Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 PM   #61
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
I have driven on the street with MT streets and was very scary to say the least, spun in all gears with about half a centimeter of throttle, bacically a accident waiting to happen.
Maybe so Wade but mine is an N/A 6 and i dont always venture out if raining ( i used to have a spool remember) agree /disagree dont people have better things to do then argue on a forum ?
Obviously not , and sorry Tony i cannot provide D.O.T proof either because someone needed them more than i did..
Maybe like Wade says they will end up around a tree and justice will be served!

You guys tried them and say NO!

I drove a Torana with a trans brake and it didnt spin the wheels with a 1.6 60ft on its way to a 10.4 et
Thats what made my mind up to buy those tyres for my lowly falcon before purchasing the slicks...

I say GO for it...but use your common sense
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #62
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

This is getting quite off topic in a way.. the OP wants advice on how to get a quicker e.t., and using these tyres is one way of doing that... but, if we're going to discuss their legality (or safety, which is subjective anyway) then I think we should start another thread; it is an interesting topic.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:24 PM   #63
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
I have driven on the street with MT streets and was very scary to say the least, spun in all gears with about half a centimeter of throttle, bacically a accident waiting to happen.
Same here Wade, started raining once on the way home from WSID, ended up facing the median strip on King Georges road with a touch of the throttle in 4th.

If I go to the trouble of changing tyres I just run slicks, other than that the RA1's do me, I have done a 1.75 60" on them and 1.71 best on ET radials, not much in them for me, they might suit others setups better.

Just giving my experience with tyres, helping the OP make a more informed decision I hope.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 07:43 PM   #64
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Same here Wade, started raining once on the way home from WSID, ended up facing the median strip on King Georges road with a touch of the throttle in 4th.

If I go to the trouble of changing tyres I just run slicks, other than that the RA1's do me, I have done a 1.75 60" on them and 1.71 best on ET radials, not much in them for me, they might suit others setups better.

Just giving my experience with tyres, helping the OP make a more informed decision I hope.
Yeh Know of a few guys that have used RA1's, gave them a good rap too.

Wade
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #65
PRO 347
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Yes you have 20"s but what type of tyre, is it a cheapy or a name brand?

Did you drop the tyre pressure?

Did you smoke them up big time for the burn out? The hotter the tyre, the stickier it is

Your 60 foot is really really bad, my lowest is 2.23 and that's still bad.

I would only be looking at tyres as your car is obviously good for 13's - you just got to get some grip
It doesn't matter what brand they are, they're 20's!!!

Dropping the pressures of a 20' tyre aint gonna achieve anything coz its got a 35 profile (virtually solid sidewall) as opposed to a 60 series tyre.

The bigger the burnout on a street tyre (drag radials excluded) the slipperier they will get.

It just sounds like all you need is a bit more time practicing your launch.
PRO 347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #66
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

when i ran my XR8 at heathcote at the last meet, i ran a 13.7 with 40psi pumped street tyres, only mods are cat back exhaust with bpr airbox, other then that proper street trim! i found launching @ 1000rpm on street tyres was ideal, just a tiny screech and away she went, when i launched at 1750rpm and 1500rpm, it was just wheel spinning like a mofo! Also forgot to mention its a ZF6 spd auto
BF MKII XR8, 13.8 @ 107mph
BA MKII F6 TYPHOON
BA MKII XR6 TURBO

BF MKII F6 TYPHOON R-spec, 13.2 @ 109 mph [LTHLF-6]
PX Ranger WILDTRAK
DENKO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #67
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

wow! Lots of replies and some interesting discussion. I reckon the MT as street may not be good as they wont heat enough with road driving if they can handle strip work.

I'm going tomorrow and will do a few runs. First with better launches and then will try the smaller wheels. Running a 3.23 diff and 20's must make my car closer to a 2.85 final drive ratio. I know I get to 110 ish in second where the stock ones peak out at 97 kms/hr (which is why XR8's had a slower 0-100 needing to be shifted to 3rd or so I once read).

Weather looks like it might hold up for tomorrow. Lets see what we can get.

thank you all for your inputs. I'll let you know how I get on.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 04:47 PM   #68
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
wow! Lots of replies and some interesting discussion. I reckon the MT as street may not be good as they wont heat enough with road driving if they can handle strip work.

I'm going tomorrow and will do a few runs. First with better launches and then will try the smaller wheels. Running a 3.23 diff and 20's must make my car closer to a 2.85 final drive ratio. I know I get to 110 ish in second where the stock ones peak out at 97 kms/hr (which is why XR8's had a slower 0-100 needing to be shifted to 3rd or so I once read).

Weather looks like it might hold up for tomorrow. Lets see what we can get.

thank you all for your inputs. I'll let you know how I get on.
how did you go last night kypez?

i did my PB on Sunday at Track championship, a 13.704 @ 104.75mph with a 60" time of 2.184. (pity i dialled in a 13.85 in 2nd elimination but that's racing)

my mph is a bit lower than i hoped (have done a 107.9 mph before) and i still have to work on lowering my 60" but im running street tyres at 24.5 psi so it's an improvement.

need to buy some ET streets. anyone have a pair of 275/40 r 17's they want to sell???
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #69
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Went out to Calder tonight for the first time in about 3 years, ran 14.1 @ 107.3MPH (Previous PB with other mods of 14.0 @ 98-99Mph from memory)

Happy with the MPH considering i don't have a tune yet but the Std clutch put paid to any chance of cracking a 13.xx which was frustrating.

That was running Std Street tyres at 40Psi.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 12:45 AM   #70
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Went out to Calder tonight for the first time in about 3 years, ran 14.1 @ 107.3MPH (Previous PB with other mods of 14.0 @ 98-99Mph from memory)

Happy with the MPH considering i don't have a tune yet but the Std clutch put paid to any chance of cracking a 13.xx which was frustrating.

That was running Std Street tyres at 40Psi.
Did you go with the Boosted Boys? MPH is impressive for not having a Tune.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #71
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Did you go with the Boosted Boys? MPH is impressive for not having a Tune.
Nah mate just went down with a mate of mine.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2010, 02:16 PM   #72
prasac
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltrain79
Sell the Nos kit and buy some MT ET street radials . Best bang for buck mod anyone into drag racing can do . No more ******** excuses of " but my car has 1 million rwkw and should run 5's " !!! ;)

People spend so much money buying cars and then modding, and for the sake of having more fun and getting the most out of their 1/4 mile times for under $800 which should last a couple years of tyres ....

Growler intakes cost more ! ANd i know which one would produce a much better time
stick it to 'em mate, 100% agree when it comes to modding the engine they will spend the $'s but when it comes to tyres people's asses clench tighter than a ducks and it's one of the biggest aspects to do with 1/4 mile times.
prasac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post