Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 16-08-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
HSE2

Default MB Mondeo first drive- Car advice

http://www.caradvice.com.au/38229/fo...o-first-steer/

BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Dusty1
Giddy up!

"The real answer will come early next year when Ms Donovan will have the 2.0-litre TDCi diesel engine in the wagon range, providing 320Nm of smooth torque and 103Kw of power, coupled to a six-speed automatic transmission."

Looks like the diesel wagon will be here in 2010. Excellent. Hopefully it's going to be offered in a decent spec level.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
Looks like the diesel wagon will be here in 2010. Excellent. Hopefully it's going to be offered in a decent spec level.
I'd say it would be a Zetec Diesel Wagon, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

If that's the case RicOz, Ford truly have rocks in their heads and are not listening to customers views. Pity that.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
RicOz

I agree but the fact is that Mondeo is still to be a $$ success in Australia. So no point selling more variations of a model that doesn't sell well.

It will be interesting to see how they market the wagon. The Territory is Fords "family" car, so I can only see the Mondeo wagon being sold as a rep car. I am yet to see an ad on TV but it can't be too far away now.
Old 18-08-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be the 2.2 diesel
Old 20-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Zippy7

The piccy shows the new XR5 gets alloy pedals and an alloy footrest?
Thats just annoying, not that I look down there that often!
Just a shame it would cost me so much to upgrade to get the latest goodies.
Old 20-08-2009, 06:33 PM   #8
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7
The piccy shows the new XR5 gets alloy pedals and an alloy footrest?
Thats just annoying, not that I look down there that often!
Just a shame it would cost me so much to upgrade to get the latest goodies.
Yep - I want those as well. I believe a few people (LR Sedan?) have imported them in from the UK. Me, I am just lazy!
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #9
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren77
Yep - I want those as well. I believe a few people (LR Sedan?) have imported them in from the UK. Me, I am just lazy!
I imported them as well, the insurance on the postage was the killer.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2009, 07:17 AM   #10
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should be able to get them now I guess from spares. I like the look. Might make an enquiry. I had them on my Focus XR5.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2009, 07:25 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I'll add the review to this thread.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/42341/fo...iew-road-test/

Quote:
Ford Mondeo Review & Road Test

September 28, 2009 by Matt Brogan

Model Tested:

* 2009 Ford MB Mondeo LX; 2.3-litre, four-cylinder, petrol; six-speed automatic, wagon – $32,990*

Options:

* Metallic Paint $400 (Not Fitted – Frozen White)

plus - Smooth & well balanced drive; generous cargo area; spacious & comfortable cabin
minus - Manual rear windows; no panel light dimmer or rear ventilation outlets

CarAdvice Rating: 4/5

Blurring the lines between a bottom-end fleet special and bargain family transport is usually an exercise in futility.

Not anymore.

Ford’s Mondeo LX is one wagon that proves how entering the lower-end of the market no longer means having to compromise on a car bereft of finesse or features.

Sitting beneath the upper-spec Zetec, Mondeo LX wagon comprises sleek but subtle flowing lines that are drawn from an amiable ‘kinetic’ front fascia, a design cue now shared across the Ford range, through a crisp profile accented by a clean, high shoulder line finishing at Mondeo’s large, clearly defined horizontally orientated tail lamps.

At the back a uniformly moulded appearance sees the top-hinged tail gate incorporate the rear bumper’s shape for a cleaner look that also contributes functionally to the cargo area’s low flat floor.

The result is a body that’s modern and stylish without being ostentatious, a theme testament to Mondeo’s German heritage and one that follows suit in the wagon’s simple yet elegant cabin.

In here the contrasting silver-on-black tones of the dashboard and centre console are met hospitably by chaste grey and black cloth upholstery to lift the ambiance and interest of the interior to a status more often associated with mid- or even upper-spec models.

This level of esteem is complimented hand in glove by the LX’s generous array of quality fittings and intuitive features.

Standard equipment includes voice recognition, cruise control, single CD tuner with steering wheel mounted controls, full function trip computer, front power windows, power mirrors, air conditioning, remote central locking and height adjustable headlamps.

Sadly rear power windows, rear ventilation outlets and an instrument panel dimmer don’t make the cut.

Accommodation is very comfortable in four of the five positions, the rear centre seat being a little firm and narrow. Otherwise the well formed seats exceed the dimensional expectations of Mondeo’s ‘mid-size’ moniker with rear leg room very nearly representative of that found in the large-car category.

Mondeo wagon boasts 950mm of rear leg room which is only 30mm and 51mm fewer than Holden’s Commodore Sportwagon and Mondeo’s big brother, the Ford Falcon XT wagon respectively.

It’s a similar story when it comes to cargo capacity with Mondeo wagon’s low, flat floor offering 1005 litres with seats up, to window height. By comparison Commodore Sportwagon offers 895 litres and Falcon XT considerably more at 1260 litres.

The cargo area comes standard with a retractable cover for security, four chrome plated ‘D’ shaped tie down points, and 60:40 split fold rear seats to expand the area to a cavernous 2163 litres. A space saver spare wheel is housed beneath the floor.

Powering the Mondeo LX is a 2.3-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine developing 118kW of power and 208Nm. These figures, although hardly world-beating, manage to deliver acceptable performance both around town and on the open road thanks primarily to an intelligent six-speed automatic transmission.

Delivering linear acceleration with DSG-like response times this well calibrated transmission makes Mondeo’s drive smooth and precise while also managing to return fuel consumption figures consistently below 10L/100km.

A balanced chassis enhanced by similarly well tuned MacPherson strut (front) / multi-link (rear) suspension see Mondeo handle every aspect of urban and highway driving competently, even, at times, impressively, well beyond what you’d expect of its bargain-basement price tag.

In sharp corners the Mondeo feels precise, with barely a hint of body roll. In fast, flowing sweepers the wagon feels settled and calm, offering a level of grip that feels both planted and confident, even over mid-corner lumps. In fact you’ve really got to throw Mondeo around a lot to trigger the ESC, such is its near-perfect poise.

Despite the enjoyable handling, Mondeo has lost none of its polished ride. The car handles coarse country roads and speed hump riddled suburban streets with a resolute pliancy usually associated with high-end, long-wheelbase offerings.

Steering is accurate and well weighted while remaining light enough at car park speeds to keep things easy. Visbility is excellent, even to the rear, to boost that feeling of confidence when maneuvering in tight parking spaces.

First rate safety includes standard equipment of discs brakes with ABS, EBA and EBD; ESC with Traction Control; plus dual front, side, curtain and driver’s knee airbags.

All seating positions feature three-point inertia reel seatbelts whilst ISOFIX child seat anchor points are fitted in all three rear seat locations. These efforts see Mondeo score a deserved five-star ANCAP safety rating.

Ford Mondeo LX wagon is priced from $32,990* excluding dealer delivery and on-road costs.

Ratings:

CarAdvice Overall Rating: 4/5
How does it Drive: 4.5/5
How does it Look: 4/5
How does it Go: 3.5/5

Road Test the Rivals:

* Mazda 6 (from $36,7440*)
* Skoda Octavia (from $28,990*)

*Pricing is a guide as recommended to us by the manufacturer.

Specifications:

* Engine: 2261cc DOHC four-cylinder (16 valve)
* Power: 118kW @ 6500rpm
* Torque: 208Nm @ 4200rpm
* Induction: Multi-point
* Transmission: Six-speed automatic
* Driven Wheels: Front
* Brakes: Discs with ABS, EBA & EBD
* Top Speed: 180km/h (Claimed)
* 0-100km/h: 11.1 seconds (As Tested)
* CO2 Emissions: 227g/km
* Fuel Consumption: 9.5L/100km (ADR)
* Fuel Consumption: 9.8L/100km (As Tested)
* Fuel Tank Capacity: 70L
* Fuel Type: 91RON Unleaded
* ANCAP Rating: Five-star
* Airbags: Front, Side, Curtain & Driver’s Knee
* Safety: ESC with Traction Control
* Spare Wheel: Space Saver
* Suspension: Strut (F) / Multi-link (R)
* Cargo Capacity: 1005L / 2163L
* Tow Capacity: 1200kg (Braked)
* Turning Circle: 11.5m
* Warranty: Three Year / 100,000km
* Weight: 1545kg (Tare)
* Wheels: Steel 16 x 6.5-inch
Old 28-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

White is not a colour that makes the most of the Mondeo's styling, especially on the base model. And surely Ford could find better looking wheel trims at Supercheap!
Old 29-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #13
RicOz

I've seen 3 reviews for the wagon so far, and all were the base model LX. Maybe they are waiting for the diesel release next year before they ramp up the advertising for the wagon.
Old 29-09-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the reason Ford gave for not having the diesel is crap!!! what Ford thinks people can't Google to get info on the net thinking they are going out to buy now and sell next year when the diesel arrives :togo:

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was recently in Perth for 4 days, and did not see a single Mondeo in that time, whereas they're becoming a common sight in NZ. The motoring press has generally been very positive about the Mondeo, so one would have to ask why they're not selling in Oz?

Decisions like not importing the wagon at first, and then not importing the diesel seem to indicate that, for whatever reason, Ford just are not serious about selling the Mondeo in Australia. They must have known about the Commodore Sportwagon well before it went on the market, and in the Mondeo wagon, had a great product to sell against it. And what engine and trim choices do you have? And what are they giving the press to test - the 2.3l base model in white!
Old 30-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #16
RicOz

@NZ XR6: Although you and I both have Mondeo wagons and like them, I heard that wagons only make up about 10% of sales of model types compaired to the hatch or sedan variations. So I dont think it would have improved Mondeo sales much if they brought the wagon out earlier.

The press has been good to Mondeo in Oz and its also won top awards too. So the blaim I see comes down to bad advertising from the start, availability and also the Mondeo being a bit too close to the Falcon. Remember that the Mondeo is Europes big family car, where as in Oz its classified a medium. I think Mondeo has suffered in finding a market.
Old 30-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #17
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
@NZ XR6: Although you and I both have Mondeo wagons and like them, I heard that wagons only make up about 10% of sales of model types compaired to the hatch or sedan variations. So I dont think it would have improved Mondeo sales much if they brought the wagon out earlier.

The press has been good to Mondeo in Oz and its also won top awards too. So the blaim I see comes down to bad advertising from the start, availability and also the Mondeo being a bit too close to the Falcon. Remember that the Mondeo is Europes big family car, where as in Oz its classified a medium. I think Mondeo has suffered in finding a market.
The wagon has been sold for nearly 2 years in NZ, and based on what I see out there, the ratio between the liftback and the wagon would be about 2:1. There are very few 4 doors here.

As an aside, Ford do not discount the Mondeo here - maybe for large fleets, but I certainly couldn't get anything off the new price. There are none in the car rental fleets, and the only used ones I've seen so far have been ex-dealer vehicles. Despite this, they are selling well - no. 3 in the sales charts in August and well ahead of the Falcon. (Commodore and Corolla were 1 and 2).

As I've said in another post, maybe Ford really don't want the Mondeo to sell well in Oz?