Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 23-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #1
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo Xr5 Turbo

Hi I'm new to this -so here goes.
Had my XR5 in for 30k service today $309 inc wiper blades and rotate and balance - which was not done (wheels not moved). Anyway one of the problems I am having with the car is that it seems a bit sluggish - will not rev past 5000rpm (in 2nd gear car hesitates on its way up there and then just holds at 5000rpm) Any other car I have had will always redline and beyond.
The Foreman at the dealership agreed with me that it was flat but couldn't find anything wrong - is going to check with another dealer tomorrow - can anyone comment on this. I have had the car for 10,000k's and its always been the same. Otherwise it drives brill and as everyone says is a great car.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

2008 - Tango Red - Mondeo XR5T

Jack&Victor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #2
r2d2

My first thought would be buy a bluefin.

This will removal any flat spot and the car will pull hard past 5000rpm.

However it seems to be another issue. It hasnt happened on my XR5 but it could be a intermitted fault with the O2 sensor.

Just my 2 cents. I hope you get it fixed.

PS you must be a Still Game fan are you Jack and Victor.

James

Last edited by r2d2; 24-08-2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: Noticed his user name
r2d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #3
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Welcome to the forum, and no as you suspected your problems are 'not' normal.

I would be getting them to check the obvious things first, air intake, fuel delivery system and the exhaust, if either is partially blocked the car will display the symptoms you describe. I would be demanding a car to drive around in than leave the car with them until they find the problem. If there is a blockage than you are potentially doing damage every time you push the car into the 'problem' zone.

Fitting something like a Bluefin is possibly the worst advice you could take especially if there is something wrong with the cars fuel system or air / exhaust, the Bluefin could cause catastrophic damage. Not to mention the possibility of the Ford Aus Engineers finding a trace of it and scrapping your warranty!!

If your dealer won’t support you with a loan car while they fix your car than find one who will. The dealers generally don’t want your car sitting in the workshop so they won’t be offering this to you but hold your ground, there is clearly something wrong with your car, its their job to find it.

Last edited by paulie0735; 24-08-2010 at 09:55 AM.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
entheos

Welcome to the Forums mate!

Great car! and very popular...

One thing I can recommend with servicing is the 'Carbon Blast'....this blasts the injectors on the car....I run a tune on my car, and i noticed a BIG jump in power delivery on the car...RRP is about $199, but at Sinclair we do it for forum members for $150...

This was the single most effective way of enhancing my power delivery for a 'maintainence' schedule. Other than the tune of course.....but stock or tune, the difference was amazing....it's particually good if for eg, someone's used sub quality fuel (bad batch or not right Octane) or if the car has done lots of short trips..(my car was on 08 plate when i got it in 09, so probably was moved around the dock a few times and sat for a while...)

Bluefin will definitely improve your power, but without the right breathing mods (CAI and/or exhaust modifications) the inability to 'pull' abover 5000rpm won't be changed a whole lot....a little, but not significantly...overall you'll have more power, but after the initial improvement feeling wears off you'll find the same issue....turbo blowing more air, but nowhere for it to go...

Hope that helps.
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #5
warren77

Pre-bluefin: Mine pulled well over 5,000rpm.
Post-bluefin: Just gets there a hell of a lot faster!

Something is not right there. Lots of great suggestions on what you need to do.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Do the XR5T's suffer from sticky boost solenoid's and dirty throttle body's like the XR6T's? I know servicing these two little gems help to clear up hesitations, flat spots, etc
Old 24-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #7
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Do the XR5T's suffer from sticky boost solenoid's and dirty throttle body's like the XR6T's? I know servicing these two little gems help to clear up hesitations, flat spots, etc
Generally speaking they don't suffer those type of problems.

The std engine will easily spin to 6,500 so if it bogs down at 5,000 than he clearly has a problem, the car is under warranty so the last thing he needs is a tune or any other sort of modifications until the issue is sorted out, once its running properly than a bluefin will give it more go but it won't fix the problem, potentially it could make it worse.

The previous owner could have been a Sunday afternoon tinkerer, if he was than it could have any amount of problems as a result. He claims the problem was there when he bought it so something is clearly not right, the car needs to be sorted out at the dealer. He might need to hunt around though for a dealer who will spend the time to sort it out and not just blow him off.
Old 25-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Thanks for all the advice guys -
I'm working over the next few days - so will go back into Ford on Monday and ask if the foreman if he has had a response from Ford. I tried even free revving it today slowly to see where it goes to - it went to just under 6000 rpm before it held there - but not like a rev limiter on other cars where they go into the redline and the limiter cuts in and out - mine just holds it there - (5-600 short of the red line) this of course maybe normal though - just different to any other car I have had.
The other thing I read somewhere that these cars have to get a pre delivery mode removed from the ECU at PDI - sounds a bit far fetched - Anyone else heard of that one ?
Will keep you posted with any results.

Thanks Again

PS Yes I'm a big Still Game Fan - If you have never seen it - Youtube and have a look - Funniest show ever!
Old 22-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Thought I would give an update - Ford in Townsville still looking into it - the tech took mine for a spin and agreed there seems to be something wrong. He then took a Focus for a drive and said it was miles quicker than mine. He phoned me with the specs. - ie. revs = 6500rpm with rev limiter at 6850rpm - nothing like mine. Had him scratching his head - at the moment he is waiting to drive another Mondeo - seems to be the way most diags are done these days. Will post results if I ever get there!!
Old 22-09-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i am running the bluefin tune and recently had a similar thing happen to me. under acceleration, the car died a bit (flat spot or hesitation) before continuing to accelerate. this happened once in 2nd gear and again later in 3rd gear. after emailing the people from bluefin, they suggested the car could be over boosting and causing the ecu to hold things back... perhaps it could be something like this occuring to your car??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #11
entheos

The Focus stock v the mondeo stock can't really be compared....the focus will feel a stack faster.....it can be likend to a go kart vs a high performance sedan...

I don't know what the townsville dealer is checking, but as a previous member mentioned, the previous owner might've been a sunday afternoon tinkerer...one way of resetting the ECU is to remove the KAM(Keep Alive Memory) Fuse from the fusebox. I can't remember the exact fuse in the box and the xr5t forum is currently down with server issues to find it for you....but that may be part of the issue as well.

I say part, cause it sounds like something much more sinister(read:underlying) than just previous owner was a little softer on the go pedal...I'm sure the dealer will find out the issues and get them sorted for you.

Last edited by entheos; 22-09-2010 at 06:00 PM.
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
I say part, cause it sounds like something much more sinister(read:underlying) than just previous owner was a little softer on the go pedal...I'm sure the dealer will find out the issues and get them sorted for you.
When I said "tinkerer" I meant way to adventurous with their tools. Seen some people do some seriously DUMB things to turbo cars in the vain attempt to improve the factory installation.

Time to change dealers mate, this problem should have been sorted out weeks ago.
Old 23-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #13
entheos

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
When I said "tinkerer" I meant way to adventurous with their tools. Seen some people do some seriously DUMB things to turbo cars in the vain attempt to improve the factory installation.

Time to change dealers mate, this problem should have been sorted out weeks ago.
Sweet got ya....

although the sunday arvo tinkerer who drives it soft still could be a possible issue....but honestly...it could be a number of things....

Unfortunately you are too far away for me to recommend Nova Ford in Caboolture (townsville is further from Nova than Sydney is...but I would recommend getting a second opinion if the current dealer can't fault the car...
Old 04-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #14
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Default XR5 Wont rev past 6000rpm

Hi guys

Thanks for the interest and advice - I'm still no further forward.
Contacted Ford customer help who have been in touch telling me that they would get to the bottom of the problem, when though? - it was in the dealer in Ayr last week - still no further forward.

Will print out some of the ideas - the overboost tip may be worth a try!

I think because the car drives fairly normal - in saying that I would like to drive another - I at least can still use it. I'll just have to keep pestering them, I know that dealers seem to wait untill another car comes in the same so they can compare - but here in Ayr, I'm not sure its going to happen soon.

The mechanic said he was on a training course last week and would be in touch - waiting on the call!!

At least they agree there is a problem - thats a start!

Once again thanks for the replys.

Jack
Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Disconnected the battery the other night and then after a few hours re-connected it - car went a lot better revved to 6500rpm and felt much better on the road - then after a couple of km - back to normal - will give this info to Ford, who by the way have not been in touch for a couple of weeks now - very very frustrating - I am beginning to think they dont give a F--- !! Looks like the Mr nice guy approach is not working have to try another approach I think. Watch this space.
Old 28-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #16
Irtate71
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&Victor
Disconnected the battery the other night and then after a few hours re-connected it - car went a lot better revved to 6500rpm and felt much better on the road - then after a couple of km - back to normal - will give this info to Ford, who by the way have not been in touch for a couple of weeks now - very very frustrating - I am beginning to think they dont give a F--- !! Looks like the Mr nice guy approach is not working have to try another approach I think. Watch this space.
Im from townsville if you want to have a look at mine and compare. I know in townsville there are not to many mondys around.
Irtate71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #17
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Default Xr5 Fault

That would be good set my mind at rest or confirm -I can let you drive mine to compare. Ford have been no help - customer service even contacted me and more or less said they can't find the fault so I may have to live with it - couldn't beleive what I was hearing !
please call on 4783 4579 and I can arrange to come and see you.

Thanks
Jack
Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #18
Irtate71
Starter Motor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack&Victor
That would be good set my mind at rest or confirm -I can let you drive mine to compare. Ford have been no help - customer service even contacted me and more or less said they can't find the fault so I may have to live with it - couldn't beleive what I was hearing !
please call on 4783 4579 and I can arrange to come and see you.

Thanks
Jack
Not a problem mate I have just sent you a pm with my contact details
Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
Irtate71
Starter Motor

Hi Jack here is the contact details to get bluefin.
Peter James BSc.(Econ.)

Superchips New Zealand & Australia Ltd
Mobile: +64 (0)27 2757574

Office: +64 (0) 800 89 CHIPS (24477)
Email: peter@superchips.co.nz

Web: www.superchips.co.nz

www.carverexperience.co.nz

www.motorcyclebuyback.com
Rediscover the joy of the open road
Old 05-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #20
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Hi Stace - Thanks for all your help yesterday - I now have the conformation I needed to tell Ford there is a fault. Your car drives so much better than mine. Will give Ford a ring tomorrow and get it booked - will keep you posted.

Jack
Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #21
jjmmav
Starter Motor

Jack,
I have had this exact issue with another car, an Alfa.
The car would run perfect and without any clue there was a problem until i hit about 5000rpm too, then feel like it was limited by the computer etc.
The problem part was the air flow sensor, mass - sensor.
Someone mentioned it to me, i changed it and problem was instantly gone.
Something to think about, Mav
jjmmav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2010, 12:27 AM   #22
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Unhappy XR5 Wont rev past 6000rpm

Hi - Been in at Ford in Townsville since Monday - they found that the fuel pressure was low by approx 100KPa - approx 15psi and replaced the fuel pump on Wed. still hasn't fixed the problem - waiting further response after the weekend. They have given me a Fiesta to drive about in - I think it mght be a ploy - mines will feel like a rocket ship after driving this thing for a week. At least finally I am getting Ford to look at it - and they do admit there is a fault with the car. Fingers crossed get it back next week!

Thanks for the post Mav - certainly sounds very similar - not sure why there diagnostic machine isn't picking up any faults though. Will post the diagnosis as soon as I find out what it is. Jack

Last edited by Jack&Victor; 19-12-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: addition
Old 23-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #23
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Default Re: Mondeo Xr5 Turbo

Hey - 14 months later and a total of 13 weeks off the road - the last 7 of which Ford took the car to Brisbane from Townsville - Ford have told me they have resolved the problem - wiring to the O2 faulty. Hopefully get car back next week (week 8). What an experience - never again !!!!
Had the customer survey guy on the phone yesterday asking how I felt my dealings with the local Ford dealer in Townsville were going (he was un-aware of my on going issue with the car) My answers - Flat zeros all round, I hope nobody has to go through this crap with a car maufacturer. Anyway hopefully get my car next week and feel something that has never been there since I have owned the car - 162kw
Old 23-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #24
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow. Ford AU at their finest. I cannot believe that this was so difficult to sort out. Even if you don't know what you're doing, fault finding by substitution should work. Did they ever put it on a dyno?

Anyway, enjoy your car at last! What compensation are you getting from Ford?
Old 23-10-2011, 11:01 AM   #25
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Wow shocking! Hope it solves ur issue!

No mods yet.
Samtheband is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2011, 12:39 PM   #26
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow, i hope it comes back amazing. I wouldnt put up with that type of service. you have been far more patient than a lot of people. Maybe they should consider extending the warranty, given its now been off the road for a significant period of time....... just saying..
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #27
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Hi everyone - thanks for your input.
Received the car back - and yes it seems to be going fine - performance much better, revving properly and much smoother and more power.
Compensation! must be joking (mind you they did do the 45k and 60k services for free - but who knows what they have done - no receipts for any of the work. When I collected the car I was given the keys and pointed in the direction of my car - with no explanation - I hate dealing with Ford in Townsville - customer service is hopeless - certainly towards me anyway. I had to book it in for the rear wiper and washer because it hasn't worked since getting it back - fuse was missing out of the fuse box under dash - new one didn't fix and one under hood ok - they are looking at it on the 20th Dec. I do have extended warranty with the car and will be looking for somewhere else in town to carry out the service work - if someone can recommend anywhere that would be nice. Thanks again.
Jack
Anyone viewed the Still Game clips on You Tube yet?
Old 16-12-2011, 11:27 PM   #28
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Compensation sounds the go !!
OMG, over twelve months to fix something that might take (at most) a couple of days of debugging in the workshop.
Pursue compo and extended warranty.
Document your experiences, and suggest taking it to consumer affairs as the 'product was not fit for purpose' (and be prepared to do just that). Don't be put off by nil response from Ford Customer Service - write to Ford Australia President and CEO, Bob Graziano. Nothing like a bomb from the top to stir up the pigeons below.
Seems there are certainly some very weak links in the dealer network, which reflect poorly on those who do truly represent the company in a professional manner.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #29
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Angry Re: Mondeo Xr5 Turbo

Not Happy - Again - Away to find a wall to beat my head against!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by Jack&Victor; 21-12-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Old 21-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #30
Jack&Victor
Starter Motor

Merry Christmas everyone.
Had the car in yesterday for the rear wiper - dropped it off and then about 4 hours later they phoned and asked for my second set of keys because they couldn't get the car to start - new one on me - dropped the second set of keys off and tried it myself - car would not start - doorlocking, radio,global opening all working but nothing from the start button - left it with them and recieved a call later on in the afternoon saying it was going to be pushed into the workshop and they would have a go at reprogramming the keys. They called first thing in the morning and said the reprogramming worked and the car was good to go. I asked about the wiper fault - which is all that was in for, they said they would go and look at it for me! 6 hours later - we can't find the fault and will have to contact Ford technical - Here we go again!!!!
I think my car is Jinxed - So far Carmichael Ford in Townsville have had a 0% success rate at fixing any thing on my car - I seriously think it is just to complex a car for them to deal with - Its funny you can love a car but when you have no service back up it's not worth having it. Think my next car will be something a bit older that I can fix myself........