Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 29-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No Problems with Powershift

It might be an idea to cheer things up a bit. I have two cars with 135000 each and no problems. I guess it's a worry for people reading these posts. One thing for sure: repairs are expensive, but how frequent are these problems?
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
bundybear75

Default Re: No Problems with Powershift

That's good to know, its typical of these forums that people (myself included) only report the bad stuff when things go wrong. Its encouraging to hear someone having a good experience.

Cheers

George
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

75,000, no problems!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Are they attached to diesels. If so that's why. If petrol damn that's a good effort. Dads mc mondeo diesel is 100000 with no issues throughout the whole car
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

MC Zetec EcoBoost 50,000km. No problems with the PowerShift transmission performance or reliability. Mind you, I'm not looking forward to the 60,000km service.

I have found that you do have to use a slightly different technique than a torque converter auto, i.e. no holding the brake pedal while using the throttle to stop it rolling back on hill starts, but that is easy to master and the hill holder works a treat. Also I find that when you press the throttle, you need to be decisive and accelerate smoothly. If you back off it can go back to neutral and be a little jerky. I regard that as a characteristic of this type of gearbox and you have to be mindful of it.

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-02-2016, 07:16 PM   #6
Binny

I tell you what some of the recent threads have been making me nervous that's for sure.
Even with 18 months factory extended warranty left I still wonder if I made the right decision sometimes. Recently mine has had a couple of stumbles like it had to have a second go at changing gears.
Otherwise no dramas for the 40,000k I've had it. Now at 95,000.
Old 29-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #7
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm at an age where I just want to get off the mark on time. I use both feet, is that a bad habit? So far no problems, Maybe in the timing?
Old 29-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #8
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyonero View Post
MC Zetec EcoBoost 50,000km. No problems with the PowerShift transmission performance or reliability. Mind you, I'm not looking forward to the 60,000km service.

I have found that you do have to use a slightly different technique than a torque converter auto, i.e. no holding the brake pedal while using the throttle to stop it rolling back on hill starts, but that is easy to master and the hill holder works a treat. Also I find that when you press the throttle, you need to be decisive and accelerate smoothly. If you back off it can go back to neutral and be a little jerky. I regard that as a characteristic of this type of gearbox and you have to be mindful of it.
I'm a two footer, maybe it's in the timing?
Old 29-02-2016, 07:27 PM   #9
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
I tell you what some of the recent threads have been making me nervous that's for sure.
Even with 18 months factory extended warranty left I still wonder if I made the right decision sometimes. Recently mine has had a couple of stumbles like it had to have a second go at changing gears.
Otherwise no dramas for the 40,000k I've had it. Now at 95,000.
We get bad news from a limited base? Most Mondeo owners are not members of this forum? The customer relations people my Ford dealer tell me they have not had many problems.

The UK talkford forum isn't exactly full of complaints is it?

Last edited by rondeo; 29-02-2016 at 07:32 PM. Reason: additions
Old 29-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #10
borntoshop666

just adding my 5 cents to the Thread.
I had a MB Titanium Diesel Wagon.
In just over 3 years, it clocked up 238000 km with no Powershift Issues.
I did have, as per Handbook, the Trans Oil changed every 60000 km.

I am currently driving a MD Ambiente Diesel Wagon, has done 45000 km since mid August. No Problems
Old 29-02-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

MC Mondeo Titanium EcoBoost.

Whilst I prefer a traditional torque converter auto and its smoothness compared to PowerShift, we have had no issues so far.

I think the different operating characteristics of PowerShift (a more positive/direct feel) compared to a conventional "slushy" auto gearbox contributes to the many complaints. Many people are stepping out of Falcon's and the like and expecting the box to feel the same and are then attributing this "feel" as a fault.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 09:07 AM   #12
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoshop666 View Post
just adding my 5 cents to the Thread.
I had a MB Titanium Diesel Wagon.
In just over 3 years, it clocked up 238000 km with no Powershift Issues.
I did have, as per Handbook, the Trans Oil changed every 60000 km.

I am currently driving a MD Ambiente Diesel Wagon, has done 45000 km since mid August. No Problems
You had a MB with the Powershift? I thought it was introduced on the MC?

I have a MB manufactured in August 2010, and it has the Aisin 6-speed.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Whilst I prefer a traditional torque converter auto and its smoothness compared to PowerShift, we have had no issues so far.

I think the different operating characteristics of PowerShift (a more positive/direct feel) compared to a conventional "slushy" auto gearbox contributes to the many complaints. Many people are stepping out of Falcon's and the like and expecting the box to feel the same and are then attributing this "feel" as a fault.
That's a good point; you can just ease away from a stop with a torque converter and it's quite happy to do that. But from my experience with VW's, you do need to more definite with the accelerator when moving off.

However, people in the other thread clearly have serious problems with their trans. Very disappointing when you've paid good money for a used car and it has problems like that.
Old 01-03-2016, 11:46 AM   #14
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
You had a MB with the Powershift? I thought it was introduced on the MC?

I have a MB manufactured in August 2010, and it has the Aisin 6-speed.
Powershift was in some late MB's, maybe only TDCi.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/67022/20...deo-diesel-mb/
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #15
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That is interesting. Looks like Ford Australia changed over, but NZ didn't.

On balance, I'm happy not to have the Powershift. Lower maintenance costs and unlikely to fail.
Old 01-03-2016, 10:02 PM   #16
stuart

MA TDCi sedan and MC Titanium diesels both over 60,000 km each without any transmission issues
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2016, 12:09 AM   #17
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post

Yeah it's a good point. I actually prefer the more direct feel. I've always preferred manuals and as far as autos go this powershift is the best I have owned. Its under 15km/h that it can be a pain but I get why as it has to make decisions around when to engage/disengage the clutches, just like you do if you drive a manual. Over 15k it's brilliant. Instant, decisive gear changes, never hunts on hills or anything and theres always manual mode.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #18
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

(23/06/2009 Build) MB TDCI Zetec owner here, no Sports auto transmission issues. I was looking for the latest model with slushbox and found this fleet owned one.

So far I've bought floor mats, window tint oils/filters/fluids/tyres/rear pads and rotors/Radiator Fan with controller.

I want the suspension done next and it'd be good to go. 2yrs of ownership has been great. I've gone from 15K kms a year to 25K kms just because I can drive longer and it costs near on the same. I always told the GF in the late 90's (now missus) that if we ever go a diesel make it a turbo diesel and auto trans. Who'd have thought the Mondeo was to be that vehicle.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post