Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Mondeo Wagon. Nice !!!

I saw a Mondeo Wagon at Denmacs this arvo. Very Impressed !!(but not enough to trade in the Ghia) There is no leather option as in the MA. Leather is only available in the Titanium (none in stock) Titanium quoted $46990 drive away. Ballpark G6E pricing. Wagon is $41990 drive away or $43990 in diesel.
If FORD cann't sell these by the boatload, then aussie car buyers are really really stupid. Competition? Mazda 6 wagon. Ford promote the hell out of the wagon !!!

Old 24-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
If FORD cann't sell these by the boatload, then aussie car buyers are really really stupid. Competition? Mazda 6 wagon. Ford promote the hell out of the wagon !!!
No its Ford who are stupid!! one thing saying how much we "Care About You" before a sale is done then when you have a problem after purchase TOTAL SILENCE :rolleyes:

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have never had any problems with either Denmac or Metro;s. Had a steering wheel problem, fixed next day. Cann't get better sevice than that. But I do know other dealers leave a lot to be desired, from posts here.
Old 24-07-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Wagon is $41990 drive away or $43990 in diesel.
Are you talking about a diesel wagon?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats what the sales guy said. I didn't question it. Lost interest when leather isn't available in the wagon.. It has been said in the FF no diesel wagon.so not sure what the sales guy was refering too but there is a $2k difference in pricing.
Old 25-07-2009, 01:59 AM   #6
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Was that Denmac Darra or Indooroopilly csv8? Might pop up to check it out if Indro has one....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Wagon only comes in:
LX Petrol
Zetec Petrol

That's 100000% correct. It's LX or Zetec spec only. Trust me the salesman was wrong.

Hatch comes in:

LX Petrol
Zetec Petrol
Zetec TDCi
Titanium Petrol
Titanium TDCi
XR5 Turbo
Old 25-07-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Was that Denmac Darra or Indooroopilly csv8? Might pop up to check it out if Indro has one....
Denmac Darra and its in a shade of silver, yesterday it was out front ,on the left as you drive in.
Old 26-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

What a shame Ford Aus don't have the stones to offer this in Aus. Instead we get a watered down Diesel 2.0 instead of the 2.2 and a mid spec petrol. Holden have the sports wagon market to themselves.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are we looking at a 2.5 turbo wagon? Where???
Old 27-07-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

UK Specs The Ford Mondeo features Ford’s full kinetic Design expressions and innovative technologies. The Titanium X Sport series, available in 5 door and Estate derivatives with a 2.0 140PS TDCi 6 speed (manual and automatic), 2.2 175PS TDCi or 2.5 220PS engine.

Mondeo Titanium X Sport features additional to Mondeo Titanium X:

* Exhaust - twin straight pipes (2.2 TDCi + 2.5)
* Alcantara Leather with red stitching
* Sport suspension
* Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS
* Body colour side skirts and rear spoiler (not 5 door automatic)
* Alloy pedals
* Leather steering wheel and gear shift with red stitching
* ‘Piano Black’ finish interior trim details
* Body styling kit

I think price is stopping it coming here, but if its in NZ, why not here also ???
Old 27-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Yes, we need a luxo wagon - 2.5T +6spd for me (or better the Volvo 3.0T big brother). I still think the 2.3 will be struggling with a load in (esp.) such a H_U_G_E wagon. Would give the Commodore a run for its money. Not every Ford lover (in need of wagon) wants to climb >up< into their car (read Territory). My father has a Territory (for ground clearance), but I don't wan't it.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 04:47 AM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
UK Specs The Ford Mondeo features Ford’s full kinetic Design expressions and innovative technologies. The Titanium X Sport series, available in 5 door and Estate derivatives with a 2.0 140PS TDCi 6 speed (manual and automatic), 2.2 175PS TDCi or 2.5 220PS engine.

Mondeo Titanium X Sport features additional to Mondeo Titanium X:

* Exhaust - twin straight pipes (2.2 TDCi + 2.5)
* Alcantara Leather with red stitching
* Sport suspension
* Bi-Xenon headlights with AFS
* Body colour side skirts and rear spoiler (not 5 door automatic)
* Alloy pedals
* Leather steering wheel and gear shift with red stitching
* ‘Piano Black’ finish interior trim details
* Body styling kit

I think price is stopping it coming here, but if its in NZ, why not here also ???
We don't get this in NZ - the wagon is only available in base spec, with the choice of two petrol engines (2.0 manual and 2.3 auto) or a 2.0 diesel auto. So we get more engine choices than you, but only one trim level.
Old 28-07-2009, 08:23 AM   #14
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
Are we looking at a 2.5 turbo wagon? Where???
Yeah, I'm not actually sure where that shot was taken but a mate sent it to me and from what I can gather it’s an XR5 spec wagon. Looks very good and would clearly add some interest to the brand. I'll give Ford Aus the benefit of the doubt though; it may just be that they can't get them.
Old 28-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
RicOz

Why don't we all just stop winging and give thanks that now have a Mondeo wagon on our shores.

If people start buying, then we will see Ford introducing more versions.

I picked my Zetec wagon up on Friday and so far loving it. I'd take the extra toys, Euro styling and the fact that I'm driving a pretty rare car anyday over the extra gas guzzing grunt of a bogan Holden Sportswagon.
RicOz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 10:37 AM   #16
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicOz
Why don't we all just stop winging and give thanks that now have a Mondeo wagon on our shores.

I picked my Zetec wagon up on Friday and so far loving it. I'd take the extra toys, Euro styling and the fact that I'm driving a pretty rare car anyday over the extra gas guzzing grunt of a bogan Holden Sportswagon.

It would be great if you could post some pics, the wagon is my favourite of the Mondeo range. What kind of fuel economy are you getting?
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #17
Dusty1
Giddy up!

The Mondeo wagon gives an alternative to the Commodore, Falcon wagon and Territory.

I've heard that the Commodore wagon is a bit 'light on' for space anyway. I have one child, and when we go away it's a pram, bag for all of us (sometimes two), a port-a-cot, feeding bag and other stuff too. I'm not real keen on using the back seat for storage, unless I can get it behind the seats. I'd be doubtful if the Commodore wagon could fit all that without going above the seats, the hatch does, but a wagon would be handier.

There's not much option for me, except to go for a Territory, and they are a bit pricey and like the current Mondeo wagon, no diesel. It's coming in the Territory, but won't be cheap, and I like a bit of comfort. I don't really want a 4X4, or other soft roader. My sister in law has recently purchased a CX9, and while it's nice, it's also big, petrol and expensive - three things I don't want.

Ford will have to bring out a diesel wagon in a high spec and should also look at an XR5 wagon too. They used to do a XR6 wagon, and I think it sold well, and probably also had decent re-sale values as well.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 11:25 AM   #18
Crazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1
The Mondeo wagon gives an alternative to the Commodore, Falcon wagon and Territory.

I've heard that the Commodore wagon is a bit 'light on' for space anyway. I have one child, and when we go away it's a pram, bag for all of us (sometimes two), a port-a-cot, feeding bag and other stuff too. I'm not real keen on using the back seat for storage, unless I can get it behind the seats. I'd be doubtful if the Commodore wagon could fit all that without going above the seats, the hatch does, but a wagon would be handier.

There's not much option for me, except to go for a Territory, and they are a bit pricey and like the current Mondeo wagon, no diesel. It's coming in the Territory, but won't be cheap, and I like a bit of comfort. I don't really want a 4X4, or other soft roader. My sister in law has recently purchased a CX9, and while it's nice, it's also big, petrol and expensive - three things I don't want.

Ford will have to bring out a diesel wagon in a high spec and should also look at an XR5 wagon too. They used to do a XR6 wagon, and I think it sold well, and probably also had decent re-sale values as well.

I think its a shame that Ford didnt bring the diesel yet, but its only a matter of time, the petrol Mondeo is still a good alternative. I think all the wagons you mentioned are very good (I have been extremely happy with my Territory). With the space issue of the Holden, its worth remembering that the Commodore is a very big car (very wide and very long), so the cargo area whilst it looks small from the outside, is still pretty roomy - although the Mondeo I think is rated for more luggage space. I love the idea of a XR6 wagon, I think it would be great, but its unlikely for a while if at all.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #19
RicOz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
It would be great if you could post some pics, the wagon is my favourite of the Mondeo range. What kind of fuel economy are you getting?
I'll try get some pics soon, however I got a bit of dirty on it for the first time from the rain in Sydney on Sunday! :(

I haven't driven too long but on my short journey to work with a bit of stop starting, I am around 12.0 fuel economy. The website says urban is approx 14.

I love the shape of the Mondeo wagon. Especially the boot. The rear bumper area seems to be better finished off than the hatch (in my opinion). The whole car is very roomy too, no problem if you have young kids. The only issue maybe lack of storage compartments.
RicOz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #20
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
I recently ran 3 tanks of petrol in mine without resetting the trip computer and averaged 9.2 l/100km. This was probably about 25% city, 25% motorway and 50% open road, and definitely not economy driving. I'm pretty happy with this, especially considering the size and weight of the car.

The best I've managed is 8.4l/100km cruising at about 100 km/hr and being careful with the throttle. This equates to a range of about 850 km!
Old 31-07-2009, 11:21 PM   #21
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Rang 2 Ford local dealers this afternoon to get a feel for pricing of XR5 Mondeo and XR6T Manual Falcon given the new pricing laws and lack of any prices on Ford web site. Simple question really......not so simple answer.

Availability seems to be an issue.
Falcon...easy, lets see how many on the 'puter. 6-8 wks if needed to be built from scratch.
Mondeo...could be months, hard to get, I wouldn't wait that long for a car, Australia is a small market, Belgium is a long way away.,etc etc. Limited model range but still difficult to supply.
Without reasonable delivery times and range of *currently available* vehicles, the lifespan of this model will be short (deja vu?). Limited sales constrained by supply problems cannot make this exercise cost effective.

<Snip the rant section about first dealers' antics> . Don't go there.
This is a cut-throat industry. Directness is goodness. Sales = Survival.

If people are able to buy what they want when they want it then.........
sales happen.
-OR-
How about we lobby Ford for a batch of 100 current XR5-spec manual wagons so they can test the sales response ? It's not as if Ford UK don't make them at all !!!
I have my credit card ready for a deposit.
Old 31-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
SteveH
Starter Motor

[QUOTE=allanv6gt][I]
Availability seems to be an issue.
Falcon...easy, lets see how many on the 'puter. 6-8 wks if needed to be built from scratch.
Mondeo...could be months, hard to get, I wouldn't wait that long for a car, Australia is a small market, Belgium is a long way away.,etc etc. Limited model range but still difficult to supply.
Without reasonable delivery times and range of *currently available* vehicles, the lifespan of this model will be short (deja vu?). Limited sales constrained by supply problems cannot make this exercise cost effective.

Allan, I got pretty much the same response when I was looking at an XR5. All the dealers seemed to want to push me towards a Falcon. I know I am happy to wait for the exact car that I want, so the waiting list was never an issue.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 04:33 PM   #23
Dusty1
Giddy up!

They are hopeless.

Those of us who got in early had the same issue! I signed my agreement in early November, and didn't see the car until early January. I would have thought they would have sorted their supply issues out now. Pity my October 07 build was actually delivered in January 2008. They gave me a discount and threw some stuff in, but I was, and still am, shirty that it took that long to come to me. Luckily my missus had a company car during that time.

I was happy to wait, but probably wouldn't now, I'd be looking at the Volkswagen, Skoda, Mazda and a Falcon G6 if it was now. Hopeless.

Has anyone seen the new hatch models in showrooms? Only talk on here has been about the wagon. Are there any around?
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:54 PM   #24
RicOz

Quote:
They are hopeless.

Those of us who got in early had the same issue! I signed my agreement in early November, and didn't see the car until early January. I would have thought they would have sorted their supply issues out now. Pity my October 07 build was actually delivered in January 2008. They gave me a discount and threw some stuff in, but I was, and still am, shirty that it took that long to come to me. Luckily my missus had a company car during that time.

I was happy to wait, but probably wouldn't now, I'd be looking at the Volkswagen, Skoda, Mazda and a Falcon G6 if it was now. Hopeless.

Has anyone seen the new hatch models in showrooms? Only talk on here has been about the wagon. Are there any around?
First supply is starting to come in. I got in early and bought my wagon from the dealer that arrived mid July. From my calling around beforehand most dealers in Sydney are getting around 4 or 5 new Mondeos in from the first shipment (1 or 2 wagons, a titanium, and an LX, etc). I have seen the Titanium X Hatch, looked very nice.

If you want to buy, do what I did and get in now while they have the first stock. After that, who knows when the next boatload will arrive.
Old 03-08-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
scribbly

Quote:
They are hopeless.

Yeah, what he said..... Come on Dusty, I know you're happy with the car! Look at your signature. I waited 4 months to get my diesel and it was well worth the wait. This latest batch with the adaptive cruise, etc. sounds like the 'bees knees'.
I'm currently doing a support stint in the USA and some of the vehicle technology here is just loverly. This reverse camera stuff where the system puts lines against where you're backing to puts our tech stuff to shame. If you're buying as a 'new buyer' then you must weigh out the cost of diesel vs petrol. If you're buying on a lease option (like me) then technology comes into the decision process. I really like what the Mondeo has to offer and dearly hope that when the renewal process is up again that the Territory diesel option has all Mondeo tech stuff (& more) going for it. Diesel is better than all the rest when you're doing high km's. Currently I fill up about once a week. With petrol/gas it's once every 3-4 days. I ask you, who wants to stand at the pump this frequently???
The wagon sounds great but you know what... the Terri sounds like a better option. Especially if they give it all the go goodies the Mondeo currently enjoys.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT

Last edited by scribbly; 03-08-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: message editing for clarity
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #26
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Chiming in again.....
The second more helpful dealer said he had just received a wagon on the showroom floor (like, 30 mins ago). He sounded genuinely positive and rapt in what he could see.
But then we got onto XR5 discussions, and lack of 2.5 in the wagon (boo hoo..)

Like any battle, if your supply chain is l-o-n-g and s--l--o--w, it's hard work to win the war.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:05 AM   #27
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not even sure that it's a battle that Ford want to win anyway. I'd bet they make far more money selling a Falcon, so the Mondeo is probably being sold to see how well it's received by the buying public and to provide an option for Ford customers who want a modern, fuel efficient and technically advanced large car...
Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 AM   #28
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I'm not even sure that it's a battle that Ford want to win anyway. I'd bet they make far more money selling a Falcon, so the Mondeo is probably being sold to see how well it's received by the buying public and to provide an option for Ford customers who want a modern, fuel efficient and technically advanced large car...
I'm not sure if i'm reading this right (correct me if i'm not) but are you saying a falcon isn't a 'modern, fuel efficient and technically advanced large car'???

While mondeo may have some more tech features alot of this stuff is, with respect, fluff. I don't want my comments to be taken as any sort of insult to mondeo owners or the car. I love it, i think its one of, if not the best medium car on sale in this country. And is a certain replacement for falcon given its size if you don't want the engine power of the larger powerplants in the Falcon. But to say the falcon has some sort of problem in this area is a bit rich. Real world fuel economy of a 4.0 I6 falcon isn't that much worse than a 2.3 mondeo, depending on where you drive it. Around town sure mondeo will burn less, out on the open road...diddly in it. Technically advanced...well in terms of technology in suspension, NVH, drivetrain etc. falcon is quite competitive with mondeo. Having radar cruise cotrol and front parking sensors is great (i wish falcon had it) but hardly a deal breaker.

Put simply, i don't like the 'undercurrent of derision' i see from some mondeo (and other small ford) owners about Falcon. It does no good to have this sort of thing going on from fellow Ford owners particularly after last weeks events RE motorsports etc. We need to realise that Ford offers a range of cars for different tastes/needs. By the same token i realise dealers often encourage a rivalry between one and the other...purely because they might make more money off one car over the other....or because they have some misguided view of what is 'good for Ford' etc.

Different strokes for different folkes as they say. With Ford putting an ecoboost 4 in falcon i reckon its mondeo that will have to prove itself going forward. I hope it carries on.....with diesel 4 and 1.6 ecoboost perhaps.

Sorry to go off topic just thought i'd make the point. We all need to work together guys...let the past stay there. Its a long time since that first lot of mondeos came out here to butt heads with the falcon.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #29
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What people think, is what they think, doesn't make it so, its just what they think!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #30
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Paulie0735 has it right.

I'd like a high spec wagon, but don't want to move away from the brand. I must be a sucker to have brand loyalty I know. The Falcon wagon is pretty low spec, and I'd like a good spec wagon without paying the world for it. The only Falcon I'd be interested in is the G6E either turbo or not. I need a few creature comforts. When was the last time Ford had a high spec Falcon wagon, just before the AU came out? It would be a while back.

The new(ish) Falcon is certainly a well appointed, and technically advanced car, and one I hope they continue to make, as there is a market for it. The new engines will make a difference to the range, so that's a good thing. We need more manufacturing in Australia.
Previous: