Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #61
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: Radio control

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Looking through some old posts.
Found some crappy old footage of my Ken Block Fiesta

And some of the Super 5SC
That should be motorvation to get atleast 1 battery for the fez..
I use cheap ebay youme power 4s batteries in my car (so depending on your esc's battery capability) and a 2 pack of 4s 6500mah lipos was $120. Yeah theyre cheap china batteries but im yet to have any issues with ballance charging or uneven cell discharge. As for chargers, aslong as its capable of ballance charging at a 1:1 rate, so for example a 3s 4000mah battery you charge at 3s @ 4A, things should be apples. Only other thing commonly forgotten is either order the correct battery connectors for the esc and charger or adapters.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 PM   #62
Kicking back

So i received batteries and adapters to go 6s on my rc car today. My jack of all trade capable charger, granted its 13 years old and has done car batteries, 730cca marine batteries etc, it also does 6s lipos. It did the gay magicians trick. It went up in smoke and poof.
Not so much an issue. It was old and yeah, almost $300 in 08, but i ordered the same but revised version for $40. I have a different charger for my 4s stuff.
So i gave my car a run today. Not 6s yet, im awaiting the electronic speed controller. Ran good as expected.
Did some maths. So on 16.8v on no load it should rev to over 40k rpm. Current long gearing, ie load, it revs to 39.5k rpm and does 101kmh.
At 25.2v no load it should rev to 60k. Its not going to do that under load. So, technically throwing more power=more speed. I dont doubt it, but its already a handfull and anything over maybe 70 is a bit sketchy, so if i get it way over 101kmh, im probably going to end up breaking stuff. I seriously dont know why i do stupid things, but stupid is as stupid does i guess.
Old 03-12-2021, 05:15 PM   #63
Kicking back

Got the 6s esc this morning. Slapped that bad chicken in. Did the software update so the thing did the whole telemetry thing and set the throttle/brake end points. Ran it on 4s and same same as a 4s esc.
So then i got a little greedy. So the partially charged 6s battery i slapped in it. It fits the battery tray sort of, but the tie down thing you have to bend the crap out of and can only clip 1 side in. Eh, I'll work that out later, its not broken yet.
On 4s it did 101kmh but was a massive handfull at that rate of knots. On a not fully charged 6s battery. The thing is an animal that cannot be tamed. I crashed it a few times but not bad enough to break anything, but on a relatively clean speed run i think i topped it out. It did 130.
So thats stock motor. I have ordered a temp sensor for the motor so i can set an over temp cutout. Just to save the motor. Not that i care if i blow it up, but knowing myself if i did it wouldn't be a stock motor going back in and its already a handfull on 4s, 6s is silly. I think for 90% of the time ill stick with 4s batteries.
Old 06-12-2021, 05:30 PM   #64
Kicking back

I havent got my replacement 6s charger yet, however i did recieve the motor temp sensor today. Its just a thermistor.
I wasnt going to do that, but i did. Reason being, motor temp was the 1 thing the telemetry didnt tell me. Every other useful thing it did, every useless thing it also did.
But running a 4s (14.8v fully charged) battery through it id get say 30 minutes thrashing the crap out of it, 40 minutes if i was spending part time not thrashing, and the motor would get warm but not hot. 6s however (25.2v fully charged and i have yet to have that privilege) on a non full battery and maybe a 6 minute rip, the motor got to the same warmth. Still not hot, but it got there faster. So i can set cuttoffs for pretty much every system, but prior, not motor temp. Rpm yes, but not temp. Atleast now i have a guage for temp and can decide if or if not to set the over temp for the motor.
I dont really give half a crap if i kill the stock motor. But theyre not cheap, and its more then i can handle, i reckon a cheap thermistor should tell me not to. And should is the operative word. It should save me killing that motor. Saving that motor is sort of a financial decision. Even with that, my breakage senses are tingling. If i cook it, i know myself well enough to know ill put some stupidly overpowered thing in it and just simply go from simply dumb to extreme stupidity. In all senses of the term.
Old 08-12-2021, 08:34 AM   #65
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
That should be motorvation to get atleast 1 battery for the fez..
I use cheap ebay youme power 4s batteries in my car (so depending on your esc's battery capability) and a 2 pack of 4s 6500mah lipos was $120. Yeah theyre cheap china batteries but im yet to have any issues with ballance charging or uneven cell discharge. As for chargers, aslong as its capable of ballance charging at a 1:1 rate, so for example a 3s 4000mah battery you charge at 3s @ 4A, things should be apples. Only other thing commonly forgotten is either order the correct battery connectors for the esc and charger or adapters.
I dont think ill be bothered with the Fez tbh.
Want some off road shenanigans again.
So tossing up getting this one.
https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/prod...er-king-shocks

I wouldnt mind the super rey version but not sure if i want to spend that much coin
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #66
Kicking back

Quote:
I dont think ill be bothered with the Fez tbh.
Want some off road shenanigans again.
So tossing up getting this one.
https://www.metrohobbies.com.au/prod...er-king-shocks

I wouldnt mind the super rey version but not sure if i want to spend that much coin
Yeh the super rey is pretty pricey, but at this time of the year its probably not the worst idea to hold out untill the after christmas sales and then see what deals are available.
I never would have bought my traxxas maxx if it was 1k which is what they typically go for. For $700, i was willing to make that gamble as for that you can get a lot less for the same price.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:13 PM   #67
Kicking back

My string of good luck struck again.
So after installing the motor temp sensor, i ran my rc on 4s because i was awaiting the 6s charger. Temp sensor worked but the thing died in its tracks. The receiver crapped the bed. Never had that happen before. So ordered a new receiver. In the meantime the charger came in, i happy days'd that. Got the receiver today and its all apples sort of. Nothing wrong with the new receiver, but when the old one failed it killed my steering servo, thats what i worked out today. Not the end of the world because parts are readily available, but even if theyre not overly expensive, they still cost money.
Man alive, i thought id had everything mechanical or what you physically hit and break almost bulletproof, which so far it has been with all the bits thrown in it, now its turned around to be the dumb stuff that shouldn't crap out in the first place.
To be fair though, i wont talk Ill of my rc car. Its seen a lot of run time and im not nice to it. All breakage is due to my own doing.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #68
Kicking back

So i recieved the new steering servo in the mail today. And on intall, i didnt make the same mistakes from 20 years ago.
So i got to run my thing on 6s. Its an animal.
It did cut out, however i was an overtemp and thas good as i have them set pretty low.
So things work.
It gears out at 130. Or 80.7mph for imperial persons.
So, at 50kmh its a bit of a handfull, 60, yeah a lot of a handfull. 100+. Thats a yeah nah but a bragg about it for what it is. 1/10th monster trucks do not do fast good.
Deffinately couldnt get close to 100 unless i went with belted tyres.
Old 10-12-2021, 09:23 PM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

So i ordered a Baja Rey today, same one as i posted above. I just didnt want to stretch to the super rey and its probably well out my skill set.
Then went local hobby shop and purchased a new LiPo charger, 3S LiPo and an adaptor that adapts the Deans connector to the EC5 on my new car.
Ill probably go and get another LiPo as i think ill need more than one. Should be here next week.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 12-12-2021, 12:20 PM   #70
Kicking back

Quote:
So i ordered a Baja Rey today, same one as i posted above. I just didnt want to stretch to the super rey and its probably well out my skill set.
Then went local hobby shop and purchased a new LiPo charger, 3S LiPo and an adaptor that adapts the Deans connector to the EC5 on my new car.
Ill probably go and get another LiPo as i think ill need more than one. Should be here next week.
It is handy having 2 batteries, sort of. Reason i say sort of is you dont want to run back to back, as in thats a sure fire way to overheat things. But it takes 15 minutes to let the car cool down but more then 15 minutes to charge a battery.
The losi does look like a really good peice of kit.
Old 14-12-2021, 12:59 PM   #71
Kicking back

Decided to give my rc car a lookover of the driveline. Mainly because im running a 6s esc and 6s batteries in a car designed for 4s. So being proactive as opposed to my style of being reactive. Driveline wise she looks apples, gears arent worn, axles arent showing any signs of twisting. So with all my previously broken axles it proves that the cheapskate always pays twice. So the ones i have in there were twice the cost of the stock ones that twist as if they're made of playdough, and 3 times as much the chinesium axles that last a lot longer then the stock ones but snap like kit kats. The expensive axles, for the amount of runs ive had from them with no breakage and they look mint, have actually worked out cheaper.
But reasonably pleased that the driveline has held up. Throwing 50% more power, thats typically a recipe for parts failure.
Old 14-12-2021, 02:24 PM   #72
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Radio control

Quote:
Throwing 50% more power, thats typically a recipe for parts failure.
Or for epic wheelstands

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
PHANTMXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #73
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Or for epic wheelstands
Mate, out of the box it would wheelstand like its its job. Its just been modificatiod to handle better, be more predictable and go a lot faster. The handling stuff makes sense. The go fast bits, thats borderline idiodic. It'll do 130 on 6s and thats more then it should, but it does it.
My goal was 100. It does 101 on 4s, so 130 on 6s surpasses my goal for this thing.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2021, 08:01 AM   #74
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Turned up yesterday, man what a rocket cant wait to get it on some dirt
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #75
Kicking back

Quote:
Turned up yesterday, man what a rocket cant wait to get it on some dirt
That thing looks like it would be sick to run on a bmx track.
Old 17-12-2021, 03:48 PM   #76
Kicking back

Ran my rc car today, so when the reciver went all suicide bomber it took out the steering servo and what i didnt realise at the time, it fried the telemetry expander. All the telemetry expander does for my rc car is allows the thing gps speed and the motor temp sensor to talk to the car. So the new telemetry expander came in today so gps was back.
I swapped back over from street tyres to the off road units, its a handfull on 6s and it did get a bit warm electronics wise. But

It still goes properly faster then it should.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-12-2021, 03:53 PM   #77
Kicking back

Oh, the lower left temp guage is the electronic speed controller, the top right is the motor temp, both safety warnings are set at 93°c.
Old 17-12-2021, 06:54 PM   #78
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
That thing looks like it would be sick to run on a bmx track.
Only drove it on the carpet in our spare warehouse at work. Too many grips.
Because of the 4 bar link in the rear it'll take a bit to learn how to jump it also.
AVC makes me look like a pro only had a bash round the front lawn today.
Might take it to the local rc track on the weekend. Already blown a tyre off the rim. I'm probably gonna get some proline trenchers for it to prevent the pizza cutter effect.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 17-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #79
Kicking back

The brand of wheel and tyre i uses is louise. So the wheels are proper bead locks, and the tyres are belted so they dont baloon. I get them from hobbies direct in victoria, they post things daily provided you order before 2pm.
Old 18-12-2021, 10:51 AM   #80
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been doing HO scale model rail for years but on a whim about six months ago I bought a Huina 1550 R/C excavator in 1:14 scale. Cost me about $120. Then I bought a Huina 1573 tipper truck also same scale.. Then an upgraded 1592 Huina excavator and a 1:16 scale dozer and a month ago a WL tipper truck quite similar to the 1573 one.

Whilst they are nowhere near the proper hobby grade level they do surprisingly well for a cheap price to start in a fascinating hobby . Both excavators will be upgraded with worm drive rams rather than gear driven ones they come with fairly soon ..Upgrade kits are about $80 each .. All up I've spent about $600 so far . One of my latest DCC /Sound model rail locomotives cost me $450 to put that into perspective ...

That said there are some prices well in excess of $5000 for similar looking items I have and even way more than that .. However if it's your passion and you can afford it , that's fine by me ..

Radio control in any guise is fun .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #81
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Man this things a handful. I might go back to a 2s LiPo until i get the hangs of it
Jumps are taking a bit to master, on carpet it was easy, dirt not so much. Plenty of donkey kicks from the rear resulting in front flips and nose dives, but too much throttle and its the otherv way. AVC on dirt is a wicked thing
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 18-12-2021, 03:42 PM   #82
Kicking back

Quote:
Man this things a handful. I might go back to a 2s LiPo until i get the hangs of it
Jumps are taking a bit to master, on carpet it was easy, dirt not so much. Plenty of donkey kicks from the rear resulting in front flips and nose dives, but too much throttle and its the otherv way. AVC on dirt is a wicked thing
Read the book as you may be able to set a training mode of sorts that limits power. With my truck if you dont have the bluetooth thingy the esc has 3 settings. 100% forward, reverse and brake. 100% forward and brake, no reverse. And 50% forward and reverse with brake. With the bluetooth you can fully adust power level percentages. I have the bluetooth for mine so have power set to 100 as i like going fast, but brake backed down to 70% as they were too agressive for the tyres i run.
Also check what suspension adjustment you have. Its very much trial and error untill you get it right but it will change how the truck behaves in the air and handling in general.
Old 18-12-2021, 09:58 PM   #83
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I've been doing HO scale model rail for years but on a whim about six months ago I bought a Huina 1550 R/C excavator in 1:14 scale. Cost me about $120. Then I bought a Huina 1573 tipper truck also same scale.. Then an upgraded 1592 Huina excavator and a 1:16 scale dozer and a month ago a WL tipper truck quite similar to the 1573 one.

Whilst they are nowhere near the proper hobby grade level they do surprisingly well for a cheap price to start in a fascinating hobby . Both excavators will be upgraded with worm drive rams rather than gear driven ones they come with fairly soon ..Upgrade kits are about $80 each .. All up I've spent about $600 so far . One of my latest DCC /Sound model rail locomotives cost me $450 to put that into perspective ...

That said there are some prices well in excess of $5000 for similar looking items I have and even way more than that .. However if it's your passion and you can afford it , that's fine by me ..

Radio control in any guise is fun .
Hide your wallet in the freezer or somewhere where you will temporarily forget. So model railway can become very expensive depending on how hardcore you are about it.
Rc heavy machinery, look it up on the youtubes. These guys are nuts with realism and expenditure. So to dedicate a room for a train table and a digital control setup, yeah thats 1 thing thats not cheap. But to dedicate a room for an rc quarry? I'd like to say they have rocks in their heads, but i sort of understand it. Not the financial side.
For me, my rc car is in no way shape or form realistic. But its modified to go fast. You cannot go fast in a real car without either risking public safety or a driver licence. So I'll take the rc car as an outlet to go fast as a responsible choice.
Old 19-12-2021, 08:54 AM   #84
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Read the book as you may be able to set a training mode of sorts that limits power. With my truck if you dont have the bluetooth thingy the esc has 3 settings. 100% forward, reverse and brake. 100% forward and brake, no reverse. And 50% forward and reverse with brake. With the bluetooth you can fully adust power level percentages. I have the bluetooth for mine so have power set to 100 as i like going fast, but brake backed down to 70% as they were too agressive for the tyres i run.
Also check what suspension adjustment you have. Its very much trial and error untill you get it right but it will change how the truck behaves in the air and handling in general.
I can turn the throttle down via the controller, which ive done at 75%

I havnt bothered too much with looking into other programable aspects of it yet, but i will.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-12-2021, 08:06 PM   #85
creative
I am Batman

Dont get into quads...

I'm about $10k deep in that....
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2021, 01:58 AM   #86
Kicking back

I haven't said anything lately about my rc car, reason being i havent broken it. I choose to use road tyres off road as the thing is overpowered and my offroad tyres make the thing rediculously difficult. So drag racers say spinning isnt winning, but in this thing if it doesnt spin its like a turtle on its back. Is I a idiot, maybe. It does go faster then it should. But its kind of like the bloke at the pub who says his car makes x amount of kw on the dyno yet has never taken it to a drag strip but only takes it to the local shops every other sunday.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #87
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

So i fitted some new tyres to it, yet to have a crack on the dirt.
Also keen eyes will see i accidently bought 2 different sets as the package they came in was the same. So ill go and get another set of the same ones (fronts)
Havnt had it on the dirt yet though.

Shell is a pita tbh. Also access to the inner workings is as pain too, motor easy enough, but speed controller and what not is very difficult
- Antz Turboside Intake
3 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #88
Kicking back

Granted different size wheels, but the uphills you have on the rear is what i use on my truck as my offroad set. My opinion is they grip on any surface.
Old 26-12-2021, 02:59 PM   #89
Kicking back

Quote:
So i fitted some new tyres to it, yet to have a crack on the dirt.
Also keen eyes will see i accidently bought 2 different sets as the package they came in was the same. So ill go and get another set of the same ones (fronts)
Havnt had it on the dirt yet though.
Man, you seriously have myself in 2 minds about getting a traxxas slash. Yeah they're no losi or hpi, i also dont have 3s batteries. However, i do have a 4s esc and 4s batteries. Traxxas stuff fits traxxas stuff? So what could go wrongż this is coming from myself who only recently lost my title as breakzilla for modifying things and putting the point of failure down the line.
I like the idea of a trophy truck. Something that does handling a bit better.
Old 26-12-2021, 05:35 PM   #90
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Man, you seriously have myself in 2 minds about getting a traxxas slash. Yeah they're no losi or hpi, i also dont have 3s batteries. However, i do have a 4s esc and 4s batteries. Traxxas stuff fits traxxas stuff? So what could go wrongż this is coming from myself who only recently lost my title as breakzilla for modifying things and putting the point of failure down the line.
I like the idea of a trophy truck. Something that does handling a bit better.
Having had a 4x4 slash many years ago, it was a mid range one not and ultimate version.
I definitely like this truck more, slash was super fun, mine had an LCG chassis aswell and i recommend fitting one if you get one.
Ultimate version comes with LCG i think.

But this thing just turns it up a notch from the slash IMO. An ultimate slash probably goes pretty well but im unsure the differences between a normal slash and ultimate version.
This was my old one

I think this Baja Rey is much more durable also. I havnt tried a 2s lipo yet but seen plenty of reviews with 2s and they saying its plenty fast. I got 3s only because i want to go full send It also has the option of 50/75/100% throttle to so can turn it down easily if needed.

I also did see on some sites it didnt come with the full spektrum set up ( i could be wrong), ie ESC and motor. I wasnt worried but mine has
- Antz Turboside Intake

Last edited by DJM83; 26-12-2021 at 05:41 PM.