Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 18-02-2016, 11:22 AM   #1
whitetdci

Default Power Steering Issue ***A MUST READ***

I have a 09 MA Tdci which I maintain mechanically well eg coilovers remapped excellent tyres etc.
I started to have a issue with the power steering whilst on an extended trip in remote area. It progressively escalated until I needed ring ahead to the next big town to fly in a power steering pump. I self diagnosed this as it sounded like the pump, using the old screw driver stethoscope. Seemed to fix it at the time but 2 months later and back home it started up again. Ford replaced the pump under warranty and told the wife (who normally drives it) that the noise she now heard was just air and it should go away after a couple of days driving. After a couple of days she said it was getting worse. I drove it and was definitely not air in the line. Rang Ford who said that it was the steering rack and that it would cost $1750.00 for the part and $1000.00 for the fit! I have this inherent lack of trust with dealer workshops and in particular Ford as they have the tendency to just throw parts at the car in a shotgun approach at solving the problem. I took the car to a reputable steering place who had a look and confirmed it was the rack and that is was also an un-serviceable rack. We both agreed to go away and see who could find the best deal on a rack. I actually found a guy on Ebay who ran a shop in Sydney who services them. The steering place wanted me to ring him as the pic didn't match the rack (he had just put a stock steering rack pic on the ebay page). Well this guy, apart from confirming that he did have the right rack, told me that the problem was quite possibly the reservoir and not the rack. Like what?? He said go away and google it and check for yourself. I did and it seems in the UK there is a known problem such as this. OK so I bought the OEM power steering reservoir for $120 and took it to the steering place (not letting Ford do the work after the last effort and the subsequent quotes. Like who takes 10+ hours to do a rack??) They told me straight up that they didn't think that this would fix the issue at all and that I would more than likely need a rack too. I was prepared to take the risk of $120, after all you are still getting a new reservoir and inline filter.
So they changed it and much to everyone's surprise and my delight, it fixed it completely. Not more shuddering in the lines or cavitating from vibration after the engine stopped. Steering is now assisted and quiet. It seems that the inline filter within the reservoir, which incidentally is not serviceable too, can clog up and obstruct the flow. The new one has 2 filters in line. So there, thanks for reading this thesis and keep this one in mind if you or anyone you know has an issue such as this with their mondy.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 18-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #2
sailaway

Default Re: Power Steering Issue ***A MUST READ***

Thanks for some useful advice but PLEASE use some spacing (Paragraphs) to make reading easier.

I had to keep going back and reading lines again and with a memory like a sieve kept forgetting what I had thought I had read.

Hope that makes some sense.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-02-2016, 10:36 PM   #3
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

whitetdci - what is your mileage?

A few people here seem to have high mileage Mondeos (200,000+) but this is the first tme I've come across this issue (in 5yrs of lurking....). My 2010 XR5 has just clocked 90K.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2016, 10:59 PM   #4
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Known issue. My pump and rack have been changed under warranty thankfully. Car had under 100k. One theory I've heard is that seals in the rack deteriorate and that causes the blockage in the filter. Hopefully it's all good for you whitetdci but don't rule out that the underlying problem is still there. I think there was a few months gap between my pump/filter change and rack replacement. Initially it helped but went pear shaped again and then it required a rack change.
Old 19-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect it may be a potential issue for MA (2007- Jan2009) only.

MB was 2009-Jan2011, MC was 2011-2014.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2016, 06:46 PM   #6
whitetdci

280,000 kms on the dial
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recall from the UK TalkFord forum that some early Mk 4 Mondeos had power steering pump problems. IIRC, the filter could fail and allow metal pieces into the rack, which caused seals to fail. So you were probably lucky that the filter blocked.
Old 20-02-2016, 01:36 AM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

yes this is well talked about on UK TalkFord.

good heads up though...
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post