Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2017, 07:41 PM   #61
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Default Re: Final Commodores for 2017

The Director

The Magnum

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #62
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Agreed. I'd go either Red Hot or Spitfire Green for the limited edition if I were going to. It goes better with the black.

I'd imagine most of these are sold though so you may have to compromise on colour choice if you're lucky and want one.
The dealers have been allocated numbers for the limited edition models based on their past sales history for the standard Redlines and they have and are taking orders on a first come first served basis.

There are 1200 Motorsports, 360 Directors and 240 Magnums being made.

As they are not yet in production you can still choose the colours.

Old 20-01-2017, 12:12 AM   #63
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would honestly be embarrassed to drive a car with "DIRECTOR" in big letters on the back so typical of commie drivers though. Was working near a holden dealership recently and noticed a couple parking spots with "HSV owner parking only" signs on them. Had to laugh. So pretentious. So Holden.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 01:01 AM   #64
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You know what?

I think the efforts with the sprints is a far better effort than this rubbish from holden.

Well done ford, you went further and harder with less than this trio of tripe.

Big holden want marketing again.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #65
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
I would honestly be embarrassed to drive a car with "DIRECTOR" in big letters on the back so typical of commie drivers though. Was working near a holden dealership recently and noticed a couple parking spots with "HSV owner parking only" signs on them. Had to laugh. So pretentious. So Holden.
Like you with Ford Ai....
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 07:53 AM   #66
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Tbh I agree with eb2...... When the sprints came out I thought yep great job with the mechanicals but felt that ford missed the opportunity to make them stand out with some real "hero colours" something different than the standard FGX range for example, so I was interested to see what holden would pull together and even put myself down for a director tbh... But seeing the above pics,,, really has let me down thinking it's just a sticker pack..
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 08:45 AM   #67
blk6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont View Post
You know what?

I think the efforts with the sprints is a far better effort than this rubbish from holden.

Well done ford, you went further and harder with less than this trio of tripe.

Big holden want marketing again.
I somewhat agree, but don't forget the Sprints were essentially FPV's under the skin. I think the main thing missing is the engine should have been upgraded to the E3 GTS 325kw specs. The suspension and brake setup could easily handle more power.
Old 20-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #68
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Lucky you didn't drive a Super Pursuit.

Old 20-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #69
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Lucky you didn't drive a Super Pursuit.

Super pursuit sounds a lot tougher than Director. Laughable.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #70
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

These are the FINAL Commodores? Pretty anticlimactic. You can see who the Holden fanboys are in this forum. At least Ford put some effort into the Sprints. This is really just a sticker pack.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #71
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be just me but the VF is starting to look very dated. These new limited editions remind me of the old VK-VL Vacationer.. Very soft!
Old 20-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #72
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
It looks better in Red with black trim

Agree...actually reminds me of HQ SS:

Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #73
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Well at least Dowling has finally declared his interest, stating he has owned 4 Commodore utes in his latest news.com.au article
Old 20-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #74
Sioso
irregular member

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...47602a377dbe80

HOLDEN has revived a pair of iconic nameplates from its controversial past to mark the end of the line for the homegrown Commodore.

The Director luxury sedan and Magnum ute names were coined by the late racing legend Peter Brock in the lead-up to his ugly split with Holden in the 1980s.

The use of the names has the blessings of the Brock family, says Holden, as the cars would be a fitting tribute to him.

The Motorsport edition — based on the SS Redline sedan — was supposed to be called Bathurst, according to Holden insiders, as another nod to Brocky, who notched up nine wins on Australian motorsport’s sacred site.

Even the code on the build plate starts with “KOM”, for King of the Mountain.

However, the marketing types at the new-age conservative Holden, trying to remodel itself in a European glow as it prepares to switch solely to imported cars from the end of this year, deemed Bathurst too blokey.
This car was supposed to be called the “Bathurst” edition. But some genius thought that was too blokey. Picture: Supplied.

This car was supposed to be called the “Bathurst” edition. But some genius thought that was too blokey. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied

Holden fans ought not to hyperventilate for too long. These three limited editions — the final high point for the homegrown Commodore badge — are all but sold out.

Dealers have received their allocation numbers for the balance of the year and most cars already have customer names against them, say Holden insiders.

Holden will keep selling its regular V8 range. For the limited editions there are just 240 Magnums, 360 Directors, and 1200 Motorsport models.

While most of these limited editions are spoken for, Holden has also increased the price of the regular Commodore SS by $2500 — and banned employee discounts on V8s.

This has seen dealers panic buying near-new, ex-Holden company cars at internal auctions open only to dealers.

At the most recent auction, many V8s sold for the RRPs — rather than with a $5000 discount — and at least one top-of-the-range model went under the hammer above its $53,990 price, and went for $60,000.

In the meantime, the hype is around these three limited edition models.

Holden didn’t have the budget to make any styling changes, sadly, and went to the paint shop instead. There are flashes of red or black where there was once chrome or another colour.

The budget also didn’t cover a new set of badges (with the exception of the letters to spell Director across the bootlid) so the special editions also have unique stickers.

For those who plan to store their cars as collector items and not register them, there is a special code for ordering your limited edition — NOPD, or no pre-delivery — so it gets delivered with manufacturing and consignment stickers still on the windows, and plastic covers on the seats.

It is unclear how many of these cars won’t be driven but there’s a decent incentive to take them out of the wrapper.
There will be no more Commodore V8s once the locally-made model goes out of production in October 2017. Picture: Supplied.

There will be no more Commodore V8s once the locally-made model goes out of production in October 2017. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied

There’s no more power from the Corvette-sourced LS3 6.2-litre V8 but there are plenty of other go-fast goodies under the skin, foraged from the GM performance catalogue.

The cross-drilled front brake discs and aluminium centres (the Brembo calipers carry over) came from Opel in Germany and the rear discs were modified to match.

The extra oil coolers for the engine and transmission were developed for the Chevrolet SS and US police cars, the latter also the donor of the Motorsport edition’s rear suspension bushes.

All the cars sit on lower “FE3” suspension, but only the Director and Motorsport gain adjustable Magnetic Ride Control suspension, adapted from the Chevrolet SS and linked to bimodal exhaust, throttle response and steering — from ‘Touring’, ‘Sport’, to ‘Performance’.

These multiple personalities can be chosen via a dial in the centre console, as in HSV cars.

The magnetically controlled suspension couldn’t be adapted to the ute for reasons of space. With ‘regular’ FE3 suspension borrowed from the sedan, the ute’s payload is trimmed from 620kg to 540kg.

To keep the bosses happy, Holden conducted a 24-hour torture test of the upgrades at its proving ground near Detroit. A sedan with all the modifications was run at race pace around the clock to make sure nothing broke.

Several sets of tyres, a couple of brake pad changes and dozens of tanks of fuel later, the car was given the green light for production. These Commodores are among the few cars in the General Motors world to be track rated. The others are certain editions of the Camaro and Corvette.

This extra durability is presumably why Holden felt confident in letting a handful of media behind the wheel of its limited editions at one of Australia’s fastest race tracks, Phillip Island.

The warnings were sterner than usual. This is the only chance we would get to drive these cars; there would be no road tests later. All cars are sold.

And with that we start to do hot laps in what Holden calls “the most capable Commodore ever”.
Just 240 Holden Commodore Magnum utes will be built. Picture: Supplied.

Just 240 Holden Commodore Magnum utes will be built. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied

First up, I’m in the ute. Full disclosure: I’ve owned four of them (I did my bit to save the industry).

It fits like a glove. But the styling changes are too bogan, even for me. All is quickly forgiven once the LS3 is off the leash, snorting loudly through the plastic pipe that pumps induction noise directly into the cabin.

I’m quickly reminded of the phenomenal grip from these Bridgestone tyres (the rear pair wider than the front), and how forgiving the brakes are when punished.

Next is the Director (automatic only). It too benefits from lowered, retuned suspension. The shorter wheelbase of the sedan versus the ute and the better weight balance makes handling the circuit an easier task.

The paddle-shifters on the wheel help but can only do so much when it’s time to change gears up or down.
The final Holden Commodore V8s have been track rated by General Motors. Picture: Supplied.

The final Holden Commodore V8s have been track rated by General Motors. Picture: Supplied.Source:Supplied

Time for a manual. This is more like it. The Motorsport edition was built for this track, sitting flat in the long sweeping corners as the suspension sensors measure the car’s movements 1000 times per second.

I strive to feel the rear bushes controlling the car better but, to be frank, the only time I could genuinely feel the difference was under extremely hard braking from high speed. The tail didn’t wag in the air as much.

What’s most intoxicating is the sound. You could easily kid yourself thinking you’re behind the wheel of a V8 Supercar.

It sounds even better outside the car, the roar from the quad pipes bouncing off the concrete wall of the pits as each car passes at more than 200km/h.

Which brings me to the optional extra Holden hadn’t factored in: mixed emotions.

The exhilaration of these cars is dampened by the reality that once they’re gone, that’s it forever for affordable V8 power in this country.

At least there’s a consolation. I reckon Peter Brock — the man who transformed the Commodore from family sedan to V8 legend — would have been proud of this legacy.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 03:11 PM   #75
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

I think they have done a wonderful job and I would love a Director. MRC would be great and it's a fitting end to a wonderful car. I think that with HSV still going it would be hard to offer anymore power without blurring the lines between the two. Ford had the advantage of FPV being shut and we never would have got the Sprint with that much power if FPV was still open.
Old 20-01-2017, 04:58 PM   #76
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Very underwhelming.

MRC suspension and oil coolers plus a bunch of crappy looking stickers and red painted parts, a look which went out 5 years ago isn't what I was expecting.

You'd think they could have used either the 325 or 340 kw spec that HSV stopped using.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 05:02 PM   #77
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

The director grille is just as fugly as FGX. DAMN.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 06:36 PM   #78
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Super pursuit sounds a lot tougher than Director. Laughable.
Same sh^t really.
Just like the stickers over the cars, poor taste for both makes.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:52 PM   #79
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does anyone here know what a sprint 6 or 8 will lap Phillip Island in ?
1min 57 isn't bad for a car that does shopping duties....
What about price?
anyone?
anyone?

Last edited by 383hq; 20-01-2017 at 08:12 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 09:18 PM   #80
mick74GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by P6LTD351 View Post
These are the FINAL Commodores? Pretty anticlimactic. You can see who the Holden fanboys are in this forum. At least Ford put some effort into the Sprints. This is really just a sticker pack.
Wait for the last HSVs that won't be anticlimactic
E3 Maloo Black Edition
VW Golf GTD - Wifes Weapon
mick74GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-01-2017, 09:23 PM   #81
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick74GT View Post
Wait for the last HSVs that won't be anticlimactic
I think that's the difference. FPV was wrapped up and they dropped a GT engine into the XR8, bloody best bang for buck.

It's not the same situation really because HSV is going as long as Holden is but still disappointing they didn't give it a little bit of hurry up despite the goodies.

Bloody hard to ask people to stump up nearly $70k without anymore power.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 20-01-2017 at 09:41 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 09:52 PM   #82
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...They're okay....Rather have a Sprint though any day..Just classy , not crass...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #83
Chopped
as in chopped

I suppose the problem for Holden is they need to protect HSV.
Ford didn't have to worry about protecting FPV as it was already dead. So they had the opportunity to use all of the FPV left overs to make two performance bargains. And that they did.

HSV gets the honours of sending the Commodore out with a bang.

Oh and that Director looks woeful, looks like a 15yo's bad photoshop attempt. Redwalls in 2017....lol
Old 20-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #84
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...They're okay....Rather have a Sprint though any day..Just classy , not crass. One of the real early Ford Falcon Longreach ute ads had two blokes talking about the new ute and he said "Don't look no different" but it was under the cosmetics...Exactly that from the earlier XR8's and XR6's but all the goodies were in and under.....
Check this out , including the FPV etc comments from Scotty
including.."let's give her a bit of welly" ..reminds me of "kick 'er in the guts Barry"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gclklfdqJDs ..A case in point is this Kiwi look at Team Hutchinson Ford in Christchurch of one of only 50 XR 6 Sprints or there Ux R Sux Sprunts...(sorry to my NZ friends) couldn't resist.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CPJkOaIXus .Same with XR8's just classy and respectful finish to the marque..By the way , Team Hutchinson Ford vids , and there's heaps of them , are really nice to watch..They're worth a look..
Their call though but maybe Holden should follow Ford's lead and focus on top notch and respectful quality as a premium objective. I hope so. ..Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-01-2017 at 10:30 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #85
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

****y trim aside, its not a bad sendoff IMO... I wonder if a Falcon could survive this test:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/515482/2...ack-certified/

Quote:
To achieve level 3 track certification, the vehicle must be able to do*24 hours of race pace laps at the Milford Road Course. The in lap and out lap doesn’t count and if a certain lap isn’t within a certain race*pace timeframe, it doesn’t count either.

Part of testing also includes going through a full tank of fuel at VMax, at temperatures above 38 degrees Celsius ambient.*The certification ensures that from a powertrain and braking perspective, they are capable of*being driven hard*without risk of overheating or part failure.

You can see the full details in our track review of the Magnum, Director and Motorsport, but to successfully achieve the Level 3 certification, each of the limited editions had an additional engine oil cooler fitted, an auxiliary automatic transmission cooler (for six-speed automatic models) and an in-tank radiator water-to-oil cooler for manual models.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-01-2017, 01:30 AM   #86
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You'd think they could have used either the 325 or 340 kw spec that HSV stopped using.
Supposedly Holden/HSV axed the 325/340 configs because they aren't Euro 5 compliant, whereas the 304kw is.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 01:49 AM   #87
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Supposedly Holden/HSV axed the 325/340 configs because they aren't Euro 5 compliant, whereas the 304kw is.
You're right the LS3 is being put to rest because it doesn't meet the new emission requirements that are coming but HSV are still selling the N/A 340kW LS3’s in the Limited Edition SV Black Clubsport R8 and Maloo, the Grange SV and Clubsport R8 Track Edition.

The main difference in the rated power is Holden and HSV use different units of measurement.

The limited edition Redlines will sell like hotcakes simply because they are limited with a build number but I don't see them at good value.

Personally for the money (around $70 - 72k) that people are paying for them I'd rather either go for the Clubsport N/A for much the same price or step up the price and go for the LSA or better still save $8k and purchase the far better looking standard Redline.

The upgraded engine and added trans coolers is always welcome but the MRC would be wasted on me as I'd ditch it to give the car a better stance and who in Australia needs heated seats (why not cooled seats instead)?

Last edited by Express; 21-01-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Old 21-01-2017, 01:54 AM   #88
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
****y trim aside, its not a bad sendoff IMO... I wonder if a Falcon could survive this test:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/515482/2...ack-certified/

We will never know, no more falcon.

BUT the VF commodore went OK when they took it to the Nurburg ring, didn't see a falcon there.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 07:09 AM   #89
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

get rid of that gawd awful red!!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2017, 07:55 AM   #90
jasen
Starter Motor

There the worst color scheme since the R-Spec.
jasen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: