Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #31
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Should Ford Focus be renamed 'Ford Laser'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Leave Laser on a high note, let the name rest. Ford need to rebuild the Focus name and image, the currently Focus is an amazing car, but the public have zero idea on the new auto gearbox, specs, etc, Fords efforts are pathetic to say the least.
I think Focus is tarnished beyond recovery. As article states, it’s no longer the sharpest or boldest in its class. Laser has some equity, mostly
Positive dem what I’ve observed...
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #32
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
If it was such an awesome car then why do ford want to rename the brand?
They don't ....

Some click bait journo that no one has heard of is suggesting it.

Maybe read the article ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

How is changing the name from kuga to escape going?

Ford need to get people thinking ford for the small cars.

That means good reputation for reliability and service. They have neither at the moment in this country.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:46 PM   #34
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
How is changing the name from kuga to escape going?

Ford need to get people thinking ford for the small cars.

That means good reputation for reliability and service. They have neither at the moment in this country.
I don't think the Kuga to escape is a good example.. Kuga was never a damaged brand in Australia like Focus.

Anyway, whatever they do, sales will NOT just start to flow, it will take time (4-5+ years at a minimum) to turn it around. Ford has done a lot of damage to it's small car brand, sadly. People don't forget & hand over another 25K very quickly.
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #35
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Should Ford Focus be renamed 'Ford Laser'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
They don't ....

Some click bait journo that no one has heard of is suggesting it.

Maybe read the article ?
Bit salty? Click bait is misleading titles and fluff. Nothing I’ve ever written fits that description . I made a case for Focus being changed and explained why I thought it could be a good idea. I do this because I love cars and want to contribute to discussion in a good way.
Old 07-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #36
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

I reckon the Laser nameplate is too old school now but maybe think about organising a nationwide competition to rename the Focus for Oz & get the whole community involved.

May work, who knows lol!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #37
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Bit salty? Click bait is misleading titles and fluff. Nothing I’ve ever written fits that description . I made a case for Focus being changed and explained why I thought it could be a good idea. I do this because I love cars and want to contribute to discussion in a good way.
The way I interpreted it was a comment of the author who wrote the article, not you.

If I am wrong, then someone please correct me.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #38
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
The way I interpreted it was a comment of the author who wrote the article, not you.

If I am wrong, then someone please correct me.
I am the author
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 AM   #39
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Okay, then may I ask something?

It seems the Focus brand in Australia is damaged. Yet there is a lot of polarization regarding Laser.

Are you aware of any other brand that was restored to acceptance after losing the public's trust?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:57 AM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
It seems the Focus brand in Australia is damaged. Yet there is a lot of polarization regarding Laser.
Its not that the Laser name is polarising, but most people below 35 wont likely even remember what a Laser was, so what is the name change supposed to achieve? Anyone over 35 is likely to research their car purchase more thoroughly than seeing who endorses it on FB/Instagram, and it wont take long to find out the issues plaguing some of their cars, and how (poorly) they were addressed.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 01:09 AM   #41
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Its not that the Laser name is polarising, but most people below 35 wont likely even remember what a Laser was.
How many people under 35 buy brand new as their first car? Plenty in good working order on the used car market, one of the cheaper and safer bets for high km used cars. Plenty of young people would be acquainted with it and the C-segment is extremely diverse in terms of age demographic anyhow.

My brother in law just got a KH as his first car and loves it.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:34 AM   #42
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Its not that the Laser name is polarising, but most people below 35 wont likely even remember what a Laser was, so what is the name change supposed to achieve? Anyone over 35 is likely to research their car purchase more thoroughly than seeing who endorses it on FB/Instagram, and it wont take long to find out the issues plaguing some of their cars, and how (poorly) they were addressed.
I am only going by the comments I have read here. Some love it, some hate it. There is very little if any in between.

Ford needs to take this seriously and relying on "focus groups" (no pun intended) can not be the main driver here. Ford should have plenty of metrics now telling them what the problems are, from defective components, poor service, QC and at this point some need in advertising campaigns taking the improved car to the public with hands on driving and follow up interviews, and even torture tests and endurance runs.

From what I have been reading here FoA is at a cross roads. In this competitive climate Ford the mother ship better make the right turns if they expect to survive.

Really a shame about the dual clutch transmission. On paper it is a very good concept, yet has all the ear markings of something rushed to market too soon.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 08-10-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #43
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
How many people under 35 buy brand new as their first car? Plenty in good working order on the used car market, one of the cheaper and safer bets for high km used cars. Plenty of young people would be acquainted with it and the C-segment is extremely diverse in terms of age demographic anyhow.

I have seen both approaches work and both fail.

In every success, the key to the success was a change in the culture behind the car. Produce a good product, with good looks and road worthiness. Then get it in front of the public to drive and experience a product giving them a sense of confidence and enjoyment. Film it and put it on TV and magazine/internet advertisements.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:47 AM   #44
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
http://www.top10cars.com.au/editoria...ck-ford-laser/

Obvious question. Didn't work for the Nissan Pulsar, but that was a coma-inducing box of blandness. The whole Powershift debacle is wreaking havoc on Focus sales, so maybe the next-gen should be called Laser? What do you reckon?
So what you mean to say is "I've set up my own website and I'd like you all to come and look at it."

Not a bad effort, I sincerely hope it works out for you, but to be honest there's so many sites, blogs, etc, etc, that you're going to struggle to stand out from the crowd.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 AM   #45
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How many people under 35 buy brand new as their first car? Plenty in good working order on the used car market
Plenty of Magnas too. Would you buy a new one?
Old 08-10-2017, 03:20 AM   #46
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
So what you mean to say is "I've set up my own website and I'd like you all to come and look at it."

Not a bad effort, I sincerely hope it works out for you, but to be honest there's so many sites, blogs, etc, etc, that you're going to struggle to stand out from the crowd.

If I wanted to say: "I've set up my own website and I'd like you all to come and look at it." this is the link I would’ve pasted : http://www.top10cars.com.au

As for our chances, well I’ve been doing this for a few years, I’m just happy I get to write about cars.

I know the market pretty well and found a few niches and can make popular, unique content.

As you can see, I’m a long time AFF member, so I wouldn’t share anything unless relevant or I feel it would be enjoyed. The negative publicity surrounding Focus and Powershift gave me an idea so here we are...

I’m not coming on here pretending to be John Cadogan or Jeremy Clarkson so relax
Old 08-10-2017, 03:21 AM   #47
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plenty of Magnas too. Would you buy a new one?
Not as reliable though are they
Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 AM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So what you're saying is people are stupid enough to assume a car made 15 years+ ago is an accurate reflection on the quality of the car made now? Lets wait and see how many Commodores sell next year..... I'm guessing it will be a fraction of this years figure.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 AM   #49
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So what you're saying is people are stupid enough to assume a car made 15 years+ ago is an accurate reflection on the quality of the car made now? Lets wait and see how many Commodores sell next year..... I'm guessing it will be a fraction of this years figure.
Perception lags for decades in the automotive industry. As for assuming the stupidity of people, look at some of the yahoos we voted into Parliament House ;)
Old 08-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #50
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Maybe they should just do like Mustang and not put a Ford badge anywhere near the car....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #51
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Laser won't work, it will not impact anyone born in the 90s onwards. Focus needs to stay, Ford cannot afford to rebuild a new name. Totally of topic, Mondeo needs to change to Fusion asap. It is such an underrated car and we need to set it up to go against Opal Commodore.

Supercars Commodore vs Fusion has a nice ring to it. Mondeo doesn't.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #52
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t View Post
Laser won't work, it will not impact anyone born in the 90s onwards. Focus needs to stay, Ford cannot afford to rebuild a new name. Totally of topic, Mondeo needs to change to Fusion asap. It is such an underrated car and we need to set it up to go against Opal Commodore.

Supercars Commodore vs Fusion has a nice ring to it. Mondeo doesn't.
Some day, I hope the CEO grows a set and takes a chance on the EB v6 Fusion Sport,
passing on that for the reasons he stated was just terrible IMO. If you want to be safe
and take no risks, then go work in a library.

Since Jan 2016, Aussie fans have purchased over 13,000 Mustangs and counting, something
Ford didn't expect mostly because they took too much credence of angry falcon supporters.

Time for Ford to stop worrying about those who won't buy anything new and start
focusing on those that will.
Old 08-10-2017, 02:44 PM   #53
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Falcon name was damaged in the end due to BA/BF problems.
People gave up on them due to brake and transmission faults amongst other reasons.
Can see how people won’t go near anything called a Focue ever again after auto faults.
Strange that it is still UK’s top selling car, but Aussies aren’t that interested.
I’d be getting a container of Fusion badges from the US and renaming the Focus out here if I was Ford.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #54
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Some day, I hope the CEO grows a set and takes a chance on the EB v6 Fusion Sport,
passing on that for the reasons he stated was just terrible IMO. If you want to be safe
and take no risks, then go work in a library.

To be fair, I think the Fusion Sport is something of a half-baked effort. Far too heavy to be a true performance sedan. Also, the logistics of getting it from a LHD-only factory when the European factory supplies Mondeo would prob be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar
Falcon name was damaged in the end due to BA/BF problems.
People gave up on them due to brake and transmission faults amongst other reasons.
Can see how people won’t go near anything called a Focue ever again after auto faults.
Strange that it is still UK’s top selling car, but Aussies aren’t that interested.
I’d be getting a container of Fusion badges from the US and renaming the Focus out here if I was Ford.
I think the European versions are more reliable than the Thai ones. Maybe they implemented the fixes sooner than the Thai versions. Makes you wonder though - Fiesta has been UK best seller for years - with Powershift and if it was plagued with anything near the amount of problems ours were, irs unimaginable it could stay their best seller for long...
Old 08-10-2017, 04:51 PM   #55
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
To be fair, I think the Fusion Sport is something of a half-baked effort. Far too heavy to be a true performance sedan. Also, the logistics of getting it from a LHD-only factory when the European factory supplies Mondeo would prob be too difficult.
From what I gather. Ford Australia was offered it in RHD and they declined...

The latest Focus has not used DCT Powershift for around two years, the 1.5 EB uses a 6F auto trans.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-10-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #56
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

I bought a new WS Fiesta as my first car nearly a year before I got my license

Focus has been around since something like 1999 in Europe and 2004 here, Focus name is fine but Ford significantly tarnished its name with that dodgy DSG piece of crap.

Mind you I won't ever buy a small Ford that comes out of their crappy Thai plant, the WS come out of Germany, WT come out of Thailand and it was all cheap and crappily built in comparison to the WS, they cut more corners it seems out of that plant, it lost the soft touch dash and had odd sized 185 tyres.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We had C170 Focus here in early 2000, they weren't too bad, more leg room than today's version.
Ford Aus doesn't realise how much value soft touch feely materials add, they prefer the cheapness
of Asian tupperware in their Thai sourced products.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #58
Chopped
as in chopped

I hear the Cruze badge is up for grabs
Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 PM   #59
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay,

It won't matter what it is called the brands name is mud. After the power shift debacle and the aborrent way people were treated it's not going to chnage anytime soon despite how much estapol you pour on it.

The only way out is a good product, price, features and after sales service. Get that and things will pickup over 10 years.

That's gonna cost but some decent marketing and specials on a good car will slowly start to chnage ot
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2017, 12:34 AM   #60
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
Okay,

It won't matter what it is called the brands name is mud. After the power shift debacle and the aborrent way people were treated it's not going to chnage anytime soon despite how much estapol you pour on it.

The only way out is a good product, price, features and after sales service. Get that and things will pickup over 10 years.

That's gonna cost but some decent marketing and specials on a good car will slowly start to chnage ot
The first Focus came from a Much more adventurous brand- not the watered-down, risk-averse, corner cutting entity it has become today. Unless ford gets some new design language or reinvigorated with some vision, the focus will probably continue to slide downhill IMO.