Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
Windsor Mondeo
Starter Motor

Default 60,000KM Service - First Major Service

Hi - Just had my 08 Mondeo Zetec complete a 60,000km service thus thought create this thread. A major service with my rear brakes pads having to be replaced.

As a person who virtually lives in his car during the day I really noticed the difference in performance after this service. My car is religiously serviced each 15000k's.

Cost wise including service ,brake pad replacement and wiper rubbers changed was $805. Included a car wash which was nice to see they have started that again. Service done a Sinclair Ford Penrith with no issues at all - great team.

It would be interesting to hear about other peoples experience.

Old 22-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Katoomba

That seems very expensive considering previous services have cost $270 at Sinclair's.

What did they do for the extra $535? Surely the brake pads aren't that expensive? ;-)
Old 22-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #3
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

That 'IS' very expensive, can you post up the details on the receipt. I would love to see how they priced that up.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2009, 11:06 AM   #4
bobski

Wow - timely, I just had sticker shock booking my 2006 zetec in for its 60k service. $495 from ultraservice in Penrith. After the initial shock, I called around and that seems like a good price. I've used them before and have had no trouble so happy to use them again.

There's a lot of work in this one as its a big service. $800+ seems pretty expensive though. (edit: brake pad replacement might have got it up near $800)
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Katoomba

I've got mine booked in for its 60,000 tomorrow and was looking at the logbook and what has to be done.

It's only the normal A service plus replacement of spark plugs and air cleaner and checking the brake system with wheels off. Time to complete is 1 hour 42 against 1hour 12 for the A service.

I still don't see how Sinclair's price can go from $270 for an A service to around $800 for a B service, or run to $495 at Ultraservice.

Anyway, I will be specifically telling them no chargeable work other than the schedule without prior approval.

This will be my last Ford service before I revert to getting services done with my local Kmart.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Katoomba

Dropped the car in and the quote for the service is $440. I asked them to explain the extra $170 over the cost of an A service and got a lot of gobbely-gook. One was 'spark plugs are quite expensive you know'.

Why they need 5 or 6 clerks sitting at desks and being 'your service representative' I don't know.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Rapscallion
Seduce G6ET

Mine going in on Thursday for it's 60k service, also at Sinclair Ford. I'll let you know what happens.
Rapscallion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Katoomba

Raps,

The service did come to exactly $440. I was also glad learn the front disc pads still had 40% left and the rear ones 75%. They actually rotated the tyres for the first time and reckon they still have a lot of wear which is pretty good for factory fits in my experience.

I'm happy with the service, although still think it's expensive.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:16 PM   #9
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

If its anything like the XR5, the spark plugs are $38 each.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 01:13 AM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the selling points for the Mondeo in the UK is low servicing costs. But this is not in the dealer's interests, so they find ways to charge as much as they can. The oil and filter alone for my first service was over $100! And they just used Magnatec, not a full synthetic - I'll supply my own oil for the next service, or I may give Ford a miss completely.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Katoomba

The spark plugs werer $61.80 for 4,
the air cleaner filter $41.15,
oil filter $18.43
Havoline Premium 10/30 engine oil $34.40
Labour $202.07
plus a few odds and ends such environment oil levy etc.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #12
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Most auto repairers here in CBR will do the standard logbook service (which does not void warranty), with cheaper industry-std labour rates. Your labour was $118/hr - ouch!!
Time to find a reputable 'local mechanic'.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So spark plugs are changed every 60k ??? My Fez and Ghia are 150k spark plug changes .
Old 08-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #14
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Time to find a reputable 'local mechanic'.
I've been using the local Kmart Auto Service for quite a few years now and am very happy with them. I've never had to go back a second after repairs Have been done. Also they will do work at short notice if I need it.

They quoted me $190 ($80 less than Sinclair) for A services and that will include extras such as wheel rotation which aren't in the service schedule. Also I won't have the 45" each way trip which requires two cars.

Sinclair used to have a sales and service place at Lawson in the Blue Mountains and they were great. I bought 6 or 7 cars from them in ten years and the service manager was the best I've come across.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
ian b

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
Raps,

They actually rotated the tyres for the first time and reckon they still have a lot of wear which is pretty good for factory fits in my experience.
Are you saying that you have done 60000k's on the original rubber?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian b
Are you saying that you have done 60000k's on the original rubber?
Yes and the service guy's words were something like, "a fair bit of life left the tyres yet."
Old 08-10-2009, 10:41 PM   #17
ian b

That's pretty good, especially front wheel drive.

I just about squeezed 30000 out of my fronts, rear still OK. Tyres were not rotated.

What make are you on?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

ian b, there is a huge difference between the 17" and 18" OEM rubber. 30,000 to 40,000 is about the maximum you can expect out of the factory 18".
60,000 from the factory 17" is great mileage.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #19
Katoomba

I was just out looking at my tyres and I would say the front ones (which were on the rear up until the 60,000 service) may actually get to 100,000. The current rear ones maybe another 10-20,000.

The tyres are Goodyear Excellence 235/45R17 made in Germany.

My wife mainly drives this car and she said to tell you lot that obviously she's a much better driver than you all. :
Old 10-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #20
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

You would also expect to see a big difference in tyre wear between 2.3 petrol, diesel and 2.5T - engine power/torque delivered to tyres and types of drivers.....
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 03:12 AM   #21
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The spark plugs werer $61.80 for 4,
the air cleaner filter $41.15,
oil filter $18.43
Havoline Premium 10/30 engine oil $34.40
Labour $202.07
plus a few odds and ends such environment oil levy etc.
You might want to ask why they didn't use the correct oil for your car. It should be a 5W-30 and the recommended Havoline oil from the Caltex website is HAVOLINE SYNTHETIC C3 5W-30
Old 15-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
Francis

Have you guy's all had a good run with your Mondeos? Any issues that might of come up so far?
Francis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #23
Katoomba

As I mentioned above the tyres were rotated for the first time at the 60,000km service. One thing I've noticed since is the tyres (the front ones, I think) are very, very noisy now which I put down to the wear pattern when they were on the rear.

I think in the future I will get tyre rotation done at every service.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
I've been using the local Kmart Auto Service for quite a few years now and am very happy with them. I've never had to go back a second after repairs Have been done. Also they will do work at short notice if I need it.

They quoted me $190 ($80 less than Sinclair) for A services and that will include extras such as wheel rotation which aren't in the service schedule. Also I won't have the 45" each way trip which requires two cars.

Sinclair used to have a sales and service place at Lawson in the Blue Mountains and they were great. I bought 6 or 7 cars from them in ten years and the service manager was the best I've come across.
Yikes... This is the reason why I probably will never buy another new car. I was sick of paying $200+ for a 'grease and oil change' + an 'inspection' + a stamp in my log book. Then, my mobile would always ring, with the news that XX part was bordering on unraodworthy and that it had to be changed etc etc etc... The THOUSANDS I saved by getting a 2nd opinion is as much astounding as it is worrying.

$800 for a 60,000km service? $100 of that would have been for the wiper blades and the car wash!

Fully agree with getting a good local mechanic! My last major service was $800, same things changed as in the OP, and they decided to throw in a timing belt change....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2009, 04:57 AM   #25
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I mentioned above the tyres were rotated for the first time at the 60,000km service. One thing I've noticed since is the tyres (the front ones, I think) are very, very noisy now which I put down to the wear pattern when they were on the rear.

I think in the future I will get tyre rotation done at every service.
Yes, that will happen. Also, the rear tyres will wear differently to the front, which can affect the steering and grip when you do rotate them. In fact, I'd recommend that you "unrotate" your tyres and leave them where they are until they wear out.

You will get better tyre life, better handling and less noise if you rotate your tyres every 10,000 - 15,000 kms.
Old 18-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #26
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Just had our 60000km service done, it cost $655.

Replaced air filter, spark plugs ($127), normal stuff - oil, oil filter, washer solution, check/inspect/adjust.

They said the injectors needed cleaning and also said the air con needed a clean out "sanitation" was done.

Tried to the the missus it needs tyres now, the tread was not legal. Looks legal to me the rears which where on the front have some uneven wear. They'll need doing soon enough.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #27
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What happens if Ford issues a service bulletin for the Mondeo is your local mechanic going to know,especially if you need to load it to the ECM?

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post