Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
warren77

Default My XR5 Bluefin Experience

Will update this thread with a bit more details once I do the flash.

However, wanted to share the "pre-purchase" experience.

I spent a few weeks researching several purchase options, having been convinced that Bluefin was a good choice for me (thanks to several members).
These included looking at local and overseas suppliers.

Several local suppliers never responded to my emails (including one located only 8km from my home).

I was then recommended to visit www.gccorp.com.au. They had the bluefin on sale for $800 (down from $999). That was about $150 more than over seas but with local warranty and support.
However, their shopping cart had an SSL error.
I emailed them.
To my surprise, I had a response within 6 hours saying the error would be fixed.
It was.
I purchased the unit on Tuesday through their web interface.
Last night, I received an email from Gerard, who informed me, that the unit had undergone a price reduction and would be refunding the difference to my credit card.
I was totally shocked and pleased with this level of customer service!

So if anyone is looking at a locally sourced bluefin, then I highly recommend gccorp.

Further update once I get the unit (which should be today!).

warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #2
JC807
sucksqueezebangblow

are these things similar to the flash tuners people are using on the xr6 turbos? do they come with a generic tune AND the ability for custom tuning?
Old 29-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
warren77

Update 1: The Install!
Package arrived whilst eating lunch - finished lunch very quickly.
Hardest part was finding the diagnostic port - was hidden!
Had to download the latest software to work with Vista (http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/s/software). Recommend anyone does that.
Then it took about 20 minutes to back up.
Does flash "Engine Malfunction" at you but thanks to LRSedan I was warned about.

Didn't have time to take it for much of a drive. Seems more drivable with lower down torque. Will have to take it for a longer drive to see what happens.
Old 29-04-2010, 09:52 PM   #4
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC807
are these things similar to the flash tuners people are using on the xr6 turbos? do they come with a generic tune AND the ability for custom tuning?
Yes its a flash tuner.

I comes with one tune designed for your car. But unfortunately doesnt cater for custom tuning.

No custom tuning is availble for the Mondeo XR5 as yet, focus XR5 yes.
Herrods are apparently working to get the mondeo custom tuning off the ground.

Warren, good to hear your experience was pleasant. Can't wait to hear what you think once you get to give her a tickle.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
warren77

Initial Drive - haven't been on the right roads to give it a chance to stretch legs
Can't feel a lot of difference in 1st gear
2nd and 3rd definitely pull harder
Feels like the turbo cuts in a bit sooner - less lag
Much better throttle response
4th, 5th and 6th are also easier to drive in. Much more responsive.

So far, in just normal driving, it make the car more drivable. The power comes in a bit earlier and means you get better use of the lower revs.
I also found I could drive in 6th at about 65 comfortably - yes it had some acceleration but not huge amount.

Can't wait to see how it goes with a bit of boot behind it.
So far, very impressed and happy.
I have heard it said it should've been like this out of the factory. I now agree.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Update 1: The Install!
Package arrived whilst eating lunch - finished lunch very quickly.
Hardest part was finding the diagnostic port - was hidden!
Had to download the latest software to work with Vista (http://www.mybluefin.co.uk/s/software). Recommend anyone does that.
Then it took about 20 minutes to back up.
Does flash "Engine Malfunction" at you but thanks to LRSedan I was warned about.

Didn't have time to take it for much of a drive. Seems more drivable with lower down torque. Will have to take it for a longer drive to see what happens.
Where was the diagnostic port hidden?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Where was the diagnostic port hidden?
By the driver's knee, is the little compartment.
If you then look in void (into the dash), near the top of it, is the port. But it has a little cover on it.

Took me ages to find it - but Google saved the day.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

I had Bluefin installed on my Mondeo XR5 this week. Peter from Superchips UK was over here so he did it for me as I'm not that technologically minded. Once I saw how easy it was I felt like a fool. Took about 20 minutes all up and cost $675. Peter didn't charge me for the install. Just paid for the Bluefin. He stayed for a wine and a chat. Good bloke. He's over here every month or so and seems happy to do the whole Bluefin thing free of charge. It's even better to drive the car now. Fuel economy is suffering though purely because I'm enjoying revving out further in 2nd and 3rd.
DAGGLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 PM   #9
warren77

Daggles - lot of fun isn't it!

I have had mine in over a month now.
The car just drives so much smoother.
Fuel economy has returned to near normal levels.
It does seem to be thirsty when cold but could also be just the time of year.

Highly recommend this to all XR5 drivers.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

Peter was saying that it takes about 700k's of driving before the ECU gets used to your driving style. Was this the case with you Warren? He says it gets better and better over the first few hundred k's or so. It's such a relatively cheap upgrade. Peter says it's even better with the diesels. He positively starts salivating at the prospecting of "Bluefining" diesels.
Old 05-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
warren77

Havent done 700km yet! I don't do a huge amount of kms.
Plus I do mostly stop start city driving. So might take a bit of time.

By the sounds of it, if the ECU is learning your driving style, every time you flash back to boring (aka factory) tune, then it has to relearn your style.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:09 PM   #12
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

Yeah. That's what Peter said. He said that whenever anyone loads the bluefin they should try and avoid stop start driving. I said that I drive to the city and back every day in peak hour. He suggested that wasn't the optimum for the ECU to learn my real driving style so told me to take it for a longer run on a freeway and other roads where there is less stop start, (which in my case is down the peninsula), during the first 700k's.

I did ask him whether I should flash back to factory tune when I get my 30,000K service and he said not to bother because they (Ford) wouldn't know. I'm not sure about that but he did seem very convincing that there was no need to. It is very easy to do and it's just as easy to reload the bluefin afterwards. I'm only 2,000k's off getting the 30K service so I will let you know what I do and how I go.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #13
warren77

I will be flashing mine back to boring tune prior to my 24 month service.
For the 10 minutes it takes, it is a piece of mind.

Plus, if you drive a stock, and then a chipped one, it is pretty obvious that there is a difference! So they will know.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
MOND30
If You Seek AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGGLES
Peter was saying that it takes about 700k's of driving before the ECU gets used to your driving style. Was this the case with you Warren? He says it gets better and better over the first few hundred k's or so. It's such a relatively cheap upgrade. Peter says it's even better with the diesels. He positively starts salivating at the prospecting of "Bluefining" diesels.
Did he happen to mention if it would be available in Oz for the diesels any time soon? I can only find the XR5 one on the GC website.

Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5x..._OYiDekVUlmEhg
MOND30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #15
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

When Peter was at my house installing the bluefin he was looking at my neighbours Hyundai i35 Diesel (I think that is what they are). He said that he could tune them. He then went on to say that he could tune pretty much any euro car (including diesels). I assume he means Mondeo Diesels too. You could ask him. I think he even tuned the Winnebago he had hired for this trip he just made (He drove from Bris to Melb tuning cars). He specifically said that Japanese cars are different and due to my lack of knowledge around this sort of stuff he lost me as to the why's and wherefore's.

I also just confirmed with him this morning that I should re-set the ECU back to factory tune before getting it serviced jic they start asking questions and wanting to void warranty items down the track.

He is back over here next month.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Just go onto www.mybluefin.co.uk and follow the drop down boxes.

All tuning software is shown there, so if you find it, it exists.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #17
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think i will be getting bluefin. spoke to the handbrake about it today and she gave it the green light!!

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #18
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAGGLES
I had Bluefin installed on my Mondeo XR5 this week. Peter from Superchips UK was over here so he did it for me as I'm not that technologically minded. Once I saw how easy it was I felt like a fool. Took about 20 minutes all up and cost $675. Peter didn't charge me for the install. Just paid for the Bluefin. He stayed for a wine and a chat. Good bloke. He's over here every month or so and seems happy to do the whole Bluefin thing free of charge. It's even better to drive the car now. Fuel economy is suffering though purely because I'm enjoying revving out further in 2nd and 3rd.
please excuse the double post. did you order via the net and how did you get peter to come and install it??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
Old 07-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #19
warren77

You wont regret the bluefin.
I installed mine myself, using the instruction manual and a word of caution for LR Sedan (to not panic when you see the ECU Failure message - it is normal).
You don't need any mechanical knowledge to do it.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #20
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

Warren is correct. It is very, very easy to do yourself. I think there are quite a few step by step instructions listed amongst this forum however the book that comes with your bluefin is idiot proof and I even can attest to that. To your question though, on another forum I saw that someone had listed Peter from Superchips email address. I simply emailed him and asked whether he would be over is Aus any time soon. As it turns out he is here every month so I only had to wait a couple of weeks. He arranged for the bluefin to arrive at my address and all I had to do was confirm when it arrived. Two days later he was on my door step at 7.30pm installing it. It took maximum 25 minutes and that was even with a public holiday in Britain. The bluefin, once plugged into your cars ECU, reads your settings. You go inside load the CD that comes with the Bluefin, connect the Bluefin to your PC via the leads that come with it. Send off your cars data to the UK via the web. You get an instant email confirming they have received it. Open up a bottle of wine, chat to Peter about anything and everything. 10 minutes later you update the Bluefin with your new settings. Unplug from the PC. Take it out to your car. Plug it into your ECU, follow the instructions that come up on the Bluefin screen, which literally are pressing the "y" or 'n" buttons. As Warren suggests you get a warning message and all your warning lights come on. Your heart skips a beat and you ignore them. The Bluefin uploads all the new data. 5 minutes later it's done. You can drive it immediately and feel the difference. Go back inside, have another wine. Chat to Peter for a while about anything and everything. He goes back to his accommodation. He doesn't charge you anything other than the cost of the Bluefin which is $675. Another word of warning though. Peter was telling me yesterday that he tried an install the night following mine on exactly the same car and it failed resulting in the car not being driveable for maybe 24 hours. The guys battery was nearly flat and it caused problems so make sure your battery is okay. Peter hung around and then returned the next day and fixed everything for him. All free of charge....well I think the guy gave him a couple of bottles of wine. Having seen how easy it is first hand I would have no hesitation in suggesting you can do it yourself. However, for peace of mind, get on to Peter at peter@superchips.co.nz and ask him if he will install yours. Great bloke who has a million stories. Given the AUD is suffering of late I'd get onto it sooner rather than later. Oh yeah, you get a warranty too.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM   #21
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Just install it yourself, you don't need to wait for this guy.

Its no harder than inserting a USB device into a computer...

Broady, wait for HERROD's. Custom tune might not be too far away. It will be far superior to the bluefin as well...

Either that or I'll sell you my bluefin once custom comes available, lol
Old 08-06-2010, 06:17 PM   #22
warren77

The custom tune will work better for modified cars right?
Cars which have had the CAI, IC and zhorst done?

Bluefin would probably be "better" (loose word) on a stock car right?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #23
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine is stock although i have a simota CAI waiting to go on. i am not looking to turn it into a race car, so that is why the bluefin stage 1 appeals to me. three ppl have told me it is a tune the car should come with in the first place...

Old 08-06-2010, 06:33 PM   #24
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Custom tune will be superior for every car, no matter what.

Custom tune will be able to cater perfectly for your car no matter stock or highly modified. Usually custom tune you'll get 2 or 3 different tunes for different power output and fuel economy, and they can do you a "valet tune" as well that will limit revs etc.

Of course custom tune is a fair bit more expensive, but IMO worth it compared to bluefin for what you get.

Having said that, bluefin is great. On the dyno my bluefin tune performed flawlessly and had a really smooth torque curve. Boost was 13psi. I highly recommend the bluefin, but if the budget allows, custom tune is where your money is best spent.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:34 PM   #25
warren77

I think that from a bang for buck point of view, the bluefin is a good option.
Hence my "better" word.

I also have a CAI to go in, and then going to stop there in terms of performance mods.
Old 18-06-2010, 01:12 AM   #26
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

emailed peter tonight. i get where you are coming from re: custom tune greg, but my missus will eventually be driving the car more often than me once she gets back to work, so i want it to be sedate enough for her to drive...

Old 06-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #27
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, so i am ordering this week. just a quick question for the guys who have this, i had an email last week where peter confirmed a price of $675 but then when i said i was ordering, he quoted me $779 delivered?? so sounds like he's charging me $104 for delivery, is this right??

Old 06-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #28
DAGGLES
Starter Motor

I was charged $30 taking total spend to $705. Maybe it has something to do with the exchange rate.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #29
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes he made a mistake. $30 freight plus $675. ordered tonight. i got the last one. he now has to order more from europe...

Old 16-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #30
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bluefin fitted, Grin semi-permanent!!