haven't owned a diesel for about 25 years, so was wondering if anyone had found any benefit from using premium.
I reckon its a scam for car drivers using diesel. Most servos selling it have the "Premium" diesel pumps taking up most of the court usually leaving 1 regular (usually Hi Flow) diesel pump in a less obvious spot to find. Can't not see it being cheaper though.

Old 19-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #6
AlanM

Quote:
I reckon its a scam for car drivers using diesel. Most servos selling it have the "Premium" diesel pumps taking up most of the court usually leaving 1 regular (usually Hi Flow) diesel pump in a less obvious spot to find. Can't not see it being cheaper though.
I've got the "Fuel map" app, and quite often the premium is cheaper at some service stations. Have to admit I haven't gone and checked though.
Old 19-01-2023, 05:55 PM   #7
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
I was doing 650+ a week, mostly highway driving, and didn’t notice any difference.
Thanks. I guess I was hoping there would be a little bit of a gain from it.
Old 19-01-2023, 05:59 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yeah Ampol is a killer for this, they have their premium diesel on all the normal pumps and then 'truck diesel' is 2c cheaper which is on the high flow ones cars can't use.

Its a good scam.

Though my TDCI Focus certainly prefers Ampol diesel compared to Shell, maybe just something with my particular car but I get better fuel economy from the diesel from Ampol compared to BP or Shell.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #9
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Yeah Ampol is a killer for this, they have their premium diesel on all the normal pumps and then 'truck diesel' is 2c cheaper which is on the high flow ones cars can't use.

Its a good scam.

Though my TDCI Focus certainly prefers Ampol diesel compared to Shell, maybe just something with my particular car but I get better fuel economy from the diesel from Ampol compared to BP or Shell.
Funny, after 6 or 7 years of 250km a day commute, I found that Caltex (now Ampol) diesel gave the worst economy. BP Ultimate gives best but not convient for me to purchase. Mostly I've used Mobil and Shell and get much of a muchness. The "premium" Mobil fuel has an additive that reduces foaming, so you actually get more in the tank when you fill so it seems like you go further. The other diesels dont quite fill completely due to foaming so less range.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 07:33 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The difference I have noticed is the above-mentioned reduced foaming during the fill, along with a slight reduction in soot deposits on the tailpipe.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2023, 09:24 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

I use bp ultimate unless not available and the only reason I do is for the supposed additives that make it 'cleaner', so to speak.

Common rail diesels are very expensive when things go wrong, and some of this is caused by excessive carbon build up etc. I'm prepared to pay that bit extra for the sake of a cleaner fuel.

As far as economy goes, I don't notice any difference between other brands or non premium on the few times I have to buy it.

I don't think it's a scam, but I'm not a conspiracy theorist either...
Old 20-01-2023, 11:46 AM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

For 2c a litre if it even offers the slightest little advantage somewhere you may as well get it. Would be good if they actually advertised what the benefits are though.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2023, 03:49 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I use bp ultimate unless not available and the only reason I do is for the supposed additives that make it 'cleaner', so to speak.

Common rail diesels are very expensive when things go wrong, and some of this is caused by excessive carbon build up etc. I'm prepared to pay that bit extra for the sake of a cleaner fuel.

As far as economy goes, I don't notice any difference between other brands or non premium on the few times I have to buy it.

So you bought into marketing right.

Old 20-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
So you bought into marketing right.
It's about $30/yr extra for me. Is it better for the engine?? I'm prepared to pay the small cost.
Old 20-01-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Totally agree Rob... i only ever run BP Ultimate thru mine.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2023, 09:22 PM   #16
thebigd

I drive a company vehicle, and have had a Caltex, and more recently Ampol fuel card for over 25 years. I've driven a million kilometers in this time, and never had an issue with their Petrol / LPG / Diesel fuels.
Since moving to the Diesel MD Mondeo, I've maintained 5.6 L/100 overall, with country trips under 5.
I would add that my wife's car requires premium petrol and drinks BP Ultimate 98 exclusively.
IMO... Ampol and BP are the big two, and the rest follow.
I have purchased both a Honda vehicle and motorbike in the last ten years, and both dealers recommended not use another main stream brand of fuel. Strange that, but have taken their advice.
I believe servicing and buying fuel from a dealer that keeps their tanks clean is an integral part of getting the most out of your fuel investment.
Old 25-01-2023, 02:34 AM   #17
Papug

You can find good answer to this question in the link below.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...sel-fuel-87126

Highlight the link and go to the article.
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2023, 02:36 AM   #18
Papug

[QUOTE=Papug;6779024]You can find good answer to this question in the link below.
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-adv...sel-fuel-87126
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2023, 04:40 AM   #19
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Carguide article is correct, you're just paying for an additive.

Since they shut down our only oil refinery in NZ, all of the diesel sold here is imported. Most of it still comes through the existing distribution system, except for the Gull branded fuel which is supplied by Ampol.

The MB runs noticeably better on Gull - quieter and smoother, probably because it is higher cetane. It's good that Gull is usually the cheapest!

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Last edited by NZ XR6; 01-02-2023 at 04:55 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2023, 08:15 PM   #20
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
It's good that Gull is usually the cheapest!

May I ask what you are paying per litre over there ?
Old 02-02-2023, 06:57 AM   #21
AlanM

Quote:
The Carguide article is correct, you're just paying for an additive.

Yes, that does seem to be the case. But using a fuel price app you can generally find "premium" diesel for the same price or a cent or two more than standard diesel, so it's a pretty cheap way to buy the additives.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:53 AM   #22
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
May I ask what you are paying per litre over there ?
It varies, my last fill was $2.06. But we pay road user charges on top of that which is $50 per 1,000 km. At 6 l/100 km, that makes it $2.86.

Old 05-02-2023, 01:15 PM   #23
bundybear75

Quote:
It varies, my last fill was $2.06. But we pay road user charges on top of that which is $50 per 1,000 km. At 6 l/100 km, that makes it $2.86.

Ouch... I do over 50,000km per year in my diesel pug. Sounds like the road user tax would kill me ......

I paid 2.079 this morning for BP diesel in Goulburn NSW. 50 litres at an average of 5.43 litres / 100km
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2023, 02:02 PM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post
Ouch... I do over 50,000km per year in my diesel pug. Sounds like the road user tax would kill me ......

I paid 2.079 this morning for BP diesel in Goulburn NSW. 50 litres at an average of 5.43 litres / 100km
We pay much more than you do for fuel, partly because of various taxes and levies, but also because a monopoly supplies fuel in NZ. The one exception is Gull, which has their own terminal and distribution network.

Road user charges make no sense for cars, as they penalise more fuel efficient vehicles.

Old 05-02-2023, 03:18 PM   #25
AlanM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundybear75 View Post

It's $1.839 at Mobil Singleton. Premium too.
Filled up a few days back, next fill will probably be Gympie in Qld, where it's $1.89.

I'm really appreciating having an easy 1100 -1200km range. Our last car could only manage about 450. Had less space and (a lot) less performance too. '06 Lancer. On a trip you were pretty much always thinking about the next fuel stop. Probably a bit like driving an EV....
2 users like this post: