Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 07-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #1
R12RT

Default Mondeo delivery lead time.

The order for my MD Mondeo Titanium Diesel Hatch was placed early last November. At the time the dealer advised me that delivery of the vehicle would be in March.

I contacted the dealer a few weeks ago to confirm the March delivery and to get a more specific date. I was then advised that delivery has been delayed and the car should be arriving May 14th.

I am curious to know what delivery times others have experienced with their Mondeos.

Cheers. John.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Paulg05

Default Re: Mondeo delivery lead time.

I ordered my Trend Diesel Hatch at the end of April start of May and i didn't receive it till late September last year.
Paulg05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
DougalXR6

I placed an order for my Trend Ecoboost Hatch on 23 July 2015 and delivery was on 24 December 2015.

So I could have the car over the Christmas / New Year period, I had to take the car back in mid January for three days so as they could have the rear spoiler I had ordered with the car painted and fitted.

The dealer lent me a Focus demonstrator for the three days.

Last edited by DougalXR6; 08-03-2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Additional information
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #4
2ndMondeo
Starter Motor

7 months.
2011 Renault Megane RS250 Trophy
2007 MA Mondeo XR5
2ndMondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #5
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

umm... months.... you've got to be kidding !!!

OMG ! Is this the new 'normal' for a new car these days?
I don't want to wait 6 months for my new car. I want it tomorrow, but can wait a week or two.
I mean, a Mondeo isn't exactly like a Porsche or special build Audi / BMW.

This sounds like 'build only to order'.
Mondeo supply issues deja vu?
Other peoples opinions?

p.s. I can get a whole house built in 7 months !!
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
umm... months.... you've got to be kidding !!!

OMG ! Is this the new 'normal' for a new car these days?
I don't want to wait 6 months for my new car. I want it tomorrow, but can wait a week or two.
I mean, a Mondeo isn't exactly like a Porsche or special build Audi / BMW.

This sounds like 'build only to order'.
Mondeo supply issues deja vu?
Other peoples opinions?

p.s. I can get a whole house built in 7 months !!
From my experience it is the new norm. I understand from my Ford dealer that Aussie production of the Mondeo only happens spasmodically in Spain, effectively a day every now and then. This is due in part to the global popularity of the car and the fact that production of Fords is now aligned to demand. Other makers follow the same route - my new Mazda took four months from order to delivery.

It may also explain why they don't advertise the Mondeo on the TV, why bother when you can sell all you can make.
Old 16-03-2016, 08:16 PM   #7
R12RT

The Ford Valencia plant produces about 2000 vehicles a day.

This means that it takes the factory about one hour to produce the 250 vehicles that Ford sells in Australia.

I would have assumed that Ford Australia would have some understanding of the production schedules that they could then pass onto the dealers. The dealer's could than give customers a better estimation of the delivery date.

In my experience the dealer was initially very vague on the delivery date. Sometime in March was the first "date". I have now been told the car will be arriving on May 14th. I can't say I'm overly confident that this is accurate.

If I don't hear from the dealer first I will be contacting them in the first week of April to see if they are able to tell me if the car is on a boat on the way here.

In the meantime...Waiting...Waiting...
Old 16-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #8
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ordered January 17. ETA April 23. Delivery probably won't be until late April or early May, given that it is subject to me being satisfied with the car on inspection, and once I'm satisfied, they'll need to order the optional 10 double spoke alloys.

I've got no issues with waiting beyond that date. As far as I'm concerned, the wait will be worth it, and further, it means that I get to spend more time with my Fairmont.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #9
cyclone1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12RT View Post
The Ford Valencia plant produces about 2000 vehicles a day.

This means that it takes the factory about one hour to produce the 250 vehicles that Ford sells in Australia.

I would have assumed that Ford Australia would have some understanding of the production schedules that they could then pass onto the dealers. The dealer's could than give customers a better estimation of the delivery date.

In my experience the dealer was initially very vague on the delivery date. Sometime in March was the first "date". I have now been told the car will be arriving on May 14th. I can't say I'm overly confident that this is accurate.

If I don't hear from the dealer first I will be contacting them in the first week of April to see if they are able to tell me if the car is on a boat on the way here.

In the meantime...Waiting...Waiting...
Whilst I agree with you, I can only assume that it doesn't work that way. Using my CX-3 as an example it took around 2 months from the date we paid the deposit and ordered the car before we actually got a delivery month (which turned out to be wrong), and it wasn't until the car actually rolled off the production line in Japan that the dealer could give us a reasonable idea of when it would arrive. Even that last step was out by a week. Conversations with purchasers of other brands seem to give a similar story.

The only time I have ever seen an accurate date was when my brother purchased a Falcon many years ago which was factory optioned to the hilt. The dealer gave him a date that proved to be spot on when the car was delivered a few weeks later.

The upshot of all this of course is the pain we suffer waiting for the damn thing to arrive. First world problem I guess but still not fun.
Old 16-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
R12RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Ordered January 17. ETA April 23. Delivery probably won't be until late April or early May, given that it is subject to me being satisfied with the car on inspection, and once I'm satisfied, they'll need to order the optional 10 double spoke alloys.

I've got no issues with waiting beyond that date. As far as I'm concerned, the wait will be worth it, and further, it means that I get to spend more time with my Fairmont.

It's interesting that your car was ordered over two months after mine yet you delivery is estimated to be one month before.

Jealous if it works out!

I think the wait will be worth it!
Old 17-03-2016, 04:09 PM   #11
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's interesting that your car was ordered over two months after mine yet you delivery is estimated to be one month before.

Jealous if it works out!

I think the wait will be worth it!
I called the salesman immediately after that post to get an updated ETA, and apparently that's now been pushed back to April 30.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ETA gets pushed back further - I was told about this possibility when I placed the order.
Old 17-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #12
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and Ford wonder why their cars arent selling!!!!!!!!
Old 17-03-2016, 05:18 PM   #13
R12RT

Quote:
I called the salesman immediately after that post to get an updated ETA, and apparently that's now been pushed back to April 30.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ETA gets pushed back further - I was told about this possibility when I placed the order.
Captain Google tells me that it is about 45 days sailing time from Valencia to Fremantle.

So for a April 30 arrival your car should be on the water today. Earlier if you are on the East coast.
Old 17-03-2016, 05:20 PM   #14
R12RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
and Ford wonder why their cars arent selling!!!!!!!!
Yeah. You would hate to be a Ford dealer. You've got customers but they are walking out the door because you can't get cars to sell.
Old 17-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #15
Mondaveo

So what's the point of the simplified model range if they are apparently building the cars to order in Valencia?

There's not a lot to option on these cars - our Ambiente, Trend and Titanium are standardised specs and other than paint and (sometimes) motor, you can only pick things like spoilers and wheels that dealers bolt on after the fact. Not like you can choose a different grade of infotainment system, or add a sunroof, as I'm sure they offer in other markets.

I had thought the whole point of that was so they could build up a good supply of cars for each spec, land them in Australia and go from there, but apparently not? Do the dealers fear they'll be stuck with an unpopular colour they'll have to fire sale or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a problem in NZ. We just don't get any options!
Old 17-03-2016, 11:07 PM   #17
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Yeah. You would hate to be a Ford dealer. You've got customers but they are walking out the door because you can't get cars to sell.
I stand by my earlier comment.
No car (for uncertain months), means I will take my $$$ elsewhere.
Lessons not learned since 2008 when the Mondeo MK4 (MA-MC) first appeared on the market.
Great car (incl my MB XR5), but if you can't get one when you want it, then
Old 20-04-2016, 02:04 PM   #18
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Update - mine arrived at the dealer yesterday. If all goes to plan I should take delivery early next month.
Old 20-04-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
R12RT

Quote:
Update - mine arrived at the dealer yesterday. If all goes to plan I should take delivery early next month.

Great news!!

I've been told mine won't be arriving until the middle of June.

Apparently it is sitting on the dock waiting for a ship...

How come it is taking so long to predeliver your car?
Old 20-04-2016, 05:48 PM   #20
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Great news!!

I've been told mine won't be arriving until the middle of June.

Apparently it is sitting on the dock waiting for a ship...
Sorry to hear that. Has the dealer told you when the car was built? Mine was built in Feb, so if yours was built around the same time, it seems odd that mine made it onto the ship and yours didn't.
Old 20-04-2016, 05:52 PM   #21
R12RT

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. Has the dealer told you when the car was built? Mine was built in Feb, so if yours was built around the same time, it seems odd that mine made it onto the ship and yours didn't.
The whole order process is odd.

A look on carsales shows that two cars of the same spec that I have ordered have been delivered to dealers in the Eastern States while I've been waiting for mine.

The dealer is in the dark and is guessing that my car was held up by customs.
Old 20-04-2016, 05:59 PM   #22
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Mondeo sales are up, that said its not good read that Ford are having on-going supply issues with the Mondeo, Ranger (some models), Focus RS and the Mustang..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #23
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

As I write, there are 137 Mondeos listed on Carsales , or about half an hours worth of production. With somewhere between 28 and 52 vehicles depending on state.

Doesn't seem like much stock on hand. I wonder if the final demise of Falcon will change their stock policy. Opinions?

And congrats to those people who have actually managed to get their hands on an MD.

UPDATE: Diesel 115, Petrol 22
UPDATE2: 1x local Titanium Petrol.... listed as to order

Last edited by allanv6gt; 20-04-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 20-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #24
R12RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt View Post
As I write, there are 137 Mondeos listed on Carsales , or about half an hours worth of production. With somewhere between 28 and 52 vehicles depending on state.

Doesn't seem like much stock on hand. I wonder if the final demise of Falcon will change their stock policy. Opinions?

And congrats to those people who have actually managed to get their hands on an MD.

UPDATE: Diesel 115, Petrol 22
UPDATE2: 1x local Titanium Petrol.... listed as to order
It wii be interesting to see if the demise of the Falcon does have an impact on stock levels.

It appears to me that the issues could be as much to do with Ford's order system. They don't seem to have any idea when it comes to the factory's manufacturing schedule or the shipping schedule to Australia.

If they knew this they should be able to tighten down the delivery lead times.

As for the stock numbers. I can't see the dealers paying to put stock in their yards when Ford Australia isn't promoting the vehicle.

Are dealers able to procure stock fron other dealers to fulfill orders? Doesn't appear to happen.
Old 21-04-2016, 09:34 PM   #25
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Are dealers able to procure stock fron other dealers to fulfill orders? Doesn't appear to happen.
When I bought my MB XR5 in 2010 I visited the local dealer on a Saturday afternoon ready to sign on the line. That location didn't have an XR5, another of their dealerships in town did, but wrong colour. Knowing that all inventory is computerised these days, I asked if they could check for stock at other dealers. NSW had 25+ XR5s, as did VIC, in various colours. Would they bother to even try and secure one for me. Nope. All too hard, wouldn't even make a phone call. They lost my business.

Went home disgruntled. Checked Carsales, found numerous target vehicles, and rang a dealer interstate. After half an hour on the phone I had the deal done and delivery date scheduled to align with a business trip. .... All good and I eventually drove home a happy customer.

This whole sad story is a classic tale of poor service and salemanship from *some* dealers.
Other dealers, like the one I chose, couldn't do enough to help. They even picked me up from the train station for vehicle collection.

Maybe in a major city the dealers are more responsive, and the market is probably be more competitive.
Old 22-04-2016, 02:17 PM   #26
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How come it is taking so long to predeliver your car?
Sorry, missed this question.

The car came earlier than expected. I'm away until the end of next week.

The contract was also subject to inspection, and I needed to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb and test driving it before deciding whether I'll take it.

Because of that, they weren't going to order the 10 double spoke wheels that I wanted until I have confirmed that I'll go ahead with this purchase - which I have now done. Apparently, however, there are only 3 of these in Australia, so I'll have to take delivery of the car with the standard 20 spoke rims for now. Those 10 double spoke wheels are 4-6 weeks out.

It's currently at the panel shop getting the tailgate realigned as it was a mm or 2 out.
Old 22-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #27
lne
Starter Motor

Hi there, newbie here.

Looking at a MD trend and have briefly spoken to a ford dealer where I've purchased a couple of cars before. They seem to believe they can get me a car within 2-4 weeks and it won't have to be built to order. Looking on car sales there only appears to be a handful of ecoboost trends in white or silver so I'm not overly confident of their claims.

Has anyone on here ordered one and not had to have it come from the factory? I assume it is possible to be lucky sometimes, like when I bought my focus a ship had just arrived with some unallocated stock, but i haven't read many stories online of people being able to find them in stock. There are a couple of diesels around, but I'm not wanting another diesel this time.
lne is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #28
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Work ordered my Mondeo trend wagon in white on Febuary 2 and it wont be ready till late July early August, what a joke. If i knew this i would of ordered a VW Passat wagon and had it in 3 weeks. No wonder they are doing so badly.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2016, 06:12 PM   #29
R12RT

After a 7 month wait, the day has finally arrived.

Tomorrow I am taking delivery of my new Mondeo.
Old 02-06-2016, 06:20 PM   #30
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
After a 7 month wait, the day has finally arrived.

Tomorrow I am taking delivery of my new Mondeo.
Congrats! Please post some pictures when you get the car!