Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2017, 10:13 PM   #1
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question 2015 to 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander with manual transmission

Hi all

Just wanted to know if anyone here owns a 2015 to 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander with a manual transmission? If so would love to know thoughts good an bad about it. Any info much appreciated.

Thanks
James

[B]2000 AU2 Fairmont Wagon - Congo Green
Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
zlcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2017, 10:07 AM   #2
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2015 to 2017 Mitsubishi Outlander with manual transmission

So no one owns or knows someone who owns one?

Factory Smart Bullbar, Hayman Reese Heavy Duty 2300kg Towpack and Front and Rear Mudflaps.
Old 27-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I work at Mitsi. They are ok. No major problems. My neighbour has one too.

The petrol engine can be a bit noisy but its usually due to the adjustable valve clearances. Quite rare to see a manual we barely see them through the dealer.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #4
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the reply Windsor220

The large dealership i work at regularly purchases ex rental Outlanders an i know exactly what you mean about the noisey engines. But of course being ex rentals they are CVTs. We own a Mitsubishi dealership but its 100kms away from me and the nearest one we don't own an know where i work so would maybe be awkward. But they have a brand new MY17 manual one in stock.

Have you driven many? How does the gearbox feel, notchy or nice an smooth?

Any info or as much detail is much appreciated

Thanks
James

Old 28-02-2017, 08:18 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know the poster Pavlov in the Whirlpool forums has one, you should post and ask for an opinion

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru...t=2382786&p=64
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hat a cvt one and loved it but I've never driven the manual

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 08:47 PM   #7
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I know the poster Pavlov in the Whirlpool forums has one, you should post and ask for an opinion

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/foru...t=2382786&p=64
Thands for your reply.

Is his manual?

Old 28-02-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah his is manual
Old 28-02-2017, 09:02 PM   #9
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah his is manual
Thanks. Couldn't find him on there

Old 28-02-2017, 09:08 PM   #10
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlcrazy View Post
Thanks for the reply Windsor220

The large dealership i work at regularly purchases ex rental Outlanders an i know exactly what you mean about the noisey engines. But of course being ex rentals they are CVTs. We own a Mitsubishi dealership but its 100kms away from me and the nearest one we don't own an know where i work so would maybe be awkward. But they have a brand new MY17 manual one in stock.

Have you driven many? How does the gearbox feel, notchy or nice an smooth?

Any info or as much detail is much appreciated

Thanks
James
I would have driven one at some point but cant remember what it was like as I've driven way too many cars since then.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2017, 09:10 PM   #11
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you also considered a new manual Ford Escape? The 1.5 turbo will offer more grunt and I believe the Escape has rear AC vents
Old 28-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #12
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you also considered a new manual Ford Escape? The 1.5 turbo will offer more grunt and I believe the Escape has rear AC vents
Working at a Ford Dealer we haven't had a new Ford Escape manual arrive yet. Not sure we even have one on order. Would love to test drive one tho.

Old 28-02-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I would have driven one at some point but cant remember what it was like as I've driven way too many cars since then.
Yeah i get that. Same here.

Old 28-02-2017, 09:19 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Working at a Ford Dealer we haven't had a new Ford Escape manual arrive yet. Not sure we even have one on order. Would love to test drive one tho.
Came very close to buying an Outlander a few months back but basically at the last moment went to an XTrail. The Escape looks like a great package especially with its new motor. I was only looking for autos but I think this segment of car would really suit a manual trans.
Old 28-02-2017, 09:26 PM   #15
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Came very close to buying an Outlander a few months back but basically at the last moment went to an XTrail. The Escape looks like a great package especially with its new motor. I was only looking for autos but I think this segment of car would really suit a manual trans.
Yeah ive driven the T32 Xtrail brand new in both manual and CVT. Love the X-Trail range too. Why didn't you go with the manual option if you don't mind me asking?

Old 28-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah ive driven the T32 Xtrail brand new in both manual and CVT. Love the X-Trail range too. Why didn't you go with the manual option if you don't mind me asking?
My wife wanted an auto, our other car is a manual so I was happy to go with the flow and it would primarily be her car. Also we could get much better deals on auto as these are what the dealers stock
This user likes this post:
Old 28-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #17
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My wife wanted an auto, our other car is a manual so I was happy to go with the flow and it would primarily be her car. Also we could get much better deals on auto as these are what the dealers stock
Win win then. The Nissan dealer where i test drove the X-Trail was shocked i actually wanted to test drive the manual an insisted i test drove the CVT afterwards

Old 28-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #18
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

CVTs are an acquired taste, some people hate them, I like them.

With the XTrail the manual comes with a 2.0 direct injected engine the auto has the 2.5 but older tech port injection

You can't really go wrong with any of these medium SUVs, I never really saw the point of them but now I think of them as the perfect all rounder. Trick is drive as many as you can as the journalist reviews really often don't reflect your needs and wants.
Old 28-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
CVTs are an acquired taste, some people hate them, I like them.

With the XTrail the manual comes with a 2.0 direct injectedengine, the auto has the 2.5 but older tech port injection
I hated CVTs until I drove the X-Trail. Was really impressed. Not sure what id pick

Old 28-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #20
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hated CVTs until I drove the X-Trail. Was really impressed. Not sure what id pick
Yeah can't go wrong really with many of them. Apparently there are 28 entrants in this segment. Drive a lot a come up with a list of stuff that you really want.

On top of decent driveability and versatility. We really wanted proximity key and rear AC vents. In auto 2wd form the XTrail has a 2.5 engine whereas it's base competitors come with a 2.0. The engine difference is noticeable.

We were able to pick up a STL which has leather, sat Nav, 360 degree camera, heated electric seats, for 32k.

They are a fantastic family car, lots of clever details you don't notice till we owned it.We really like ours.
Old 28-02-2017, 11:33 PM   #21
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Do they run a 4B11 engine? An Evo swap would be fun and nobody would second guess being destroyed by an Outlander
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #22
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah can't go wrong really with many of them. Apparently there are 28 entrants in this segment. Drive a lot a come up with a list of stuff that you really want.

On top of decent driveability and versatility. We really wanted proximity key and rear AC vents. In auto 2wd form the XTrail has a 2.5 engine whereas it's base competitors come with a 2.0. The engine difference is noticeable.

We were able to pick up a STL which has leather, sat Nav, 360 degree camera, heated electric seats, for 32k.

They are a fantastic family car, lots of clever details you don't notice till we owned it.We really like ours.
Sounds like you got a good deal. Yeah i need to work on a proper list. Theres some good options out there.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #23
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
The thing with CVT's is that they are great for tootling around town, A to B driving ect, which is precisely what most vehicles fitted with a CVT are designed to do. For the average driver they do a pretty good job and most wouldn't know the difference to a torque converter auto anyway.

CVT's get a bad wrap with car enthusiast's because once the foot gets deeper into the throttle it all turns to mushiness. They lack the proper ability to use the full range of revs and feel unresponsive to enthusiastic driving, even with the programmed "gears" many now feature.

I personally prefer a traditional torque converter automatic to either a CVT or DCT but for general round town driving, a CVT has its merits.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #24
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The thing with CVT's is that they are great for tootling around town, A to B driving ect, which is precisely what most vehicles fitted with a CVT are designed to do. For the average driver they do a pretty good job and most wouldn't know the difference to a torque converter auto anyway.

CVT's get a bad wrap with car enthusiast's because once the foot gets deeper into the throttle it all turns to mushiness. They lack the proper ability to use the full range of revs and feel unresponsive to enthusiastic driving, even with the programmed "gears" many now feature.

I personally prefer a traditional torque converter automatic to either a CVT or DCT but for general round town driving, a CVT has its merits.
Thanks for your reply. Would you personally prefer a manual or CVT?

Old 01-03-2017, 06:16 PM   #25
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Would you personally prefer a manual or CVT?
Hmmm, hard one.

If the car is to used as round town proposition, the CVT will be fine. They can actually be quite good at keeping the revs and therefore noise down in gentle, everyday driving.

Thing is, the manual sounds like the one you want, but you will have to wait for someone like yourself to pop up once its time to move it on.

I would go with the CVT...................except I wouldn't because I would choose the torque converter auto Ford Escape or Mazda CX-5
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2017, 06:36 PM   #26
zlcrazy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Hmmm, hard one.

If the car is to used as round town proposition, the CVT will be fine. They can actually be quite good at keeping the revs and therefore noise down in gentle, everyday driving.

Thing is, the manual sounds like the one you want, but you will have to wait for someone like yourself to pop up once its time to move it on.

I would go with the CVT...................except I wouldn't because I would choose the torque converter auto Ford Escape or Mazda CX-5
Sure is a tough one.