Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-06-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Govia toll on new car

Picked up our new car yesterday.

Came home through Clem7 tunnel and I'm wondering how I pay the toll (tag was still registered to G6E)

Changed the tag to new vehicle online last night but can't for the life of me figure out how to pay an outstanding toll on a car that didn't (at the time) have a tag registered to it.

I could ring govia but I don't have much time left on the planet and I'd prefer not to spend most of it waiting in their phone queue.

Anyone successfully navigated a similar conumdrum?

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:08 AM   #2
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Govia toll on new car

I think you'll have to stick it out on their helpline.

I have a different conundrum though, in that I don't want to stick the ugly thing on my windscreen.

Do these tags work in any other locations (eg inside the glovebox)?
Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford17 View Post
I had mine stuck on the black bit behind the mirror so it was out of sight but I broke the clip and stuck it in the glovebox.

Worked fine.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have a different conundrum though, in that I don't want to stick the ugly thing on my windscreen.

No..only works near rear view mirror. I had it on the dash board and it didnt beep!! Had to pay over the phone, the toll..
Old 10-06-2016, 11:42 AM   #5
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty sure you can go online to pay it.
Just put in the new car rego and it should tell you what you owe.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #6
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:

I just hold mine up each time I go through a toll.
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2016, 07:05 PM   #7
Loosewheel
Starter Motor

I had done the same but as soon as I change the registration over it picked it up straight away. Either that or the new registed plate had my name all over it.
If you look on the invoice statement you will see the payment. Hope that helps.
Loosewheel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #8
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of a thread bump, but haven't been happy with the old & ugly GoVia tag since this was first raised.

I found it needed to be mounted on the windscreen, as it didn't work when sitting in the glovebox.

The original grey colour had faded in the UV, so thought I'd paint it black:

Haven't tested if it still works yet, but thinking as it's mostly sealed it should.

If not, I'm not too worried, as aesthetically at least, it can't get any worse.

Ford17 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the same style of tag for the Sydney toll roads, and I've got mine stuck under the ICC cap in the FG. You have to use blu-tack to get the position "fine tuned' to exactly where it will fit, then mark it & stick it on.

Works every time (2 trips/day), you can't see it, and it is still loud enough to hear it beep.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I do the same as I hate them on the windscreen.

I don't know why we haven't got a better system like they use in the US where you can mount them to the front number plate carrier or even better still to the front grill.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure there's an option to not have one at all, just charge your account via your licence plate.
The GF doesn't have one in her car, never received a toll notice, so I assume it's working.

Ah yep. It's a video account, there's a 47 cent video matching fee. So I guess it depends on how often you go through tolls and what it's worth to you to not have the tag visible.

I can't see mine where i've put it in my car, so doesn't really bother me.
I quite like the idea of having it under the ICC cap though!

Last edited by Sabantien; 01-12-2016 at 12:20 PM.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
I used to do this with my classics (Mach 1 Mustang, Pontiac GTO etc..).
I'd keep it in the centre console and just hold it to the screen as I passed under the reader.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2016, 08:51 AM   #13
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I do the same as I hate them on the windscreen.

I don't know why we haven't got a better system like they use in the US where you can mount them to the front number plate carrier or even better still to the front grill.
They're worse than having them on the screen.
Old 23-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
leesa

Bumping an old thread as I just set up a new car on my GoVia account and when I asked if there was enough toll credit to cover a trip I'd made without a tag, they said yes as I had $200 in the account. There's no way in hell I'd ever put $200 in a toll account!

So whose money is it? How did I get $200 in my account? How much of it is mine and how much is the mistake? What happens when the mistake is uncovered and that amount taken back, and turns out I didn't have enough to cover the trip?

Has this ever happened to someone else? I predict this will come back on me somehow and I'll end up fined hundreds of dollars (again) for a mistake that wasn't even my fault (again).
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #15
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Log onto your account online. It has all the details. You can also pick how much you want in your account and the top up amount.
Old 23-10-2017, 08:29 PM   #16
leesa

Thanks superfly, I couldn't find any details in there on the first hunt through but I've just spent a bit longer and found it. Looks like a few months ago the money was put into my account but I couldn't find any receipts or banking history to show that I'd paid anything on that day.

But I know what it's from now and it's a bit ugly.

Two years ago I used a toll road twice a day for a two week period but my balance was used up after the first week and I didn't top it up right away (yes yes, silly me, my fault). I called up by phone and paid it off a week later, but as I learned later, that is not sufficient to actually settle your account.

Turns out that if you run through your account funds and use a toll road again, your account is put into a 'suspended' state and any further trips you make are not tallied against your account. A whole 'nother account is created for you and when I called up to pay my account, the money wasn't applied against the tolls I'd made. They just put the money in my account as a credit, and my secret separate account (that I had no idea existed) remained outstanding.

Except secret separate accounts don't get email notifications of owing amounts, they don't call up and tell you it's due either, they instead send you bills by post after xx weeks/months. I was right in the middle of moving house (hence using a toll road twice a day that I'd never normally use) and didn't get the letters as by the time GoVia had sent them, I'd already moved out.

Anyway, I found out 6 months later when QLD Government debt department thingy sent me a fine for $1800! Yep, $1800, the miserable ****s! All because when I called up to pay my GoVia account, the money was applied against my account and not the second account they'd spun up but declined to tell me about.

So I drove to the old house, the new tenants still had some of my old mail, yay! They gave me 7 letters from GoVia for those trips that were billed against that super secret account but the fines were for 11 trips, doh. I ran the 7 reference numbers through GoVia's online payment system and sure enough it still accepted a payment at the original toll cost. Hoo-****ing-ray. Except I only had 7 letters which meant 4 were missing and I didn't have the reference numbers to try and pay them, so as to try and get out of the fines. I called GoVia and asked for the reference numbers but of course they didn't/wouldn't give them to me.
QLD Government debt thingy reduced my fine from $1800 to $656 as they could no longer pursue me for a fine that GoVia had since accepted money for, but $656 was still ridiculous IMPO.

Anyway, long story long, looks like the funds that are in my account today match to-the-cent the payments that I made through their online system 1.5 years ago to try get out of the fines. GoVia has given the money back to me.

I guess it remains to be seen if they try and pursue me for the $1200 I weaselled my way out of. I'm scared.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Wow! What a saga.

I hardly use toll roads to I have the minimum amounts set for top up and when to top up.

I hope they leave you be