Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation SA WA Border closed. Due to fires on Nullabor.

It ****ess me off this isnt on the news.
Due to catastrophic fire conditions and damage to the road surface, the Eyre Highway, the main and ONLY road from South Australia to Western Australia has been closed to all traffic at the border.

Travellers are urged consider alternate travel plans - DO NOT ignore road closure signs.

Please follow all signage and remember; closed means closed. Stay alert when driving in smoke affected areas and watch for emergency personnel. SA Police.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:53 PM   #2
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SA WA Border closed. Due to fires on Nullabor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
, the main road from South Australia to Western Australia has been closed to all traffic at the border.
corrected that for you as its not the only way from SA to WA
the other way IS substantially longer , but doable as its how we are currently sending road freight thats required to travel
and thats via the NT up across and back down

but yes you'd think it was news worthy , but its WA and not the east side so news dont care bout us

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #3
Gothefalcon
FAWD - No Boundaries
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: He takes long trips in his AWD Falcon & where ever he goes he sets out to meet forum members at various destinations. He does this without expectation of any sort. I have had the pleasure of spending time with Dhru on two of his separate trips and his gre Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The excellent write ups in your BF AWD Falcon Wagon thread 

I've seen it on the news a few times now, here in Sadelaide

The sooner the Great Central Rd from Ulluru to Laverton is completely bitumised, the better ! At least it would be a slightly shorter sealed alternative !??

D

22 DJR Shell V-Power Mustang Eskymobile (my first EV)
07 BF2 AWD Falcon Wagon (Daily driver)
04 BA Falcon 1Tonner Ute (New Project)
03 BA Falcon Wagon (Spare)
98 NL Fairlane Ghia V8 (Weekend cruiser)
70 VG paddock racer (Cain it til it breaks.. fix it.. Cain it all over again !)
Gothefalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2020, 02:09 PM   #4
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

I did see a single news story about this on the idiot box a few days ago but nothing since.

Multiple semis with fresh produce onboard unable to get through, families trying to get home to SA, VIC and NSW to see if they still have a house to live in due to the bushfire situation.

Supplies of basic needs such as milk, bread, toilet paper etc running extremely low at towns and roadhouses each side of the road closure area. People in the news story were begging for food and supplies to be brought in by air. Unfortunately, not everyone can afford to turn back and catch a flight East or West plus the cost of sending the car by rail.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #5
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

UPDATE:
The Eyre Highway is still closed after 11 days.

Hundreds of people are stranded each side of the closure zone.

ABC Adelaide reported this morning that the cost to the trucking industry alone is $3- 4M per day let alone the cost to producers and business's that depend on the products not able to be delivered.

Due to the flooding caused by a cyclone that was at the top of WA, traffic is unable to travel through the alternate route through Central Australia.
X-AHH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #6
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Hush up; this is the first part of our subtle WA secession strategy. We were hoping the other states wouldn't notice and that in due coarse we could cut all remaining links with the eastern states, Slomo and the various redneck climate change deniers. I mean now there is no Australian Ford vehicle, related parts or tool production why do we need them? You've gone and alerted them to it and ruined the whole plan.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Hush up; this is the first part of our subtle WA secession strategy. We were hoping the other states wouldn't notice and that in due coarse we could cut all remaining links with the eastern states, Slomo and the various redneck climate change deniers. I mean now there is no Australian Ford vehicle, related parts or tool production why do we need them? You've gone and alerted them to it and ruined the whole plan.
and our next step is to get on ships and invade your country in the intent to take it over and colonise it Mwahahaha

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
and our next step is to get on ships and invade your country in the intent to take it over and colonise it Mwahahaha
Was that you I saw on the telly anchored off Eden.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:20 PM   #9
superyob
Banned

Wodahs, are you Dr Evil???
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 03:48 PM   #10
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Good. That means WA can't screw the other states on revenue like it has been doing for decades. Parasites
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
. That means WA can't screw the other states on revenue like it has been doing for decades
Another ES generated myth; even the graphs in this very biased eastern state's view of the world are still telling https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...-alone/6393196 Also note that it was only in 1942 that the Commonwealth took over the collection of income tax and disbursement of Commonwealth revenue to the states and before that we looked after ourselves.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:23 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Wodahs, are you Dr Evil???
Come to think of it, he bears striking resemblance to Ming the Merciless...
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I suppose someone had to do something now that Prince Graeme has chucked it in.

http://www.principality-hutt-river.c...7_Dec_2019.htm
Old 09-01-2020, 06:41 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
corrected that for you as its not the only way from SA to WA the other way IS substantially longer , but doable as its how we are currently sending road freight thats required to travel and thats via the NT up across and back down

A lot of those NW roads are now or were closed due to cyclone related floods see: https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indus...d-access-to-wa and https://mrw-aue-tvlmp-appsrv-prd.azu...s.net/Home/Map
Old 09-01-2020, 07:00 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I saw this on Twitter, it's already 4 or 5 days road freight between Melbourne and Perth for pallets without road closures.

I suspect our Perth branch are going to have stock dramas soon
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2020, 07:04 PM   #16
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
It ****ess me off this isnt on the news.
Due to catastrophic fire conditions and damage to the road surface, the Eyre Highway, the main and ONLY road from South Australia to Western Australia has been closed to all traffic at the border.

It has been well covered in WA news media and with the bushfire tragedies in the east I can see why it has been pushed off most national and western states news "front pages". Similarly, while our WA brushfires have consumed more hectares ( 1.5 million hectares burned see https://7news.com.au/news/bushfires/...lazes-c-630858 ), we have had no deaths and very much less property damage yet, so I can see why it is hardly mentioned. In reality WA has so far this year been very lucky in terms of the outcomes mostly because most of ours bad bush fires have so far not been in closely settled areas.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:33 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I saw this on Twitter, it's already 4 or 5 days road freight between Melbourne and Perth for pallets without road closures.

I suspect our Perth branch are going to have stock dramas soon
A LOT of freight goes by rail, is the railway line affected?
Old 09-01-2020, 07:36 PM   #18
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of those NW roads are now or were closed due to cyclone related floods see: https://www.fullyloaded.com.au/indus...d-access-to-wa and https://mrw-aue-tvlmp-appsrv-prd.azu...s.net/Home/Map
yer went closed on the 6th when i posted but are now closed being they closed them on the 7th
just another gear in the grand plan to separate us , next ill be talkin to my mate trumpy bout a great wall

2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2020, 07:41 PM   #19
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
A LOT of freight goes by rail, is the railway line affected?
No; well not yet.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ies-Perth.html
Quote:
oth Coles and Woolworths said the highway closure disrupted its supply chain for many goods, particularly fresh fruit and vegetables.

Coles diverted supplier shipments to rail to minimise the impact on available for customers and loads have been arriving since Monday,' the company said.

'We apologise to customers for any inconvenience and our team is working hard to ensure we can have all lines fully stocked as soon as possible.

'Coles is working with emergency services across Australia to support firefighting and relief efforts for those affected by bushfire.'
and I think our avocados for your Big Macs is an advantageous swap for WA. :-)
Old 10-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Another ES generated myth; even the graphs in this very biased eastern state's view of the world are still telling https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-...-alone/6393196 Also note that it was only in 1942 that the Commonwealth took over the collection of income tax and disbursement of Commonwealth revenue to the states and before that we looked after ourselves.
WA was a parasite for many decades. Only since the recent mining boom had it started to pay it's fair share. Still well on the negative scale over time.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #21
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
WA was a parasite for many decades. Only since the recent mining boom had it started to pay it's fair share. Still well on the negative scale over time.
As Alannah MacTiernan said:

Quote:
At Federation in 1901 WA output per capita was 215 percent of the national average. By 1925 this had fallen so dramatically a Royal Commission was called. It found that protectionist policies that benefited the other States had been the root cause. In effect WA had been taxed to such an extend (by way of tariffs and restrictions on free trade) that it had gone on backwards on a comparative basis. One of the Royal Commissioners had even advocated secession. So to suggest that WA has been a leaner on other States through much of the 20th Century is not accurate when you look at the bigger picture.

The grants commission has some pretty perverse rules for calculating how GST is allocated. It looks at the cost of delivering services. But get this. It looks at the distance from "Capital Cities" to assess cost and makes the assumption that Melbourne is the capital of Tasmania as Hobart does not have a population larger than 250,000. How bizarre!. But wait there's more . . . . Adelaide is assumed to be the Capital of the Northern Territory . . . . . want some steak knives thrown in with that . . . . . The grants commission then makes the assumption that once you get more than 1254km from a "Capital City" there it does not cost any more. This absurd simplifying and unjustified assumption impacts WA the most - for example Wyndham is 3340 km from Perth . . . there are 5000 school kids scattered across the remote Kimberly!

Every cent of WA's royalties is included in the grants commission calcs. Yet gambling revenues of $5b collected by other States are excluded. If these were included WA would receive from that alone an extra $410m.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:52 PM   #22
IanC

ABC news tonight reported that the Eyre Highway has now been reopened.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: