Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #31
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Driver aids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Considering the OP mentioned active and passive safety systems, I'd rather have them than not. To blame poor driving standards on technology is a stretch is what I'm saying.

Not talking about driverless cars.
So! just pointing out where it's all heading, blind bloody freddy can see that.....!
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 AM   #32
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Considering the OP mentioned active and passive safety systems, I'd rather have them than not. To blame poor driving standards on technology is a stretch is what I'm saying.

Not talking about driverless cars.
We are a very long way from driver-less car if folks and the industry are going to be honest with themselves.

No, I am talking about "simple" things at this point, that is driver aides.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2017, 07:44 AM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
So! just pointing out where it's all heading, blind bloody freddy can see that.....!
I doubt it will be any more than the odd marketing exercise for the next decade at least.

As mentioned, prototypes are one thing but still lots of issues to sort out.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 AM   #34
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The lane departure ad on tv at the moment (Hyundai?) shows just how stupid these things can be. There's so much noise and panic that it's just another noise.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #35
SensationFG8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is why none of my cars have these gimicks and why I'll be holding onto what I have for a very long time...
Sensation FG XR8 290kW NA V8, 6spd Automatic

Current Rides
Octane GTF SC V8, 6spd Manual, Manta 3" X pipes and hotdogs
Starlight Lotus Evora S 258kW SC V6, 6spd Manual
SensationFG8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2017, 08:25 AM   #36
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
We are a very long way from driver-less car if folks and the industry are going to be honest with themselves.

No, I am talking about "simple" things at this point, that is driver aides.
But that's what i'm getting at, all these driver aides will be part of the overall driver-less package once they nut them out individually, that's why i agree with you re the end users been the final testers, it makes economical and timeline sense to do so, these "simple" things need to be nutted out over time in real world situations, and when the engineers/designers/regulatory bodies are satisfied that they have reached an acceptable safety level, then you can expect more of the like until they arrive at the whole package....

The vast majority of the aides in today's vehicles are just individual parts of a future bigger picture
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-10-2017, 08:29 AM   #37
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
But that's what i'm getting at, all these driver aides will be part of the overall driver-less package once they nut them out individually, that's why i agree with you re the end users been the final testers, it makes economical and timeline sense to do so, these "simple" things need to be nutted out over time in real world situations, and when the engineers/designers/regulatory bodies are satisfied that they have reached an acceptable safety level, then you can expect more of the like until they arrive at the whole package....

The vast majority of the aides in today's vehicles are individual parts of a future bigger picture
I understood that, hoping the poster would see just how far we have to go, because I agree, driver-less cars is the proverbial end game here.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #38
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
The lane departure ad on tv at the moment (Hyundai?) shows just how stupid these things can be. There's so much noise and panic that it's just another noise.
We go through these learning exercises from time to time where someone figures out how to make some new blinking, buzzing, beeping shiny things. The big wigs are amazed and approve a mandate to implement as soon as possible without thought of how to do it safely, surely and correctly. Just deliver it be a certain date.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:29 PM   #39
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have even had ABS give me pains a few times!

Once coming down a wet dirt track, it became quite greasy at about 80kmh after a corner then there was a big tree fallen down accross the road in front of me. BRAKE, hmm, not slowing down much at all, heading straight for the tree. I had to pull the handbrake (LUCKILY NOT AN ELECTRONIC ONE!!), and pull it completely sideways in a skid for about 15 metres and pulled up within about a half a metre.

Another time, driving a hire car camry. I have taken it for a spirited drive (as spirited as a camry can perform anyway) through the Adelaide hills. And when you use the brakes a few times heavily, the next time you use the brakes the ABS does not work and the car locks up. Yes the when the brakes get too hot the ABS turns off. And what if I needed it?

Last edited by EDManual; 12-10-2017 at 10:30 PM. Reason: spelling
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2017, 10:50 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
I have even had ABS give me pains a few times!

Once coming down a wet dirt track, it became quite greasy at about 80kmh after a corner then there was a big tree fallen down accross the road in front of me. BRAKE, hmm, not slowing down much at all, heading straight for the tree. I had to pull the handbrake (LUCKILY NOT AN ELECTRONIC ONE!!), and pull it completely sideways in a skid for about 15 metres and pulled up within about a half a metre.

Another time, driving a hire car camry. I have taken it for a spirited drive (as spirited as a camry can perform anyway) through the Adelaide hills. And when you use the brakes a few times heavily, the next time you use the brakes the ABS does not work and the car locks up. Yes the when the brakes get too hot the ABS turns off. And what if I needed it?
Not meaning to be rude but it sounds like the problem in both these instances was between the steering wheel and the seat.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #41
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Road trauma could be “significantly reduced” by widespread adoption of the latest active safety and connected features.

COULD!

Unless the definition of the word could has changed since I read the dictionary last, i'd say the jury is out.
Ok no worries. But id prefer to believe people who have done a study rather than a bloke who did science in year 10, waving around a dictionary, arguing about semantics. Even if they use the word "could".

We'll agree to disagree.
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 10:47 PM   #42
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensationFG8 View Post
This is why none of my cars have these gimicks and why I'll be holding onto what I have for a very long time...
And thats fine - theres nothing wrong with that.
Theres probably a ton of guys on here that think the same thing.

But you know what - you are probably the same guys that Ford Australia have been listening to in their focus groups. So they probably never put these aid in their cars - or it wasn't a priority to do so. But as the world got on and other manufacturers put these driver aids in their cars as a unique selling features. Ford Australia didnt - because they were doing the right thing and listening to their Target audience who never wanted them.....or a crated V6, etc etc.

And guess what? The world moved on and the Ford Falcon?
Well, it lingered with old technology (albeit still good), but dated compared to the competition, people stopped buying them and now its gone.

Keep your Falcons, thats great. But don't rubbish technology that is potentially life saving..
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 10:51 PM   #43
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not meaning to be rude but it sounds like the problem in both these instances was between the steering wheel and the seat.
Oh really.... Just giving examples of what can go wrong. And no I didn't need abs to save me in the Camry.

On the dirt if there was no abs, the car would have locked up and stopped no problems what so ever.

Let's see how good you are when a surprise tree blocks your path on a greasy track smart guy. Straight into it you'll go im sure with your fancy electronic gadgets....
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #44
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Oh really.... Just giving examples of what can go wrong. And no I didn't need abs to save me in the Camry.

On the dirt if there was no abs, the car would have locked up and stopped no problems what so ever.

Let's see how good you are when a surprise tree blocks your path on a greasy track smart guy. Straight into it you'll go im sure with your fancy electronic gadgets....

I will take my chances with ABS which will give you some control of the vehicle, locking up a vehicle by applying the brakes you lose complete control.

Have experienced both scenarios, ABS any day for me.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 12:09 AM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Perhaps just drive to the conditions. Also, public roads are not race tracks.

I have never been in a situation where I've had to brake so hard the electronics kick in.
Old 14-10-2017, 12:17 AM   #46
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well ABS and EBD saved me from putting my car in the boot of the car in front of me the other day. Just a slight moment of inattention, wet roads, and got my car on the paint is all it took.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #47
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

G'day .There are driver aids and driver aids..Most if not all make sense and are purely for letting more people who as human beings do make mistakes and error of judgements on the odd occasion . Every one of us has made mistakes or got lazy or inattentive here and there.
The only one that irritates me is Park assist . Bloody heck , if you can't park a car without using stuff like that how did the person get their licence in the first place or are keeping it as an old driver . Such a basic thing you need to do . Not even a time saver because going by the vids I've seen demonstrating it , it's pretty slow compared to the unassisted way mere mortals do it . Cheers Rod.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 11:47 AM   #48
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wearing a hat is the best driver aid ever invented.

I have to say I love the reversing beeper thing it sure beats looking for reflections in shop windows when it gets down to inches.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 06:59 PM   #49
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day .There are driver aids and driver aids..Most if not all make sense and are purely for letting more people who as human beings do make mistakes and error of judgements on the odd occasion . Every one of us has made mistakes or got lazy or inattentive here and there.
The only one that irritates me is Park assist . Bloody heck , if you can't park a car without using stuff like that how did the person get their licence in the first place or are keeping it as an old driver . Such a basic thing you need to do . Not even a time saver because going by the vids I've seen demonstrating it , it's pretty slow compared to the unassisted way mere mortals do it . Cheers Rod.
Mate I've come across many of good drivers who just can't parallel park a car if their life depends on it, I think park assist has a place with modern vehicles. :-P
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #50
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
just can't parallel park a car if their life depends on it,
Yep, I've got to put my hand up here, I hate parallel parking my car.

But I can do it with a Semi if that counts for anything
Old 14-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #51
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Mate I've come across many of good drivers who just can't parallel park a car if their life depends on it, I think park assist has a place with modern vehicles. :-P
I agree with Rod. If you can't park a car, your showing an understanding of spacial awareness. I'm sorry, but without a solid awareness of your own cars size and its place amongst other road users, then you have no right to drive. When you add speed, weather and peak hour, its a recipe for disaster and that's not including the frightening amount of drivers who think a telephone conversation is a normal part of driving a car....
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post