Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-12-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Default Ben Cousins 2nd Chance

So Richmond (go the Tiges!!) have picked up Cuzzy in the Preseason AFL draft. Personally i feel this is good for Ben, great for Richmond, and good for football overall.

Sure he has a drug problem, and is apparently struggling to reform, but i hope once he realises how much of a risk this club has made in picking him, and how many people are now relying on him, that he will do his best to overcome his problems.

I've had friends who in similar situations have lost their job, and people wouldnt give them a 2nd chance. Something like this though is good for a persons mental state.

On the ABC radio this morning they were having talk back about "Getting a Second Chance". Would anyone here like to comment on either A)Cousins and/or B)having had a second chance personally?

I'll start. about 18 months ago myself and my girlfriend were having a hard time trusting each other, to point of nearly ending a 4 yr relationship. But we decided to come clean and talk. we now love each other more than ever, and have a beautiful 3 month old daughter to show for it!

Old 16-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #2
noosacuda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He,like virtually ALL sports "stars" are paid way too much money, and cannot handle the responsability,like last years (about) half a million dollars! (The PM of Australia only gets $330k?!) where did Cousins money all go? up his nose and p1ssed against the wall!!!
noosacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 01:46 PM   #3
Ralliart
2011 A New Fresh Start

least now its finally over
Old 16-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Good on him and good luck to him. Richmond shall be a very interesting team to watch next year.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #5
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Quote:
Originally Posted by noosacuda
He,like virtually ALL sports "stars" are paid way too much money, and cannot handle the responsability,like last years (about) half a million dollars! (The PM of Australia only gets $330k?!) where did Cousins money all go? up his nose and p1ssed against the wall!!!
As opposed to my General Manager who earnt $13.4 million this financial year? While i get around $100K. and i bet i did more hard work than he did.

Put into perspective, a sporting club is a business and if it earns millions of dollars its only fair that the people who made that money get a large portion of it.

in a club there's less than, oh say 100 on the pay roll. the company i work for has over 17000.

And who cares what the PM gets? $330k p/yr pales in comparison to the parlimentary pension fund. Each PM gets paid until he dies as far as im aware.
Old 16-12-2008, 02:21 PM   #6
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

As a richmond support I a stoked that he will be there,it could be the spark needed for a better year, anything better than ninth I am a happy chappy...on another side note..

D1ck Smith the Major sponsor of the RFC have annouced a collectors edition fridge to mark the occasion. Has a 24 can capacity but only holds coke and ice, the number 12 slot on the fridge is the only one that works correctly but even then has a habit of exploding for nothing and some cans from this slot will spray left or right without warning, also the number 17 slot will occassionally leak no matter where you are.

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 02:31 PM   #7
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

Me too.

Actually my old man rang up and asked, "oh gawd, can you imagine Richo on Speed?"
haha
Old 16-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #8
kocho
The Futuriser

Richmond supporter all my life, 11th consecutive year as member. Really happy to have Cousins in board. Obvious risks and playing risks like hamstrings which are suspect but its good to see him have a 2nd chance.

I'm hoping we make the finals next year and have a fair bit of impact in them. Love to see Richo win a flag.

Go Tigers!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #9
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Good luck to Ben and well done to Richmond for giving him ago, just hope it works for them and not against.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 02:53 PM   #10
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

to me i hate how he has gone about it, so arrogant and smug.

just goes off and does the party boy thing with drugs and booze, then expects people to pay for his re-hab then expects to play agian, didnt even seem like he ever had the idea of what consequences could occur.

That's what annoys me about the whole thing
Old 16-12-2008, 02:58 PM   #11
irlewy86
Meep Meep

It'll end in tears
Old 16-12-2008, 03:06 PM   #12
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

yeh good luck to him and the club, hope it doesnt end in tears but can never not think what if? if it does.

maybe now perthnow.com.au can go back to dullsville as this circus is over and done now.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Rob
Living the dream

So the message is clear - drugs are OK, as long as you're good at footy.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:13 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I feel sorry for the poor physio's. Poor old Ben injures himself they won't be able to treat it with ICE!

On a serious note, it is good that he is given another go. I think he realises it is his last chance.
Old 16-12-2008, 03:16 PM   #15
BAGT161

Round 1 should be good.

Carlton V Richmond
BAGT161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #16
rodderz

I reckon he'll do well next year, barring injury. He has been a bit arrogant about things, but he has a natural talent that allows him to play good even after extended breaks.

I reckon there will be some AFL clubs next year wondering why they didnt pick him up. Good luck to him- he admitted his stuff up and got help before he got busted, if he's willing to put in the hard yards to come back thats a good thing
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i'll bloody spew if its a hamstring injury that ends his career early & not the drugs...
Old 16-12-2008, 03:25 PM   #18
kocho
The Futuriser

Id rather it be a hamstring that ends his career. He just needs to be with the right people at the moment. Its a minimal risk recruitment by Richmond because all it was was a PSD pick that we had to use to get him.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

do people really believe that cousins is the only drug suspect in the afl?? cousins admitted he had an issue but don't forget, he never failed a drug test, something others in the afl have done and yet 2nd and 3rd chances are handed out regularly. because they aren't high profile players not much gets reported.

good luck to Ben. i hope he does well as he has a lot to offer. it will not surprise me if richmond make the 8 next year. on paper they have a pretty good list. have a look at how different carlton looked once they got a couple of wins under their belt. confidence is a major factor in the afl.

how many people who bag cousins for what he does have done exactly the same thing or are doing the same thing in their own life. sure sports stars are in the public eye and have to set an example accordingly but they are still humans. if its not o.k. for ben because he has to lead by example, then i hope his example is followed and no one else does it either. won't happen. the media are sensationalists and many people are hypocrits.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #20
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

prydey, my gripe is how he just smirked about it, "yeah i took drugs" "ok ill go to rehab as long as someone else pays" (then expecting AFL to pay for it, wtf?)

then just assumes he gets to play footy again, complete BS.

you even sniff a steriod in athletics and your balls go on the bansaw!
Old 16-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #21
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
also the number 17 slot will occassionally leak no matter where you are.
I doubt that you wrote this, as you would know that Kane Johnson is no longer the captain.
The "Coke and Ice" thing has been overdone to death too. Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Richmond shall be a very interesting team to watch next year.
Richmond has been interesting to watch for a long time, because they are good when they get going, but their poor performances occur too often, and are a very low standard.
Richmond doesn't need stars to be prominent. Richmond needs stability, and competent businessmen at the helm.

Ed McGuire, as pathetic as he may be running a company, he has done a lot of good for Collingwood, even to the point of completely prostituting it in almost every aspect, especially the media.

Geelong as Frank Costa and Brian Cook who with them, Geelong would have shut down years ago, due to Kardinia Park being recognised as neolithic ruins and the club being even more in debt. During their 10 year reign, the club has been stable, and Mark Thompson (coach for his 10th year in 2009) has only helped that.

Richmond on the other hand goes through CEOs, football departments, Presidents and coaches like nobody's business.

So I see Cousins purely as a chance for Cousins. I think Richmond will do well this year with or without him, after last year's return to true Richmond form - 9th

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
prydey, my gripe is how he just smirked about it, "yeah i took drugs" "ok ill go to rehab as long as someone else pays" (then expecting AFL to pay for it, wtf?)

then just assumes he gets to play footy again, complete BS.

you even sniff a steriod in athletics and your balls go on the bansaw!
I seriously doubt your take on the events panned out that way.......

Old 16-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

lol, the only reason Cousins got back in was cause the fans wanted him in (obviously they feel Richmond's current player aren't up to scratch). Well we'll see how Cousins goes.

Once you break peoples trust you need to earn is again. If he keeps clean and plays like he did then all good. If he gets done again he'd better hope he's got money cause the local leagues dont pay as well as the AFL.
Old 16-12-2008, 07:54 PM   #24
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
It'll end in tears
second that
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #25
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
do people really believe that cousins is the only drug suspect in the afl?? cousins admitted he had an issue but don't forget, he never failed a drug test, something others in the afl have done and yet 2nd and 3rd chances are handed out regularly. because they aren't high profile players not much gets reported.

good luck to Ben. i hope he does well as he has a lot to offer. it will not surprise me if richmond make the 8 next year. on paper they have a pretty good list. have a look at how different carlton looked once they got a couple of wins under their belt. confidence is a major factor in the afl.

how many people who bag cousins for what he does have done exactly the same thing or are doing the same thing in their own life. sure sports stars are in the public eye and have to set an example accordingly but they are still humans. if its not o.k. for ben because he has to lead by example, then i hope his example is followed and no one else does it either. won't happen. the media are sensationalists and many people are hypocrits.
Good post

People have to remember that the AFL cant really ban Cousins from playing because he hasnt had 3 strikes. There's current players that have been tested positive but havent been brought out to the public. Cousins basically suspended himself and got himself back into shape to retun to the AFL. Franklin is rumoured to have 2 strikes but you wont see him coming out and publically admitting a problem.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:09 PM   #26
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

I dont think he should be aloud to play ever again!, its setting the wrong example for young kids!
Old 16-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #27
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lets see how good he realy is without the gogo juice in him.hope richmond win the flag then have it taken off them caues he tests positive
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #28
Stattic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he was an amazing player and while he was on drugs too
i think the AFL did the right thing when they left it up to the clubs to decide if they wanted to take him, everyone is whinging about his treatment but i think its quite fair

he has done his time, he has been free to accept a second chance offered by any club and the stringent testing the AFL wish to apply is fair also. if he has nothing to hide the tests will be nothing more than a very minor inconvenience
Stattic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:46 PM   #29
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope he never plays another game in all honesty.

If he cannot submit a clean sample to say he is drug free, then he shouldnt play. No ifs, No buts.

If I have to submit to a full drug and alcohol test for work, then he should too.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #30
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I hope he never plays another game in all honesty.

If he cannot submit a clean sample to say he is drug free, then he shouldnt play. No ifs, No buts.

If I have to submit to a full drug and alcohol test for work, then he should too.
He will be, up to 3 times a week, including hair and blood samples.

He's paid his dues and everyone deserves a second chance.

Richo might finally have some one able to deliver the ball to him lol.