Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 24-06-2009, 04:56 PM   #61
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290v
Ranns more interested in raising money from traffic offences and shutting down Bikie gangs
Media Mike albRann - listen to him often enough and he gives you the shiets.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #62
COUPE 72
coupe 72

I dont think its a personal fued but there seems to be a bit of ill feeling between ANDRA members and Bob Jane when racing stopped back in 2000 or so with both blameing each other for so called bad attendances at the trackand insurance issues when at least one racer tried legal action against Mr Jane, blameing bad track prep for their accident.And actually what makes me feel ill is trusting Bob Jane if he did reopen A.I.R. :

Last edited by COUPE 72; 24-06-2009 at 09:43 PM.
COUPE 72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #63
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Thanks for the support Pat, Drag racing has beeen a passion of mine for over twenty years and i hate not seeing it inS.A. but going to ford forums drag nats at Heathcote last month warmed the soul. I just hope the Tailem Bend track can be reopened for competition by someone it would be a terrible shame to loose that asset. Cheers Glenn :togo:
Old 24-06-2009, 09:57 PM   #64
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

just read an article in the messenger before about how people with dirt bikes need somewhere to ride and they are trying to push that. Made me think of this. I enjoy riding bikes off road but would love to do drag racing. If they do something for these people to ride bikes around and nothing bout a decent drag strip here in SA which will over turn a lot more money than a dirt track then im gonna be pretty peeved.

my 2cents
seXCmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2009, 10:38 PM   #65
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by seXCmont
just read an article in the messenger before about how people with dirt bikes need somewhere to ride and they are trying to push that. Made me think of this. I enjoy riding bikes off road but would love to do drag racing. If they do something for these people to ride bikes around and nothing bout a decent drag strip here in SA which will over turn a lot more money than a dirt track then im gonna be pretty peeved.

my 2cents
Only problem with drag racing is it cost so much more money and FLAT land (ie prime land ) to set up.
Old 24-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #66
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

but can still get in a lot more money for the state aswell. tourism would go up a fair bit more for drag meets in SA for interstaters comin to our drag strip. they could make a killing off of it.
Old 25-06-2009, 12:10 AM   #67
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by seXCmont
but can still get in a lot more money for the state aswell. tourism would go up a fair bit more for drag meets in SA for interstaters comin to our drag strip. they could make a killing off of it.
Absolutly mate thats what i was trying to acheve in Tailem Bend could have been great for the town and the charities i was trying to help but i just couldnt get past red tape and other peoples agendas. My brother in law and i put in hundreds of hours and our own money to try and make it work but we have just had enough. It seems that their just shopping for the best deal and the deepest pockets will get no matter what proposals are put to the new owners ie:council.
Old 25-06-2009, 09:54 AM   #68
seXCmont
EcoBoostin

good on ya mate bloody sucks all this
Old 26-06-2009, 08:07 AM   #69
cob115
COUPE WHORE

i didnt even know there was one at tailem bend!!!i live under a rock some times,what a top place tro do drags not far from home take the back roads to there

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #70
smally289
growing up is optional

The Riverland track is still a possibility.... all the red tape has been sorted
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #71
bloosted
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i'll believe when i'm stalling up
bloosted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2009, 07:45 PM   #72
smally289
growing up is optional

Its been a long hard road so far, but I reckon it will happen eventually.
Old 26-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #73
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

If I could afford it, I'd buy a block of land for around 65k at nurioopta, lay a 400m strip and provide free private drags in the comfort of a bush outback setting. In all seriousness though, it should happen eventually....shouldn't it?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #74
COUPE 72
coupe 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cob115
i didnt even know there was one at tailem bend!!!i live under a rock some times,what a top place tro do drags not far from home take the back roads to there
Yeah it used to called River bend raceway and it opened in late 1979 and they had their first meet with fuel funny cars, then had 2 or 3 rain outs and the club went bust and then mitsubishi bought, as far as i know. It could have been awsome, we will just have to wait and see but people i know close to the sport say there is nothing happening anytime soon. Breaks my heart.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #75
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

would be handy if that guy that won $53m on lotto lastnight was a drag racing enthusiast.. I found the real estate ad for Tailem bend, just in case I had the winning ticket lol..

:(
Old 01-07-2009, 10:30 PM   #76
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Phil, had that thought too. Reckon he'd cough up some cash if we petitioned him;)? Still, no drag strip hasent stopped the young Adelaide drivers. Just got egged on to race a LineSky and silvia. Fail.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #77
290v
290v

I still believe they should develop Mallala raceway as a full ,on motorsport Pk
Drag strip,Drifting, motor Racing and burnout pads
Old 02-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #78
COUPE 72
coupe 72

53 Million would have been sweet, as far as Mallala goes dont think you could get a track in on the existing property and i dont know if clem smith has the kind of cash to build a track. And i dont think he would want any partners, too many complications. I wonder how the tender is progressing at Tailem Bend track, atrack there is still possible it all depends on who the successful bidder is and what their plans are.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #79
46302ute
gunna get there

hope something happens soon its total crap at the moment.
46302ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 AM   #80
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUPE 72
i dont think he would want any partners, too many complications..
And he's too greedy.. One of the main reasons the powercruise guys haven't come to Adelaide yet is not only does Clem want a large fee for the track hire, but also he asked for 25% of proceeds from the gate takings. When you combine those costs with Adelaides relatively low population of people that would attend such an event, it's not a very feasible operation unfortunately.
So not only do we miss out on drag racing here in the land that time forgot, but as long as CS owns the only suitable track for a powercruise-style event we miss out on that too.
Yes i'm aware there's Gazzanats and MB autofest, but they don't have the track time that PC provides.

Clem Smith is getting on a bit in years now, I wonder what will happen to Mallala when he's no longer around? Will the SCCSA become custodians? I presume they're not into hosting the kind of events I like to attend...

Back to tailem bend again, This 'consortium' that we all keep hearing about (but know nothing of), I wonder if they considered putting in a tender for Tailem? Or are they dead set on acquiring land 15mins from the CBD?

The real estate Ad for TB said the total land size was 683Ha, with all the test tracks, 1/4mile, workshop etc on a 117Ha parcel of land. The ad also stated that they would sell sections of land separately.
I wonder how much that 117Ha would go for? From what I hear the whole 683Ha was very reasonably priced.

I saw the drawings for the proposal for the riverland track over on the SMASA forum, looks good. Hope something happens there, especially if TB is a definite no-go.

*sigh*
Old 03-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #81
gossy
CLEVO POWERED

Gee,

I really feel sorry for you guys down there, and no, I'm not being sarcastic.
So many tuff cars and especially Mopars.
Do you have any drag strip at all, 1/8th mile etc.?

I've been lucky, lived in melb. so i used to go to Calder, then moved to Gold Coast so had Surfers International then Willowbank, now I'm in Mackay with 1/4 mile track as well.

Hope the gumbyment and promoters wake up soon and give you a track.
gossy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #82
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Gossy-as far as I know there was an 8th mile track somewhere but I don't think it's used anymore? Not sure though. Yes, hopefully we get one soon but the gov is just screwed, won't give us(enthusiasts) the time of day when it comes to cars, but hey that's what happens.
Game. Reinvented.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #83
290v
290v

They use to a couple of years ago have 1/8th mile drags at the Glider club in runway in the Riverland
Old 03-07-2009, 01:51 PM   #84
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

yeah the Waikerie 1/8th mile track is the closet we have to a legal drag strip. And that isnt prepped all that well for runs. From what I was told, its like bitumen you get on a highway. Nothing more, so wheels spin is inevitable.

This state sucks the big one for drag racing.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #85
smally289
growing up is optional

Yep, the Waikerie airport, but the surface was crap and there was a time cut off on side by side passes for safety reasons. Good for a bit of fun, but not real racing.

The new proposed track up here will be purpose built and state of the art, with the only full length concrete track outside the US. We have the land, council approval and lots of local support which has been a long time organising and sorting thru all the red tape . The funding applications should be happening soon and then we will see where we go from there. It may start off as an 1/8th mile to get the dollars rolling in and then ramp up to a full 1/4 later, or it may all just happen in one step. Either way would be better than what we have now.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #86
5L
[ 5L ]

i keep hearing about the tailem bend track will get the go ahead.

a bloke at work send me some pictures he recieved from a source of his when they went for an inspection around the tailem bend track on sat 16th may 09.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:07 PM   #87
v gate

There are short tracks at Whyalla Portland and Mildura. There is also a group trying to get something going in Adelaide. There is also another group tying to get something in Pt Augusta and then there is the Barmera deal and now we have River Bend poping up. Please dont even mention AIR. As far as im concerned as long as a CERTAIN PERSON owns it i wont be going back
BUT WAIT apparently the front of police stations is now the cool thing for retard racing so now i guess we wont be seeing any funding from the state gov going to drag racing since its now a way heaps smarter than everyone pony licker showed the world that we dont need race tracks we need police stations (problem solved)
v gate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #88
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

lol... 'from a source of his'.. sorry, but the amount of times i've heard stories from mates of mates sources over the last few years.. As Sean said in the OP, "if i had a dime - or was it nickel - for every time...."

Its sad that we've become so sceptical/pessimistic about getting a strip hey.. :(
Old 03-07-2009, 09:18 PM   #89
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

yes i saw that on the news, and in adelaides 'daily fairytales', aka the advertiser. Anyone read that pile of crap that they've tried to pass as reporting? its titled "the evil face of hoons". the first few paragraphs have been embellished with a fair bit of fiction i think. "high powered cars", "engines roaring" etc etc. Morons. Both the douche at the wheel in the vid, and the people at the advertiser. If anyone here knows said douche, give them a smack in the face for me please.

another line in the 'story', from someone high up in the third reich - I mean SAPOL - "the new laws will stop them before they do it"... I'm not sure i want to know what they mean by that...

anyways, enough of my hoon rants, when the new strip opening AUXR8220?
Old 04-07-2009, 06:15 AM   #90
5L
[ 5L ]

unsure when the strip is opening phil, but i can forward you the email that i recieved you can make your mind up yourself.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post