Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #31
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Four dead at Dreamworld.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Not to mention the lawyers (vultures) that will be circling this mess. I would be astounded if the families of the deceased chose not to sue the pants off the owners/operators of Dreamworld. This will cost them big.

If there was negligence involved, the surviving family member dependents are entitled to sue for loss of dependency- ie a compensation to relatives action. In addition, for nervous shock damages.

This by no means will compensate them for their horrific loss.

Just horrendous for everyone involved- at least there will be a full coronial hearing with formal findings of "manner and cause of death" which hopefully will result in other humans not having to suffer such a tragedy.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 12:50 AM   #32
xr8cam

I started this post mainly, as a reminder to everyone who works with any machinery,tools or electricity to be diligent with safety and service. if your told to cut corners or expected to take risks, speak up. This 'tough aussie bloke' attitude always ends in tears, physically or mentally. Anyone who works with their hands will know what I mean. It is better than it was 30 years ago, but still prevalent in factorys and on site. A bloke I worked for expected us to overload his double axle trailers that had bald retreads and broken brake lights. One day on Mona Vale Rd doing 70km with said overladen trailer, two tyres blew, ripped the axle off the trailer and sent me skewwing sideways across two lanes of traffic. Luck was on my side and nobody was hit or killed. When I gave the boss a gob full and my notice, the other workers looked at me like I had the problem and driving dangerous cars is all in a days work. Stuff that.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #33
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Good stuff...

Why not give it to the kids that watched their parents being minced by the conveyor?

WTF?
My guess it as it is now a coroners inquest, probably a work cover investigation and that any victims will be covered and looked after by the parks liability insurance.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 01:22 AM   #34
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

From the description I've read there was no hope for the four deceased as the conveyor belt made a mess of them. Horrible way to die but I really feel sorry for the two children who watched it happen to their loved ones. RIP

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 04:12 AM   #35
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
I started this post mainly, as a reminder to everyone who works with any machinery,tools or electricity to be diligent with safety and service. if your told to cut corners or expected to take risks, speak up.
Second this, and can I add, I have done numerous cases in heavy industry, big machinery. And pressure for work to be done, working long hours, being fatigued and wanting to get it done to get home to pregnant wives etc can mean you never get home to loved ones.

Real fatigue= same effect as heavy intoxication=no driving and no working with heavy machinery

Just like the adds say take a break when driving- same with being fatigued and working with heavy machinery.

Feel so sorry for the kids. And for loved ones to sit through an inquest and watch the main players do tap dancing with Teflon raincoats ....

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 27-10-2016, 08:01 AM   #36
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

how the hell did you just get offended by what he said? your constant arguing at everything he says is getting silly.

from the posts between the two of you i have seen lately it looks like he is trying to be the bigger man and get past whatever thing made you hate each other

Last edited by GasoLane; 27-10-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 08:11 AM   #37
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did I get offended dude?

The fact that insurance companies don't immediately compensate is not valid? Not allowed to respond given victims aren't getting a cent form insurance for a long time.

Oh well maybe it's me? Screw the victims...give it to the red cross....
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 08:28 AM   #38
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Looked like you did by the attack back. What he said was right. Insurance will get involved and likely pay out. But I do agree that they should give the days take to the kids.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 08:51 AM   #39
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Second this, and can I add, I have done numerous cases in heavy industry, big machinery. And pressure for work to be done, working long hours, being fatigued and wanting to get it done to get home to pregnant wives etc can mean you never get home to loved ones.

Real fatigue= same effect as heavy intoxication=no driving and no working with heavy machinery

Just like the adds say take a break when driving- same with being fatigued and working with heavy machinery.

Feel so sorry for the kids. And for loved ones to sit through an inquest and watch the main players do tap dancing with Teflon raincoats ....
This is a good point, however I am not sure fatigue was involved here.

I only know what has been in the news, and probably missed a few news stories, but I am not sure if this was anything else apart from just a bad unfortunate accident.

I was on that ride only a short time ago with both my kids and missus, it's the only ride she went on as it seemed safe and tame. I had some concerns about the Buzz Saw, as it seems scary, I did go on it, and my kids went about 4 times. Had a few goes at the roller coaster and tower of terror, all of whom seem to be a lot more high risk to the casual observer.

It will be interesting what comes out of the investigation, that ride has been going for a long time. I also found most of the equipment in good condition and well maintained visually when I went.

Luna Park in comparison is an embarrassment as most of their stuff looks old and well worn, and patched up.

I do now have reserves about taking the kids back to dream world after this....

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-10-2016, 09:27 AM   #40
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
How did I get offended dude?

The fact that insurance companies don't immediately compensate is not valid? Not allowed to respond given victims aren't getting a cent form insurance for a long time.

Oh well maybe it's me? Screw the victims...give it to the red cross....
Maybe you didn't get offended, but that posts lacks any tact towards a fair and cogent opposing view. In fact, so does the post I've quoted.

As far as I can see in this thread so far, he's not trolling. But it certainly seems like someone else is. Maybe it's just their posting style.....
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #41
glimmerman
Earnin' and Burnin'

Lady I work with didn't come in yesterday and from what I heard her brother in law is one of the deceased, I'm not too sure if that means she also lost her sister as they were a couple who died, not a very pleasant way to go at all from what she said to others in the office the morning after it happened

Sent from my Blade S6 using Tapatalk

SO FAR Genie Headers, 100cell Cat, 3" SS exhaust, Nizpro Valve springs, Powerbond Under Drive, Pod filter, 3 inch intake, big mouth intake, Iridium Spark plugs, Atomic VIPER manifold.
TO BE INSTALLED Raptor V 14psi, Frozen Boost W2A, 3,7's & LSD, Auto Rebuilt
GOAL: 270+rwkws

My BA MKII Raptor Supercharged build
glimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #42
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
If there was negligence involved, the surviving family member dependents are entitled to sue for loss of dependency- ie a compensation to relatives action. In addition, for nervous shock damages.

This by no means will compensate them for their horrific loss.

Just horrendous for everyone involved- at least there will be a full coronial hearing with formal findings of "manner and cause of death" which hopefully will result in other humans not having to suffer such a tragedy.
Of course. It doesn't change the fact that the lawyers themselves will just be vultures, circling the recently deceased... looking for what they can salvage for themselves. That's all I was saying.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #43
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Think it is time for thread to take a break...or at least from the direction it has taken.....but no doubt others will not agree.

I doubt anyone close and affected by the deaths will see these post's but possibly friends of their's will.
Whole point of thread was about the terrible incident NOT the legal side and labelling them vultures etc - note; I'm not
in legal nor am I a big fan of this profession but think these point of views should be put aside for another day
or at least when the findings of accident are released.

My thought's are with the families affected and their friends...

Last edited by pursuit57; 27-10-2016 at 11:27 AM. Reason: correction
pursuit57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #44
xr8cam

I agree with pursuit57. Perhaps it is time to let this one go. Nothing will change what happened, the only way to ensure these people's lives were not taken in vain is to make amends to safety procedures and maintenance so it never happens again. God bless those who have lost loved ones. Everybody stop n think next time the urge to mash the right foot or the old 'she'll be right' pops into your head. Listen to your sixth sense or gut, if it smells trouble/drama, it's usually right.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #45
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe I should run the marketing department.

First open day in memory of the people who passed away, I would suggest the full days takings of the Park should go straight to the immediate family of the people that died in fact I would ensure the company matched the takings dollar for dollar and makes an additional donation of equal value to the families.

Also have discretionary donation boxes through the Park that also go the families.

I'm sure most if not all people would be very happy to attend the Park if the know that the $$ are going to the right people.

That will go some way of reweaving the burden these people now face and hopefully cover them while waiting for insurance companies start compensating.
Old 27-10-2016, 03:04 PM   #46
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Maybe I should run the marketing department.

Judging by some of your posts lately and particularly in this thread...

No you shouldn't, you really shouldn't.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 03:11 PM   #47
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You don't need money at a time like this. You need your family.

Unfortunately there are now a couple of kids who don't even have that.

So sad.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2016, 03:38 PM   #48
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
This is a good point, however I am not sure fatigue was involved here.

I do now have reserves about taking the kids back to dream world after this....
Yeah- neither am I.

In the spirit of the Op posting warnings generally about taking care, I wanted to add a major factor in many cases of people dying in heavy industrial settings involve fatigue and pressure to get a job done. Just people be aware if they work in those settings.

And yeah- I was planning on taking my youngest daughter to Dreamworld in January 2017, just the two of us, - but this has sort of soured that idea for me....

XR8cam
Quote:
Listen to your sixth sense or gut, if it smells trouble/drama, it's usually right.
And this is so true- sometimes your conscious mind does not engage, but your subconscious mind- which has evolved to self survive- will pick up facts and alert you with that gut warning if there is risk. Listen to it- it is usually given for a reason.

Mercury Bullet
Quote:
You don't need money at a time like this. You need your family.

Unfortunately there are now a couple of kids who don't even have that.

So sad.
Spot on. Nothing more to add, other than I hope they are enveloped by loved ones in warmth and love.

Last edited by asagaai; 27-10-2016 at 03:53 PM.
Old 27-10-2016, 03:40 PM   #49
scoupedy

Welcome to Queensland where health and safety come second to money. I have worked in many dodgy workplaces and if you say anything you get the sack.
I almost died at my current work and they still don't follow protocols and Qld work health and safety are useless like so many government bodies.
RIP to the poor victims and to the family sue the **** out of everyone you can they shouldn't be in business or in the positions they hold.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #50
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

The only reason I can see DW not using the memorial fund for the grieving families and only for Red Cross is in case the families use that money to sue DW later down the track should the coronary report deems the park negligent.

From a business perspective I can see it from Dreamworlds PR standpoint, aka 'open the park for all and send proceeds to Red Cross to make it look like we care'. Chances are the legal team behind DW will be working overtime to look for loopholes once the report is released.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #51
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
The only reason I can see DW not using the memorial fund for the grieving families and only for Red Cross is in case the families use that money to sue DW later down the track should the coronary report deems the park negligent.

From a business perspective I can see it from Dreamworlds PR standpoint, aka 'open the park for all and send proceeds to Red Cross to make it look like we care'. Chances are the legal team behind DW will be working overtime to look for loopholes once the report is released.
You're probably right...it would be seen as accepting responsibility, their legal would be advising otherwise.

As for DW supporting the victims family, seems stuff all has been forth coming just as I suspected, insurance company will be the same, with very little forthcoming in the immediate future.

This will just add insult to injury, big business at it's finest.
Old 27-10-2016, 04:52 PM   #52
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Last edited by pursuit57; 27-10-2016 at 04:54 PM. Reason: self deleted.... don't want to get banned !
pursuit57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #53
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC View Post
Injuries of 2 described as "Incompatible with life" (thinking severed parts here), 2 others drowned. Would have been horrific for workers, witnesses, rescue personnel, etc....RIP to the deceased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe
It's another way of saying fatal injuries.

"Two males and two females, they were assessed by Queensland ambulance personnel and had all sustained injuries that were incompatible with living."
Correct as only a doctor can declare a person dead so you can't say it until it has been officially declared even if it is blatantly obvious
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 05:51 PM   #54
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So dreamworld have cancelled plans to open some of the park on Friday.Damn good idea as most of those that went would have been the ghouls who would only have wanted to gawk at the death site
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #55
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
So dreamworld have cancelled plans to open some of the park on Friday.Damn good idea as most of those that went would have been the ghouls who would only have wanted to gawk at the death site
They're also referring to it as a crime scene now....
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #56
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I'm not sure it should ever be allowed to open again.
You hear of these things happening in places like China, where OHS is lacking, but in Australia, I would have never imagined.
And if it does reopen, I will never visit again.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:21 PM   #57
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I'm not sure it should ever be allowed to open again.
You hear of these things happening in places like China, where OHS is lacking, but in Australia, I would have never imagined.
And if it does reopen, I will never visit again.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 06:26 PM   #58
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Dreamworld’s grim reopening cancelled at last minute

http://www.news.com.au/national/quee...71b8222c0b76e4

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #59
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure if people have realised the amount of involvement the Red Cross has provided, setting up tents and providing grief counselling to people, hence the funds were planned to go to the Red Cross, to assist their victim support role.

I was not there, but I can see a few people blaming DW for this (probably without knowing the facts either), may be it was just an accident?? Just because people die does not instantly make it someone's fault. That ride has been operating since 1987, that's nearly 30 years, so it certainly is not a death trap as such.

Who knows what went wrong and if it was even a maintenance issue?

I guess that is what the investigation will hopefully ascertain.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #60
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something like this always hits home in more ways than one, especially when kids are involved. So many people I know have some form of connection with that ride or a similar one.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post