Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #61
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: Servo Etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
Will be interesting to see how long before Australia Adopts like some states in the USA have Pay before you fill. Either by pay at pump similar to Costco method or go pay the operator , then come back to the car to fill.

This is done to stop fuel theft drive offs
We have two servo's close to our house, an On The Run and a Liberty, the Liberty is at least 5cpl and sometimes up to 30cpl cheaper than the OTR, but at 10pm the Liberty goes pay first.
Personally i'd rather pay the extra at the OTR after 10pm than be treated like a possible criminal by the people running the Liberty and when I first discovered the practice I didn't mind telling them that before putting the cap back on my tank and driving up the road.

Not long ago I arrived at a servo in one of the work buses, a big white bus with a big company logo on the side and at around 9am in the morning, same story, pay first came the message across the loud speaker, so I walked in and asked why considering the time of day and obvious well labelled vehicle...company policy, well i'll take my $300 sale down the road then...that's my policy.

The irony is, that on any given day we are ripped off blatantly by these fuel sellers and we have to cop it, yet they can tar everyone with the same brush to prevent a return of serve.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 01:29 PM   #62
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
We have two servo's close to our house, an On The Run and a Liberty, the Liberty is at least 5cpl and sometimes up to 30cpl cheaper than the OTR, but at 10pm the Liberty goes pay first.
Personally i'd rather pay the extra at the OTR after 10pm than be treated like a possible criminal by the people running the Liberty and when I first discovered the practice I didn't mind telling them that before putting the cap back on my tank and driving up the road.

Not long ago I arrived at a servo in one of the work buses, a big white bus with a big company logo on the side and at around 9am in the morning, same story, pay first came the message across the loud speaker, so I walked in and asked why considering the time of day and obvious well labelled vehicle...company policy, well i'll take my $300 sale down the road then...that's my policy.

The irony is, that on any given day we are ripped off blatantly by these fuel sellers and we have to cop it, yet they can tar everyone with the same brush to prevent a return of serve.
Yep agree, I have the same policy, don't pay up front.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #63
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post

Unfortunately, the people you vent on probably only just work there and have no power.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #64
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Unfortunately, the people you vent on probably only just work there and have no power.
But hopefully they'll pass comments on to those that do have power.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:34 PM   #65
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
But hopefully they'll pass comments on to those that do have power.
Exactly, and I'm not sure how anything I said could be considered as 'venting' although that comment is probably more to do with other 'things' than this thread.
Standing up for your rights to be treated as innocent until you have proven yourself guilty and subsequently taking your custom elsewhere is not what I'd consider venting.
4 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 04:36 PM   #66
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Almost nothing lights my fuse faster than the “Nuremberg Defence”.

Bent 8, why not take advantage of their free forecourt parking next time you need to stand the bus while running a couple of errands? If they don’t know you’re not going to do a runner, they can’t know you’re definitely not buying fuel there in due course.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:46 PM   #67
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Almost nothing lights my fuse faster than the “Nuremberg Defence”.

Bent 8, why not take advantage of their free forecourt parking next time you need to stand the bus while running a couple of errands? If they don’t know you’re not going to do a runner, they can’t know you’re definitely not buying fuel there in due course.
Because it's not my style, two wrongs don't make a right, I'll just take my business where it's welcomed and I'm respected as any person who's done nothing wrong should be,.
And I wouldn't want to bring the company name into disrepute, they're good honest people too.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:35 PM   #68
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Prepaid fuel is still a thing in Australia? Damn

A few places tried it around here about 12 years ago. It didn't last long. I'm guessing there were lots of people like me, I avoided these stations because it's just more annoying. There's always another service station somewhere nearby.

What's worse, a drive off occasionally or 20% of all your customers driving past and filling up somewhere else?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2020, 09:38 PM   #69
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaw View Post
Will be interesting to see how long before Australia Adopts like some states in the USA have Pay before you fill. Either by pay at pump similar to Costco method or go pay the operator , then come back to the car to fill.

This is done to stop fuel theft drive offs
No need.

Commodores aren't being built anymore.

But seriously, if filling and moving before paying is a thing, it must be a west coast thing.

I recently wanted some food when at a servo so I got my fuel, paid, moved my car (despite there being a crapton of bowsers and being super quiet) then went back in and got my food.

I've seen a lot of dumb things at servos though, especially out west.
My favourite was a small servo in a small town. I was about to pull in for fuel when a 4wd pulling a huge caravan pulled in ahead of me. They proceeded to park on the right side of the pumps, blocking them all.

But not only that. They didn't move forward enough to let anyone in behind them to get to the other side.

At which point, they got out, locked the car, and went into the servo. They weren't even getting fuel.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-01-2020, 09:43 PM   #70
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
They can authorise the pump. They choose not to.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-01-2020, 03:26 AM   #71
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
But seriously, if filling and moving before paying is a thing, it must be a west coast thing.
It's not. By and large, moving before paying doesn't happen, and it shouldn't. don't know where the OP gets that idea from.

The only exception is if people are going into the servo to do their weekly grocery shopping.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 08:34 AM   #72
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
It's not. By and large, moving before paying doesn't happen, and it shouldn't. don't know where the OP gets that idea from.

The only exception is if people are going into the servo to do their weekly grocery shopping.
See post #16 Happens here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #73
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

What are they going to do? Refuse your money?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2020, 02:22 PM   #74
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
What are they going to do? Refuse your money?
Perhaps, install these or similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhV2wYjEDPo ?