Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
mr_h._simpson

Default New Engine into pre-'74 car and ADRs

Hello,

Looking at buying a '62 Cortina with a mid 80's Toyota twin cam engine in it and have a concern about lack of anti-pollution gear on the engine. I live in NSW.

Car has engineers papers for engine and gearbox.

I have looked at the RTA website for clarification. It just says with a car made after '74 that is getting a more modern engine the engine needs to comply with the later ADR. It does not mention if the car is pre-'74.

So, I rang two RTA approved engineers and got two different answers. First one said engine needs to have its ADR stuff. Second one said engine doesn't need to ADR stuff as is pre-'74. I explained in both cases the car is a '62 model.

Can anyone give me a definite answer or somewhere I can look to get one?

Also, if it does need to have ADR stuff is it hard to fit something on that will keep the rego people happy?

Thanks for any info.
Andrew

mr_h._simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

Being pre 74 it does not have to comply - the engineer who told you it did needs to go back to school. It will pass in NSW without any problem whatsoever. The RTA have already given you the definitive answer - they are the authority so why are you even asking keyboard warriors for an opinion?
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #3
mr_h._simpson

Thx for the advice.

I thought I would give the forum a try as the RTA website didn't specifically say what the rules are for a pre '74. It didn't say anything!

Then the differing RTA engineers answers worried me.

So thought others on the forum might have done a similar thing in NSW and could give advice.

Thanks again.

Anyone done a newer engine into a pre '74 car in NSW and had any trouble dropping the antipollution gear?
Old 24-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #4
MAV50L
Banned

Doesnt matter of the age of the car the Emission gear has to match either the age of the car or the age of the motor , which ever is NEWER.
Been there and done this before with engineering cars.
If the car is currently engineered and registered as it is , dont worry about it. Just dont let it run out of rego and have to be blue slipped.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
fmc351
let it burn

What T3 said.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Being pre 74 it does not have to comply - the engineer who told you it did needs to go back to school. It will pass in NSW without any problem whatsoever.
Only if that engine was an option on the original car.
I know with Qld Transport, it goes on the year model of the engine, an idea from NSW RTA...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Just keep the EPA gear on motor to atleast it's registered..
It won't hurt to have some EPA on it anyway...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
mr_h._simpson

Thx ebxr8240 but car has had it removed so I can't just leave it on.

It also has QLD rego at the mo so will need blueslipping for NSW rego.

The different replies on the forum reflect the different replies from the RTA approved engineers(!). Makes it hard to know what the ruling is.
Old 25-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it has been fully engineered in QLD then the motor should have all pollution gear fitted (well maybe fitted when approved)
My understanding is along mav50l s lines
Pollution gear must be fitted to whichever is the newer
Older engine in newer car,then the older engine must comply with emmision regs to the newer car
Newer engine in older car engine must comply to the engine emmission regs from the engines date of manufacture
Hence why alot of 4x4s running older style V8s run LPG
But the big killer in this country is,
Just because it has been approved in one state doesnt mean it will be approved in another
Jump on the dept of transport/main roads website in your state
Find out who are approving these conversion
Most desk jockies at main roads ect wouldnt have a clue
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_h._simpson
The different replies on the forum reflect the different replies from the RTA approved engineers(!). Makes it hard to know what the ruling is.
You get that on a forum. Try asking which is the better colour white or black ...

RTA approved engineers however should know what they are doing. But like in any industry there are drongos who have NFI and just take the easy way out by saying "no". They leave it up to you to do all the investigating and reading for them.

Once again I say - the information the RTA themselves have given you is correct. If the car is pre 74 there is no issues with emission controls regardless of the age/era of the engine you fit.
Old 25-10-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

T3,
Not sure for which state laws your mentioning
But along the rules your stating
I can go put a new injected V8 into say an XR or XT Falcon and have now issues regarding emmission laws ?????
So new V8 running no cats ect,oh boy thatll work
Old 25-10-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
T3man
Banned

He was enquiring about NSW - my reply was therefore about NSW.

However, I did err.

The date of 1974 from the thread title misled me and I incorrectly assumed the OP to have checked the date correctly - in fact the critical date is 1972.

Last edited by T3man; 25-10-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 25-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
T3,
I can go put a new injected V8 into say an XR or XT Falcon and have now issues regarding emmission laws ?????
So new V8 running no cats ect,oh boy thatll work
Why wouldn't it work? What makes you think just because it is a new injected V8 engine it needs cats to work?
Old 25-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #14
mr_h._simpson

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies and sorry about the error on the date (72 v 74) T3man, my mistake.

I rang the place that issues the blue slips in town to see what their stance is as I figured they are the guys that will look at it.

They said 'as the car is pre-antipollution laws it does not need to have any antipollution gear, irrespective of the year of the engine'.

As there seems to be some confusion out there might be worth checking with whoever will issue the blue slip before starting a project/buying an interstate pre '72 car that has a newer engine.

Thanks again.
Old 25-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #15
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its great your on a winner

T3 man,
I think the main issues of confusion is the various laws in the various states
Old 25-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #16
T3man
Banned

You're right there! So much for Australian Design Rules and Australian Road Rules. There are still way too many anomolies in the system. Some just cause inconvenience and confusion. Some of them are downright dangerous like the different U-turn rules.

Anyhow, good the outcome was a favourable one this time.
Old 25-10-2010, 07:56 PM   #17
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

How would this apply in Vic? say, if we wanted to put in an XE crossflow in my sisters XY. Would we need the carbon cannister etc..?

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #18
T3man
Banned

As far as I am aware you can do that but you need to check with VicRoads.
Old 25-10-2010, 11:37 PM   #19
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Some time back we fitted an EB motor in TE Cortina.. We had to fit all the gear that came with EB engine including canister and cat.. Oh and at the time unleaded restrictor on fuel filler ...
I would get anything in writing and go back to the same inspector as they have different interpretation ..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 26-10-2010, 02:43 AM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Some time back we fitted an EB motor in TE Cortina.. We had to fit all the gear that came with EB engine including canister and cat.. Oh and at the time unleaded restrictor on fuel filler ...
I would get anything in writing and go back to the same inspector as they have different interpretation ..
TE Cortina was built after 1972.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

SORRY TC XLE 1972 model...In any case the engines pollution gear had to stay...
Daily driver GTE FG..
Old 26-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #22
T3man
Banned

Yes, that is correct ... because it was not pre-72 therefore the emission controls of the later of the two (car/engine) had to be retained. If it had been a 1971 Cortina you would have had to do nothing. Except of course the Engineer's report to verify the noise level compliance and mechanical integrity of the transplant.
Old 26-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3man
Yes, that is correct ... because it was not pre-72 therefore the emission controls of the later of the two (car/engine) had to be retained. If it had been a 1971 Cortina you would have had to do nothing. Except of course the Engineer's report to verify the noise level compliance and mechanical integrity of the transplant.
What happened in 1972? I thought polution laws came in january 1974. Thats why the 1973 rpo83 XAGT's had factory holley carbs.
Old 26-10-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very interesting topic
I know there are different rulings in each state
But anyone wanna put an injected 8 in a say XP and see what hapens
I very much doubt that dropping an injected 8 into an XP would not result in some emmision issues
What about the new V8 into say a customline or mainline ???
Old 26-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #25
T3man
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
What happened in 1972? I thought polution laws came in january 1974. Thats why the 1973 rpo83 XAGT's had factory holley carbs.
Because something happened in 1974 ... can not be the reason for something else to happen that preceeded it in time.

They had factory Holley carbs (jetted pretty lean) but they also had the very first primitive emission controls like PCV valve and intake air pre-heat. I think it was ADR27 that came into force Jan 1972. And ADR 27A (which was the big one) which came in a couple of years later. This included carbon canisters, fuel tank sealed systems, EGR, and idle down control and vacuum retard etc on some models.

Last edited by T3man; 26-10-2010 at 08:41 PM.