Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Default Too slow buddy. Cop that.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/i...9ba4958e5118bb
Old 15-01-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Too slow buddy. Cop that.

I love if drivers are fined for excessively slow speeds, but I feel it was a poor choice of words to say “can’t do the limit stay off the freeway”.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 04:04 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
I love if drivers are fined for excessively slow speeds, but I feel it was a poor choice of words to say “can’t do the limit stay off the freeway”.

I can understand a driver going slow for a valid reason if vehicle developed a problem but really Freeways are designed for maximum posted speed for easy traffic flow.
About time police issuing fines for the morons who obstruct other road users.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got stuck behind someone on the weekend (in a camry i might add) merging onto the Hume at 60.. only putting their foot down once on..

extremely dangerous when its a 110kph limit
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
sewingman
Starter Motor

camry drivers I find have replaced the Volvo drivers from the 70's.
sewingman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 04:48 PM   #6
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Many years ago (80s, maybe even earlier) my brother-in-law was pulled over and given a speeding ticket.
Being the smart-alec, he left the policeman, pulled out and idled along at 5kmh.
Got pulled over again and fined for impeding traffic

ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
I can understand a driver going slow for a valid reason if vehicle developed a problem but really Freeways are designed for maximum posted speed for easy traffic flow.
About time police issuing fines for the morons who obstruct other road users.
I have no issue with someone on a 110 freeway doing 105 or 100 in the far left lane. The warning from the coppers should be to stay left (not middle or right) unless overtaking. There’s plenty of valid reasons for slowing down, such as towing, or poor weather conditions, but stay far left.

They all want everyone to sit smack on 110km/h then wait in hiding at the bottom of a decline ready to catch you at 115km/h.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

There are no facts about is fine.

Why was the person pulled over by the cops?

Why was someone fined for doing 28kms under the speed limit when L/P drivers are limited to 20kms under the speed limit?

Is an 8km/h difference significant?

Need more info.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Western Ring Road Outbound between Ballarat Rd and McIntyre Rd the left lane average speed is 70kmh in the lightest of traffic everyday while the other lanes are 90-100kmh+. If there are any coppers on here that want to make easy money on this road law head there please because it annoys the crap out of me. It's even worse when people who are crawling at sub 70kmh speeds try to merge into the lanes of cars going 100kmh.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #10
.:4:.
Kicking back

My ex father in law back when he held a licence maybe 5 years back didnt cop a fine, but got asked to leave the vehicle then breathoed for doing 40 in a 60 zone. He was offended, but 40 in the right lane in a 60 zone is annoying.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 11:21 PM   #11
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Not that I disagree with slow drivers being a nuisance, but I wonder if there is a legal case against this. Its a speed "limit" so you should not go over the signed speed, there is no speed minimum sign so I believe you are well within your rights to dive at a lower speed. If it was a 110 zone, they were doing 82.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2019, 11:37 PM   #12
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
There are no facts about is fine.

Why was the person pulled over by the cops?

Why was someone fined for doing 28kms under the speed limit when L/P drivers are limited to 20kms under the speed limit?

Is an 8km/h difference significant?

Need more info.
It's illegal in WA to go more than 20kays below the limit, but only on freeways.
Don't know about L/P platers limited to 20 under the posted limit, not the case in WA anyway.
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2019, 11:38 PM   #13
UTXR8

revenue raising...simple...
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 05:28 AM   #14
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTXR8 View Post
revenue raising...simple...
Not in this case. Give the coppers some credit. As they said:

Driving 28kmh under the speed limit on the freeway causes frustration which results in bad decisions which results in accidents. Can't do the limit stay off the freeway!

If that’s revenue raising then I’ll buy that copper a beer.

As for L platers, they have a bright yellow ‘L’ plate on the back of their car so everyone knows the reason for them travelling under the speed limit.

As for there being a reason for travelling slow, it happens, and most people with half a brain would travel with the hazard lights on, especially if they’re on a bloody freeway.

Personally, if I had to travel slow I’d be looking at other options as opposed to jumping on a freeway. Great story and great result, good on em’.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 07:41 AM   #15
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Not that I disagree with slow drivers being a nuisance, but I wonder if there is a legal case against this. Its a speed "limit" so you should not go over the signed speed, there is no speed minimum sign so I believe you are well within your rights to dive at a lower speed. If it was a 110 zone, they were doing 82.

Read your states road laws regarding going slow on highways & roads as you are required to pull over when safe to do so and left traffic pass you otherwise you can get a fine.
The law clearly states you should not impede traffic flow by driving well under the posted speed, exceptions do apply with permits.
7 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #16
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least other drivers had a chance to overtake as it was on a multi laned road.
Up here, single lane only, twisty roads with very few safe chances of passing. B doubles and caravanners doing 40kmh uphill, 75-80kmh downhill and on the straights except when you get a chance to pass then it's 100kmh just for long enough to stop you passing. That's for a highway drive through 9 towns!
Good on the coppers!
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 08:34 AM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found this funny, this morning on my way home from work I passed under one of those electronic road warning signs which said:
“Stay below the speed limit”.
Old 16-01-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Read your states road laws regarding going slow on highways & roads as you are required to pull over when safe to do so and left traffic pass you otherwise you can get a fine.
The law clearly states you should not impede traffic flow by driving well under the posted speed, exceptions do apply with permits.

Could you please post this on the caravan forums, please OM.
I have had one, ONE! caravan pull off to let me past in the last 25 years!
Prior to this, it was a more common practice.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 10:09 AM   #19
sewingman
Starter Motor

I agree
Old 16-01-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
sewingman
Starter Motor

My understanding is its against the law to travel anything under 21km/hr the speed limit. police can charge you with that
Old 16-01-2019, 10:56 AM   #21
Sioso
irregular member

About 12 months ago I was doing my daily commute from Southern Highlands to Nowra (approx. 55k's) and there was someone in an old Landcruiser towing a giant caravan, right behind them was a highway patrol car and behind that was about 20+ cars.
There is no overtaking lane that opens at any point during that trip and overtaking both the cop and the guy towing would require speeding so we were all left sitting behind at speeds as low as 10km/h going up and down the mountain sections.
There is plenty of places to pull over especially on some of the steeper sections and this driver just flat out refused to pull over - the cops didn't do a thing about it!
I can only assume the inconsiderate pr%$k towing the van was related to the inconsiderate pr&%k in the cop car.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #22
mitch

Yes there is a minimum speed limit on the WA freeway. If you cannot do the minimum, use any of the alternative roads to get to where you are going, there are plenty.

As far as I am aware, L platers in WA now drive at the posted speed limit on any WA road. I think it was a good common sense move, to let them gain experience of normal road conditions before they got their license

Now please WAPOL, start fining right hand lane road blockers, the spuds that sit next to the car in the left hand lane for Km after Km
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #23
Electrolyte Burns

I was over in WA a few years ago now, one morning listening to the radio some high up cop was talking about revenue from speeding cameras. The story was the revenue had gone down from 35 million to 31. I was then expecting him to say the cameras are good as they are reducing speeding. I was shocked to hear him say that the department had lost the 4 mil and would need to recover it somehow.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 01:03 PM   #24
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'll often get stuck behind a 70km/h caravanner heading up the 20km climb to Beechworth seems simple enough to move over and wave others past, I do it myself all the time when in the truck loaded heading up the same hill.

Problem is a lot of caravanner's don't want to use towing mirrors anymore and are in denial about what's happening behind them.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2019, 03:46 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND
Going 28kph under the speed limit is just as dangerous as going 28kph over. The closing speed of cars coming up from behind is very dangerous if slow poke decides to quickly change lanes.

I'm pretty sure the law has something about driving at an appropriate speed.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2019, 04:22 PM   #26
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrolyte Burns View Post
I was over in WA a few years ago now, one morning listening to the radio some high up cop was talking about revenue from speeding cameras. The story was the revenue had gone down from 35 million to 31. I was then expecting him to say the cameras are good as they are reducing speeding. I was shocked to hear him say that the department had lost the 4 mil and would need to recover it somehow.
The money doesn't go to the Police, it goes to the Government and they filter some of it back to roads, road safety and other stuff.
Police don't see any of it except in what ever the budget for that year allocates to them.
It may have been the Minister for Police who would have said such a (stupid) comment. The Commissioner doesn't need to find the extra shortfall.

Maybe this is why the Government here is talking about reducing the speed limit by 10 kays. Would be an absolute boom time for the cameras for a year or two until driver finally modified their driving habits and reduce by 10km/h.
Kaching, kaching
Old 16-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #27
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Could you please post this on the caravan forums, please OM.
I have had one, ONE! caravan pull off to let me past in the last 25 years!
Prior to this, it was a more common practice.

I know how you feel with some inconsiderate caravans owners being slow hogging the roads. No thought for others but themselves.
Mind you I tow a caravan regularly myself.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:37 PM   #28
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

From page 39 of the NSW Learners Handbook:

Speed limit signs Speed limit signs state the maximum speed you are allowed to drive in good conditions. Although you must not go faster than the speed limit allows, you can drive slower if you wish.

How ever from what I could find it not actually about the speed you are doing, its more about obstructing traffic as explained below.

A speed limit is a maximum that a driver may travel at. The conditions of the road, weather or other factors may mean a driver should travel at a lower speed than the posted speed limit.
The rules about driving below the speed limit relate to not obstructing other road users rather than stating a minimum speed.
A driver must not unreasonably obstruct the path of another driver or pedestrian. A driver is not considered to be unreasonably obstructing another road user if the driver is stopped in traffic; or if the driver is driving more slowly than the other vehicles (unless the driver is driving abnormally slow in the circumstances).
The rules provide an example of a driver driving abnormally slow: “A driver driving at a speed of 20 kilometres per hour on a length of road to which a speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour applies when there is no reason for the driver to drive at that speed on the length of road”.
The key factor in this example is “when there is no reason” for the slower speed. Under adverse conditions, such as rain, at night, a poor road surface, or in areas with high pedestrian activity, it is often necessary to drive at a speed that is lower than the posted speed limit.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #29
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Not in this case. Give the coppers some credit. As they said:

Driving 28kmh under the speed limit on the freeway causes frustration which results in bad decisions which results in accidents. Can't do the limit stay off the freeway!

If that’s revenue raising then I’ll buy that copper a beer.

As for L platers, they have a bright yellow ‘L’ plate on the back of their car so everyone knows the reason for them travelling under the speed limit.

As for there being a reason for travelling slow, it happens, and most people with half a brain would travel with the hazard lights on, especially if they’re on a bloody freeway.

Personally, if I had to travel slow I’d be looking at other options as opposed to jumping on a freeway. Great story and great result, good on em’.
To be fair though, it was 9:40pm Monday night and there are 3 lanes (northbound) on that part of the freeway so he almost certainly wasn't blocking anyone.

No that it excuses the driver from the letter of the law though and slow drivers are damn annoying if they are dawdling along blocking, especially in overtaking lanes.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #30
sewingman
Starter Motor

back in the old days when they stopped give way to the man on your right and they introduced give way and stop signs, yes I am that old, you were not to proceed from a give way sign or stop sign if you effected the flow of the traffic.