Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2010, 10:49 PM   #271
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
Confirming my butt!!!! He makes it sound as if Mulally confirmed, by word and intent, that "....yes, the Falcon will be built on the Taurus platform....", which NEVER happened. He is making a speculation based on a speculation.

What ever happened to journalism? If journalists would have done this 10-15 years ago they would be fired for doing such an irresponsible thing.

Steve
More to the point I'd like to know what (if any) action Ford are taking against this particular "journalist" for his repetitive Ford bashing.

Does anyone know anything about him, or have a picture of him, err, it?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:48 AM   #272
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
What ever happened to journalism? If journalists would have done this 10-15 years ago they would be fired for doing such an irresponsible thing.

Steve
It went out the window when they sold news sources to large corporations.
Old 21-01-2010, 02:27 AM   #273
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

It's funny because when dowling was at drive he was the ford kicker....then hagon sort of took over when he left. Now jez spinks got the gong. im sure these latest baseless, misguided and malicious stories are because of the earlier embarrasment, but the early stories were purely anti-ford motivated. Drive has been writing those stories for years....jez spinks (a pom!!) has just taken over.....

Either way, i can't believe so much effort is being wasted on a car that won't be revealed for 5 MORE YEARS....and a decision (internally) not even made for over 12 months. Proves that the journos have both nothing to write about that is relevant to here and now, and have a hard on for killing off the falcon and everything Ford.....

What we have here, my friends, is a bunch of losers!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #274
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
Either way, i can't believe so much effort is being wasted on a car that won't be revealed for 5 MORE YEARS....and a decision (internally) not even made for over 12 months. Proves that the journos have both nothing to write about that is relevant to here and now, and have a hard on for killing off the falcon and everything Ford.....

What we have here, my friends, is a bunch of losers!!

well said Swordsman88,
It's not enough for these little Holden apologists to gloat about their export
prospects, they then have to turn around and stick the knife into Ford.

Jezz Spinks has jumped the gun in my books, he's just cherry picked a second
hand quote from Angus McKenzie's Motor Trend, a know anti-Ford site.

I'm still seething that these people turned up to a major reveal of the global
Focus and all they could do is deliver their spin on a non-relative issue.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #275
Chilliman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These pro-Holden motoring journos know that GM is in pretty bad shape. Like I said before, if the General doesn't start turning it around this year, i.e. start making a profit, then GM's second bankruptcy will be permanent.

Somehow, Jez and Angus have some mis-guided belief that if they can deflect attention away from GM by publishing flimsy articles based on third-hand rumours about Ford and RWD.

In the mean time, Ford will continue with their plan to build the best cars they can in each catergory. They started with the light car class and Fiesta, they've just moved onto the small car catergory and Focus, next they'll move onto the medium/large FWDs (Mondeo/Fusion/Taurus) - they will get around to RWD when they are ready; which convienently will be around the time that both the new Mustang and Falcon are due!

"Torque is the new horsepower"
Chilliman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #276
Wally
XP Coupe

I'm not up with journalistic bias and such, but it seems to me, if there isn't a modicom of truth in the articles perhaps the intent is to draw out the truth by making up fanciful ones.

Logically Mulally has at least a five year rolling plan for the company that includes design motives, so to journalists/writers that would mean there shouldn't be any prevarication, even though they themselves are masters of the art. Let's face it, magazine writers are gossip columnists first, champions of truth, justice and the american way second.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #277
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Regardless of what the real story is, here are a couple of facts:

The No. 1 selling Falcon is now the XR6 - sporty looks, great performance and RWD.

The fleet hack is not as important as it used to be and Falcon is selling in greater volume in "higher series' ".

This needs to be VERY carefully approached and researched by FoA. This IS the biggest decision EVER for Ford in this country, and the pressure is greater than ever to 'tow' the corporate 'One Ford' line.

Ford make the right decision, Taurus = 'Epic Fail' in this country. It will be just another Camry....

Falcon is RWD NOT FWD or AWD. THAT IS THE FALCON BRAND.

Tampering with the tried and proven 'Falcon Formula' is disaster and Ford may just as well leave that segment if it does.
Fordman1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #278
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

The No. 1 selling Falcon is now the XR6 - sporty looks, great performance and RWD.

The fleet hack is not as important as it used to be and Falcon is selling in greater volume in "higher series' ".

Tampering with the tried and proven 'Falcon Formula' is disaster and Ford may just as well leave that segment if it does.

Is the current formula even working? They only sold 31,000 last year of the new model. When they axe the BF wagon, they will lose another 5,000 units, and as the FG gets older sales may fall further.

Maybe FWD and AWD with new platforms and drivetrains may be exactly what the Falcon needs to survive.

Oh and I think the comments about the high series being more purchased is grossly oversated. All that is happening is that the XR6 is the new fleet hack. With the last 5 Falcons I have rented they have ALL been XR6s, face it, Ford has just replaced the sales of one base model with another. Only 10% of Falcons are XR6 turbo, G6E turbo, and XR8.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:47 PM   #279
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Is the current formula even working? They only sold 31,000 last year of the new model. When they axe the BF wagon, they will lose another 5,000 units, and as the FG gets older sales may fall further.

Maybe FWD and AWD with new platforms and drivetrains may be exactly what the Falcon needs to survive.

Oh and I think the comments about the high series being more purchased is grossly oversated. All that is happening is that the XR6 is the new fleet hack. With the last 5 Falcons I have rented they have ALL been XR6s, face it, Ford has just replaced the sales of one base model with another. Only 10% of Falcons are XR6 turbo, G6E turbo, and XR8.
an more expensive fleet hack though and they are the most profitable arent they???? also did you count ute? territory? - They are ALL off the same line
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #280
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghiadude
an more expensive fleet hack though and they are the most profitable arent they???? also did you count ute? territory? - They are ALL off the same line
Im not so sure if they are that much more expensive, the rental companies are buying them for their standard large car, I doubt Ford are charging much more than an XT to get the business. Also the current XR6 36990 driveaway with Tech pack is significantly less expensive than the retail price of a XT.

Im not so sure about the ute, it has been strongly hinted that the ute wont continue after FG so the Falcon needs to survive solely on sedan volumes. Also Territory might be in the same boat due to OneFord.
Old 21-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #281
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
..... All that is happening is that the XR6 is the new fleet hack. With the last 5 Falcons I have rented they have ALL been XR6s, face it, Ford has just replaced the sales of one base model with another. Only 10% of Falcons are XR6 turbo, G6E turbo, and XR8.

Just like the Belmont got swallowed up by the Kingswood and then the Kingswood got swallowed by the Commodore.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #282
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Im not so sure if they are that much more expensive, the rental companies are buying them for their standard large car, I doubt Ford are charging much more than an XT to get the business. Also the current XR6 36990 driveaway with Tech pack is significantly less expensive than the retail price of a XT.

Im not so sure about the ute, it has been strongly hinted that the ute wont continue after FG so the Falcon needs to survive solely on sedan volumes. Also Territory might be in the same boat due to OneFord.
dude, either focus on you day job, or read. The ute's lifespan is more confirmed than the sedan.
Sedan for Sedan, Ute for Ute, and I could not be bothered honouring you by doing the maths, but most likely almost wagon for wagon (incl the high ground clearance one) the falc equals it competition.

being the fourth placed model in a country is not a death knell - especially for a platform car.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #283
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
dude, either focus on you day job, or read. The ute's lifespan is more confirmed than the sedan.
Sedan for Sedan, Ute for Ute, and I could not be bothered honouring you by doing the maths, but most likely almost wagon for wagon (incl the high ground clearance one) the falc equals it competition.

being the fourth placed model in a country is not a death knell - especially for a platform car.
Dude - Chill. Play the ball not the man.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #284
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Regardless of what the real story is, here are a couple of facts:

Come this time next year, the Ecoboost I-4 Falcon will be here and is aimed
directly at government and private fleet sales. If it is as successful as Ford
thinks, it could nearly double sales. That could almost guarantee that the
next falcon will be RWD - Wouldn't that be great!

The I-4 will probably offer enough differentiation to prevent I-6 and V8
resale values from suffering due to increased fleet sales.

Funny how the media judges Ford's 2015 future on what's happening now
instead of where it will be in 12 months time......
Old 21-01-2010, 07:43 PM   #285
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:

Ford is sending out everything they are sellng (not like the old days where they had cars sitting in Broady for a year). If the wagon does go it means that there is room to build more sedans, utes and terri's without going through the expensive process of increasing the line units. Ford a looking at doing it now so this could be a very cheap way of doing it.
Old 21-01-2010, 07:48 PM   #286
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Not to mention the operational cost savings of not having to fart around with wagon-specific parts supply and manufacturing wagon panel blanks at the stamping plant - they will go from 4 body types down to 3, that extra capacity could come in very handy.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 21-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #287
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

But they are not building at capacity now? Why would they need to free up more capacity?

Where's the logic in this again?

I'm not convinced that the EB4 is going to do as well as they think - mainly because of the Hybrid Camry. What it needs to succeed is either:

* they pull a rabit out of their hat and get it to be more economical than the Camry Hybrid, or
* it has marginally higher consumption but dramatically better quality or driveability.

It will make more sense that the SIDI 3.0 for sure, which strugles to better the economy of the I6 in day to day driving, but I think that landscape will change significantly. If Ford Oz could do a super economical diesel like the econetic, that would be a different story. And yet Ford refuse to even contemplate the Diesel Falcon. Insane.

Lukeyson
Old 21-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #288
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier
But they are not building at capacity now? Why would they need to free up more capacity?

Where's the logic in this again?

I'm not convinced that the EB4 is going to do as well as they think - mainly because of the Hybrid Camry. What it needs to succeed is either:

* they pull a rabit out of their hat and get it to be more economical than the Camry Hybrid, or
* it has marginally higher consumption but dramatically better quality or driveability.
They're not building at the Factories capacity, but what they are building is moving out and there is a waiting list for certain models. To increase (or decrease) the line speed is a costly process its not like turning on a tap. Having room for more units a month without increasing the line speed would be very cost effective, especially if it means more higher end models out the door.
Old 21-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #289
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
They're not building at the Factories capacity, but what they are building is moving out and there is a waiting list for certain models. To increase (or decrease) the line speed is a costly process its not like turning on a tap. Having room for more units a month without increasing the line speed would be very cost effective, especially if it means more higher end models out the door.
Factory capacity is 120,000.

They are building about 57,000.

They are building at "Line balance" capacity (what the plant was "down balanced" to in 2008 and 2009).

To build SIGNIFICANTLY more they need to hire, increase line speed and also rebalance Stamping, Engine, Bodyshop, Paint, and "Trim and Final".

They will pick up extra depand in 2010 (if it occurs) with Saturday's. I doubt there will be a line speed increase in the next 12 to 18 months.

It's a shame because the Falcon is in a diminishing market segment.

Hopefully the Territory update next year sells up a storm !
Old 21-01-2010, 09:11 PM   #290
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
They are building at "Line balance" capacity (what the plant was "down balanced" to in 2008 and 2009).
There was two in 2006 (well trim and final was). Should be 550 to 270 units a day.
Old 21-01-2010, 09:27 PM   #291
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
There was two in 2006 (well trim and final was). Should be 550 to 270 units a day.
And one in late 2008..

I think at that stage it went from 320 to about 260 ish.
Old 21-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #292
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Plaizier

* they pull a rabbit out of their hat and get it to be more economical than the Camry Hybrid, or

It will make more sense that the SIDI 3.0 for sure, which strugles to better the economy of the I6 in day to day driving, but I think that landscape will change significantly. If Ford Oz could do a super economical diesel like the econetic, that would be a different story. And yet Ford refuse to even contemplate the Diesel Falcon. Insane.

Lukeyson
Hybrid Camry will be built in limited numbers, Toyota says 10,000 but I'm skeptical of that figure particularly when they will be priced at fleets......

Also depends on the driving done, Hybrids do much better in city driving where as EB Falcon will be seen as a big improvement all around. The difference between 6L/100km and 8L/100 km is not as much as 10L/100 km so maybe fleet managers take that into account as well.

Re diesel V6 - like the Duratec v6, it doesn't quite fit under Falcons low bonnet line...

I'm betting the decision on the V6 diesel falcon was made before last year's dramatic turnaround in product mix. Even with the diesel's premium price, I wonder if the same Ecoboost I-4 decision would have been made with the hindsight of strengthening private sales
Old 21-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #293
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
And one in late 2008..

I think at that stage it went from 320 to about 260 ish.
Your most likely right, wasn't there in 08.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:34 AM   #294
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss315
... but I still think the article raised some interesting points.
Such as?

The guy is into selling magazines and hits. There is no substance in an article that is based on conjecture and guessing, is there.

To say "Falcon is dead", is to say GRWD is dead.

Simple. If I could make that any simpler I would.

Taurus will be coming here. Good. It's another option. Some will buy it, some won't.

Mustang is going global. We'll get that, too.

Lincoln is going RWD. It's current focus is the U.S.. Long term, it's global, just like Lexus is to Toyota, targeting Euros. So eventually, it will be offered here. That's why they'll call it the GLOBAL Rear Wheel Drive.

There'll be a LWB. And there'll be a SWB. Guess what the SWB will be called here. And then, guess what the LWB will be called here.

His reasoning as to why Falcon is dead isn't any more intelligent or mature than Jez Stinks' twisting the CEO's words.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:47 AM   #295
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man

Taurus will be coming here. Good. It's another option. Some will buy it, some won't.

So will we have Mondeo, Falcon and Taurus all sitting in the same showroom..? Thats starting to get a little ridiculous.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:59 AM   #296
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
So will we have Mondeo, Falcon and Taurus all sitting in the same showroom..? Thats starting to get a little ridiculous.
Read what you doubt, and you'll understand why it isn't ridiculous.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:21 AM   #297
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Oh will someone please pull out the violins for the naysayers.

THAT VVVVVV is a reliable insider.

Quote:
In all honesty, nothing is really truly set in concrete yet, except for the general idea to leverage Ford of Australia's RWD engineering on a global scale. Lots of really good ideas on the table. Mustang and Falcon will share parts and some engineering, and Lincoln and Thunderbird will probably end up in the picture.

In my head, based on what I've heard as being on the table, combined with my own opinion, here's my take:

-There should be two versions of this new GRWD platform... one for sedans, one for coupes. The Mustang needs a unique rear-end and floorpan to accommodate the fastback. Regarding coupes, they should expand to include a Lincoln coupe and a Falcon coupe. Similar underpinnings, but the Lincoln built in Michigan, and the Falcon built in Australia, wearing Falcon-esque skin.

-Regarding sedans... there should be two general bodyshells. A more upright, formal bodyshell, and a swoopier 4-door coupe bodyshell. Sell the upright one as the next-generation MKS and Falcon (and a cheapo version as a police interceptor), and the swoopier one as a Thunderbird and a smaller Lincoln companion, MKR. The swoopier one can share some parts with the Mustang, even.
Old 22-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #298
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Its interesting that ford canned the home built Focus to concentrate on the falcon...

Thats a good sign.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2010, 12:01 PM   #299
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Oh will someone please pull out the violins for the naysayers.

THAT VVVVVV is a reliable insider.
Yeah I saw that post. Not doubting his info, but his opinion of multiple bodyshells is a bit unworkable. Unless he means top hat bodies?

Old 22-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #300
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Yeah I saw that post. Not doubting his info, but his opinion of multiple bodyshells is a bit unworkable. Unless he means top hat bodies?
Aston martin manage to do ith with the DB9/V8 Vantage/Rapide- they're all using the same basic chassis underneath, with slightly different dimensions in certain critical places. Admittedly, they all look very similar but there is quite a range of sizes in their line up. If an essentially boutique company such as AML can do that then Ford should have relatively little trouble with a similar idea between Mustang/Falcon/Fairlane/etc sizes.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post