Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #31
wusyc

If you are impressed by the Mondeo XR5, i suggest you try out both XR5 and Titanium TDCi.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:10 PM   #32
ian b

I would suggest that the cost to upspec the XR6T interior to match the XR5T would push the price too high to justify the additional increase in performance. Just my opinion as I did consider the XR6T after having an XR6 with the leather and upgraded sound system etc. The Mondeo seemed better value overall.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:40 PM   #33
FordFan1

Default Test Drove Mondeo XR5

Took the Mondeo XR5 Turbo for a quick spin today. I have to say it was a very classy car all round. Super smooth, handled nicely and slightly lighter steering than Falcon. Obviously you cannot compare performance but the Mondeo is adequate without being exhirating I guess. The interior was fantastic and its sealed the deal for me. If I can get an ok price on my XR6 Turbo she is going to make way for a Mondeo XR5.

Cheers.
FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I cant work out why you would downgrade just for a better interior??

The XR5 is a nice car but at the end of the day it lacks in a few areas where the XR6T runs rings around it and with the cost i suspect for you to change over I can't see the benefit. What are they going to give you trade? $30 - 32K?
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #35
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Its all personal preference really. Both are great cars.

IMO the XR6t is a downgrade from the XR5 mondeo, but thats why I bought the mondeo. Different people would have spent their money on the falcon.

And don't put down the XR5's performance. Yes in stock tune it won't set the world on fire in a straight line, but around the bends it will leave the falcon.

And there's quite a bit of upgrade gear for the Mondeo as well if thats an interest. Mine is currently putting out 165 KW at the wheels, which isn't massive compared to the xr6t but its enough to put a smile on the face.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #36
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
but around the bends it will leave the falcon.
The XR5 Mondeo is a beautiful car and the value you get both finish and feature wise is arguably better than the Falcon XR6T. The closest Ford equivalent IMO is the G6ET, not the XR6T. I say this after my experience with my sister’s recent purchase of the Titanium Diesel version. It's absolutely stunning inside.

But when it come to performance, including going around corners I think you might be either over estimating the XR5 Mondeo's ability, or underestimating the FG XR6T’s. The FG XR’s are fast around corners and straight lines, very fast. Their rear wheel drive architecture and chassis balance allows them to use all that power and more importantly torque, very effectively.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #37
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Just speaking from experience.
A mate has the XR6t, and he couldn't keep up through the bends. On the straight though he quickly filled my rear view mirror.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #38
FordFan1

Its a tough choice I love the performance of the XR6 Turbo and the car does everything I need perfectly. However I just think the extra kit and styling of the XR5 Turbo is superior. I am worried however that I will be missing the power. Its a tough call to say whether I'd be downgrading or upgrading. I think these cars cater for different folks. My wife works with and around alot of people who earn a bit and they mostly drive, BMW's, Jags etc. Alot of these people would never consider my car, however they've taken notice of the Mondeo and some have asked my wife the resident Ford nut at her work about them.

I'd never dared ask for a trade in price as I knew the offer would be a joke, so will attempt to sell privately. If no one is interested no big deal I'll just hang onto the XR6 Turbo.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #39
FordFan1

Question for LRSedan, what mods have you done to get 165kw at the wheels?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #40
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan1
Question for LRSedan, what mods have you done to get 165kw at the wheels?
- Graham Goode Racing Cold Air Intake
- Bluefin flash tune
- Motorcade RIP induction pipe
- High flow cat & mufflers.

Thats my only mods that will effect power output.

Car dynoed by www.tunehouse.com.au

Im just waiting for an intercooler and a turbo back exhaust. Should be getting up near the 180kw at the wheels then.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM   #41
mighty-mon

LRsedan

Is the Bluefin a basic tune or is it considered a "stage 2" given the other mods??.

I am looking for a tune that can work with all the mods you have too, but wish to have a custom tune-able Flash which im told by all tuners in Perth that it does not exist. DS are working on it, but its taking forever!!

What intercooler have you found that fits the Mondeo???
mighty-mon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #42
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Just speaking from experience.
A mate has the XR6t, and he couldn't keep up through the bends. On the straight though he quickly filled my rear view mirror.
Was the XR6 T a manual??

XR6 T will run rings around an XR5T if equiped with Manual gearbox and capable driver.. Specially when there are hills involved..

Plus its front wheel drive...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #43
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty-mon
LRsedan

Is the Bluefin a basic tune or is it considered a "stage 2" given the other mods??.

I am looking for a tune that can work with all the mods you have too, but wish to have a custom tune-able Flash which im told by all tuners in Perth that it does not exist. DS are working on it, but its taking forever!!

What intercooler have you found that fits the Mondeo???
I've only got stage 1 bluefin. I wouldn't hold your breath for DS. Jarrad said it would be here over a year ago, and still nothing.

Stage 1 bluefin works great with my mods. The boost is consistent, and the power graph is nice and smooth and builds all the way to 6500rpm.

I briefly had stage 2, but it wasn't a good re-map it had a problem with misfiring on occasion. Bluefin only provide stage 1 for now and are looking for a development car in the UK to make more stages.

As for the intercooler, I've have had no success in finding one yet so Im still looking at options. I bought and tried to fit a focus XR5 cooler, but the don't fit due to AC hard pipes and a few other snags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfiipursuit
Was the XR6 T a manual??

XR6 T will run rings around an XR5T if equiped with Manual gearbox and capable driver.. Specially when there are hills involved..

Plus its front wheel drive...
Yes it was a manual.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:47 PM   #44
mighty-mon

Im so tempted to get the Bluefin as I badly want to feel the extra booooost. Your right about DS it is taking a long time and im not sure how much longer i can wait. Its killing me to know the extra power is only a matter of a tune. Exchange rate is good at the moment. Hmm what to do ....wait for Jared or get Bluefin.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #45
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Well DS have gone to a new platform, so it may be even longer now. DS are no longer using the SCT platform.

Talking to custom tuners here in OZ, they can't do the mondeo because they work off the SCT platform, and nothing exists for the mondeo as you know. So custom tune is out of the question for now using the factory ECU.

Bluefin is a great product, and there is also the code: Red / wolf tuner for the mondeo as well. But I haven't heard anyone using it yet.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #46
mighty-mon

Thanks for the info. If I was to go down the Bluefin road where is the best place to purchase same??
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #47
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

I got mine direct from Superchips / bluefin in the UK.

www.superchips.co.uk

Im unsure of any local suppliers.