Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2019, 01:09 AM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Insurance Implications of Retrofitting a Transmission Air/oil Cooler

Like most such policies, my insurance policy requires me to notify my insurer of any modifications made to my vehicles and gives the company the option of refusing any claims if I have not advised them of any such modifications.

With this in mind, and having bought a air/oil cooler to fit to my FG XR6 MKII I (not yet fitted) and looking at the vulnerable position it would be in, I contemplated the scenario where someone for example backed into my car in a carpark without me knowing and holed the cooler leading to the transmission failing and wondering if my insurer would cover the damage. In any event, I put this question to my insurer by phone call today.

When I called I was shuffled around a number people and clearly none of them had any idea about what I was talking about or the "milkshake" risk I was trying to mitigate (all insurance clerks rather than car people these days). The bottom line was that their view was that a) I would not be covered for an accident damaging the cooler and thus the transmission, b) any claim even if unrelated to fitting the cooler might be refused on the basis they had not been advised and c) if I advised them of the modification the policy would be cancelled. At the very least they said they would want my car and its mods to be examined by an engineer (at my cost) who could perhaps provide some certification in respect of the modification. I made the call anonymously and although pressured for my details did not provide them. It seemed to make no difference explaining that this modification would have no performance or safety implications (but I guess as they said, strictly speaking that is just my view).

I think I have three options:

a) Writing to the insurer with photographs of the kit I bought and relevant links to this site and some relevant YouTube videos hopefully convincing them that it's all OK and should have no impact on my policy;
b) Sell my air/oil cooler kit and just fit a new factory coolant/oil every 60,000km or 5 years (and perhaps fitting the kit years later when they would then probably have no idea if it was factory or not) ; or
c) Pretend I never had the conversation and proceed with fitting the kit without advising them. After all, they have never refused claims for my vehicles with arguably similar modifications such as retro-fitting thermo fans to cars that came with clutch fans or changing points ignitions systems to electronic ignition. But I guess in the last 20 years the world has changed and has become more rule bound an less DIY car repair and maintenance tolerant (and perhaps insurers have become bigger and more pedantic ****holes too).

I've had the car from new so I can't try the old "it must have been there when I bought it" line.

I also gather some dealers have fitted these kits to customers cars so you would think that gives some sort of implied manufacturer's endorsement of the modification. Has anyone had such a kit fitted by their Ford dealer or did I just imagine that?

I know I am really overthinking this, I should never have called my insurer and I should just go ahead, as I usually have in the past, and worry about it only if and when something goes wrong. What's your view. Has anybody advised their insurer they have fitted a transmission air cooler? Has anyone had a claim refused or a policy cancelled because of this or a similar modification.

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-11-2019 at 01:20 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 01:42 AM   #2
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: Insurance Implications of Retrofitting a Transmission Air/oil Cooler

On further reflection, I have to say, seeing I have been with my insurer since 1972, I always had 4 or more cars insured with them each year and have never had an accident where I was at fault (all the dozen or so accident I had since 1990 have been idiots on mobile phones running into the back of me or pushing another car into the rear of my car while I was stopped at traffic lights, stops signs and giveway signs) I expect that "out of goodwill" the company would not actually refuse any claim I made. Still this might be more of an issue for others hear with different claim records an/or dodgier insurers.
Old 27-11-2019, 08:01 AM   #3
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Default Re: Insurance Implications of Retrofitting a Transmission Air/oil Cooler

Did I just read that you used the words car insurer and goodwill in the same sentence?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just swapped the Territory to Shannons, and the rep that I spoke to knew exactly what I was on about when I said I had fitted an after-market transmission cooler to avoid a 'milkshake'.
It is noted as a modification on the policy.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Hopefully it hasn’t been put down as an aftermarket intercooler.

Fitting a transmission cooler doesn’t change speed or handling or acceleration, surely it’s proactive maintenance by an owner who uses their vehicle within design limits and maintains it in good/roadworthy condition? Not overly different in context of function/intention to the fitting of “aero” wiper blades in place of original metal framed type.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I wonder if you said nothing would they have ever known??

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 10:09 AM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been contemplating adding the same, am with RAA insurance, asked them the same Q and was advised, 'although its an added extra, if you get it fitted by an approved repairer and have paperweork to prove this, we would cover it. My mechanic is the local RAA mechanic. so nothing putting me off
Old 27-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #8
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd advise them on the next policy renewal.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you foresee making an insurance claim relating to the engine or Transmission?

No?

Then don't over complicate things
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 01:20 PM   #10
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
On further reflection, I have to say, seeing I have been with my insurer since 1972
time for a change then. Seriously. My renewal premiums are never as good as I can get by changing insurer and I have zero loyalty to them. Ring around and I'm sure you will find someone who accepts the mod, with no premium increase
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #11
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Can I ask which insurer this is?

Its only a minor modification.... What about people with turbos on there NA 4x4? I had raised suspension, bullbar, extra fuel tank etc. and RACV just said yep all good.

Seems really odd...

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 02:20 PM   #12
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would you even tell them?
They aren't going to refuse you a claim based on a small mod like that. They would have to demonstrate that it was the primary cause of an accident, and that they would have refused insurance to you if they did know about beforehand.
If someone backed into your car and damaged it, it's the third party's responsibility to replace it.

You are way over thinking it.
Worst case deny everything and say the previous owner must of put it there.

I know of someone who had bald tyres, skidded off the road and wrote the car off. Insurance still covered it because the person argued that they aren't a mechanic, they don't know what tyres are meant to look like, and the car had been recently serviced.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #13
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Why would you even tell them?
It's a condition of the policy both the detailed one and plain english guide they give you.

Quote:
Worst case deny everything and say the previous owner must of put it there.
As I said:
Quote:
I've had the car from new so I can't try the old "it must have been there when I bought it" line.
Old 27-11-2019, 03:38 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why would you even mention it. They would never in one million years deny a claim because of a trans cooler.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
Optional

I have investigated a lot of claims on behalf of insurers, not car insurance but at times involving the product liability angle of claims.

In the scenario you describe where the non-declared after market product was damaged and caused the transmission to fail, the insurer could deny that claim. But realistically they would expect to possibly lose that if challenged in a court, so if you get a lazy claims officer dealing with it, you'll get approved usually anyway.

If the Transmission failed, they would have no leg to stand on denying your claim due to an undeclared transmission cooler alone. They would have to show the cooler was of faulty design or faulty fitting for that to have any effect.

And if they did decide that was an issue, you would still be paid, but the insurance would try to claim part of their costs from the manufacturer and/or fitter. (that's where I would come in)
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
If someone backed into your car and damaged it, it's the third party's responsibility to replace it.
From my observation in such car park incidents the offenders usually do a runners so getting details of the driver and their insurer becomes a little difficult.
Old 27-11-2019, 06:20 PM   #17
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No dash cam with parking mode? I’m surprised; you’re quite a thorough person by nature.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 06:28 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optional View Post
I have investigated a lot of claims on behalf of insurers, not car insurance but at times involving the product liability angle of claims.

In the scenario you describe where the non-declared after market product was damaged and caused the transmission to fail, the insurer could deny that claim. But realistically they would expect to possibly lose that if challenged in a court, so if you get a lazy claims officer dealing with it, you'll get approved usually anyway.

If the Transmission failed, they would have no leg to stand on denying your claim due to an undeclared transmission cooler alone. They would have to show the cooler was of faulty design or faulty fitting for that to have any effect.

And if they did decide that was an issue, you would still be paid, but the insurance would try to claim part of their costs from the manufacturer and/or fitter. (that's where I would come in)
I didn't realise that Comprehensive insurance covered the driveline
Old 27-11-2019, 06:54 PM   #19
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I would like to know also so I can get insurance to fix my ranger transmission when it craps itself again
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
didn't realise that Comprehensive insurance covered the driveline
Of course it does when it is damaged in an accident such as a collision or as the result of an accident per the scenario I described. But a modified drivetrain without notification to the insurer can also invalid any insurance policy.

Quote:
No dash cam with parking mode? I’m surprised; you’re quite a thorough person by nature.
Yes; but it's not infallible any if the other person is not insured and a "man of straw" or the car is stolen you are still reliant on your own insurer. Or theysmash as window and rip of the dashcam before doing a runner.

Last edited by aussiblue; 27-11-2019 at 07:21 PM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2019, 07:24 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

BTW I am going with my third option. The only reason I pursued an inquiry with the insurer was that the plain English pamphlet came in with my renewal this week and one of the dot points was the need to advise the insurer of any mechanical or other vehicle modifications.
Old 27-11-2019, 08:24 PM   #22
Optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
You're right in the case of a failed transmission not part of an actual accident and comprehensive. So my comment probably wasn't that relevant.

Was mostly trying to help him understand how an insurance company might look at things like this generally.
Optional is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #23
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People are confusing the modification being a cause of the accident.

It is like this. You fit the transmission aftermarket cooler. You do not tell the insurer.

You at fault wipe out your car and a $500,000 Ferrari and the transmission cooler not involved in causing the accident. The Insurer notes aftermarket cooler in post accident investigation . If under their underwriting policies the Insurer would never have insured a car with a aftermarket transmission cooler and their business underwriting procedures prove this then at law they can deny indemnity under the policy.

Far better off disclosing such a vanilla mod and if insurer refuses to note on policy pull the insurance and find a reasonable insurer who will note cooler as a minor mechanical mod on the policy.

People talk about the mod causing or being involved in the occurance event for it to relevant. This is relevant to a negligence or tort claim, but is not relevant in
your contract claim under the policy in a claim against your insurer.

Another thing I am aware of a case where a guy was driving a crappy car with bald tyres and it crashed and took out a Mercedes. The insurer refused to indemnify saying it was a term that the car be roadworthy and had they been asked to insure a car with bald tyres they would have refused.

It is simple contract law with duty of disclosures under the Insurance Contracts Act and utmost duty of good faith obligations.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender

Last edited by asagaai; 28-11-2019 at 08:37 AM.
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #24
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Modifications and insurance coverage are something that most drivers do not think about when doing a mod.
Even something as simple as fitting a sports muffler can void your policy, IF the company wants to be pedantic and difficult. Most people will say that they have done that and not had a problem with a claim, so situation is BS. Correct, but the insurer could, if it was in the fine print, and they wanted to .
I am way past ‘hotting up’ my cars from standard, so my mods are wheels, cooler, towbars and ute hard lid and liner, all of which are noted on my policies.
As for the ute hard lid, that is definitely not a performance enhancing modification, but if I return to the car park and find that it is missing, along with my wheels, the insurer can’t deny that they were not covered.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #25
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Plenty of good advice, but personally I can't think of any good reason why an accident with sufficient force to push the bar etc. In far enough to damage a cooler mounted In front of the radiator, wouldn't have you thoroughly inspecting for damage to the cooler, or why you'd be driving away with that much damage anyway.
I'd be saying nothing and if hit with that much force I'd be calling my insurer and sending it off on a flatbed for repair.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2019, 12:07 PM   #26
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Plenty of good advice, but personally I can't think of any good reason why an accident with sufficient force to push the bar etc. In far enough to damage a cooler mounted In front of the radiator, wouldn't have you thoroughly inspecting for damage to the cooler,
Many years ago someone with I suspect a long towbar tongue but no ball or something similar, backed into and punched a small hole through the black plastic grill of my LC Lancer and holed the radiator while my car was parked in a car park (all day parking while I was at work). There were no obvious signs when I returned to the vehicle as the small broken piece of black plastic grill was pushed in behind the grill and it didn't start leaking coolant until the cooling system built up pressure (fortunately the radiator leak was small and I noticed the temp gauge go slightly up and was able to detect the issue when I got home). I had my suspicions about another vehicle that also sometimes parked there and had a tow tongue of the right height but I could not prove a thing and the driver may not even have realised what she had done. Something similar could happen with the FG trans cooler without it being noticed; it has a similar black plastic grill to the LC Lancer where small punch holes may not be so readily evident at a cursory glance. Yes; I would have to be very unlucky to have this happen again.
Old 28-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Many years ago someone with I suspect a long towbar tongue but no ball or something similar, backed into and punched a small hole through the black plastic grill of my LC Lancer and holed the radiator while my car was parked in a car park (all day parking while I was at work). There were no obvious signs when I returned to the vehicle as the small broken piece of black plastic grill was pushed in behind the grill and it didn't start leaking coolant until the cooling system built up pressure (fortunately the radiator leak was small and I noticed the temp gauge go slightly up and was able to detect the issue when I got home). I had my suspicions about another vehicle that also sometimes parked there and had a tow tongue of the right height but I could not prove a thing and the driver may not even have realised what she had done. Something similar could happen with the FG trans cooler without it being noticed; it has a similar black plastic grill to the LC Lancer where small punch holes may not be so readily evident at a cursory glance. Yes; I would have to be very unlucky to have this happen again.
Totally agreed, under the right circumstances there's obviously a scenario where damage could be done which you wouldn't notice, but the odds are very slim.

Chances are you'd smell the trans fluid anyway, its not like water or coolant which would evaporate, trans fluid has a distinct smell and id say you'd smell/see it or notice the box start to slip long before you did irreversible damage to it and if it we're only a slight leak you'd need to do a considerable journey before you lost enough to notice.

Under those circumstances you probably wouldn't claim it on your insurance as the excess would be greater than the grill/cooler.

When I had one fitted to my BF3 it began leaking soon after as one of the lines weren't tightened up fully, it blew back onto the radiator which being hot and the fluid exposed, gave off a smell I noticed straight away.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post