Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #121
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Have Useless "Safety" Features gone too far?

I am all for it, if technology stops someone crashing into me, or drifting into my lane its a good thing. A lot of people cant drive, and even though you can drive you still share the road with people that cant. Driving skills are only getting worse, take the tech out of cars and watch the road toll climb.

No government is going to increase drivers skills (or make it harder to get a license) So if you want a lower road toll, then tech is your only hope - Unless you want the government to continue lowering speed limits.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #122
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076 View Post
I am all for it, if technology stops someone crashing into me, or drifting into my lane its a good thing. A lot of people cant drive, and even though you can drive you still share the road with people that cant. Driving skills are only getting worse, take the tech out of cars and watch the road toll climb.

No government is going to increase drivers skills (or make it harder to get a license) So if you want a lower road toll, then tech is your only hope - Unless you want the government to continue lowering speed limits.
I'm of the opposite opinion,
I reckon all the tech crap in cars today encourage drivers to speed, travel to far (fatigue) and do stupid things because they think they're invincible. It's not a lounge room, it's a mode of transport.

Last edited by roKWiz; 20-02-2017 at 03:22 PM.
roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #123
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

The bottom line is I WANT the loser checking his text messages and drifting into my lane to have lane monitoring, and the moron who is stoned behind me to have emergency brake assist.
They work for all users not just you
Old 20-02-2017, 04:14 PM   #124
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT View Post
The bottom line is I WANT the loser checking his text messages and drifting into my lane to have lane monitoring, and the moron who is stoned behind me to have emergency brake assist.
They work for all users not just you
It won't stop them crashing, whether its into you or anyone else.
Similar to drivers under the impression that traction control will stop you aquaplaning, technology doesn't stop stupidity.
I still find it amazing how many newish cars crash off freeways. Usually some dipstick doing 130kph in rain hoping technology will keep him safe.

Old 20-02-2017, 05:01 PM   #125
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I reckon all the tech crap in cars today encourage drivers to speed, travel to far (fatigue) and do stupid things because they think they're invincible. It's not a lounge room, it's a mode of transport.
I think drivers have changed, they are not interested in driving (or cars) A lot wouldn't be able to change a wheel or check oil levels. If their interest isn't in why try to be a good driver? If you can change that attitude driving standards would increase (but I dont see it changing any time soon)

Lots of bad drivers are driving vehicles with no tech - the more tech becomes mainstream the more chance these average drivers get more assistance and it helps protect the rest of us.

Keep in mind manufacturers would analyse data and try to make there cars as safe as possible, so I believe the tech is a reaction to how we drive (not vice versa)

Edit put it this way, there will be a time in the future when it will be difficult to crash a car. It wont be because we have mastered driving, it will be the tech inside the car

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2017, 05:11 PM   #126
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Similar to drivers under the impression that traction control will stop you aquaplaning, technology doesn't stop stupidity.
I still find it amazing how many newish cars crash off freeways. Usually some dipstick doing 130kph in rain hoping technology will keep him safe.
Save lives not money.

Ban cheap tyres so owners can't replace the OEM equipment with a lesser grade just to save a quid.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 05:39 PM   #127
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Emergency Brake Assist will DRAMATICALLY reduce the impact speed and therefore increase your chances of surviving enormously. Dont under estimate how much speed that system will wipe off the car in milliseconds
Even adaptive cruise control will keep a defined distance between you and the car in front and reduce your speed accordingly.
Old 22-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #128
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Car companies should put these saftey features on the cars without telling people. That way the idiots wont rely on them to keep them safe.
Only problem is safety features are a bragging point and help dealers sell cars for more money or make the car sound better than the competition.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 10:00 PM   #129
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Only problem is safety features are a bragging point and help dealers sell cars for more money or make the car sound better than the competition.
Ironically, Volvo, the one car manufacturer who banged on about safety features for so long, (early seventy) no longer sell their cars like that as everyone else now does.

Old 22-02-2017, 10:44 PM   #130
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ironically, Volvo, the one car manufacturer who banged on about safety features for so long, (early seventy) no longer sell their cars like that as everyone else now does.
Are you sure about that?

Volvo's bold and ambitious mission statement centres around safety - it's a huge competitive advantage for them and very much still core to their marketing approach. "No one will ever die in a Volvo built after 2020" No other manufacturer has come close to such a bold ambition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Car companies should put these saftey features on the cars without telling people. That way the idiots wont rely on them to keep them safe.
I think this line of thinking is way way overblown. Non car people - ie 98% of the population, have absolutely no idea what TCS, AEB, DSC, ABS, or any other auto-acronym means. I've explained to a few friends what DSC can do = minds blown. Very few people know what these features actually do, so I don't believe they have any affect - negative or positive, on the vast majority of drivers attitudes.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #131
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
Are you sure about that?

I think this line of thinking is way way overblown. Non car people - ie 98% of the population, have absolutely no idea what TCS, AEB, DSC, ABS, or any other auto-acronym means. I've explained to a few friends what DSC can do = minds blown. Very few people know what these features actually do, so I don't believe they have any affect - negative or positive, on the vast majority of drivers attitudes.
I have given up counting the amount of times drivers in modern cars with Blind Spot Alert the light ablaze in the mirror and they still try to change lanes.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2017, 11:37 PM   #132
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
I have given up counting the amount of times drivers in modern cars with Blind Spot Alert the light ablaze in the mirror and they still try to change lanes.
Another good example of the driver not even aware of the safety feature fitted to their own car.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #133
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
....and I'm of the total opposite opinion to your post. 'Tech crap' - righto
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #134
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Are you sure about that?

"No one will ever die in a Volvo built after 2020"
Only of boredom !

Wow, they're still banging on about it.

Old 23-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #135
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Son was telling me over Xmas he had a bloke cut in on him from the Left so instead of braking he let the car keep going to give the bloke a scare.
His car automatically jammed the brakes on & he was the one who got the scare!
He said the auto breaking was very hard & violent.
Makes me wonder what would happen in a line of 100 KPH cars on the Freeway when a big piece of paper blows up and your car jams the brakes on for no apparent reason to the drivers behind you. I'm sure they have some sort of sensitivity but even simple intentional late braking like my Son could cause you to get rear ended.
I bet I'm not the only person who's spun the back wheels to flick a tight U turn but now with traction control I'll probably finish up flying up someones driveway.
I confess to being a little bit scared of my air bags too, I'd like to be able to turn it on & off just like the traction control.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #136
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
My Son was telling me over Xmas he had a bloke cut in on him from the Left so instead of braking he let the car keep going to give the bloke a scare.
His car automatically jammed the brakes on & he was the one who got the scare!
He said the auto breaking was very hard & violent.
Makes me wonder what would happen in a line of 100 KPH cars on the Freeway when a big piece of paper blows up and your car jams the brakes on for no apparent reason to the drivers behind you. I'm sure they have some sort of sensitivity but even simple intentional late braking like my Son could cause you to get rear ended.
I bet I'm not the only person who's spun the back wheels to flick a tight U turn but now with traction control I'll probably finish up flying up someones driveway.
I confess to being a little bit scared of my air bags too, I'd like to be able to turn it on & off just like the traction control.
Doesn't that prove the systems worked? Took over in circumstances where the driver should have?

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #137
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure it does Grunter but there are times you don't want the system to work.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #138
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
Probably the very reason the driver is going to change lanes regardless of their ignorant behaviour to other drivers on the road, they make a decision & follow through with their actions, simple case of poor driving skills.

I see this every day while driving.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-02-2017, 10:15 PM   #139
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Another good example of the driver not even aware of the safety feature fitted to their own car.
Doubt it. Douches are douches regardless of safety features.