Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Not V8 Supercars

I was on Facebook last night and reading my Cousins thread he is behind the scenes as part of channel 10s coverage somebody wrote to him about the job and also mentioned the V8 Supercars race and he said they are not called V8 Supercars anymore just Supercars I wonde if that is a backdoor deal so Holden can run the new Commodores with awd and twin turbo V6s just wondering thats all John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 
Default Re: Not V8 Supercars

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...e2d12cbf7f9f6f

Yep the change was made in July 1st 2016 by James Warburton.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not a backdoor deal for Holden. As from next year, any-one can run whatever they like, body, engines, as long as they all use the same RWD chassis .....clip on whatever bits you want.
The Australian V8s are dead, and they are going to "take it to the world in cars that the world knows".
Supercars have been dead to me since they introduced the COTFs.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Yep , turbo's , turbo's, turbo's everywhere and not a V8 to be seen (maybe) in a few years time...Hopefully the Mustang and the Camaro if GM does send it here will hold up a V8 flag ..Just the same I wonder would the Barra T have ever seen racing days if things had been different...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Gen 2 COTF allows any engine combo, ford could run a Ecoboost v6 or 4 banger if they wanted.

No AWD, still RWD only.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

And wait until you see the V8 Utes SuperUtes
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Not V8 Supercars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
And wait until you see the V8 Utes SuperUtes
Are they going to be those big wheeled, jump around, fall apart, truck things that now appear with the main game ? ?
Old 04-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #8
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked View Post
Gen 2 COTF allows any engine combo, ford could run a Ecoboost v6 or 4 banger if they wanted. No AWD, still RWD only.
There was talk some time that ago Holden could run a twin turbo V6 this year at Bathurst, as an experiment/ comparison.
I wonder if it will happen, and what body ( VF or NG) would be on it ?
Old 04-03-2017, 03:46 PM   #9
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
There was talk some time that ago Holden could run a twin turbo V6 this year at Bathurst, as an experiment/ comparison.
?
It's for exhibition only to show the fans the upcoming PSA Commodore with the TTV6.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 04:18 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by last fairlane View Post
I wonde if that is a backdoor deal so Holden can run the new Commodores with awd and twin turbo V6s just wondering thats all John
God I hope so...V8 supercars are boring as bat guano. I suppose now at least it's not a two horse race with just things that look like Commodores and Falcons, but still...return it to the good old days of several classes of car all racing together, of all cylinders and capacities, and you had no idea what was going to happen or what upset would let some underdog in an unexpetced type of car get up into the lead.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 07:54 PM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
God I hope so...V8 supercars are boring as bat guano. I suppose now at least it's not a two horse race with just things that look like Commodores and Falcons, but still...return it to the good old days of several classes of car all racing together, of all cylinders and capacities, and you had no idea what was going to happen or what upset would let some underdog in an unexpetced type of car get up into the lead.
Motor racing has lost credibility ever since about the mid 2000s, namely F1 and also V8 Supercars. Racing should be about getting from point A to point B in the least amount of time possible, whatever it takes. As soon as there are regulations about fuel economy, or what green fuel E85 to use, the engine capacity and KERS technology, it's really not racing anymore... is it ?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
God I hope so...V8 supercars are boring as bat guano. I suppose now at least it's not a two horse race with just things that look like Commodores and Falcons, but still...return it to the good old days of several classes of car all racing together, of all cylinders and capacities, and you had no idea what was going to happen or what upset would let some underdog in an unexpected type of car get up into the lead.
Ah, no.
The cars are all basically the same underneath, but you can make the exterior look like anything you want. So they can pretend to be racing whatever FWD POS Toyota or Nissan are selling.

And yes, from the next gen, that will also include a wider variety of engines.

On its own, it would be a foolish move, reminiscent of the destruction of the old touring car championship. But since the Falcon and Commode are essentially dead, they had to do something to keep the contest "relevant."

The competition was created to capitalise on the Falcon v Commode rivalry, at the time still the 2 biggest selling cars. That rivalry is now historical only, so they have no choice but to adapt.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 PM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what about 2litre tourers in UK & Europe are they all the same chassis? Dont think so and they have some fantastic racing, biff and push thrown in plus quality drivers.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:13 AM   #14
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Actually, the BTCC do run control chassis...along with engines...its just as much has a silhouette formula as Supercars is...

Infact, all the major/top touring car classes are...

\≡≡T≡≡/
5 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:39 AM   #15
80rs

BTCC doesnt run a control chassis they only have controlled width all bodies must be from original car manufacturer. They also have the option of the using the NGTC fia motor or whatever the car manufacturer supplies
80rs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 06:04 AM   #16
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

All hail the Warbster!
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 08:01 AM   #17
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Motor racing has lost credibility ever since about the mid 2000s, namely F1 and also V8 Supercars. Racing should be about getting from point A to point B in the least amount of time possible, whatever it takes. As soon as there are regulations about fuel economy, or what green fuel E85 to use, the engine capacity and KERS technology, it's really not racing anymore... is it ?
yep ....***** the regs and open it up so racers can dream up all kinds of mods just a few basic limitations

all these colar and tie w@#$%rs in board rooms think we all want real close racing ...so its like stock cars (nz version) and smash each other off the track ...i want to see technical innovation (within reason ) and if someones way out in front ....then catch up suckers

the only sport that really excites me at the mo is americas cup racing , i know its got its problems with all the legal crap....but i find it really interesting what teams have what on the boats compared to the others and why theyre faster .....weird and i know diddly squat about sailing

i see team nz have made the sale grinders into a row of bikes...pedal power , be interesting to see how that works , and its gonna look really odd ??

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 09:26 AM   #18
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80rs View Post
BTCC doesnt run a control chassis they only have controlled width all bodies must be from original car manufacturer. They also have the option of the using the NGTC fia motor or whatever the car manufacturer supplies
Front and rear subframes are controlled, and the center tub must conform to bolt to those sections.

There is more then control on width...bodies have to be a minimum length, and profile. 2 door coupes have to share a sedan profile etc

\≡≡T≡≡/
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #19
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was announced late 2015 or early 2016 that the category was dropping V8 and becoming just supercars from 2017 onwards from memory.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #20
scoupedy

Bring back the touring cars format the v8 super cars were race cars with falcon or Commodore shape bodies that weren't even the same size.
So many of my friends think they are the same as the road cars. Had numerous arguments with them.
The V8 s will disappear as the turbocharged cars take over.
scoupedy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #21
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I never liked the '2 horse race'.I grew up watching Fords, GM, Chrysler, Mazda, Jags, etc all going around Bathurst (mind you the big boys always complained about 'slow cars' but that made it more interesting IMO). I agree the F1 is a joke with all the restrictions they have in place. Its also been, on a mathematical scale, on sided because there have been more GMs in the V8s than Ford. It would have been a waste of time without the Datsuns (opps Nissans), Mercs and Volvos. I suprised Ford has won anything over the past few years. Lets hope they get it right. I would be funny if we were still watching 2016 Fords racing in 2020.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:55 AM   #22
XBGS500
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post

Yep I agree but go back to about 98 when the shells started to be assembled around the cage VT on. That's when it really got boring as bat ****. I consider myself lucky to even only barely remember the last of the group C cars and wish I could have seen improved production...
XBGS500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 12:03 PM   #23
yakabot

I rarely see the super cars anymore. Lost interest when it disappeared from being free to air every race. (Same as superbikes. Loved them but now can't see them)
However, saw a bit of the clipsal yesterday, and 1st thing I see is ute things jumping over ramps. Not that it wasn't fun to watch and 3 wheel cornering, but what are they??
yakabot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

anyone who talks about 'the good ol' days', has a poor memory
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #25
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Good old days of toranas winning by 6 laps?

\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #26
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Good old days of toranas winning by 6 laps?
but even in those days, the cars were slow, because they weren't really race cars.

people wish to go back to production car racing without realising there still is production car racing that they can go and support.

personally i'd rather the premier category is purpose built race cars that handle and go fast.

my only wish was that at the advent of CotF, they started all brands on a clean slate instead of allowing existing engines for 2 of the brands to carry over. Should have mandated all starting fresh with modern OHC engines and multivalve tech.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #27
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Are they going to be those big wheeled, jump around, fall apart, truck things that now appear with the main game ? ?
No.
Turbo diesel duel-cab utes/Trucks?
Should be plenty of rollovers.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 10:33 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
but even in those days, the cars were slow, because they weren't really race cars.

people wish to go back to production car racing without realising there still is production car racing that they can go and support.

personally i'd rather the premier category is purpose built race cars that handle and go fast.

my only wish was that at the advent of CotF, they started all brands on a clean slate instead of allowing existing engines for 2 of the brands to carry over. Should have mandated all starting fresh with modern OHC engines and multivalve tech.
That would have ruled out any holden v8 back then. Couldnt have had that, not in formula holden. It will be interesting to see the how the holden supporters take to the new commodore v6 racecar.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 11:05 PM   #29
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

My thoughts exactly.

Gave production car racing a go in the old SBS speedweek days...wasn't exactly the most thrilling thing.

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 05-03-2017, 11:56 PM   #30
XBGS500
Starter Motor

Quote:
My thoughts exactly.

Gave production car racing a go in the old SBS speedweek days...wasn't exactly the most thrilling thing.
The last sandown 500 I went to, we left after the historic touring cars finished and didn't give a thought as to the fact the V8 Supercars race was up next. On the drive home my dad and I (who have been to Bathurst and followed the ATCC since forever) just looked at each other and said wow these things (v8 Supercars) have lost us.

I guess I'm saying I'd much rather see the slow fire breathing dinosaurs than the current COTF sports sedans, so each to their own, it's a personal preference and it's what makes us all different.
XBGS500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post