Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #331
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I think the I-6 Vs V6 battle was fought and won by V6 years ago,
its versatility in FWD and RWD configurations makes it the winner.

Since the bulk of Ford's cars are now FWD it makes sense for them to pick the V6
but that doesn't mean that the I-6 can't stay with us for about 5 years more.............
But the I-6 reclaimed the honours after the alloytec was released
Old 25-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #332
Chopped
as in chopped

^ But which one is quicker N/A ?

MOTOR

XR6

0-100km/h 6.76s
100km/h-0 41.58m
400m - 14.87 @ 154.48km/h
Fuel Consumption on test - 13.7l/100km (kerb weight 1728kg)

SV6

0-100km/h 6.46s
100km/h-0 38.42m
400m - 14.62 @ 157.28
Fuel consumption on test - 13.4l/100km (kerb weight 1736)

The fact is the SIDI V6 210kw is quicker and more effiecent than the FG I6.
(And it is slightly heavier !)

The I6 from Ford is really GOOD but not really GOD !!
Old 25-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #333
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped

MOTOR

XR6

0-100km/h 6.76s
100km/h-0 41.58m

SV6

0-100km/h 6.46s
100km/h-0 38.42m
400m - 14.62 @ 157.28

Yet the FG was 2 seconds quicker round the track.
Old 25-01-2010, 12:19 PM   #334
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:

MOTOR

XR6

0-100km/h 6.76s
100km/h-0 41.58m

SV6

0-100km/h 6.46s
100km/h-0 38.42m
400m - 14.62 @ 157.28

It is quicker mainly because it has more power. If they did a test which had 98 in the I6's fuel tank, things would be different.

Wait until FGII. I have a feeling that the I6 will get a birthday to co-inceed with it's big brother's release.

Edit: Check that fuel consumption out. If this is from the Motor article I think it is, they mentioned that they drove the I6 harder because the I6 was a more rewarding car to drive. If I flogged my EF, and it returned 13.7/100, I'd be over the moon. For the I6 to come that close to the SIDI Direct Injection (Sound anything like saying ATM Machine?), Ford have done something right.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #335
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yet the FG was 2 seconds quicker round the track.
Hey....I left that bit out for a reason ! (doesn't help the SV6s cause!!)
(tyres maybe?)
Old 25-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #336
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It is quicker mainly because it has more power. If they did a test which had 98 in the I6's fuel tank, things would be different.

Wait until FGII. I have a feeling that the I6 will get a birthday to co-inceed with it's big brother's release.

Also I would like to see what the previous non sidi did in terms of times.
Old 25-01-2010, 12:48 PM   #337
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Edit: Check that fuel consumption out. If this is from the Motor article I think it is, they mentioned that they drove the I6 harder because the I6 was a more rewarding car to drive. If I flogged my EF, and it returned 13.7/100, I'd be over the moon. For the I6 to come that close to the SIDI Direct Injection (Sound anything like saying ATM Machine?), Ford have done something right.
If they BOTH ran on 92 then who cares, the SV6 was quicker AND more efficient. (Does the SIDI run better on 98 ? (I have no idea))

I think the previous SV6 was in the low to mid 7s.

In the end, Both are very quick for 6s and would scare the hell out of some the earlier V8 models from both brands.
Old 25-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #338
Chopped
as in chopped

Wow.....this made news in the UK >

Australia mourns as Ford Falcon rides into the sunset
It could be the end of a motoring era as a legendary car falls victim to global belt-tightening

By Kathy Marks in Sydney
Sunday, 24 January 2010

It is one of Australia's oldest and most deep-seated rivalries, more divisive than religion, politics or even football. And it is determined before you're born: depending on your family allegiance, you'll either be Holden or Ford, the only two car brands that count in the suburbs.

It matters not that both companies are American-owned (Holden by General Motors), because for decades their Australian subsidiaries have built models specially designed for the home market: in Holden's case the iconic Commodore, in Ford's case the equally iconic Falcon.

Now the nation – or, to be more precise, half the nation – is in mourning following news that the all-Australian Falcon is to be unceremoniously ditched. The US parent company has decided that it no longer makes economic sense to manufacture different models for different countries. "Those days are gone," Ford's world president and chief executive, Alan Mulally, declared at last week's Detroit Motor Show.

The timing could not be worse for Falcon lovers, preparing to celebrate the big sedan's 50th birthday later this year. Three Facebook sites have been set up by outraged fans, with even Holden supporters urging Ford to save Australia's longest-running model, in the interests of healthy competition.

Nearly every Australian has fond memories of family holidays spent travelling in the roomy Falcon or Commodore. Lovers of the vintage models spend all their free time and thousands of dollars carefully restoring and modifying old bangers.

The Falcon was Australia's fifth-highest-selling car last year, with sales of more than 31,000, compared with nearly 45,000 for the top-selling Commodore. However, all large car models in Australia have suffered from flagging sales in recent years because of higher fuel prices.

There are also fears, which Ford has done nothing to allay, that the Falcon's demise will spell the end of local manufacture. The Falcon has been the mainstay of those operations, with Ford Australia employing nearly 5,000 people at its factories in Victoria.

Mr Mulally declined to reveal whether it was part of the company's long-term strategy to retain the Australian business, which lost $274m (£153m) last year. He said: "Australia is a very important market for us and we've worked hard to be competitive. No matter what, we're going to serve the Australian market."

The first Ford Falcon, the XK sedan, rolled off the assembly line in September 1960. The current model, the seventh-generation FG series, launched two years ago, will not be replaced when production ends in 2015, although industry watchers say the name may survive on locally- badged cars.

Last weekend dozens of Falcon owners staged a protest rally in Queensland, driving in convoy along the picturesque coast road between Cairns and Port Douglas. Organisers pledged to lobby American executives to continue producing the model.

"We'll let them know how strongly we feel about it," said Neil Newcombe, a diehard Falcon fan. "From an Australian point of view, we want to keep [the car] as Australian as we can." Another Ford owner said: "The Falcon is a great Aussie icon. It would be a crime to get rid of it."

Although some Holden fans have been gleeful about the Falcon's passing, others have expressed solidarity. "If they stop making the Falcon, Holden will suffer as well," one warned on Facebook. "We'll have some crap front-wheel-drive thing from the US, so even the Holden fans should show their support."

sourced > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-1877282.html

More "could" journalism.

EDIT >

Queensland Times !

Aussies don't want Falcon scrapped
Andrew Korner | 25th January 2010

Ford enthusiast Mark Meesen is not happy about the decision to cease manufacturing of the Ford Falcon in Australia.

Rob Williams
AS FAR as Falcon devotee Mark Meesen is concerned, Ford’s plans to scrap the all-Aussie-made model are disastrous not only from a purist’s point of view, but also from a practical one.

The 37-year-old Tarampa smash repair business owner began a 15-year interest in the Falcon when he forked out for his first 1979 XD model back in the mid 1990s.

Since then he has bought, driven and enjoyed 10 different Falcon models, from high-powered V8 utes to classic coupes.

He said he was disappointed by news earlier this month that Ford’s American bosses were plotting an end to the Australian made Falcon, citing the need for a single, large-car model to suit a global market.

This was despite the fact the Falcon has become as popular as a meat pie at the footy since it was first built here 50 years ago.

In a move which could further frustrate the Falcon faithful, the iconic model could be replaced by the Taurus, a front-wheel-drive American import which was brought here in the late 1990s but proved unpopular.

“Aside from the effect it could have on our jobs and economy, there could be issues with having spare parts readily available,” Mr Meesen said.

“One of the great things about the Falcon was that the parts were always readily available. With imports, we often have trouble in that regard.

“The manufacturers would need to guarantee that they are going to supply back up-parts if they were going to expect people to drive a car like the Taurus.”

It’s not just the convenience of the Falcon that will be missed, but the character.

So sought after are models like the 1971 XY GT now that a restored version could cost in the vicinity of $500,000.

Other rare models like the Cobra can also sell for exorbitant sums of money.

Mr Meesen’s history of Ford ownership includes XD, XE, AU, Fairlane, BA and BF models.

He currently has a 1966 XP coupe and a 1977 XC coupe in his garage, awaiting restoration.

He plans to restore the XC as a replica of the car that Allan Moffat drove when he won at Bathurst in 1977.

“I’ve got a close family association with the Falcon; my grandfather worked as an upholsterer in Ford’s Geelong factory in the early 1960s and my uncle worked in the engine plant in the 1970s,” he said.

“Dad always drove an XY V8 and now both of my brothers own the same model.

“I’ve always just liked the shape, I suppose, and just the car itself. Falcons have always been good reliable cars.”

The Falcon was the fifth highest selling car in Australia in 2009, with 31,023 sold compared to 44,387 Holden Commodores.

Ford’s Melbourne factories employ 4700 people to engineer and design Falcon and Territory models. Panels and engines are produced at Geelong, with assembly completed at Campbellfield, a suburb in Melbourne’s north."

sourced > http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/01/2...-to-scrap-car/

Last edited by Chopped; 25-01-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Chopped is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 02:33 PM   #339
cosmo20btt
Fordaholic

Quote:
Wow.....this made news in the UK >

Australia mourns as Ford Falcon rides into the sunset
It could be the end of a motoring era as a legendary car falls victim to global belt-tightening

By Kathy Marks in Sydney
Sunday, 24 January 2010

It is one of Australia's oldest and most deep-seated rivalries, more divisive than religion, politics or even football. And it is determined before you're born: depending on your family allegiance, you'll either be Holden or Ford, the only two car brands that count in the suburbs.

It matters not that both companies are American-owned (Holden by General Motors), because for decades their Australian subsidiaries have built models specially designed for the home market: in Holden's case the iconic Commodore, in Ford's case the equally iconic Falcon.

Now the nation – or, to be more precise, half the nation – is in mourning following news that the all-Australian Falcon is to be unceremoniously ditched. The US parent company has decided that it no longer makes economic sense to manufacture different models for different countries. "Those days are gone," Ford's world president and chief executive, Alan Mulally, declared at last week's Detroit Motor Show.

The timing could not be worse for Falcon lovers, preparing to celebrate the big sedan's 50th birthday later this year. Three Facebook sites have been set up by outraged fans, with even Holden supporters urging Ford to save Australia's longest-running model, in the interests of healthy competition.

Nearly every Australian has fond memories of family holidays spent travelling in the roomy Falcon or Commodore. Lovers of the vintage models spend all their free time and thousands of dollars carefully restoring and modifying old bangers.

The Falcon was Australia's fifth-highest-selling car last year, with sales of more than 31,000, compared with nearly 45,000 for the top-selling Commodore. However, all large car models in Australia have suffered from flagging sales in recent years because of higher fuel prices.

There are also fears, which Ford has done nothing to allay, that the Falcon's demise will spell the end of local manufacture. The Falcon has been the mainstay of those operations, with Ford Australia employing nearly 5,000 people at its factories in Victoria.

Mr Mulally declined to reveal whether it was part of the company's long-term strategy to retain the Australian business, which lost $274m (£153m) last year. He said: "Australia is a very important market for us and we've worked hard to be competitive. No matter what, we're going to serve the Australian market."

The first Ford Falcon, the XK sedan, rolled off the assembly line in September 1960. The current model, the seventh-generation FG series, launched two years ago, will not be replaced when production ends in 2015, although industry watchers say the name may survive on locally- badged cars.

Last weekend dozens of Falcon owners staged a protest rally in Queensland, driving in convoy along the picturesque coast road between Cairns and Port Douglas. Organisers pledged to lobby American executives to continue producing the model.

"We'll let them know how strongly we feel about it," said Neil Newcombe, a diehard Falcon fan. "From an Australian point of view, we want to keep [the car] as Australian as we can." Another Ford owner said: "The Falcon is a great Aussie icon. It would be a crime to get rid of it."

Although some Holden fans have been gleeful about the Falcon's passing, others have expressed solidarity. "If they stop making the Falcon, Holden will suffer as well," one warned on Facebook. "We'll have some crap front-wheel-drive thing from the US, so even the Holden fans should show their support."

sourced > http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...t-1877282.html

More "could" journalism.

EDIT >

Queensland Times !

Aussies don't want Falcon scrapped
Andrew Korner | 25th January 2010

Ford enthusiast Mark Meesen is not happy about the decision to cease manufacturing of the Ford Falcon in Australia.

Rob Williams
AS FAR as Falcon devotee Mark Meesen is concerned, Ford’s plans to scrap the all-Aussie-made model are disastrous not only from a purist’s point of view, but also from a practical one.

The 37-year-old Tarampa smash repair business owner began a 15-year interest in the Falcon when he forked out for his first 1979 XD model back in the mid 1990s.

Since then he has bought, driven and enjoyed 10 different Falcon models, from high-powered V8 utes to classic coupes.

He said he was disappointed by news earlier this month that Ford’s American bosses were plotting an end to the Australian made Falcon, citing the need for a single, large-car model to suit a global market.

This was despite the fact the Falcon has become as popular as a meat pie at the footy since it was first built here 50 years ago.

In a move which could further frustrate the Falcon faithful, the iconic model could be replaced by the Taurus, a front-wheel-drive American import which was brought here in the late 1990s but proved unpopular.

“Aside from the effect it could have on our jobs and economy, there could be issues with having spare parts readily available,” Mr Meesen said.

“One of the great things about the Falcon was that the parts were always readily available. With imports, we often have trouble in that regard.

“The manufacturers would need to guarantee that they are going to supply back up-parts if they were going to expect people to drive a car like the Taurus.”

It’s not just the convenience of the Falcon that will be missed, but the character.

So sought after are models like the 1971 XY GT now that a restored version could cost in the vicinity of $500,000.

Other rare models like the Cobra can also sell for exorbitant sums of money.

Mr Meesen’s history of Ford ownership includes XD, XE, AU, Fairlane, BA and BF models.

He currently has a 1966 XP coupe and a 1977 XC coupe in his garage, awaiting restoration.

He plans to restore the XC as a replica of the car that Allan Moffat drove when he won at Bathurst in 1977.

“I’ve got a close family association with the Falcon; my grandfather worked as an upholsterer in Ford’s Geelong factory in the early 1960s and my uncle worked in the engine plant in the 1970s,” he said.

“Dad always drove an XY V8 and now both of my brothers own the same model.

“I’ve always just liked the shape, I suppose, and just the car itself. Falcons have always been good reliable cars.”

The Falcon was the fifth highest selling car in Australia in 2009, with 31,023 sold compared to 44,387 Holden Commodores.

Ford’s Melbourne factories employ 4700 people to engineer and design Falcon and Territory models. Panels and engines are produced at Geelong, with assembly completed at Campbellfield, a suburb in Melbourne’s north."

sourced > http://www.qt.com.au/story/2010/01/2...-to-scrap-car/
Well it is more sensational to write this than say Falcon Mustang to be reunited.
cosmo20btt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:05 PM   #340
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Burela seems to keep hinting that Falcon could be front wheel drive...

Quote:

Sydney Morning Herald 25 January 2010

"Front-wheel-drive, rear-wheel-drive ... the response has been very mixed," Ford Australia president Marin Burela said.

"There's been a lot of feedback to date ... but the jury's still out there on rear-wheel-drive, front-wheel-drive, all-wheel-drive.

"There are those who are very strong large-car enthusiasts who take the view that says rear-wheel-drive, all-wheel-drive is the answer [for the Falcon], [and there are] those who are just looking for the comfort of a large car and are not disturbed by having a front-wheel-drive [Falcon]."
If Falcon was going to be paired with the Mustang, wouldnt he be saying 'customer response indicates that people want the Falcon to maintain the legendary performance, roadholding and towing ability which can only achieved by keeping Falcon rear wheel drive". Instead he seems to be CONSTANTLY saying that people dont care if the Falcon is front wheel drive or that enthusiasts think that all wheel drive is superior (by utter coincidence the Taurus is FWD and AWD....).

I would love to see some confirmation of the Mustang theory, because I continue to be very sceptical that its in the works.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #341
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I'm just amazed that someone actually believes Motor for times; it's like believing that Drive is an honest, unbiased publication.

Quote: