Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Closed Thread

Old 16-02-2005, 08:53 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Never thought i'd be asking, but.....

I'm becoming more and more interested in the Focus. Saw one today at work coming off the truck and i was really impressed with how it looked, took it for its test run later on and it went pretty well (was a manual 1.8).

If i was to get one i would most definately want it to be a 5 door hatch, im not really fussed on the transmissions - it seems auto is the way to go because of the 2L engine, but i dont really like the slugishness of it. Yet to find an auto one at work so i will wait and see.

I have absolutely no idea of what each model has etc (going to do some studying tomorrow), but i know what i want:

* Must be a 5 door hatch
* Must have the 17" wheels (not a prob to get tho)
* Reasonable space in the boot (want to be able to fit a guitar or 2 in there if possible)

And a few other things but they're all dealer fit so it's no worries to get (i work in spare parts so i can get as many as i want lol).

If i get one i'll be trading in an AU2 Fairmont, so i would expect to spend probably about $20-22000 on the car itself? Also depends on the deal i get through work etc, but sticking around that price range for now.

So guys, you know them better than i do, what can you recommend, what should i look for, what should i avoid etc.

Thanks!
Old 16-02-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Ok, I'll give you my advice, as we own both a 1.8L Manual and 2.0L auto in the 5 door hatch in CL and LX trim, so I should be in a good position to tell you what I feel each of the vehicles strengths are.

Above: On the left, the Capri Blue LX Focus with SR rims and Ford Bodykit, on the right, the Blue Flame CL Focus with the MP3 rims and Infocus Motorsport / Ford Hybrid Bodykit, in company with my brothers Champagne 01 KQ Laser.

Starting with the 1.8L manual, I definitely feel this is the transmission / engine package of choice here. The 1.8L engine has the same power output as the 2L, which is packaged with the auto for the extra torque it produces to compensate for auto tranny losses. The manual is slick, smooth, and precise, whereas the auto is an all or nothing gearbox. Either it's really holding its revs out, or it changes so low it leaves you wanting that little bit extra for comfortable driving. However, when taking the girlfriend out on a date, it is a bit smoother, but leaves you looking stupid when all of a sudden it decides to downchange while accelerating and leaves you looking like you're trying to be a hoon. The other feature I do not like about the LX is the tacky silver painted centre console, I prefer the black one fitted to the CL. Personal preference.

However, it's not all bad in the Capri Blue Focus. Being an LX, the car comes equipped with ABS standard, which goes hand in hand with disc brakes on the rear and the extra passenger airbag. It also comes with power windows, a feature that alot of people like. The Capri Blue was also ordered with cruise control and the leather wrapped steering wheel, which can be retro fitted to current Foci. After spending some time with the car with this feature, I will be getting it retro fitted to the Blue Flame Focus also.

Both vehicles are fitted with aircon, I am not even sure if you can order one without these days. Now you can get the SR pack Focus, which is a CL with the rims you see on the Capri Blue Focus, and they don't charge you for aircon. Cruise, and the ABS safety pack, are still extras, but the SR represents great value, being around 22 grand on the road, I think it was, last time I saw. A non optioned model Zetec 5 door will set you back well close to 30 grand, and you still end up with 16 inch alloys and no bodykit.

So to conclude, my ideal package would be a 1.8L manual LX, with cruise fitted as an extra. An SR loses the safety pack (still has a driver airbag no matter what though) and power windows, but will save you a couple grand over an LX. Bodykits and alloys are personal choices, you can see the difference in our vehicles, as is colour.

So for your price range, you'd be weighing up what you can get for your money. I'd be pushing for a 1.8L manual LX if you can find a dealer willing to do a great deal on one, if not, it's hard to go past the SR for value for money. And if you have become so used to cruise to take it for granted like I did, don't forget to option it on! My mistake when purchasing, but can be done afterwards.

Hope that gives you a starting point, at any rate. Any questions, fire away.

Tim!
Old 16-02-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Hey Tim,

thanks for the reply. So quick too!

The LX sounds like the go from that, id put the rims yuo have on it though (are they the ST170 rims or just optional 17's? I was under the impression the ST170 rims are Azzuro style multispokes).

Good to know the 1.8 has the same output as the 2.0L. Im an auto man atm, but my thinking is that a manual would be better suited to this kind of car - im not too keen on any Ford autos bar those found in the AU's bA's (bit too big for this application!).

The centre finish etc is not an issue as i have access to the full Focus spares catalog - so pretty much anything i want, i can get.

ABS is a definite and a passenger airbag would be nice if i can get it, i will get a brochure tomorrow and pick out all the good bits.

Finally, when's the new Focus due?
Old 16-02-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

The rims I have on my focus are the optional 17 inch rims, not the ST170 rims, which are a multispoke Azzurro style, yes. My rims are known as MP3 rims in Europe, as they are unique to the MP3 model Focus there (which we don't get here).

The centre console would be a royal pain in the bum to replace, but anyways, its apersonal thing and not a great issue to you.

If you want ABS on the CL or SR, you need to option the safety pack, which means you'll have two issues to contend with: one is the extra cost, which was a grand list price, and the other is locating one in the colour you want in the country fitted with a pack, as it is a factory fit, NOT a dealer fit. Therefore you'll find it easier to find an LX in the colour you want.

The new Focus is due mid this year, however that date seems to be sliding according to people I have heard from, so it could be anywhere in the 3rd quarter or this year, expected date.

Tim
Old 16-02-2005, 10:15 PM   #5
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Above: Pictured here is the ST170 with its unique rims, for reference. Thanks fordel!

Tim
Old 16-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
whippet_zetec
Supes

one option not covered by Tim is if you can source a good deal on a Zetec from a dealer. My Zetec was $24,000 on road, brand new, choice of colour was limited but I got manual, tuned 2.0L engine, 16 inch rims, dual airbag, abs, bit firmer suspension set up, power windows...(basically just check out the Zetec config).

My preference would definitely be for a Zetec, just a little bit more poke and you get the 2.0L in manual.
Old 16-02-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I agree that the Zetec is a good car, but I was referencing to the first post which specified the vehicle to be a 5 door, and unfortunately in the Zetec, that raises the price straight away. Also looking at the suggested price range of around 20k - 22k, where you just won't get a new Zetec, unless that is what can be spent on top of the trade in. In which case, hell, choose what Focus you want! Heh heh.

Tim
Old 16-02-2005, 10:48 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

$2k for 3 door is pushing it big time IMHO. I need a 5 door - and its what id call a small car!
Old 16-02-2005, 10:50 PM   #9
whippet_zetec
Supes

yep Zetec 5 door can be a tad more but not by any great degree, but yes a Zetec would be out of the range (if bought new)

is the $20K-22K on top of the trade in or including trade (ie, get $10,000 for the AU2 plus spend another $12,000 on the focus)? I would assume includes trade?

Last edited by whippet_zetec; 16-02-2005 at 10:53 PM.
Old 16-02-2005, 11:11 PM   #10
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Yeah but 5 door Zetec with Auto transmission you would be lucky to get it for under 28k!
Old 16-02-2005, 11:22 PM   #11
whippet_zetec
Supes

yep right you all are, forget my posts there......I will crawl back into my hole like the good little golf bal should...lol
Old 16-02-2005, 11:24 PM   #12
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Definately out of the range with a 5dr zetec there

When i was looking at them, i optioned up a 3dr zetec and that came to about $5k less then what the ST was, which was the only reason i went for the ST as it was only $5k more... then 5Dr Zetec adds another couple of K to that price for sure

Chris
Old 16-02-2005, 11:26 PM   #13
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippet_zetec
yep right you all are, forget my posts there......I will crawl back into my hole like the good little golf bal should...lol
Now that we have that sorted.... haha. It's good to get all suggestions from all round... makes sure nothing was forgotten!

Tim :evilking:
Old 16-02-2005, 11:37 PM   #14
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Just to throw a spanner in the works for you back2thefutura if you think that the hatch doesnt have a big enough boot for you dont forget about the sedan version!!!

Russ
Old 16-02-2005, 11:41 PM   #15
whippet_zetec
Supes

you know I have been seing some wickedly modded sedans on focusfanatics site. I alays thought they were a bit old-fart but there is one on the focusfanatics site in Italy done up like a maffia car and it looks fantastic.
Old 17-02-2005, 12:07 AM   #16
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

my g/f likes the sedan.... dumped on a set of rims would look quite nice, just noone has tried doing them as much as the hatch

chris
Old 17-02-2005, 12:45 AM   #17
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It ain't a real Focus unless it has 3 doors, a 2 litre engine and a manual trans...

*Matt runs for cover from all the ''Girl-o-Matic'' (TM) drivers and the ''0.2 litres short of a picnic" drivers*, jumps inside his 2 litre and blasts of untouched...
Old 17-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #18
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Yeah you better run pretty boy...
Old 17-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #19
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASACL
Yeah you better run pretty boy...
LOL :
Old 17-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #20
b2tf
not here much anymore

Nope, not even considering a sedan. They are fugly, end of story. Im still flipping between considering a Focus at all or not, it seems they can be quite difficult to get parts for (depending on what you want).

5dr Zetec Hatch with manual, bodykit and the 17's seems like the go but that is close to $30k's worth - for that kind of money i can be in a BA ute,which is my other preference.

Just clear up - i expect around $18-20k as a trade for the AU2 (Fairmont and in bloody good nick), and im trying to keep the costs after that to a minimum to keep any loan i have to get smaller rather than larger.

$10k loan absolute maximum, and for that money i want to get it regod and fully insured as well.
Old 17-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #21
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I'm telling you, the 5 door Zetec is a good 8 or so grand more than you have to spend, considering you're paying for 16 inch alloys that you won't ever see (when you also buy the 17s) and you get an extra few kilowatts of power. It's alot of money for each extra kilowatt, and you don't get much else over an LX.

Look at the CL / SR / LX for the value for money area.

Tim
Old 18-02-2005, 12:47 AM   #22
WASACL
Phat-Euro

8 grand you could just turbo it... hehehe!

Russ
Old 18-02-2005, 12:09 PM   #23
Ferris

Mmm... Turbo.

Old 18-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #24
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

zetec owners are currently shut down.
Old 18-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #25
Kymera

being a muso myself i can tell you the focus is big enough to fit a few guitars in....and when the seats are laid down its pretty roomy in there. i usually leave the seats up, chuck my marshall twin speaker in the hatch (just fits) and the guitars on the back seat. although thats about all you can fit. im finding carting musical gear around a pain in my three door zetec as access to the rear seats is more limited...but if you go for a 5 door this shouldn't be a problem. oh and definately go for a manual, in my opinion the auto slush box just isn't up to scratch in these cars. also watch what they try and charge you for the optional 17s, being in spares you would probably know they only cost $170 a rim which is dirt cheap compared to every other rim choice.

Old 18-02-2005, 01:09 PM   #26
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

ok brtf...IMO the 1.8 is so gutless its hurts the appeal of the car. I spend a day thrashing the bejesus out of one for work on a driving course and seriously, its painful.

Dont get me wrong, it handles superbly, the interior is ok. But yeah, go drive a laser before/after a 1.8 focus and see which one you like. I haven't driven a new laser but I have been in a 96 one and it had more balls than the focus.

I, not sure what a zetec goes like, but you would hope it was significantly better than teh 1.8. And dont even get me started on the clutch engagment point!

If I was you I would look at a laser lynx or a mondeo ST24. These two I was thinking about getting untill I found my falcon I have now.

Good luck!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-02-2005, 09:09 PM   #27
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Clutch engagement point is fine on my manual, and every other Focus I have driven, same as every other Falcon and Laser and every other manual car I have ever driven. The one you drove must have had issues.

While the 1.8L Focus (which has the same power as the 2.L in Cl and LX trim) won't beat a KQ SR2 2 litre Laser, you also have to look at the amount of emission controls required on the new cars from europe compared to old cars from Japan. The Focus is not that much slower than the last of the Lasers, and the chassis is a hell of alot better. How do I know? We own a 2001 KQ Laser.

Tim
Old 19-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #28
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
ok brtf...IMO the 1.8 is so gutless its hurts the appeal of the car. I spend a day thrashing the bejesus out of one for work on a driving course and seriously, its painful.

Dont get me wrong, it handles superbly, the interior is ok. But yeah, go drive a laser before/after a 1.8 focus and see which one you like. I haven't driven a new laser but I have been in a 96 one and it had more balls than the focus.

I, not sure what a zetec goes like, but you would hope it was significantly better than teh 1.8. And dont even get me started on the clutch engagment point!
Sounds to me like you really dont know how to drive properly! The clutch is different to your typical falcon... But the real question is whether that Falcon of your a manual or an auto???

*******NOW TAKING BETS ON WHY POLY CANT DRIVE*********

Dont come in here and try and mock our fine pieces or euro machinery... We dont go into the falcon forums and make stuff up so that we seem like a total tosser to complete strangers so why should you?

Russ

Last edited by WASACL; 19-02-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 20-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #29
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

my Mesa/Boogie single rectifier and quady fit in the back of my fiesta.. aswel as my gig bag and two guitars. its a very tight squeez though lol.
i love the back seat how it swings up against the front seats and allows the back rests to fold completely flat. much better use of space.
Old 21-02-2005, 10:45 AM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASACL
Sounds to me like you really dont know how to drive properly! The clutch is different to your typical falcon... But the real question is whether that Falcon of your a manual or an auto???

*******NOW TAKING BETS ON WHY POLY CANT DRIVE*********

Dont come in here and try and mock our fine pieces or euro machinery... We dont go into the falcon forums and make stuff up so that we seem like a total tosser to complete strangers so why should you?

Russ
lol..settle down there russ.

If you knew anything you would see in my sig that my falcon is a manual. I cant drive hey?..we'll you might want to inform my supervisor at ford of that because I drive 24/7 testing things you have no clue about.

Im not completely bagging the focus. The 1.8 is underpowered no matter how much you get defensive about it. I know for a FACT that the focus g'box has the quality of a 2000 Accent. Its notchy, sounds like poo, and the engagment point is on the high side, exactly the same as the fiesta (in terms of engagement).

I also drive a 2000 (sb?) barina on regular occasions, and that has a nice gearbox (in relative terms), smooth, and good feel; the focus just doesn't cut it there.

And if you read my post I said that the focus handles brilliantly; its the powertrain that lets it down. Now, hopefully the new focus will address this.

Anyday, anywhere; give me the same car as you and ill run rings around you. Actually if you want to race bring you focus to calder and its on. Untill then keep your off-the-shoulder comments to yourself.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 21-02-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Closed Thread