Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2017, 09:56 PM   #31
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: GM Detroit to Holden "No more Excuses"

GM can push all they like. Holden is on borrowed time here in AU and so is FoA for that matter. Both brands are fast becoming irrelevant here in Australia in terms of passenger vehicles.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #32
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it wasnt for the Mustang and Ranger, Ford wouldnt exist in Australia.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 PM   #33
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Same goes for Holden.
Where do I start?
marty351 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You do realise there are over 60 brands here and most sell far less cars than Ford, even without ranger and mustang.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #35
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
You do realise there are over 60 brands here and most sell far less cars than Ford, even without ranger and mustang.
True. But most of those brands don't have as large a dealer network in Australia as Ford nor did they once own nearly 30% of all new car sales (1980s Falcon, Telstra and Laser).

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #36
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
True. But most of those brands don't have as large a dealer network in Australia as Ford nor did they once own nearly 30% of all new car sales (1980s Falcon, Telstra and Laser).
Maybe because they weren’t here ?

In the 80’s there were huge Tarrifs on imports.

The many other brands are here now, and many sell on price with tiny margins (plus tarriffs have disappeared).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #37
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
But they do, so your point is void!
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 03:24 PM   #38
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
But they do, so your point is void!
They do..
For now. But its only a matter of ( short ) time before ford are distributed by Hyundai or KIA as a minor brand. Just like you see Jeep and Suzuki “outlets” in GM and Ford dealerships tucked away in some corner.

KIA will have a small space for Transit Vans , Ranger and Mustang sales in a corner somewhere. Ford dealers will sell up their blocks to make way for townhouses and make some real money. Lols.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #39
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
They do..
For now. But its only a matter of ( short ) time before ford are distributed by Hyundai or KIA as a minor brand. Just like you see Jeep and Suzuki “outlets” in GM and Ford dealerships tucked away in some corner.

KIA will have a small space for Transit Vans , Ranger and Mustang sales in a corner somewhere. Ford dealers will sell up their blocks to make way for townhouses and make some real money. Lols.
That's not Fords fault, lots of Dealerships are doing it, most dealers aren't family owned businesses anymore so groups like Stillwell own multiple brands, and as a cost cutting measure, it makes sense to combine them into multi brand outlets, especially when no single brand has market dominance in multiple sectors anymore.
If I was a DP i'd rather my prospective customer choose between my Swift or Rio as opposed to looking at my Swift and then going down the road to look at my competitions Rio.
I doubt we'll ever see Ford and GM/Holden share the same floor space and that's all that really matters.
Old 09-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #40
stig_3754

Quote:
If my auntie had gonads she'd be my uncle, but she doesn't.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #41
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden needed to follow in FOA's footsteps faster. Ford have been re-branding for years, moving away from the Falcon Car Co image with some 'fans' whinging about Ford not marketing the Falcon but it was for a reason.

By contrast, after Holden announced their shutdown, they started a 'Holden Australia' campaign which didn't last long, kept marketing the Commodore and are keeping the nameplate and staying in the (shrinking) large car segment. Apart from fleet sales, I just can't see anyone buying the ZB Commie and Holden a well behind the eight ball with their re-branding.

The only thing GM have not done is provide a factory RHD Camaro, other than that Holden have got a decent fleet of GM vehicles to chose from so in my view, it's Holden who haven't got it right due to their late start on re-branding hence GM putting the hard word on them.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #42
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Ford may have flailed a bit during the last decade but they've taken everyone to school with their post-Falcon strategy. The highest selling vehicle in the country right now is a Ford, let that sink in. Go back 5-10 years and try convincing anyone that this was possible, you would have been laughed off this forum.

With Mustang and Ranger, I think the Ford brand is more relevant today than it has been in a very long time. Holden on the other hand is completely stuffed. They had no strategy and they have no brand. Ford will do okay as the Ranger company for the next few years, while Holden is still beating a dead horse which is heavy sedans in a country that has largely moved on.

Kudos to Ford, I think they surprised a lot of us.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 08:37 PM   #43
Sprint XR8

Camaro ‘Has To Wear A Chevrolet Badge’ Says Holden

Holden’s lion emblem looks set to be joined in Australian showrooms by the Chevrolet bowtie and other General Motors badges as the brand continues to evolve.

Speaking with Drive in Detroit this week, Holden director of communications Sean Poppitt said Holden’s future product portfolio could expand beyond Holden-badged products.

Poppitt says the emotional turmoil of the brand’s factory closure is affecting many Australians, but believes the closure and transition as an import-only brand are pivotal steps.

“Obviously, the manufacturing has been intrinsic to what Holden has been for a long time,” he says. “But we’ve got one of the best pound-for-pound product portfolios we’ve ever had, there’s no doubt about that and there’s more to come.”

Holden’s portfolio will become an import-only lineup after the closure of its South Australian factory in October. The range will largely consist of rebadged Chevrolet and Opel models, but it appears there is the potential to see badges from the likes of Chevrolet stay on some vehicles, particularly niche models such as sports cars.

“I think there’s an opportunity with the mysterious sports car that we’ve talked about and some of our competitors have been able to move a bit more quickly in that space, but we’ve got some really good things coming that will really get people fired up,” Poppitt says.

The mysterious sports is the upcoming Camaro which, while not available on a global platform until the next-generation arrives, will reportedly hit Holden Special Vehicles showrooms next year as a more expensive imported conversion until Holden can directly source the vehicle in right-hand-drive from the factory.

HSV spokesman Damon Paull told Drive “I have read reports about the Camaro coming but we have no comment”.

Poppitt says the Camaro is “certainly a massively exciting product and we’d definitely love to see it on the roads”.
“But I can’t talk about what or when that might be,” he says.

Asked if the Camaro should wear a Holden, HSV or Chevrolet badge, Poppitt said the car shouldn’t wear the iconic Lion badge: “I think it has to wear a Chevrolet badge, it absolutely does. It’s intrinsic to its DNA and to what it stood for, for decades in the US, and globally,” he said.

“So, should something like that come to pass, I think you’ve got an opportunity for GM to have a more portfolio strategy in Australia like they do in the US. Like we’re seeing the urban mobility stuff, (such as) Maven and we’re bringing OnStar,” he added.

Poppitt also suggested adding GM brands to Australia would be a positive strategic move and an exciting opportunity for Holden.

“We’ve got the core business of cars, SUVs and trucks with Holden and then you know, if there were any other brands to come in then you will all of a sudden have a more strategic portfolio closer aligned to what might be in the US. “

“It’s certainly exciting opportunities for us.”

Although Holden will not discuss its future product plans, the introduction of a US-focused portfolio strategy would support information given to Drive that market research groups have been gauging reaction to the Chevrolet brand in Australia.
http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/c...=homePageNews3
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2017, 10:15 PM   #44
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Personally I think it makes sense to leave the Bowtie in place, the Holden name and emblem were to promote the locally assembled product when Australia began to manufacture its own GM product and needed it's own identity to enstill a sense of pride in post war times, now that Holden will become an importer it makes sense to maintain the particular vehicles own heritage, they aren't Holden's in the true sense anymore so why pretend.

And for all the lol's we get out of Commodores with Bowtie's, it sort of indicates that the faithful would be more than happy to drive something with links to the Chevrolet product.

Whilst I don't see a problem in maintaining the Commodore name for its passenger sedan's as that's what they've been known as for 40yrs, they should drop the Holden name altogether and just sell everything under the GM name.

My2c.
Old 10-10-2017, 12:04 AM   #45
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I guess you can say what you want when you're GM, but the reality is they're still largely the same pack of imbeciles pushing that classic pre-chapter 11 GM mentality. They've been ramming unashamedly price-point stuff like Barinas, Cruzes, Malibus, Captivas etc down Holden's throat for years. Then when it came time to exit Australian manufacturing they outsourced their strategy to the cast of Sesame Street. Now they're all sitting around a conference room with the Seinfeld theme playing softly, wondering why the Holden brand is in such deep trouble.

Remember in 2014 when GM appointed the ex-boss of VW India to run Holden, who promptly claimed they'd outsell Toyota by 2020, before resigning 6 months later (to presumably focus on finishing kindergarten)? GM's policy in action: only hire the best. Or when they made a song and dance about Holden's relationship with Opel for the new Commodore flagship, shortly before selling Opel. It may have made sense to sell Opel, but long term it was also a great opportunity to troll Holden and we all know that's GM's favourite thing to do between bankruptcies.
Great post and lovely use of language. I have to add the bit where GM sponsored one of the big Euro soccer teams for Chev,then completely pulled out of retailing in that continent. Or when they took their massive lead in electric cars, and crushed it. It's a tragicomedy.

Or that recent GMH chief from Germany, telling Australians that we must be educated in FWD as the Commodore finishes up. The public went and bought a RWD C Series or BMW.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #46
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bent 8 "Either way, they're still fragile ****boxes with the occasional success story"
My 2016 Series 3 Captiva LTZ diesel has done 34,400kms in 16 months. 14k/kms has been towing a 1.9 tonne caravan. Hasn't missed a beat. That's fragile ?
My other Korean XXXxbox Hyundai i20 is now 3 years old. Apart from regular servicing, hasn't missed a beat...cannt compare latest Korean cars with the earlier ones....
Not sure if that's meant to be impressive??

A falcon is only barely run in after 34,000km towing 2T. You can expect to do that for the next 750,000km before any major work is needed.

I'll eat my words if you post back here that you've clocked 300,000km in the Captiva with regular towing of the van, till then I'll agree with BENT_8's fragile remark.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #47
Vormund

GM are probably testing the waters for wiping out the Holden brand.

They could just have "GM" dealerships and just sell everything under it's original badging.
Vormund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 PM   #48
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vormund View Post
GM are probably testing the waters for wiping out the Holden brand.

They could just have "GM" dealerships and just sell everything under it's original badging.
Your 100% correct, even Holdens office has lots of GMA references and limited number of GM-H. It is expected by 2021 all dealers will have the same GM sign as the US and little if nothing to say Holden.
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #49
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford, just like the other two don't have to support their local manufacturing facilities anymore. As an importer you don't have to worry about amortising your costs over a models run, project your sales and thus plan production, supplier orders etc... While importing isn't as simple as send off the order to your OS division and wait for the boat to turn up, its a completely different business model for the local three now. They don't need as great a volume of individual models (locally produced) to justify selling here to the same extent. Getting stock in a timely manner after world release will be an issue but if BMW, MB, Audi and VW plus the others can do it why can't Ford etc.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 04:24 PM   #50
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Anyone willing to take a punt on the monthly sales figures of the new Commodore/Insignia?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #51
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Anyone willing to take a punt on the monthly sales figures of the new Commodore/Insignia?
Slightly less than the other bread and butter type 4cyl FWD medium size cars available.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 04:45 PM   #52
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
If my auntie had gonads she'd be my uncle, but she doesn't.
Strange you say that, my dad is also my uncle
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 05:38 PM   #53
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Fish are biting well tonight.

Daewoo owners nearly as defensive as Jeep owners
And Mustang owners - oops, I own one of those and it has been great so far.

Seems to me the perception is that Holdens are Korean Daewoo junk and therein lies the problem for GM(H).
Old 13-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #54
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Same as the Holden Malibu?

Almost no one even realises there is a Holden Malibu, and its better that way too.

I seriously hope this new "Commodore" is a total failure. This is coming from a Commodore owner who'd rather not see the name tarnished by FWD 'less-than-8-cylinder' blasphemy.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #55
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Seems to me the perception is that Holdens are Korean Daewoo junk and therein lies the problem for GM(H).
What do you mean perception? That is fact.
Old 13-10-2017, 08:15 PM   #56
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anything other than the Commodore actually sell for Holden?
None of their range interest me at all. And I'm not a diehard Ford fan, I just ended up buying one.

The Equinox might cause some interest, but all I see are Astra ads. I'd rather a Corolla.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #57
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Same as the Holden Malibu?

Almost no one even realises there is a Holden Malibu, and its better that way too.
To be fair, while Commodore is available, the other models will never sell in huge numbers.

With new Commodore, it won't be competing against old Commodore, but replacing it. I won't be surprised if there is an initial spike in sales and it could settle down to Camry type numbers.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 09:22 PM   #58
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
What do you mean perception? That is fact.
Two different issues. The Daewoo junk issue was debunked in earlier posts and perception is how the cars are thought of fact or not.
Old 13-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #59
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
Two different issues. The Daewoo junk issue was debunked in earlier posts and perception is how the cars are thought of fact or not.
Lol, hardly debunked, just because some random on the internetz says his is ok
Old 13-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #60
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That is to say, if it wasn't for foresight & planning, the local market would have collapsed post-Falcon production?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post