Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default The last Commodore rolls off the line on the 20th...

Interesting retrospective about the demise of car manufacturing in Australia:

http://www.theage.com.au/business/ho...12-gz06x2.html

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
stock1991
Limited supply

Default Re: The last Commodore rolls off the line on the 20th...

it's hard for me to put into words. The factory is a 15 minute drive from me and while I am Ford through and through, there has always been a Holden factory in my lifetime. In a way Ford wouldn't be Ford without Holden. The fact that both companies have ceased manufacturing is just, monumental. All our lives have changed forever.
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #3
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Bloody sad for all the keen Holden crew. Loyal Ford fans know exactly how they'd be feeling from a year ago. Funny how a screwed together item made of metal , plastic, glass , rubber and various fluids can affect your emotions like they do but they do.

Despite that more superficial stuff the really upsetting bit is all those wonderful people at Holden and Toyota now and Ford last year who face a life without what so many of them have dedicated decades to in many cases.

It's not as if that many can stay in nuts and bolts motor manufacturing industry in any shape or form either because in the words of Bugs Bunny "THAT'S ALL FOLKS"

RIP Holden , Toyota and dear ol' Ford Australian factories. . All really gone by this time next week.

Last edited by roddy1960; 14-10-2017 at 09:21 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-10-2017, 12:24 AM   #4
stock1991
Limited supply

i remember a story from a guy I know who worked at Holdens for years. One of the workers would occasionally wear a Ford cap, around Bathurst time or when Clipsal 500 was in Adelaide. One day, one of the tools from management saw him and the word came down for him to stop wearing it. From that day apparently he wore it every day and pushed it further with t-shirts and jackets lol. The union backed him all the way
3 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bev Brock was on the radio this morning talking about the closure. Saying " how Holden has been part of the Australian way of life for years."
Old 16-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Did anyone go to the dream cruise on the weekend? Any piccies??
Old 16-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Odd that they named it "Dream Cruise".

I would have though "bad dream" cruise would have been more appropriate considering so many are losing their jobs and the story stops on October 20.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #8
Sioso
irregular member

I'll be interested to see the price they get for the last vehicle that rolls off the production line - or at least the last one available to the public.
The last one will probably go off to a museum.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2017, 07:54 PM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , I assume that last N/A XR6 is in a museum . Kind of sad really if you ask me. Just imagine if they'd had a nationwide raffle for the very last Ford Falcon ever ...It would have made plenty of spondoolies and the car's value would have been crazy . The mind boggles
Some were disappointed that it was a normal Falcon XR6 . I wasn't because it was extremely fitting that it represented the vast majority of all the three million plus falcons that were naturally aspirated six cylinder chariots.
It'll be interesting on Friday to see how Holden approaches it all . Cheers Rod.

Last edited by roddy1960; 16-10-2017 at 08:02 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #10
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is in body shop now

Sedan with sun-roof..SS-v, Redline, Calais (or maybe Director)?

https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/17...types=og.likes

Gutted! Not just because I am a Holden guy and it is the last 'true' Holden, but more because it is the last of mass produced cars in Australia.

Last edited by Iggle Piggle; 16-10-2017 at 08:23 PM.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 12:46 AM   #11
Sprint XR8

Quote:
More details of last Aussie Holden emerge

After the image of what appears to be the last Australian Holden Commodore emerged last week, new pictures are now filling in more of the story.

Holden have still not confirmed details of the last Commodore to be built on Aussie shores, but if anecdotal and photographic evidence is to be believed, the last Aussie Commodore will be a red SS-V Redline sedan.

Last week, a Holden spokesperson told MOTOR: ““Officially we’re still manufacturing until the 20th of this month. At this point we can’t confirm anything or give any details about the photo.”

Another photo, also posted on the ‘Farewell to Holden Manufacturing in Australia’ Facebook page, shows the empty production line behind the Redline’s skeleton.

If the timing of the photographs is consistent with their release, the last Australian Commodore currently has a bonnet and boot, as well as some side panelling, but no doors, bumpers, wheels, or internals.

As with the first image, comments on the Facebook post suggest that Holden workers and former employees believe the images are genuine.

“So strange to see,” one user begins.

“The car lines in Holden were so alive. People moving about working on the cars, the sound of the line and its bells, warning tones and movement, the fork trucks and part deliverers.

“Unless you have worked there and seen it operating you wouldn't realise how alive it was.

“RIP the Holden line and my former workplace.”

Over the next week, and up until October 20, Holden will wind down manufacturing until it ends its 69-year-old car manufacturing operations in Australia.

After that, HSV will technically be the sole vehicle manufacturer in the country.
https://www.motormag.com.au/news/171...-holden-emerge
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #12
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
it's hard for me to put into words. The factory is a 15 minute drive from me and while I am Ford through and through, there has always been a Holden factory in my lifetime. In a way Ford wouldn't be Ford without Holden. The fact that both companies have ceased manufacturing is just, monumental. All our lives have changed forever.
I'm hearin' ya Brother!

I'm not much into the cars they built at Elizabeth per se, but having been born only 500m from the glass house and having the plant as the back drop to my childhood, the thought of it all going silent in 2 days is depressing to say the least.
Last week i was discussing Sunday's farewell cruise with my mate who worked on the line for 30 years and took a package 2 years ago.
I asked him if he was attending and he said he couldn't do it, too many memories and not something he wanted to revisit emotionally.

We hang **** on Holden, but when you strip away the Blue/Red rivalry, these production plants mean a hell of a lot to so many people, wether you were privileged to work there or not, for an area like Elizabeth, Holden's was instrumental in not only building cars, but social fabrics and pride.

I drove past it yesterday and it hit me like a freight train, its all over and my home town will never be the same again.

To use the words of Joni Mitchell...Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you’ve got till it's gone.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 12:22 PM   #13
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
.......In a way Ford wouldn't be Ford without Holden. The fact that both companies have ceased manufacturing is just, monumental. All our lives have changed forever.
And that is EXACTLY why when Ford announced their closure, Holden was ALWAYS going to follow. Ford couldn't justify a unique for Australia model unless it had competition from GM. And Holden couldn't justify a unique for Australia model unless it had competition from Ford.

When Ford announced in 2013 that they are closing people used to rubbish me saying that Ford makes **** cars so that is why they closed and Holden's future was safe. I told them Ford's closure GUARANTEES Holden's closure and Toyota will not want to be left alone supporting the industry.

The local auto industry died on 23rd May 2013.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 01:48 PM   #14
bbbero

Interesting article. Big picture, wouldn't of cost much to keep manufacturing going in our country, for a while anyway.
http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...fa08883b30fed7

I'm not sure how many taxpayers there are in Aus, but calculating some rough figures, it would of cost each taxpayer no more than $25 per year for the 300million gov funding to keep Holden and Toyota. 25 bucks.... less than a pack of smokes these days. almost half that went into the stupid same sex postal votes!!
bbbero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #15
Vormund

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbero View Post
Interesting article. Big picture, wouldn't of cost much to keep manufacturing going in our country, for a while anyway.

I'm not sure how many taxpayers there are in Aus, but calculating some rough figures, it would of cost each taxpayer no more than $25 per year for the 300million gov funding to keep Holden and Toyota. 25 bucks.... less than a pack of smokes these days. almost half that went into the stupid same sex postal votes!!
What's also interesting in that article is that we would have got the ZB Commodore built here but it required a "significant overhaul" Maybe they wanted to convert it to RWD?
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
And that is EXACTLY why when Ford announced their closure, Holden was ALWAYS going to follow. Ford couldn't justify a unique for Australia model unless it had competition from GM. And Holden couldn't justify a unique for Australia model unless it had competition from Ford.

When Ford announced in 2013 that they are closing people used to rubbish me saying that Ford makes **** cars so that is why they closed and Holden's future was safe. I told them Ford's closure GUARANTEES Holden's closure and Toyota will not want to be left alone supporting the industry.

The local auto industry died on 23rd May 2013.
Agreed, but if memory serves me correct, the Federal Government offered money to keep Ford manufacturing in Australia, Ford declined the offer, whereas When Holden and Toyota asked the question the tune had changed and they were told the deal was off, I think this was after the election that saw Abbott occupy the top job. I'd say if Ford had of stuck by local manufacturing at the time and accepted the deal on offer, The incoming Liberal Federal Government would have been more inclined to maintain support and Holden and Toyota would have continued.

Having said all that, Aussie's didn't find local cars trendy anymore, so if you cant sell the required numbers, why build them.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #17
burnz
VFII SS UTE

someone I know
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GMH.jpg (80.4 KB, 94 views)
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 06:01 PM   #18
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2016?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 06:10 PM   #19
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
2016?
yep he retired last year, I was looking at the holden logo...

yet mine doesn't have this plate at all..
Old 18-10-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Is this the VIN of the last car? So being a ex employee a Reserve?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #21
burnz
VFII SS UTE

mine has the vin on the windscreen.
holden normally have two plates under bonnet,
1/ vin, trans, diff, engine.
2/ body, seat capacity, paint code, luxury level.. (I don't have this one)
Old 18-10-2017, 06:47 PM   #22
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Is this the VIN of the last car? So being a ex employee a Reserve?
sorry pep didn't see your post.. going blind.

as far as know their custom plates for employees as per old/current holden lion logo.
Old 18-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #23
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbero View Post

My business (taxis) is going bad too. Can I have 50c off every taxpayer to keep it going. Thanks, you know it makes sense.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #24
Sprint XR8

Last Holden Ute, Caprice and Wagon.

Old 18-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #25
RHR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a fan of the brand as such but man its bloody terrible that its the end
BA 5.4L Fairmont goone
LW MKII Focus ST gone

Y62 Series 5 Patrol TI
FG MKII XR6T
FGX XR8
RHR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #26
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Sad to see. I spent many a day at the Elizabeth plant and new the place well.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 18-10-2017, 09:27 PM   #27
Sprint XR8

Old 18-10-2017, 09:41 PM   #28
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ Last badge going on.

Sad - so that's it then, she's done.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2017, 09:51 PM   #29
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
^ Last badge going on.

Sad - so that's it then, she's done.
But it is only Wednesday. What will they do for the next two days?

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 18-10-2017, 10:05 PM   #30
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
But it is only Wednesday. What will they do for the next two days?
guessing there will be tears and some trying to bring some kind of closure