Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #61
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Default Re: TRP Racing Ford Falcon XR6T runs 9.1@159mph, update 8.48@165mph.

Thanks for that Paully
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #62
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace
Thanks for that Paully
the interviewer is a forum member here and writer for Street Machine. would love to see Scott do a write up, or even Arby do one for his Urban Warfare column. the hypo DOHC small cube engines are coming out to play
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #63
CYC06T

Hey all - a tough weekend at Jambo as far as times went unfortunately. We might have got a step too far ahead of ourselves with the car set-up and it didnt end up panning out. We only managed a best time of 8.7@161mph and had launch problems across all 6 passes we got over the weekend.

There were some positives though, we kinda know a few more areas of what not to do and have a little bit more insight into how to better manage the launches to try and get some consistency there.

We have a little bit of work to do to fix up the roof where the sunroof blew out, and then when we come out next I will be jumping behind the wheel to start steering the car. The engine is working well and we have plenty of power - so our focus is all on the launch and first half-track side of things to try and improve.

On the flip side - the car generated plenty of interest at Jambo and even though we didnt get to show its true potential on the track it was awesome to meet and hang out with a heap of fellow enthusiasts.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #64
justa6
justa6

Well not all bad. You've learnt more about the car and it band home straight .

I saw gt on the trailer heading south on the Monday. Was pretty excited ha ha
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #65
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverxr
Well not all bad. You've learnt more about the car and it band home straight .

I saw gt on the trailer heading south on the Monday. Was pretty excited ha ha
Yep - all true. It was a big goal to make sure the car came home in one piece so that I can get behind the wheel as soon as possible. Job done on that front.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
prasac
Banned

takes a while to get sorted, plus testing on different tracks, different temps, track stickiness etc makes things harder. one day u leave the line with 15psi, the next u can only use 12psi. same as tyre pressures. people think its an easy thing to get sorted, i wish it was. especially hard for the small tyre guys on 10.5's etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:32 PM   #67
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
takes a while to get sorted, plus testing on different tracks, different temps, track stickiness etc makes things harder. one day u leave the line with 15psi, the next u can only use 12psi. same as tyre pressures. people think its an easy thing to get sorted, i wish it was. especially hard for the small tyre guys on 10.5's etc.
Yeah thats the truth. If we leave at anything over 12psi we seem to just blow off the tyres. On the flip side if you pull too much boost out it just lays over.

We tried going taller on the tyres - 29.5x10.5 MTs, but it didnt really do the job. We had the soft wall slicks and the car just seemed too heavy for them on the kind of boost you needed to run to get them to hook up. We ran the 8.7 on those, but it was very sketchy at the end of the track at speed.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #68
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYC06T
Yeah thats the truth. If we leave at anything over 12psi we seem to just blow off the tyres. On the flip side if you pull too much boost out it just lays over.

We tried going taller on the tyres - 29.5x10.5 MTs, but it didnt really do the job. We had the soft wall slicks and the car just seemed too heavy for them on the kind of boost you needed to run to get them to hook up. We ran the 8.7 on those, but it was very sketchy at the end of the track at speed.
we had the same issues, 13psi meant a 1.5 50' but 14.5psi means a 1.28 60' just the smaller variant but it affects it alot. yeah, u might just be a tad too heavy for the SS, they work well on a lighter car 3200lbs. what about a 28 x 11.5, can u fit them under? im guessing not, or u were racing in Outlaw 10.5 we ran the soft wall also, car is lighter than urs (3100lbs) went to just the regular slick funnily 60' improved and bit more consistent.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #69
CYC06T

Quote:
we had the same issues, 13psi meant a 1.5 50' but 14.5psi means a 1.28 60' just the smaller variant but it affects it alot. yeah, u might just be a tad too heavy for the SS, they work well on a lighter car 3200lbs. what about a 28 x 11.5, can u fit them under? im guessing not, or u were racing in Outlaw 10.5 we ran the soft wall also, car is lighter than urs (3100lbs) went to just the regular slick funnily 60' improved and bit more consistent.
Yeah - it makes a big difference and at the moment we dont have it dialled in so that you can get right up on the converter and let it go. It is a bit of hoping for the best at the moment but we made some real inroads into how best to coordinate the AMS and gas on the transbrake to get it going more consistently. Unfortunately we ran out of passes and Jambo isnt really the place to do testing either.....

We could fit a 28 x 11.5 - I know thats what the PETMOD citric falcon runs. We were racing in modified compact so the tyre size wasnt a restriction. It is a nice comfy fit with the 10.5's though. We could try the 29.5 x 10.5W tyres with the thicker side wall (which is what our 28's are).

Or conversely we can look at taking some weight out - which we will probably have to do anyways.

Still plenty of work to go. Its all good fun though. Atleast we have kept a straight car. A handful of guys had big issues with the walls up at Jambo - especially the Turbowerx VL which ran us in the first round and had a big impact. Here hoping it stays that way (touch wood)!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:07 PM   #70
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Yeah - it makes a big difference and at the moment we dont have it dialled in so that you can get right up on the converter and let it go. It is a bit of hoping for the best at the moment but we made some real inroads into how best to coordinate the AMS and gas on the transbrake to get it going more consistently. Unfortunately we ran out of passes and Jambo isnt really the place to do testing either.....

We could fit a 28 x 11.5 - I know thats what the PETMOD citric falcon runs. We were racing in modified compact so the tyre size wasnt a restriction. It is a nice comfy fit with the 10.5's though. We could try the 29.5 x 10.5W tyres with the thicker side wall (which is what our 28's are).

Or conversely we can look at taking some weight out - which we will probably have to do anyways.

Still plenty of work to go. Its all good fun though. Atleast we have kept a straight car. A handful of guys had big issues with the walls up at Jambo - especially the Turbowerx VL which ran us in the first round and had a big impact. Here hoping it stays that way (touch wood)!
thats the fun of it, getting it all sorted some weight out of it will definitely be a good thing. heavier the car more wear and tear on the motor. does the gas turn off at a certain rpm or once the transbrake is released? what brand converter do u run? u gonna be out at the Track Championship at WSID Oct 14,15?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #71
CYC06T

Quote:
thats the fun of it, getting it all sorted some weight out of it will definitely be a good thing. heavier the car more wear and tear on the motor. does the gas turn off at a certain rpm or once the transbrake is released? what brand converter do u run? u gonna be out at the Track Championship at WSID Oct 14,15?
I know - but managing ones own patience is probably the hardest part
The gas is only hooked up to the transbrake at this stage, so once you let go of the button the gas is off. TRP hooked me up with the converter and to be honest Ive never asked them who built it. It is the same guy who built the converter for BOOSTN their sponsored VL which runs 7.70's.

Unfortunately I have some travel for work over the next two weeks so the earliest I can bring the car back out would be the test n tune at the end of October.

Hopefully we can sort out a way to fix the roof in the next couple of weeks so that we are ready to rce when I am back.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM   #72
prasac
Banned

whats d turbo rated to, would be out of puff pretty soon? it'd have to be making around 1300hp at the moment? exceptional numbers especially as it's being pumped thru a race box.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:48 PM   #73
CYC06T

Quote:
whats d turbo rated to, would be out of puff pretty soon? it'd have to be making around 1300hp at the moment? exceptional numbers especially as it's being pumped thru a race box.
Im pretty sure the turbo is rated to 1400hp. We havent really tried to turn it up much yet as we still havent got the current power dialled in. If we can get it a little more sorted and run some consistent low 8sec times then we may turn it up and see if we can go 7's. That would be cool, but it is getting a bit ahead of ourselves to be thinking that just yet.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:08 PM   #74
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Epic work guys .. keep it up
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 PM   #75
CYC06T

Quote:
Epic work guys .. keep it up
Thanks mate. Thats certainly what we will be trying to do.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 PM   #76
dieseltrain79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont TRP use some guy out of Middle Dural ?

Exceptional work on the work so far by the way

1991 Toyota Soarer TT - 11.72 @ 116.7mph

2004 Ford Escape XLT V6 - Family Ride .
dieseltrain79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #77
prasac
Banned

hope to see it in the 7's being a Sydney guy i like to see the Syd cars get up there there is a guy in WA Errol Quartermaine, he has run a few 7's with a BA engine with 2 GT35's in his Torana. he has it in a full tube Falcon now has run a 7.80 best i think, no video of that pass though. not sure if u have seen or heard of the car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAt0-03ZeYA

might be time for a yank converter. Neal Chance, Coan, PTC and Pro-Torque lead the way in turbo technology. the Aussie converters just don't have the R&D that the US guys get. we went from taking 8-secs to spool to about 2-secs. lil 4L V8 spooling up 2 x GT35R's with 1.06 backs is not an easy task but since the change. on the 2-step by the 2nd amber, has even cut as good as a .200 on a Pro Tree. i know Vince has played around with some Neal Chance stuff also, he was spooling the 42R without NOS and improved 60's.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:22 AM   #78
CYC06T

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltrain79
Dont TRP use some guy out of Middle Dural ?

Exceptional work on the work so far by the way
Im not sure - they us e a few guys for different things.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 AM   #79
CYC06T

Quote:
hope to see it in the 7's being a Sydney guy i like to see the Syd cars get up there there is a guy in WA Errol Quartermaine, he has run a few 7's with a BA engine with 2 GT35's in his Torana. he has it in a full tube Falcon now has run a 7.80 best i think, no video of that pass though. not sure if u have seen or heard of the car http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAt0-03ZeYA

might be time for a yank converter. Neal Chance, Coan, PTC and Pro-Torque lead the way in turbo technology. the Aussie converters just don't have the R&D that the US guys get. we went from taking 8-secs to spool to about 2-secs. lil 4L V8 spooling up 2 x GT35R's with 1.06 backs is not an easy task but since the change. on the 2-step by the 2nd amber, has even cut as good as a .200 on a Pro Tree. i know Vince has played around with some Neal Chance stuff also, he was spooling the 42R without NOS and improved 60's.
Yeah I have been keeping an eye on Errol's car. I imagine if we threw our current setup in a full tube chassis we would see some pretty cool times. Maybe someday down the track eh.

As for converters, maybe. So far we dont have any major dramas getting her up oin the converter. We were able to cut some good lights at Jambo in that race format. My main aim at the moment is to just get behind the wheel and start getting used to the car and getting up to the times I want to as quickly as possible. Hopefully it will only take a small number of meets to get across it and be in a position to decide whether to turn it up a bit more. We did talk with Neal Chance a bit about the converter but it wasnt as easy a job as getting something sorted locally so we could go racing.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM   #80
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Yeah I have been keeping an eye on Errol's car. I imagine if we threw our current setup in a full tube chassis we would see some pretty cool times. Maybe someday down the track eh.

As for converters, maybe. So far we dont have any major dramas getting her up oin the converter. We were able to cut some good lights at Jambo in that race format. My main aim at the moment is to just get behind the wheel and start getting used to the car and getting up to the times I want to as quickly as possible. Hopefully it will only take a small number of meets to get across it and be in a position to decide whether to turn it up a bit more. We did talk with Neal Chance a bit about the converter but it wasnt as easy a job as getting something sorted locally so we could go racing.
it's good having someone like Dom etc drive the car first. many years experience, they know what to look and listen for. get the car setup nicely for u to jump in. what's the quickest thing u have raced beforehand?

with the right converter u might be able to get her up without the NOS. the problem we have is being a V8, although its only a 4L we can't run NOS even to spool up, ur lucky in that respect

our experience with Chance was very easy, sent him the converter (he had never done a Lexus-Powerglide hybrid so we sent him ours), he took out all the old bits and put his bits in cost US$800. went from 9.4@147 1.42 60', to 9.0@151 1.34 60' picked up alot more torque. when i spoke with Marty it was quick and easy, took 3 weeks from the day i sent it, to day we got it back. i gave him bugger all info just rpm, power, boost etc, we got it back and it was perfect, we were quite shocked. the Aussie converter we had was sent back 3 times and we got slugged a few hundred dollars each time. even Vince was shocked, how spot on they got it
Old 07-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #81
CYC06T

Quote:
it's good having someone like Dom etc drive the car first. many years experience, they know what to look and listen for. get the car setup nicely for u to jump in. what's the quickest thing u have raced beforehand?

with the right converter u might be able to get her up without the NOS. the problem we have is being a V8, although its only a 4L we can't run NOS even to spool up, ur lucky in that respect

our experience with Chance was very easy, sent him the converter (he had never done a Lexus-Powerglide hybrid so we sent him ours), he took out all the old bits and put his bits in cost US$800. went from 9.4@147 1.42 60', to 9.0@151 1.34 60' picked up alot more torque. when i spoke with Marty it was quick and easy, took 3 weeks from the day i sent it, to day we got it back. i gave him bugger all info just rpm, power, boost etc, we got it back and it was perfect, we were quite shocked. the Aussie converter we had was sent back 3 times and we got slugged a few hundred dollars each time. even Vince was shocked, how spot on they got it
Yeah - that is true. Dom and Rob have been really great with working to try and make sure the car has the basics covered. It is also good that there is still work to do and I will get to participate in that as well. The last car I drove was the falcon when it was more in street trim. It was running high 10's/low 11's, so a fair way from what we are doing now.

We had a similar story with Neal Chance, we new we would need to send them a converter from here to be able to either build a new one or replace the internals. That would be a next step, as it was just a bit more hassle and there were still a few unknowns as far as fitting up the powerglide we got off them and sorting out a bellhousing and adaptor plate etc, so we went with a known entity that was local and had proven to do a good job with the VL.

After seeing the quality and value for money of their glide, and how easy Rob Campisi made it to get the glide here, we were also surprised at just how good their gear was. It is nice to have a range of options available to us now.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #82
Road Games

Champ any possibility of some close shots of the thermostat housing and how the cooling system breathes ??

e-mail if you prefer.. grout filled block perhaps?

Any engine shots would be appreciated for my own learning
Old 07-10-2011, 12:24 PM   #83
CYC06T

Quote:
Champ any possibility of some close shots of the thermostat housing and how the cooling system breathes ??

e-mail if you prefer.. grout filled block perhaps?

Any engine shots would be appreciated for my own learning
The few pics that Plazmaman took when they were hooking up some new gear are attached earlier in this thread. They are all I have at the moment. I hope it helps.

Yep - the block is grout filled for strength and safety.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #84
Road Games

Sweet .. thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #85
prasac
Banned

the Neal Trans gearboxes are great, we went the same way for the Capri straight thru Campo. for my car we just bought the bits and pieces and i had Norm @ Northmead Auto Centre slap it together as i already had a case n bellhousing. $4000 for the internals of a 3000hp gearbox is insane to build d same box here ur looking at $8k minimum.

who does the adapters n bellhousing for the Barras? is it Dellow?

just send Chance a crappy old converter they CAD it and make one. they did that for our converter, now they have it available if they build one again. i know Neal Trans gets the Chance converters also, his prices are great. i paid a little over $2500 for my 10'' bolt together delivered. to order one thru here i have heard guys paying over $3500.

ahhh the block is already filled, guess someone is looking to push over 1500hp in the future
Old 08-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #86
CYC06T

Quote:
the Neal Trans gearboxes are great, we went the same way for the Capri straight thru Campo. for my car we just bought the bits and pieces and i had Norm @ Northmead Auto Centre slap it together as i already had a case n bellhousing. $4000 for the internals of a 3000hp gearbox is insane to build d same box here ur looking at $8k minimum.

who does the adapters n bellhousing for the Barras? is it Dellow?

just send Chance a crappy old converter they CAD it and make one. they did that for our converter, now they have it available if they build one again. i know Neal Trans gets the Chance converters also, his prices are great. i paid a little over $2500 for my 10'' bolt together delivered. to order one thru here i have heard guys paying over $3500.

ahhh the block is already filled, guess someone is looking to push over 1500hp in the future
Currently I am using a Dellows bellhousing for the box. It is the one we were using from my previous C9. We modified it a little bit for clearance etc. but it is pretty strong. It was easier than getting another bellhousing and starting again. We tried the standard ford one first, but it cracked up badly after one meeting so was never going to be up to the task.

Yeah - prices are much better sourcing direct from the states whenever we can. It was just a timing thing in the end which took us in the direction we have currently gone.

As for the block, firstly it was a safety thing so we could make sure it was as strong as possible. If it gives us some room to screw a bit more power in down the track then it is a bonus.

I am heaps looking forward to getting out again and getting behind the wheel. The wait is painful, but I am sure it will be worth it.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #87
prasac
Banned

Quote:
I am heaps looking forward to getting out again and getting behind the wheel. The wait is painful, but I am sure it will be worth it.
i'm sure it will be. it'd be hard watching someone else drive a car u spent ur hard-earned on. at least now u got the car pretty well sorted and u can go out and have some fun
Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 PM   #88
QIK1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done Phil, i was there at Jambo & looked like yas were havin fun gettin it off the line but looked & sounded really strong once ya got goin.

The next big step is sitting in the drivers seat & the most exciting i bet. I'm about to go down the same track with gettin Kyle to steer the car while we're still settin it up but im already gettin antzy to have a crack myself.
Full weight, IRS, Pump E85, 17in Radials

[/CENTER]
QIK1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:04 PM   #89
sideways82
loving the turbo

I never thought you would be fright John, I've seen you sideways at half track on the Mickey Thompsons before
12.48@113.92 with 277rwkw
12.27@119.1 with 320rwkw
sideways82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #90
Road Games

I think my screaming put him off when i was riding shotgun....