Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-06-2016, 09:46 AM   #31
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FORD, we want the 345 / 351 tune. Will pay $1500-2000 for the ecu update.

What would be great I think (or would have been great), is if Ford had some sort of affiliated or endorsed network of secondary dealers for modifications and ECU tunes.

Say one in each state, which would have access to Ford technical and engineering resources for approved upgrades.
Possibly a similar arrangement to the Walkinshaw Performance/HSV set up.

If a customer wanted factory-style improvements, then the work done by such Ford-endorsed workshops would need to be done as per Ford's recommendations and within their set tolerance parameters.
Customers could still choose to go all-out, but on the understanding they would be all on their own.

Warranty would probably still be void, in certain areas at least; but there would at least be peace of mind things are being done correctly.
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 09:47 AM   #32
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FORD, we want the 345 / 351 tune. Will pay $1500-2000 for the ecu update.

I want the XR6 Sprint tune in my GS.
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #33
Patty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
I agree a proper dyne tune will give you more power but the risk of mechanical failure is increased.

The 345/351 tunes were tested on an identical driveline to other Miami cars and ford has provided full warranty. People have said warranty issues is why ford won't do it?? How? Surely a xr8 sprint or gtf is not more likely for warranty issues due to their tunes?

It's tested, ford already warrant this tune.

Going to aftermarket is risk / reward. I'm not sure I'm willing to take the risk, hence the ford option, sure it's only 10-15 kW more but it's full warranty and piece of mind. You cannot have the same confidence in aftermarket tunes, no matter if they make 50rwkw more and the car much faster

Getting this tune is risk/reward as well... I think there have been plenty of arguments on why Ford would never do this.

My question is, why on earth would you pay $2k for an extra 10-15kw?

You could go to a highly reputable tuner who exclusively works on Fords and could give you a basic tune for half of that, or could push it a bit more and get you an extra 50kws.
Patty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 03:04 PM   #34
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spend the money on a good set of tyres and you'll probably be quicker anyway.

FG XR6T SILHOUETTE - 380rwkw
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #35
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Why is everyone always worried about warrenty. It's simple, if you want more power get it tuned. If something breaks just fix it. If your poor and can't afford it, don't get it tuned , simple

Because people who buy new cars are also buying and paying for the warranty, so by voiding this warranty they just wasted a lot of $$ they spend on piece of mind.

Nothing to do with being poor, some people are just a little bit smarter and prefer not to throw money away.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #36
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt give ford one dime,and wont be modifying my Pursuit while in warranty for what that is worth.My money in future will be going to Herrods in one years time,exhaust and flash at least these guys know what they are doing.Even if ford offered it no way would i let some apprentice or some other mechanic on basic wages do any mods to my Ute.
Old 02-06-2016, 05:10 PM   #37
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a $100 K&N filter for it and you'll probably pull the same rwkw as a sprint
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #38
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Because people who buy new cars are also buying and paying for the warranty, so by voiding this warranty they just wasted a lot of $$ they spend on piece of mind.

Nothing to do with being poor, some people are just a little bit smarter and prefer not to throw money away.
Not really. They will still pay for most things just not motor , gearbox, tailshaft and diff etc.

I tune every new car I get. If you get a good tuner the likely hood of issues is low

And of course it's about money. In the end it's always about who pays.

People need to grow some balls

Go hard or go home

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #39
Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
There are plenty of 335 Fpv GT owners or fgx xr8 owners or fpv 315 GS owners that would pay $1500-2000 for a Ecu recalibration to bring up our power to 345kw or 351kw, as long as any remaining warranty on our cars is honoured. These tunes are tested for sprint and GT-f models so I wouldn't see why warranty would be different.

I don't believe this product would degrade a genuine sprint or GT-F as it's essentially just a dealer fitted update, doesn't make our regular GT or xr8 as a genuine GTF or sprint, they would still retain exclusivity, but the overall falcon brand would all be that bit special too. These cars cannot be bought anymore so it would not cannibalise future sales either.

If there is some objection by sprint or GT-F owners, please consider GT r-spec 335kw owners, they are not degraded because the fgx xr8 is the same car or that the xr8 sprint is of superior specification. The GT r spec will still retain its special place in fords stable and respected amongst enthusiasts. R spec owners would likely buy this ecu update also.

Make it a dealer fitted update at service for price premium.

If 1000 fpv/Fgx owners take this up, the is $1,000,000+ Easy revenue for ford with little or no cost, the tunes are already tested/done and it's a 5 minute upload from dealers.. plus 1000+ very very happy owners and a great send off to falcon enthusiasts. Keeps our cars more desirable ahead of the last commodore update to try upstage the falcon.

I'd even suggest to Pass some of this easy revenue to the employees of ford or for a special closing event for Falcons retirement, be legendary.

Hsv in its early days offered the clubsport calibration / headers to regular commodore v8 buyers for a price premium ( I think $2500) it didn't make them club sports. They stopped it as they would cannibalise future hsv sales but ford don't have that problem.

Please reply in this thread if you would take up this option and let's apply some pressure to ford. Also welcome sprint owners or GT-F owners to make any objections if this request is unreasonable, please be mindful of the r-spec limited build and fgx xr8. Also, The money raised by dealers to go towards ford employees or a falcon farewell event.

Many of the fpv owners or fgx xr8 owners would otherwise get a tune from an aftermarket tuner for a similar price and more power, but to have a ford endorsed tune and if the funds went toward the employees or a farewell event, would make it more special and worth the $1500-2000. If ford don't do it, they are just passing this revenue to aftermarket tuners.

Give us the 345 / 351 tune ford.
Unfortunately I don't think the 345/351 tunes will go into the older models prior to the GTF. The ECU is not the same. An upgraded ECU was put into the GTF and FGX models, and I'm not sure if the code would be backwards compatible.

Weekend 2012 GT Rspec black 6 speed Manual
GTF 306 has arrived
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #40
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Not really. They will still pay for most things just not motor , gearbox, tailshaft and diff etc.

I tune every new car I get. If you get a good tuner the likely hood of issues is low

And of course it's about money. In the end it's always about who pays.

People need to grow some balls

Go hard or go home
Mods do bastardise the car a fair bit. of course they will make more power and be faster with a aftermarket tune.

Buying a new car and just tearing up the warranty is not a good idea. What if the car has a genuine factory failed/weak part. The tune acts to makes it fail sooner due to more revs etc Ie a dodgy zf gearbox clutches or supercharger...but because it's tuned the ford factory say no warranty. Why take on the problem?

I will likely tune my car towards end of warranty once I'm confident that I don't have any factory issues with car. But I would tune it tomorrow if ford offered a ecu upgrade and honoured balance of warranty. Easiest money they will ever make, should be available at spare parts for purchase over the counter.
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #41
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geobar View Post
The Boss 315/335/345/351 are now proven packages with good after market support.

It's fairly straight forward what you need to do to extract power out of these and what is bullet proof and the limits of engine/transmission/drive/tail shafts/diff/bushes so pick the path you want to take and take it.

I don't think ford offering upgraded tunes will keep you happy, you will hardly feel the difference. I know I wouldn't be happy to spend up to 2k for a minimum result.

Sit down work out what you want from your car and create your own package from the various options you have and go enjoy the car. This is what I'm doing with my XR8 as i'd rather create my own spec. If you select the right parts and tuner warranty will not be an issue. Just don't expect to run 500rwkws with standard driveline then blame Ford for not providing warranty.

I'm just thankful that ford has given us a solid base to start with

George
George has hit the nail on the head.

Initially, I thought the Sprint 8 tune may be a big jump forward, but it does not appear to be. So, I have lost interest in paying $1,800 odd or whatever for the tune and maybe some badges.

Rather, I will spend the remainder of my warranty period of 2 years working what further mods suits my needs, ie driving and thinking about it all.

My car with intercooler and nulon synthetic is plenty fast now, the unhappy owner of a black 2013 GTS will probably be having post traumatic memories of his sinking gut feeling of looking at the rear end of a FGX XR8 pulling away from him yesterday.

And with winter temps and wet conditions with intercooler, my car is already (power wise and traction issues) a one foot in the loopy asylum territory proposition, as it is.

Logic says in 2 years put in a walbro 460 for more revs fuel supply, tune for more revs and power ( and have the 335 OEM tune as an option to load back), diff and suspension upgrade and leave alone.

But every so often a dark thought of injector upgrade, yella terra snout and 58mm pulley kit bubbles up in my thoughts....

As George has said, Ford has given us one hell of a foundation to tinker on.

And what is it about my car being faster than a 2013 GTS when all the testing says that machine at 4.55 secs to 100 should smash my XR8??

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 12:57 AM   #42
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Yet to meet the person who drives a tuned one after getting out of a stock one and says "yeah, nah..."
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-06-2016, 01:09 AM   #43
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_xlr8 View Post
From what I have seen in these 351 GTF and FGX models the tune would be a step back over what pro drive flashed into my car in 2011.

Perfectly happy with my GTP as it puts out better IMHO
I wouldn't mind the launch control strategy, but would keep the rest of my 376rwkw tune
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 09:23 PM   #44
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50 View Post
Yet to meet the person who drives a tuned one after getting out of a stock one and says "yeah, nah..."

Lol just getting the intercooler gave me a shock lol, think my mrs is hating the idea of a tune now!
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2016, 10:37 PM   #45
DrSnooper

I have a conservative tune on my Rspec and I wouldn't change it for a GT-F tune, great to drive in traffic but when you get into it, it's scary enough for me.

Previously owned:
2008 FG GT Lightning Strike - No 149;
2012 FG GT MK2 Rspec Auto Vixen - No 46 of 350;
1974 XB GS Burnt Orange.

Vice President - NSW Falcon GT Owners Club;

Combined Ford Clubs Delegate for NSW Falcon GT Owners Club;
GT Nationals Delegate for NSW GT Falcon Owners Club.
GT Nationals Judge - Modern Era.
DrSnooper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post