Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 25-08-2014, 10:08 AM   #121
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Re: What do you consider to be a fast 400m time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
Any b series running sub 12 is impressive, you should be happy with yours, don't chase faster ETs.
If we're to believe most of the posts on this thread it isn't a 'fast car' though because it isn't sub-11s

I personally think it is, but as I was saying earlier it seems like 'fast' is an ever moving goal post.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 02:54 PM   #122
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
If we're to believe most of the posts on this thread it isn't a 'fast car' though because it isn't sub-11s

I personally think it is, but as I was saying earlier it seems like 'fast' is an ever moving goal post.
I think its the relative ease with which "fast" can be achieved compared to a bygone era.

These days - a tune only F6 or 335 car will go deep into the 11's flat 12's
If I had to get those numbers in my old XE ESP - it would be heavy duty engine , trans and diff mods , and then would most likely be a pig to drive on a regular basis with fouling plugs , no aircon and a fuel bill that would rival our national credit card debt.

So keeping things in perspective - a "fast" car these days would definitely be something that can transcend a tune only car and is running into the high 10's - low 11's as it would require more than just a "tune" to get it there. Injectors , fuel pump , pulley size change , exhaust , intercooler upgrades , tyres etc etc.

I guess where I'm coming from is that it needs to be quicker than a stocker with just a tune as there are so many of them getting around lately. XR6T , F6 , GS315 SC and GT335 SC. Plenty of 12 sec cars on our streets and at the strip.

so - IMHO - if your ride is in one of the brackets below - it probably goes something like this......

14 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that golf GTi about to overtake
13 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that M series 135I beemer nipping at your heels
12 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that stocker G6ET with the granpa driving - he's in a hurry and he's just overtaken a GTS...
11 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror and check out the front of that ferrai - F40 - beautiful - wish he'd catch up so I can check out the rest of the car....

10 bracket - gee - that Koenigsegg has a bit of grunt - side by side - can probably stop faster than i can though......whoooooooaaaaaaaa

9 bracket - Hmmm - I reckon If my reaction time was abit quicker - Mr Bugatti Veyron would be in trouble , meh - I can fit more junk in my Falcon trunk anyways. LMAO........

All just a bit of fun - but seriously folks - any street car in street trim capable of consistent low 11's and under is a weapon in my book.....
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #123
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluey-GT View Post
I think its the relative ease with which "fast" can be achieved compared to a bygone era.

These days - a tune only F6 or 335 car will go deep into the 11's flat 12's
If I had to get those numbers in my old XE ESP - it would be heavy duty engine , trans and diff mods , and then would most likely be a pig to drive on a regular basis with fouling plugs , no aircon and a fuel bill that would rival our national credit card debt.

So keeping things in perspective - a "fast" car these days would definitely be something that can transcend a tune only car and is running into the high 10's - low 11's as it would require more than just a "tune" to get it there. Injectors , fuel pump , pulley size change , exhaust , intercooler upgrades , tyres etc etc.

I guess where I'm coming from is that it needs to be quicker than a stocker with just a tune as there are so many of them getting around lately. XR6T , F6 , GS315 SC and GT335 SC. Plenty of 12 sec cars on our streets and at the strip.

so - IMHO - if your ride is in one of the brackets below - it probably goes something like this......

14 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that golf GTi about to overtake
13 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that M series 135I beemer nipping at your heels
12 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that stocker G6ET with the granpa driving - he's in a hurry and he's just overtaken a GTS...
11 bracket - glance your eye in the rear view mirror and check out the front of that ferrai - F40 - beautiful - wish he'd catch up so I can check out the rest of the car....

10 bracket - gee - that Koenigsegg has a bit of grunt - side by side - can probably stop faster than i can though......whoooooooaaaaaaaa

9 bracket - Hmmm - I reckon If my reaction time was abit quicker - Mr Bugatti Veyron would be in trouble , meh - I can fit more junk in my Falcon trunk anyways. LMAO........

All just a bit of fun - but seriously folks - any street car in street trim capable of consistent low 11's and under is a weapon in my book.....
I think at anything under 14 you would "want to glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that" flashing blue light.
Old 25-08-2014, 04:21 PM   #124
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
I think at anything under 14 you would "want to glance your eye in the rear view mirror for that" flashing blue light.
Yes Olbucko - and as mentioned - all just a bit of hypothetical chinwag for a bit of humour. Not advocating street dragging / racing in any way , shape or form.......
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2014, 12:34 AM   #125
prasac
Banned

been involved with a few 9 & 8-sec car builds over the years. You'd be surprised at what can be achieved. The Capri we have is at the top end and has cost $85k over 25 years that includes painting twice, 2 x 302 Windsors and the 4L turbo plus now the freshen up of it, has run 100's of low-mid 8-sec passes, we cruise it everywhere drives just like a daily from back in the 70's

We just finished another streeter which will be another 8-sec car, all up there's about $35k worth of gear gone into the car. You pick and choose the right car/combo you can get away with it cheap.

Any car running 10's is super fast, if ur running those types of numbers then you got a mega quick car on ur hands.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #126
RynoF6
Starter Motor

To the original question, fast or quick lol, flame suit on.
Fast is the MPH
Quick is the ET

Sub 13 is quick, yep stock turbo falcon of any model is.
RynoF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #127
ash68

Hey diillonm 70000 is nuts my ba xr8 ute with a stock engine on nos and six speed ran low elevens hundreds of times .still stock engine 4speed manual runs 10.60s .for under 70000 you can by and fit a sonnys 729 ford engine and drive it on the street .send it to Dynomite.performance .im bias but I reckon he is the best .and he has records to prove it .
ash68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2014, 09:55 PM   #128
ash68

$70000on a 5.4 is ridiculous
Old 05-12-2014, 11:04 PM   #129
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Fast car. 11.99 and below. Anything above that is a family taxi.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 01:13 PM   #130
stevanford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford View Post
image]image[/URL]

This car ran a 12.9 standard. It has now run an 11.4 second pass. Driven everyday (not always to work) with Ipod connectivity, bluetooth, standard 6 speed auto, electric seats, power windows, full weight with the spare in the boot. Almost gets 500kms to a single tank, and to top it off, I have only been pulled over twice in the nearly three years of owning this car (Bought it when I was 23, now 26) and they were both at RBTs.
It will be getting an E85 tune done to it next week so I can get my 10 second pass.
To top it off, my grandmother has driven the car several times with no problems.

Car has now gone 10.74 down the quarter mile on E85. Full weight, standard stall converter, standard 2.73 diff gears and with the spare tyre in the back. When I run it on 98, it gets near 450kms to a tank otherwise, the United servo is 5 minutes down the road ready to fill it up with some E85 goodness.
stevanford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #131
XR8menace
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash68 View Post
Hey diillonm 70000 is nuts my ba xr8 ute with a stock engine on nos and six speed ran low elevens hundreds of times .still stock engine 4speed manual runs 10.60s .for under 70000 you can by and fit a sonnys 729 ford engine and drive it on the street .send it to Dynomite.performance .im bias but I reckon he is the best .and he has records to prove it .
It cost Gup over a $120k to have a Sonny 727 fitted to his VE by HighTourqe. I reckon it would be at least $75K just to get the engine to OZ..

$70K on a 5.4 is ridiculus been there done that, Built engine, 2 blower combos, Fuel system, 4 clutches and a **** load of fun had!

Corey
XR8menace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #132
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well low 12's @112 mph for under $15'000 including purchase price and a solid 13years service.Oh and nat asp and still 6cyl powered.Carried its new engine box and diff home and I did 98% of the build.

It WILL run 11's based on mph alone and is about 400 times cooler than any factory tweaked family box car imo. But now days people cant build fast cars they just pay someone to do it for them.However making something fast people say wont be is alot more interesting to me.
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 06:10 PM   #133
prasac
Banned

we are doing a build at the moment, 8's for $20k, it's still a street car. We decided to upgrade bits as will be a low 8 maybe even 7-sec street car in future, which added a bit over $3k onto the cost, this is a love job, so to replicate it if you can't do the work yourself would add $10k in labour. Still 8's for $22-$23k including car purchase etc not bad. Anothere $15k thrown at it, for bigger turbo and built motor. be good enough to get into 7's, not bad for under $50k
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 08:04 PM   #134
XR8menace
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac View Post
we are doing a build at the moment, 8's for $20k, it's still a street car. We decided to upgrade bits as will be a low 8 maybe even 7-sec street car in future, which added a bit over $3k onto the cost, this is a love job, so to replicate it if you can't do the work yourself would add $10k in labour. Still 8's for $22-$23k including car purchase etc not bad. Anothere $15k thrown at it, for bigger turbo and built motor. be good enough to get into 7's, not bad for under $50k
Yep pick the right car it can be done, and as you said doing it yourself certainly helps! But if you are going to try and do an 8sec car with a BA/BF/FG 5.4 that you still want to drive on the street its a different story, bloody heavy things...

I saved a bunch this time around with the Coyote build doing as much as possible myself. Still cost me a touch more than $23k though....
XR8menace is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM   #135
ash68

Doesn't matter how fast it is as long as it's FORD .
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #136
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8menace View Post
Yep pick the right car it can be done, and as you said doing it yourself certainly helps! But if you are going to try and do an 8sec car with a BA/BF/FG 5.4 that you still want to drive on the street its a different story, bloody heavy things...

I saved a bunch this time around with the Coyote build doing as much as possible myself. Still cost me a touch more than $23k though....
exactly, right combo right car it's doable.

A BA-FG would be dear, I did the math ages ago, wouldn't see much change of $60k, that was getting a car cheeeeaaap. but, the weight turned me off.