Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-01-2010, 05:07 AM   #211
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Here's what I see going on with Ford, and the media making these sensational articles.

Right now Ford is looking at making a drive train program that places their engines in the cleanest and highest fuel mileage in the market. I cannot stress how important this is to Ford. We are seeing the results of this drive now, will see more this year, and you won't believe what you will see next year and the year after. Ford stated they will have 9 new or greatly re-engineered engines THIS YEAR alone.

The new Focus will have 80% the same content globally, and 75% of the parts will come from the same manufacturers for use around the world. Those are serious logistics to get worked out.

Ford is right now putting into place it's first truely global production system with the Focus while maintaining class leading quality.

In the meantime, reporters are asking for definitive info on the GRWD program which has been shelved due to the shift to smaller cars, lack of RWD demand, and all the other considerations. Needless to say, Ford's top brass is not real concerned about building a new porch while they are in the middle of putting a new roof on the house.

Once Ford feels they have a handle on how to produce a car around the world, with parts from the same manufacturers, and maintain or even improve quality, then I think they will look at the smaller portions/issues of the company, such as GRWD.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 08:15 AM   #212
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Agree 100% Steve,
Like you I sense that the RWD vehicles are well in hand and not the huge drama the media insists.
Ford's priority one is getting all of its volume FWD products right and delivered to market
before considering niche vehicles like Thunderbirds, MKRs and luxury variants of Mustang coupe.

Falcon is safe - that is all we need concern ourselves with for the moment,
no other RWD Ford sedan anywhere in the world can say that....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 09:15 AM   #213
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au...e-ford-falcon/
Old 19-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #214
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's more complex than that, the cabin of the Mustang is about 9" shorter
in the rear foot wells and the front engine rails about 5" longer.

It's not impossible for Falcon framing to do the job but it's almost
impossible for the Mustang's shell to become a sedan.
I completely understand the complexities, I was just pointing out some of the basic fundamental hard points are quite similar. Making vastly different top hats work is another matter.

None of this has been decided and it could still be the case that the similarities of the platforms could end and powertrain and technology. Long way before anything definitive is known, even by Ford themselves.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 11:16 AM   #215
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Does it really matter if a Falcon/Stang platform is difficult to achieve (and by difficult I mean expensive) There will still be vast $$$ savings if FoA are used and the two cars share engineering anyway.

Besides won't the 2015 platforms have that new body construction technique that Ford have been working on?
Old 19-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #216
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
Besides won't the 2015 platforms have that new body construction technique that Ford have been working on?
Which is what?
Old 19-01-2010, 12:13 PM   #217
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
It's more complex than that, the cabin of the Mustang is about 9" shorter
in the rear foot wells and the front engine rails about 5" longer.

It's not impossible for Falcon framing to do the job but it's almost
impossible for the Mustang's shell to become a sedan.
However there is no reason why the 2 cars couldn't be identical from the B pillar forwards, with unique stampings for the rear floors. We already do it for the ute and sedan, I don't see why this couldn't work for a Mustang/Falcon platform.

The basic dimensions are the same, and they will be using the same corporate engines and transmissions, just they will have different rear floor design requirements and top hats obviously.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #218
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Scoop! Next Ford Mustang Going Global

Mmmm....
Quote:
Originally Posted by January 18, 2010 / By Mike Connor

2014 is weighing pretty heavily on us right now," said one highly-placed Ford Motor Company source at the Detroit Show. The date is significant because it will mark the 50th anniversary of the Mustang, and Ford aims to have an all-new ponycar on the market to celebrate.

But with Ford's global rear-drive platform program apparently dead, Dearborn product planners are trying to figure out exactly how they're going to build it, especially as CEO Alan Mulally re-iterated at Detroit his view that automakers could no longer afford to build vehicles unique to one country.

Under the global rear-drive platform plan, the 2014 Mustang was to have shared its basic architecture with the next generation Australian Ford Falcon, and possibly a new flagship sedan for Lincoln. The Mustang would have been on the short wheelbase version of the platform, the Falcon on the mid-wheelbase, and the Lincoln on the long wheelbase. But that strategy has changed, for three key reasons:

1) A large rear drive sedan for the U.S. would require a lightweight platform architecture to help it meet forthcoming fuel economy and emissions standards.
2) Sales of the Australian Falcon slumped last year to just over 30,000 units, the lowest level in the nameplate's 49 year history in Australia.
3) Although it avoided bankruptcy, Ford burned through a lot of cash last year, and may not have the resource to devote to developing what would be a complex but relatively niche architecture.

The next Australian rear-drive Ford Falcon is likely dead.By the time a new rear-drive Lincoln could appear, the Town Car will have been out of production for three to four years, and with high gas prices in Australia, no-one expects major growth in Falcon sales. These factors taken together seem to have conspired to torpedo the global rear-drive platform. "The [next generation rear-drive] Falcon is dead," said one Ford insider bluntly, in apparent confirmation.

For all that, our source insists the 2014 Mustang will be rear drive. And yes, he adds, it will (finally) have an independent rear suspension. Put those two facts in the context of the global rear drive platform's demise and Mullaly's comments, and there's only one logical conclusion: The next-gen Mustang will be a global car built on its own rear-drive platform.

Ford planners are reportedly looking at three possible directions for the 2014 Mustang. The first -- and perhaps the easiest -- is an evolution of the current car, with styling cues that would appeal to the traditionalist, and a continued focus on the 5.0-liter V-8 as the halo engine. The second is more of an M3-style car, probably with turbocharged V-6 power for markets like Europe. The third - and probably the least likely, says our source - is to transform the Mustang into an ultra-high tech, ultra-high performance coupe along the lines of Nissan's giant-killing GT-R.

Whatever the overall direction, the next generation Mustang will almost certainly be a smaller and lighter car than the current coupe to enable it to meet tougher gas mileage targets. As a side benefit, it would be more suited to the European and Asian markets, too.

The 2011 Ford Mustang GT at the 2010 Detroit auto show.The styling is a hot topic of discussion. The 2005 and 2010 Mustangs, clearly inspired by their mid-60s ancestors, have been hugely successful, but insiders doubt whether Ford can go down the retro road a third time and get away with it.

So, what sort of car should a 21st Century Mustang be: an all-American ponycar; an M3-style sophisto-coupe; or a Godzilla killer? And what should it look like?
http://www.motortrend.com/future/fut...bal/index.html
Old 19-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #219
fromBAonwards
Banned

I've seen a few tube videos and pictures of a new mustang with a nice badge 5.0, really nice engine testing and i saw that spy shot of FG with Coyote in it, sounding beautifully.
Speaking of platform sharing, you all know that lincoln shares a lot with crown vic, eventually we'll have to share it with a mustang.
fromBAonwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #220
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

Not good news Boss315. How accurate has motortrend been with past predictions?
Old 19-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #221
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
Ouch!!
It's not coming from Drive or carsguide either.

Hmmmm
Old 19-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #222
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Pretty much sums up Mullay's quotes doesn't it ?

Global RWD (= Mustang sold around the world).

Taurus is a large car, what is the problem with FWD or AWD ? as he asked a while back ..

Burela's comments on FWD. and what the customer really needs / wants..

Im not convinced Falcon and Mustang will be married, I hope I'm wrong...

edit: typo

Last edited by Fordman1; 19-01-2010 at 12:50 PM.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #223
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Hmmm

Kind of flies in the face of what Mullaly said at that very motorshow but...yeah. Hrrrmm.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 19-01-2010, 01:16 PM   #224
Chopped
as in chopped

Why would Ford US turn away from the their own new global Taurus (FWD/AWD) to make a new global RWD only car ?

Ford US will believe they have it covered with the Taurus. If you don't like FWD they will sell you the AWD, the majority of sheeple buyers will be happy. FWD is everywhere, RWD is becoming more exclusive.

The only reference to RWD I have seen confirmed by the big wigs is for the Mustang. But surely they cannot justify a single RWD platform for Mustang only.

To quote C&C Music Factory >

...Things That Make You Go Hmmm...
Old 19-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #225
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They've got an un-named Ford insider... saying it's dead?

ok - I believe the media..... again!
Old 19-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #226
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
Not good news Boss315. How accurate has motortrend been with past predictions?
Can't speak for Motor Trends accuracy, but I did notice the following photo's in a recent article on Mulally. I don't see how Falcon is in a 'wait until 2011' position, while work is already advanced on the next mustang if they're on the same platform. Either way, the decision has been made, in my experience not being told what it is can only be a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Times
A clay model of a future Mustang in Ford's design studio. The company is shifting from trucks and S.U.V.'s to cars.

Although, there is something covered up in the back of this shot used:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/bu...l?pagewanted=1
Old 19-01-2010, 02:00 PM   #227
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

That all being said does not mean it will happen, after all they will all ways do concept clays, as written below pic 1 a clay model of a future Mustang.. not the future Mustang.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #228
fromBAonwards
Banned

really cool!
fromBAonwards is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #229
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

It may make more financial sense to Fomoco to globalize the Mustang (great idea) and globalize the Taurus (not so great for us as the Falcon may end up going down the Aurion route)

Mullaly will then try to placate RWD enthusiasts in Australia and around the world with the Mustang.

Its a good strategy $ wise, but it means we lose a car that can be a great performance car AND a great family car (4 doors) all in one.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #230
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Would Ford even bother making a new Fairlane, the Statesman/Caprice sells less than approx 300 per month here. That LWB market is dead and gone, Ford bailed at the right time.

LWB vehicles used to sell in excess of 1000 per month not that long ago.
Ford's best bet re: Luxo sedan would be to tap into the (suggested) globalisation of the Lincoln town car and import it for sale here. That way they can access a car with a unique image (something Statesman and Fairlane always struggled with), while FoA would probably be able to buy them cheaper than they could make them here due to the strong AUD/USD and the fact that the Yanks make them in larger numbers.

Similar to Lexus for Toyota owners who want something a little bit fancy...
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #231
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
I completely understand the complexities, I was just pointing out some of the basic fundamental hard points are quite similar. Making vastly different top hats work is another matter.

None of this has been decided and it could still be the case that the similarities of the platforms could end and powertrain and technology. Long way before anything definitive is known, even by Ford themselves.

Just stop it. You are making too much sense. Allthough I am wondering why you are out of lock step with the "insiders" on this forum who maintain otherwise.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 03:04 PM   #232
gocruzin
Ford tragic

Iv'e been told by an industry source that in five years there won't be a locally produced Falcon and that the mustang platform will be used so I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Mind you we still will be getting some nice Aussie Falcons in the meantime, FG2-3-? and we keep the wagon for a little while yet.

Ps: Whatever happens our tiny country will get the short end of the stick :(

Last edited by gocruzin; 19-01-2010 at 03:22 PM.
gocruzin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #233
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.carsguide.com.au/site/mot...stang_platform
Old 19-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #234
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Ford is going to compete in every car segment, from B cars to pick-up trucks, and RWD sedans too to compete with Lexus, Mercedes, and others.

I stand by my last post. I don't believe Ford has time yet to focus on GRWD too seriously at the moment. Gotta keep the rain out before you think about accessories like a porch.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #235
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Ford is going to compete in every car segment, from B cars to pick-up trucks, and RWD sedans too to compete with Lexus, Mercedes, and others.

I stand by my last post. I don't believe Ford has time yet to focus on GRWD too seriously at the moment. Gotta keep the rain out before you think about accessories like a porch.

Steve
So does this mean when the FG's alloted time is over, that they might just keep putting it's time of execution off for another year or so?
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 04:39 PM   #236
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WTF! One article that really doesn't say much (motortrend) and this thread starts to turn negative :

Well said Ohio XB. They'll get round to the GRWD once they've sorted the bread & butter out (which seems to be sorting out pretty well). Meanwhile, I'm sure there is plenty happening in the pre-planning stages - if anything the Coyote's compressed development timeline (2 years) gives me hope that Ford can put a GRWD together in record time - especially if they base it off an existing design :

"Torque is the new horsepower"

Last edited by Chilliman; 19-01-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #237
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Is the proposed and planned new GRWD going to be an E platform or a D car?

Old 19-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #238
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Is the proposed and planned new GRWD going to be an E platform or a D car?
I'd hazard a guess at it being a 'D' car as the next Taurus is moving down a half-step to a stretched C/D platform (EUCD)

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #239
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
They've got an un-named Ford insider... saying it's dead?

ok - I believe the media..... again!
So true. Even if such a decision was true how many within Ford worldwide would know that decision as I type now. Way too few to have leaked out just yet as it would be the highest of the highest brass atm.. And everyone at Ford from Mullaly down knows just how sensitive any comments are based on the past weeks bad press and then subsequent clarifications.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #240
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I'd hazard a guess at it being a 'D' car as the next Taurus is moving down a half-step to a stretched C/D platform (EUCD)
Or EUCD could be growing...