Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2019, 06:59 PM   #61
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 5000th RAM

Ahh I knew it wouldn't be long before the baby boomers became the root of all evil.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2019, 08:26 PM   #62
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Reminds me of this....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqpPpaOe-bg Note dash cam speed at the time.
Hah Christ why would ya.
To contrast that, when I was on the tools in the north west.
I would often take a road train on road test for diagnosis or final check after major work was carried, out on a near daily basis. Ideally up around the speed limit.
Only problem in the cooler months was being stuck behind the above mentioned **** scared traveller in their over loaded Thai special hooking along at 80kmh.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #63
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the Thai utes are just not a good fit for the Australian market. Diesel engines too gutless with crappy towing economy and mediocre long distance comfort and handling

I think there’s a place half way between the Thai utes and US pickups. A nice size wth a decent V8 petrol and V6 diesel, 4 wheel disc brakes and a non-tinfoil chassis/body but not as big as the US pickups
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2019, 10:59 PM   #64
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
You'd be surprised.
No, I wouldn't, nor do I go for worst case scenario to get my point across.

Talking to old mate last week and with his combo, which looked comfortable enough, he was getting sub 20's and at the local price of $1.58cpl thats under 30c/km.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2019, 11:11 PM   #65
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Hah Christ why would ya.
To contrast that, when I was on the tools in the north west.
I would often take a road train on road test for diagnosis or final check after major work was carried, out on a near daily basis. Ideally up around the speed limit.
Only problem in the cooler months was being stuck behind the above mentioned **** scared traveller in their over loaded Thai special hooking along at 80kmh.

Nothing quite like Looking up a Bulldog's Freckle....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 12:09 PM   #66
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Nice powerful Engine - Check
Coil rear suspension - Check
Opening window between cab and tray - Check

These are 3 things I would want on a ute and no other ute in Australia ticks all these boxes.

I'm going to have a serious look at one of these when I want a new car.
That opening between the cab and tray is a must! Transforms the car and allows longer items to be carried without protruding past the tray or being stowed in 'tombstone' fashion.

I think the Triton has a small window that opens in the back as an option?

With a canopy, you have the practicality, almost, of a wagon.

Or, you could just get a RAM and the tray is of sufficient size while all the seating is ample, while it is powerful and comfortable, while it tows well.

Here's my pet theory: to win the auto market in Australia, you don't need to win Bathurst, you need to win the bush. Landcruiser did this. The only thing out there that could give the Cruisers a run for their money in the bush, is these things. But it will need long term dedication to servicing and reliability as well. Win the bush, win the country.
Old 31-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #67
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another pet theory:

The wagon became the SUV (and got the clearance of an FB/EK Holden wagon again).

The sedan became the... dual cab ute. It's a 3 box shape with bonnet, 4 door cabin, and boot. So, the Aussie V8 sedan buyers, the model everyone aspires to, will become V8 dual cab ute buyers.
Old 31-12-2019, 01:15 PM   #68
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good Oz review of the Ram 2500.

Love the trick Ramboxes.

https://magazine.rvdaily.com.au/en_U..._-_part_1.html
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #69
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Talking to the elderly couple last week and it was pretty clear that they didn't choose the RAM because it could fit much in the tray, in fact they didn't have anything in the tray at all, they bought it because they could get the 4.5t towing capacity with a petrol engine.
Not everyone needs a big roof top basket, recovery tracks, a bulbar, winch, room for a couple of trail bikes etc. etc. if all you want is a vehicle for a couple of nomads and a comfortable touring van, the RAM is the perfect solution.
That it looks and sounds way sexier than a Thai special is an added bonus.
There are some things Thai's do better, however that's not automotive related...
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 01:29 PM   #70
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Ranger could have all 3 if they combined spec. US Ranger has rear window to cab, raptor has coils, and US is rumoured to be getting more powerful petrols.
True but we will never seen a US spec Ranger in Australia.
Unless this whole US pickup thing kicks off properly then ford will be forced to give Australia what it wants.

As for people saying coils reduce carrying and towing capacity, that’s fine by me. A Ute would be handy for me but I don’t need to carry heavy weight or tow big loads.
I look at the number of utes in my work car park. I know half these people don’t throw 1000kgs in the tray or tow 3500kgs. I’m surprised that the Navara is the only Ute sold in Australia with coils in the rear. Especially since utes seem to be the new default family car.

I actually drove a Ute for the first time today in several months. I forgot how rough the leaf suspension is with no weight on the back.

Last edited by Ben73; 31-12-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #71
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Unless this whole US pickup thing kicks off properly then ford will be forced to give Australia what it wants.

As for people saying coils reduce carrying and towing capacity, that’s fine by me. A Ute would be handy for me but I don’t need to carry heavy weight or tow big loads.
I look at the number of utes in my work car park. I know half these people don’t throw 1000kgs in the tray or tow 3500kgs. I’m surprised that the Navara is the only Ute sold in Australia with coils in the rear. Especially since utes seem to be the new default family car.

I actually drove a Ute for the first time today in several months. I forgot how rough the leaf suspension is with no weight on the back.
They've even got drums on the back axles, it's not so much that they can't offer something with coils on the back, it's that customers are happy with cheap nasty vehicles sold at huge profit margins so they won't come to the party with significant engineering changes.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 02:17 PM   #72
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They've even got drums on the back axles, it's not so much that they can't offer something with coils on the back, it's that customers are happy with cheap nasty vehicles sold at huge profit margins so they won't come to the party with significant engineering changes.
Agreed, the astute Aussie is his or hers own worst enemy, too busy making excuses for why their preferred option doesn't come with what it should rather than refuse to buy what's forced upon them until it does.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #73
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

The point is, for those who do regularly tow big weights, they now have an option which covers all bases with room to move, rather than maxing out on a Thai special.
For those who just want a ute, they can get a ute, those who need 4x4 can get one in 4x4, those who don't can get a 4x2 hi rise for clearance and for those who need all of that plus tow a big float or van, a RAM.

Aren't we blessed.
Old 31-12-2019, 02:31 PM   #74
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Good news story for Aussie industry

https://www.caradvice.com.au/816297/...00-production/.

And they went from 1500 units made in mid 2019 to 5000 now - excellent!
Yes, good for walkinshaw, however there is a discrepancy in the article about the figures. They claim 1500 mid year and now 5000 total. That makes 3500 since mid year. Later in the article however the head of sales says the total RAM sales for Australia and NZ for 2019 is just shy of 3000.

My guess is the 1500 mid year figure is not total sales but 2019 ytd sales. This would also suggest that contrary to popular belief, demand isn't suddenly sky rocketing. Second half of the year has matched the first with close to 3000 sales for the year.

A good effort but less than a tenth of the sales of ranger or hilux etc. While tall poppy syndrome fuels people to rubbish the market leaders, RAM will never be more than a niche vehicle.

If you need to tow something heavy without modifying the vehicle or driving a behemoth your best option (which pains me to say) is probably the 79 series cruiser. 2.3t rear axle load limit. 600kg higher than ram1500. Otherwise spend up and get a merc G wagon.

Also, 6000+ people a month (hilux + ranger) prove that engine size isn't the concern many make it out to be on here. It's just a non issue. Amorok offered a bigger option and how's that working out for them?
Old 31-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #75
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Nothing quite like Looking up a Bulldog's Freckle....
A gold one too
Nothing special these days.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #76
prydey
Rob

Quote:
They've even got drums on the back axles,
And?

So do heavy vehicles...
Old 31-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #77
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

They aren't saying they've built 5000 this year, its the 5000th RAM built in Australia since they began in 2015 with the 2500 and 3500, the 1500 by mid year is 1500 RAM 1500's built by Walkinshaw.
Old 31-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #78
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
And?

So do heavy vehicles...
Are they air operated with a booster on each one?
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 02:51 PM   #79
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Yes, good for walkinshaw, however there is a discrepancy in the article about the figures. They claim 1500 mid year and now 5000 total. That makes 3500 since mid year. Later in the article however the head of sales says the total RAM sales for Australia and NZ for 2019 is just shy of 3000.

My guess is the 1500 mid year figure is not total sales but 2019 ytd sales. This would also suggest that contrary to popular belief, demand isn't suddenly sky rocketing. Second half of the year has matched the first with close to 3000 sales for the year.

A good effort but less than a tenth of the sales of ranger or hilux etc. While tall poppy syndrome fuels people to rubbish the market leaders, RAM will never be more than a niche vehicle.

If you need to tow something heavy without modifying the vehicle or driving a behemoth your best option (which pains me to say) is probably the 79 series cruiser. 2.3t rear axle load limit. 600kg higher than ram1500. Otherwise spend up and get a merc G wagon.

Also, 6000+ people a month (hilux + ranger) prove that engine size isn't the concern many make it out to be on here. It's just a non issue. Amorok offered a bigger option and how's that working out for them?

Amarok are selling all they can get and are doing quite well considering that buy in is 42k and how to 75k. They only offer a dual cab and they don’t offer a factory cab chassis

On the amarok point in the last 2 years through company cars I have had 3 rangers, a Colorado, a dmax, a amarok 4cl and now a July built hilux. The only one I would buy is the amarok. Second place is the ranger then the rest can fight it out for me catching the bus to work with arm full of tools
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #80
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
A gold one too
Nothing special these days.
Too true, they'll have to start making them "Volvo" Green.....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
And?

So do heavy vehicles...
Except Euro prime movers like Scania, Iveco, Volvo etc.

Even the newer trailers have discs

You know why the passenger vehicle market moved away from drums decades ago? Because they suck compared to discs.

They're only used on micro segment cars to save costs and on Thailand specials because they're cheap junk.

By your methodology I look forward to seeing the new GT500 Mustang with a Holley 750 XP and a C4.

Maybe even place a pre-order with your Nokia phone.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 31-12-2019 at 03:47 PM.
5 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 03:50 PM   #82
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 5000th RAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed, the astute Aussie is his or hers own worst enemy, too busy making excuses for why their preferred option doesn't come with what it should rather than refuse to buy what's forced upon them until it does.

I don’t know whether to describe the situation as confirmation bias or Stockholm Syndrome. I’m leaning to the latter given the garbage offered by the vehicle companies in Australia. There’s no good reason why the consumer isn’t able to walk into a Ford dealership in Oz and purchase a F Truck with all the bells and whistles available. Instead, we’re sold this Taiwanese plastic junk designed in Oz, built overseas in 3rd world countries and pay 1st world rates for it.

No wonder companies like Ford and Government Motors is on the nose.
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 03:52 PM   #83
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
I don’t know whether to describe the situation as confirmation bias or Stockholm Syndrome. I’m leaning to the latter given the garbage offered by the vehicle companies in Australia. There’s no good reason why the consumer isn’t able to walk into a Ford dealership in Oz and purchase a F Truck with all the bells and whistles available. Instead, we’re sold this Taiwanese plastic junk designed in Oz, built overseas in 3rd world countries and pay 1st world rates for it.

Remember when VDC and Ford USA tried to do contracted pricing on F series and Ford Australia stepped in to block it?
Old 31-12-2019, 03:55 PM   #84
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Remember when VDC and Ford USA tried to do contracted pricing on F series and Ford Australia stepped in to block it?

It would be good if Ford US just shut down Ford Oz and engaged an importing agent to import Ford US vehicles here. Engage another company to do the RHD conversions. Consumers can then buy pretty much what ever Ford US has on offer rather than the current crop of garbage.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:09 PM   #85
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nice specs in 2019! If someone out there produces an XW shape ute with leaves, drums on the rear (plus obligatory bench seat) and a V8 in 2019, I'm buying it!
Old 31-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #86
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There are some things Thai's do better, however that's not automotive related...
The Tom Kha soup is wonderful!

Never been there, but the Thai tourists I have met at work have been the most beautiful, gentle people to talk to. Perhaps a reason to thank the Portugese for providing cannons to the King of Siam when faced with the spread of Islam all those centuries ago. I get into the Buddhist aspect of it all as well. Siamese cats are cool too
Old 31-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #87
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also makes you appreciate how advanced the Aussie utes were before the industry got canned. I was always peeved that if you manufacture here it has to be 5 star safety, but if you import it can be 3 star. So the Aussie stuff got the full safety, the big disks, better suspensions (Falcon had leaves to the end), monocoque bodies. The RTV was a step in the right direction.
Old 31-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #88
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
It would be good if Ford US just shut down Ford Oz and engaged an importing agent to import Ford US vehicles here. Engage another company to do the RHD conversions. Consumers can then buy pretty much what ever Ford US has on offer rather than the current crop of garbage.
That makes no sense, cause it’s the yanks unwillingness to build rhd f series that is stopping it coming here. It’s not FoA stopping it.

Yanks are flat chat with f series production just supplying north america. They don’t give 2 ****s about selling a couple thousand a year in australia. Complete woftam for them.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #89
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm sure FOA could partner up with someone like Premcar to do the conversion locally to an OE standard.

Problem is it's counter productive for Ford Australia to have F series within reasonable price range of the highly profitable Ranger - they'd end up cannibalising Ranger sales shooting themselves in the foot.

If you want F series then you'd have to buy it through VDC realistically, they don't have economy of scale like HSV do to offer the lower pricing structure.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-12-2019, 04:55 PM   #90
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't think Thailand is a third world country
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post