Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2016, 04:40 PM   #1
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default :rant Portable hard drives

So ive been doing uni part time whilst working full time, doing counselling with kids plus parent group work. At the a$$ end of my degree.

A while ago, after completing my first year at uni or so my laptop I accidentally broke my laptop screen. The hard drive from the laptop was put into a casing and used as a portable.

Fast forward a year or so later, the once laptop hard drive become corrupt. I bought a new WD portable hard drive, had a computer shop salvage %70 of my files and away I went.

Fast forward another year and had issues with the new portable HD. Lucky I had backed everything up on my laptop, so minus a couple of PDF's I could swallow this issue.

Fast forward another 6 months I had an issue with my laptop after a late night studying and spilt a bit of coffee on it. Took it into the computer centre again and although as they said my laptop my last 2 weeks, it may last 2 decades. Depends how long it takes for one of the damaged nodes to corrode.

Straight into Harvey Norman I go and buy a portable SSD HD. Expensive, but it can be used as a weapon. Save all my work on to the HD. Everything is safe an sound.

3 months later, the inlet to the HD decided to come out with the usb cord. SSD components are attached straight to the hardware. Looking like it may not be able to be fixed. On this HD is a 4 year degree with multiple late nights study.

(I did try the cloud online back up but with only a few files it reached it limit and it was asking for $$ so I threw that idea in the bin.)

I've had a bloody gut full of PC's and hard drives!

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #2
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: :rant Portable hard drives

Backing up is getting harder, not easier these days.
That said, I use TWO HDDs as well as the laptop, plus cloud, plus network drive.
All of this not accessible to a student 'though :-(
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know how big your files are, but backing them up on different devices/brands/mediums and keeping them stored at separate locations, mite help next time your hard drive decides to go to sleep.

And you could also store your data on a PC. You won't drop it (I'm sure someone has) or if you spill anything on the keyboard, worst-case scenario (besides getting zapped) is a new keyboard.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One word...

RAID
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Are you rough on your hardware? I've had the same WD External HDD for years and never had a problem. If you drop a HDD there is a good chance you will kill it, even if it's onto a soft surface like carpet.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #6
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

My less-than-1-year-old WD Elements portable drive has just died. No warning. Everything was shut down and unplugged while I went overseas, came back, powered things up again, and it's not showing up anywhere.
Had a 1TB Seagate, prior to that which died after about 4 years. So I'm less than impressed right now. Had all the back ups of my holiday photos on there, since I seem to kill SD cards and don't really want them on CD.

Could probably do something with warranty on the WD drive, but I just want my files back.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2016, 02:58 PM   #7
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not rough on my gear at all funnily enough.

Latest developments are:
Took it to a guy who was able to get my files off the HD, although, the HD was destroyed in the process - they can't be re cased. Leant me a USB with my files. Went home, backed the files up to my laptop. Turned laptop off and hung up the boots for the night.

Turned laptop on this morning and said problems re: node seemed to have killed my laptop. Laptop is in repair mode but no options are working. Went to the uni and I had cut and pasted the files from the USB. Hell. Bought ANOTHER USB, - metal one this time and contacted the fella who was able to salvage my files, he is hoping he can access them again. Hope he doesn't charge me a 2nd time. I've tried to hold off from buying a new laptop because I have a trip to Europe coming up in Nov.

Enough drama in my life to write another 2 series of home and away.

There will be a fire at my home tonight.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #8
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

I used cloud backups, I think I have 50 GB free with dropbox (from samsung S5 promotion) and 100 GB free with one drive (from samsung S7 Edge promotion)

Plus I have a separate HDD to back up to. Allot just seems like very bad luck TBH and if it wasn't due to the coffee then wouldn't have been so bad But yea I definitely like my cloud storage as I have accidentally lost all data before.

Interesting you say the SSD components were straight attached, you go buy a 2.5'' portable HDD enclosure and then fit a 2.5'' SSD to it..
Old 08-10-2016, 03:41 PM   #9
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by monkeys View Post
Not rough on my gear at all funnily enough.
k, just wondered.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:51 PM   #10
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just goes to show brand and price doesn't always equate to quality I luck. I've hade a cheap Toshiba portable hdd for a very long time. I use it many times a week, and back up the business PC weekly on it. Its dented, scratched and the cable wobbles a bit in the aperture but keeps on keeping on, seem to recall it cost me 90 dollars all those years ago. Only problem is I'm running out of space for the weekly save.
JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
One word...

RAID
Not really. RAID 0 ain't that great for data security.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Not really. RAID 0 ain't that great for data security.
Yes but Raid 1 is mirroring of drives... But I dont think its the best for OP
Old 08-10-2016, 08:46 PM   #13
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to have these issues all the time, struggled for years, then about 6 or 7 years ago bought an iMac, and have not lost a single file or photo since, have not had a virus or any other hardware or software issues ever.

Turn on and away you go.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #14
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Used to have these issues all the time, struggled for years, then about 6 or 7 years ago bought an iMac, and have not lost a single file or photo since, have not had a virus or any other hardware or software issues ever.

Turn on and away you go.
You just pay twice as much for 4 year old hardware.... the crapple way.

Computer hardware doesn't fail for no reason. You might realise that you damaging it, but likely you are.
I've got IDE hard drives that are 10+ years old that still work. I still have my first usb2 WD 500GB external (man that was a massive drive back in the day) too.

The suggestion to OP of a cloud base service makes a lot of sense if there is critical data - just be mindful of personal info, as there is not much that can't be 'obtained' by those that want it when it comes to the cyber world.

Use an external as long term storage for data that is not likely to change (old uni work and old photos) and use cloud storage for items that are being uitilised regularly.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 PM   #15
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes you might pay it bit more, but my sanity is well worth it, for 6 or 7 years not a single virus, not a single break down any new devices/printers etc just plug in and they work.

Used Microcrap based stuff for years and thought it was great, constantly suffing around and spending hours and days keeping the stuff running, viruses, reboots, reinstalling software etc etc

For 7 years I have done none of it, just turn on computer and away you go from the day I took it out of the box, missus was sceptical, when I bought my mac, I took it out of the box, plugged it and it connected to the internet and was running five minutes later. Been going ever since, my missus persisted for a few more month before we finally took her computer to the tip.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Guess i been lucky. Portable drives that have lasted many years and still going. Gotta a usb stick thats 15 years old and still works.

Jeez even my work laptops that i manage to break everything on them (but that does happen when you treat them poorly) except the hard drives.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:21 AM   #17
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Yes you might pay it bit more, but my sanity is well worth it, for 6 or 7 years not a single virus, not a single break down any new devices/printers etc just plug in and they work.

Used Microcrap based stuff for years and thought it was great, constantly suffing around and spending hours and days keeping the stuff running, viruses, reboots, reinstalling software etc etc

For 7 years I have done none of it, just turn on computer and away you go from the day I took it out of the box, missus was sceptical, when I bought my mac, I took it out of the box, plugged it and it connected to the internet and was running five minutes later. Been going ever since, my missus persisted for a few more month before we finally took her computer to the tip.
Same, Mac user for 10 years, love them....
Old 09-10-2016, 05:55 AM   #18
99AUXR
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351 View Post
Mmm and I like being able to get new hardware when its released and even new cases if I get bored. Apple doesnt come close to suiting my needs at all but others it will. However the prices they charge for the hardware

Quote:

Mac Books have their place and I dont rubbish any ones choice or the other product because they dont suit user/user is incapable to use them easily....

Weird that you have such issues with windows that I have never had. But hey I'm silly enough to Root and install roms on my s7 edge the day after I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Guess i been lucky. Portable drives that have lasted many years and still going. Gotta a usb stick thats 15 years old and still works.

Jeez even my work laptops that i manage to break everything on them (but that does happen when you treat them poorly) except the hard drives.
I have broken one HDD and it was after years of me falling asleep with laptop on bed and it falling off.. cannot blame it TBH other than that all my old HDD end up being used somewhere, my old portable 1TB I removed out of the case and ended up using them in my NAS thats almost 10 years old going strong.

Last edited by 99AUXR; 09-10-2016 at 06:06 AM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #19
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never lost a hard drive.

I only buy raptor/velociraptor 10,000rpm drives though, they cost a lot more and are heavy, hot and loud. So while they may be reliable they have their drawbacks.

Instead of packaged external drives I use usb-3 docks and can swap drives in and out whenever I like. That way I also get to choose which drives I buy.
usb-3 is plenty fast enough to run desktop apps off them.

I also backup all my photos to Blu-ray and redo them every two years.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2016, 04:00 PM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I didn't want to bite, but I just can't resist.. I've had my MacBook pro for 5 years, and it still works perfectly. Granted I actually know what I'm doing on a computer, so that would help, but even I've never had a PC that works just as good on day dot as it does 5 years down the track.

So yes Apple products cost a premium, but they certainly earn it as far as I'm concerned..
Old 10-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #21
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
I didn't want to bite, but I just can't resist.. I've had my MacBook pro for 5 years, and it still works perfectly. Granted I actually know what I'm doing on a computer, so that would help, but even I've never had a PC that works just as good on day dot as it does 5 years down the track.

So yes Apple products cost a premium, but they certainly earn it as far as I'm concerned..
Hardware on MAC is the same as a PC system, my point was that to buy a new Mac now, you are buying at least one generation older than current and paying the same (or more) money for it.

Modern Mac, you are paying for an OS and the belief of better hardware and support. But my experience, you are paying for an OS and overpaying for hardware. (price up a RAM upgrade on a Macbook against and other branded laptop and you will see.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
DJL351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #22
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Yes Apple is basically selling their OS at a very high price and giving you some aged hardware to go along with it. It is a much better financial decision to just build a "hackintosh" but most people that buy Macs don't know or care enough about pc hardware to build their own system.

macOS is very good, I will say that much. There are also some excellent Linux distros out there which a lot of people overlook. In the grand scheme of things Sierra is probably a better choice than Windows 10 for most users. It's not my cup of tea though. My PC is much more powerful/capable than the latest Mac Pro and cost a lot less... it seems like lunacy to pay such a high price for the hardware. Each to their own though.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #23
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hardware on MAC is the same as a PC system, my point was that to buy a new Mac now, you are buying at least one generation older than current and paying the same (or more) money for it.

Modern Mac, you are paying for an OS and the belief of better hardware and support. But my experience, you are paying for an OS and overpaying for hardware. (price up a RAM upgrade on a Macbook against and other branded laptop and you will see.
OSX is free. As in it costs $0. You can download it and install it for FREE. If you are keen you can make a Hackintosh and load OSX on that.

Just checked MSY. 16GB DDR3 1333 costs $99. I can afford that.....

I'm not going to get into any debate on hardware just reaffirm the comment made above. My MBP is 5 years old and still runs well.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:30 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Think the big issue with PC/Hard Drive crashes is people ignorance on how to use a PC properly.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2016, 02:04 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have had a couple of issues with WD portable drives (even had a near-new one fail ... and not a mark on the casing) .... I changed to Samsung units ... never a problem with them ... and they have been knocked around as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #26
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dropbox all the way

$14 a month for 1TB+ of cloud storage.

I've got 5 computers selectively synced so my data isn't just in the cloud, it's sent down to a couple different computers so I'm pretty confident it's safe.

Every photo I've ever taken, any file I ever need can be accessed on my mobile phone in a couple of seconds.

Any photo I take on my phone is automatically sent to the cloud as soon as it logs onto WiFi and downloaded to 3 computers as soon as they are turned on.

I just can't understand how people are still losing data when services like this are available.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2016, 01:53 PM   #27
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I guess because we're not all as tech savy and/or well resourced as you.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2016, 02:17 PM   #28
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
I guess because we're not all as tech savy and/or well resourced as you.
Well I've put it out there now for everyone to see so no more excuses!
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 09:19 AM   #29
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
OSX is free. As in it costs $0. You can download it and install it for FREE. If you are keen you can make a Hackintosh and load OSX on that.

Just checked MSY. 16GB DDR3 1333 costs $99. I can afford that.....

I'm not going to get into any debate on hardware just reaffirm the comment made above. My MBP is 5 years old and still runs well.

Mac OS is not free at all, it can legally only be installed on Apple hardware. Installing it on anything else is against their licence agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2016, 05:46 PM   #30
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6 View Post
Mac OS is not free at all, it can legally only be installed on Apple hardware. Installing it on anything else is against their licence agreement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Every download from Mountain Lion on has been free.

They do not care and make no effort to stop you installing it on any machine. I have downloaded the full installer from Apple and done bare metal installs on older macs. They could easily stop you

They also couldn't give a rats about Hackintoshes.