Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV-Tickford Club of NSW > FPV-TCNSW Club Discussions

Old 18-07-2005, 09:29 PM   #1
greenman43
greenman43

Default Looking for a little help

Hi all,

I was referred here today by Warwick Browne (AU XR8, not sure of the username). He suggested someone may be able to point me in the right direction for a little advice.

I'm looking to buy either a Series 1 BA XR8 ('03), or a GT of the same year. What I;d like to find out at this point is the differences in spec between each car. It seems that pricewise it's about $10k, so if I get the XR8 I can afford to spend some $ on it ; however, if I buy the GT, it stays as is.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide,
Brian

Last edited by greenman43; 18-07-2005 at 09:45 PM.
greenman43 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

XR8 has 260 kw while the GT has 290kw..This was achieved by higher compression and better ecu tuneing...GT has tighter suspension ....
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2005, 07:41 PM   #3
BOSS 540
70 Mercury Eliminator

Greenman, XR8's are great bang for your buck. GT's are nice but Im very happy with mine and saved a big chunck of change. You can always do a few mods if you like but remember they have the same exhaust, and very similar engines (both built by FPV) except for the extra 30kw. Mine also likes 91- 92 unleaded, its 95-98 for GT's only Im told.
Old 28-07-2005, 12:39 PM   #4
greenman43
greenman43

Thanks ebxr8240 & Boss 540, much appreciated. From a little more research, it looks like the GT is closer to $15k more than the XR8, which makes it too much of a stretch, so the XR8 it is. I'm sure I'll be happy with it, and hope to start some modifying pretty much as soon as I get it. It seems that cams out of the US aren't stupidly expensive, and coupled with an EFI tune and air filter might be a nice way to pick up some hp.

BTW, is it just me, or when anyone sees a BMC air filter mentioned do they automatically think of British Leyland products and all that implies ?

Cheers,
Brian
Old 28-07-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
Chrispy

I'm sure FPV would be happy with the comments about their star car.
Differences also include better seats, steering wheel, road wheels, brakes, body kit, starter button(???), badging & free track day (new car only) etc.
Neither are a bad car.
Its only when once you start optioning the XR8 that you find yourself in a GT.

Chrispy
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 11:50 PM   #6
greenman43
greenman43

Sorry I missed this response, thanks for the comments Chrispy.

Cheers,
Brian